• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

It's weird playing this right after the Uncharted 4 campaign. The frequency of the combat encounters is giving me shooting fatigue. There's a friggin drop pod every 2 minutes. Couldn't they have mixed it up a little?

You've gone from an action adventure game that has one, maybe two menaingful encounters a chapter to a true third-person shooter.

If you're early on, stick with it, it dramatically picks up after the first act or so.

But if you bought Gears of War and don't have the stomach for lots of combat, I think you're probably going to be disappointed.

Hope you power through to see the best the game has to offer.

DeaDPo0L84

me and the wife are going to be starting our first horde mode run in about 10 mins. I keep hearing horror stories of people dropping out so if 3 others want to group up and try to complete it in its entirety just lemme know.

You've gone from an action adventure game that has one, maybe two menaingful encounters a chapter to a true third-person shooter.

If you're early on, stick with it, it dramatically picks up after the first act or so.

But if you bought Gears of War and don't have the stomach for lots of combat, I think you're probably going to be disappointed.

Hope you power through to see the best the game has to offer.

lol I think JB1981 has played more Gears of War than 99% of NeoGAF, I dont think you need to explain the franchise to him...

Bought an esports pack, game gave me 2 shitty black steel weapon skins, 2 generic shitty weapon skins and an emblem. Last time I gamble on some shit like that. Can't believe they even put anything less than a legendary in it.

It's weird playing this right after the Uncharted 4 campaign. The frequency of the combat encounters is giving me shooting fatigue. There's a friggin drop pod every 2 minutes. Couldn't they have mixed it up a little?

There's seemingly no downtime in Gears and there's nothing but downtime in Uncharted. Of course its going to be weird

EBE

Horde mode definitely needs join in progress. Would help when people quit. It also needs some sort of failure state. I can't believe you can keep retrying a wave as many times as you want. If teams only had three or so 'retries', that is, after the entire team is wiped, I think that would also help with the quitting situation, even if indirectly. People need to know they can lose and things can be over quickly else they get frustrated and bored and simply quit out.

Bessy67

Horde mode definitely needs join in progress. Would help when people quit. It also needs some sort of failure state. I can't believe you can keep retrying a wave as many times as you want. If teams only had three or so 'retries', that is, after the entire team is wiped, I think that would also help with the cutting situation, even if indirectly. People need to know they can lose and things can be over quickly else they get frustrated and bored and simply quit out.

I'm not sure about a failure state. Failing on wave 40+ after an hour of playing would be incredibly frustrating. I would like them to add some kind of Horde express mode that was only 10 waves though, and for that all players wiping should be a failure.

Horde mode definitely needs join in progress. Would help when people quit. It also needs some sort of failure state. I can't believe you can keep retrying a wave as many times as you want. If teams only had three or so 'retries', that is, after the entire team is wiped, I think that would also help with the quitting situation, even if indirectly. People need to know they can lose and things can be over quickly else they get frustrated and bored and simply quit out.
A fail state is a terrible idea.

EBE

I'm not sure about a failure state. Failing on wave 40+ after an hour of playing would be incredibly frustrating. I would like them to add some kind of Horde express mode that was only 10 waves though, and for that all players wiping should be a failure.

Definitely agree with the express horde mode. That would be great. But a limited retry system would be useful. If your team gets wiped in quick succession during a boss wave the unlimited retries really harms the experience, I think, making it VERY difficult to come back because, again, as with gears 3 horde mode, your turrets and other emplacements are gone. A system not unlike halos firefight might well be implemented that gives an extra retry or two for each 10th wave completed. Good teams will not waste them early on, allowing them to stack for higher levels where they are required

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Definitely agree with the express horde mode. That would be great. But a limited retry system would be useful. If your team gets wiped in quick succession during a boss wave the unlimited retries really harms the experience, I think, making it VERY difficult to come back because, again, as with gears 3 horde mode, your turrets and other emplacements are gone. A system not unlike halos firefight might well be implemented that gives an extra retry or two for each 10th wave completed. Good teams will not waste them early on, allowing them to stack for higher levels where they are required

The game does this. Your energy is depleted and all emplacements you lost are gone.

rdytoroll

Can a kind soul help a Versus noob with some questions please:

1. What do you get for leveling up? I have these cards, which give me EP for doing stuff, but leveling up doesn't give you anything I think

2. Is there any form of pay2win in this game? I see cases that you can buy, do these hopefully only give skins?

3. Does everyone spawn with the same weapon choices in TDM?

4. How do I get grenades, do I have to unlock them?

5. Where do you see your ping in game? (Xbox One)

Also have to say that the campaign was awesome, loved it

1. What do you get for leveling up? I have these cards, which give me EP for doing stuff, but leveling up doesn't give you anything I think

2. Is there any form of pay2win in this game? I see cases that you can buy, do these hopefully only give skins?

1. You get credits for levelling up that let you purchase loot crates

2. no pay to win, crates contain xp challenges like 10 kills in a game for bonus xp and character/weapon skins

3. everyone has the same stuff

4. grenades and other weapons are available on the map itself, on PC you hold down SHIFT to see where they all are

5. dunno how to do this on xbone sorry!

Voliko

I'm not sure why they insist on sticking to 50 waves. It's too long. 25 meaningful waves would be better

1.XP (your numbered level) and credits (to open cases)
2. Cases contain different things, some contain bounties and some contain cosmetics
3. You can change your weapons during the round countdown by pressing Y
4. You spawn with smoke, incendiary, shock and frag are map pickups
5. Don't think you can, I might be wrong about this

rdytoroll

1. You get credits for levelling up that let you purchase loot crates

2. no pay to win, crates contain xp challenges like 10 kills in a game for bonus xp and character/weapon skins

3. everyone has the same stuff

4. grenades and other weapons are available on the map itself, on PC you hold down SHIFT to see where they all are

5. dunno how to do this on xbone sorry!

1.XP (your numbered level) and credits (to open cases)
2. Cases contain different things, some contain bounties and some contain cosmetics
3. You can change your weapons during the round countdown by pressing Y
4. You spawn with smoke, incendiary, shock and frag are map pickups
5. Don't think you can, I might be wrong about this

Thank you both, really helpful. Gotta say, this MP is damn fun

Leyasu

Banned
I think that that esports pack is probably the most cynical smash and grab that I have ever seen.

Great work TC...

I think that that esports pack is probably the most cynical smash and grab that I have ever seen.

Great work TC...

Yeah, I have to admit it made me laugh.

They are only skins admittedly but I really hate this trend in multiplayer games. Much preferred the Gears 3 system for character skins where you unlocked them as you ranked up. I'd like the
Baird skin
but it'll take me a while to save up enough scrap to get it or get lucky.

Miker

Looking for players for Horde some time soon - probably around NA 4pm eastern time, although I'm somewhat flexible.

Horde without a party is ridiculous, everyone leaves at like wave 15 every time.
I take it you can't just start Horde up at the last wave you completed?

That's my favorite aspect of Gears 4. Its a shooter, knows its a shooter, focuses on the shooting, and it keeps the action going with a hefty serving of meat and potatoes Gears combat. That's what I'm here for.

Can someone please tell me what is the difference between credits and XP? I don't play many online games, and this shit is confusing. Also, why no rolling lobbies in team death match?

Can someone please tell me what is the difference between credits and XP? I don't play many online games, and this shit is confusing. Also, why no rolling lobbies in team death match?

XP = you can't spend, it just raises your level
credits = you can spend on either customization options or buying packs to level up your horde classes

You can use credits to buy different boxes, which will give you new skins, bounties and skills for Horde mode.

XP levels you up - the number next to your name. Also worth noting that you gain 500 credits for every 5 level ups so it's worth doing bounties to get you there quicker.

Qwyjibo

Anyone having trouble playing campaign co-op?

I'm on PC playing with a friend on Xbox. Last night things worked fine and we finished act 1. Today, the game will drop whichever one of us isn't hosting right back to the main menu during the loading screen.

I can't believe I even want to spend $10 on a pack.

Luckily I got a rainbow gnasher in my first elite pack so I think I'll just stick with that. Doesn't look great on Locust tho

I bought one of those $10 packs (more because I want to see high level gears play and events) and got a Russian flag thing and two weapon skins. Holy horseshit that is bad.

It doesn't even make sense because more poeple would probably spend more if they were $3 each, even if it was as high of a chance of getting duplicates.

$3 each or 5 for $10. That's what these skin packs should be.

malfcn

Noon. Epic Guardian come back... And my kitty touches the capacitive button and turns off the xbox right before match ends. 😩

Anyone having trouble playing campaign co-op?

I'm on PC playing with a friend on Xbox. Last night things worked fine and we finished act 1. Today, the game will drop whichever one of us isn't hosting right back to the main menu during the loading screen.

My friend and I, both on PC, can't even start the campaign we just get errors it's crap.

No fix for it either and every other game we've ever played is fine.

If you're having trouble connecting in co-op and one of you gets booted on loading it's probably that 'teredo' bollocks

I had to use a guide to sort it before I could play co-op

IJoel

Despite the prologue feeling like an afterthought, I'm really loving the campaign. The graphics look amazing. Some of the best I've seen this gen.

Quit my first ranked game just now. Started a 5v2 and I just couldn't be bothered to get camped. It's happened before and I've just taken it, but fuck that.

What is the penalty for quitting?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
JinnBot is so dumb looking.

Cracks me up whenever she shows up.

Top Bottom