• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Ok. I've been behind this card system until now. Are you seriously telling me that for $10 all I get is
5q6YGdj.jpg

I bought every eSPORT skin pack for Gears1 UE.

NEVER.AGAIN.F.U.

I wanted to get one for Kait, but I guess I'll pass especially at that price. Looks like MS doesn't want me to spend money either since it says it's not available even though it's after 9PM on a Saturday for me.

I see the eSports pack now. $10 for Random stuff, ehh..
Yeah don't bother, the odds aren't worth it.

I just opened two e-sport pack and got Kait on the second package. So happy! xD

Very lucky, enjoy the skin!

The fact that you got 2 skins is even crazier.

The pack should have a guaranteed character skin, two guaranteed weapons, and two emblems. That way it can still be over priced and give you crap you don't want while still being subtle.

Holy shit guys I've been basically singing nothing but praise for Gears 4 outside of the card pack system, but this stuff is predatory as hell and beginning to ruin the game for me.

Like, in general, it's souring my whole experience knowing the devs are doing this kind of stuff and going to spend the next year introducing new be schemes to harvest money out of people.

Jobbs

Banned
The best buy is the elite pack for $5 or whatever because it's all skin type stuff. If you buy an ops back you'll get a bunch of XP challenge cards or whatever and one skin, and hte one skin is almost always an emblem. That emblems (which I wager no one cares about in even the smalllest way) occupy the same slot as an actual skin makes it bullshit.

After more play I think my favorite mode is possibly dodgeball because there's always a chance to make a comeback, which in itself is exciting. My least favorite mode is probably guardian because it leads to some of the most dull and boring standoffs.

The best buy is the elite pack for $5 or whatever because it's all skin type stuff. If you buy an ops back you'll get a bunch of XP challenge cards or whatever and one skin, and hte one skin is almost always an emblem. That emblems (which I wager no one cares about in even the smalllest way) occupy the same slot as an actual skin makes it bullshit.
The question I would like TC to answer is, why is there even Commons in a $10 ESPORT supporter pack?!?!? I don't mind helping support them and get a few good DIGITAL items in return, but this is RIDICULOUS!

B3N1

The pack should have a guaranteed character skin, two guaranteed weapons, and two emblems. That way it can still be over priced and give you crap you don't want while still being subtle.

Holy shit guys I've been basically singing nothing but praise for Gears 4 outside of the card pack system, but this stuff is predatory as hell and beginning to ruin the game for me.

Like, in general, it's souring my whole experience knowing the devs are doing this kind of stuff and going to spend the next year introducing new be schemes to harvest money out of people.

Yeah, it's bad, but seeing as they mostly have skins for the lancer, gnasher and the snub, I don't even care about them. Got a cool looking, non-animated gnasher skin, and I think I'm done, the rest of my credit is gonna be spent on horde-versus packs in a 2:1 ratio.

I'd like to get outsider Kait, but iirc it's 600 scrap, which gets me 15 horde cards of my choice. I'm good with armored Kait, thanks.

Rest of the skins feel out of place for me, the whole zombie and day of the dead thing is ridiculous, and I laugh every time I see a someone hiding behind cover with their green glowing shotgun sticking out.

Apart from the starting packs, they don't even reward you other packs, like BF or Halo 5 does. But seeing this thread, people are still buying this shit up, so it works for them I guess.

With how they introduced season passes too, this is getting way out of hand from how some of us saw it as 'whales are paying for our maps'.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Pretty much.

who created this cash grabbing scheme of packs? call of duty? such BS, you spend a lot of money for stuff you might not even like most of the times

Jobbs

Banned
I like my 100 point pink gnasher skin more than any of the super glow in the dark ones. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ So it's cool I could get that without relying on chance.

I just wish there was a way to get a character skin I liked. I want girl v-day gear and I'm starting to think it'll never happen because I'm not going to drop $200 into this

I also don't understand why Coalition treated Hammerburst as if it's not a core weapon. All the other core weapons have lots of skin variety. I have tons of cool Lancer skins and I never use Lancer. There's one neat Hammerburst skin (the same one that's available for every weapon) but it's so expensive there's really no practical way of getting it outside of extreme, extreme luck.

Also I strongly prefer playing COG because I prefer the narrower female skin that's available on COG side characters. They should either offer this form factor on Swarm (girl locusts? evil humans? skinny robots? idk there's always something they could do) or let me state a preference for COG so it'll shuffle me into a COG team if it can.

B3N1

I like my 100 point pink gnasher skin more than any of the super glow in the dark ones. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ So it's cool I could get that without relying on chance.

I just wish there was a way to get a character skin I liked. I want girl v-day gear and I'm starting to think it'll never happen because I'm not going to drop $200 into this

I also don't understand why Coalition treated Hammerburst as if it's not a core weapon. All the other core weapons have lots of skin variety. I have tons of cool Lancer skins and I never use Lancer. There's one neat Hammerburst skin (the same one that's available for every weapon) but it's so expensive there's really no practical way of getting it outside of extreme, extreme luck.

Also I strongly prefer playing COG because I prefer the narrower female skin that's available on COG side characters. They should either offer this form factor on Swarm or let me state a preference for COG so it'll shuffle me into a COG team if it can.

I got the foam gnasher in one of my starter packs. Destroyed it for a plain yellow one. Would get yellow or white from other guns, but none are available and the Lancer is the weapon I never use.

Arjen

Just finished the campaign on Hardcore solo, great stuff, difficullty was perfect, but im guessing some parts will be frustrating on Insane.

Also got some codes to give away, Gears 1, 2 and 3 because i alreay own them, one per person and only if you dont own it please. First come first served.

oo7

Crates and Lootboxes are always a gamble. Literally cosmetic shit that in no way affects gameplay. Why get bent out of shape about that??? Wanna get pissed about packs, lemme tell you about a game and mode called Madden MUT or as I like to call it MOTHERFUCKER

Isn't there four?
The circular lift, the village, the massive lift, and act 5

Really? Hate the horde acts. It breaks the immersion for me.

Its like, take a break from the campaign and check out our new horde mode.

If I want to play horde, there is a great mode for that.

Edit. Not dissing horde. Just don't think it fits in the campaign.

Jobbs

Banned
Crates and Lootboxes are always a gamble. Literally cosmetic shit that in no way affects gameplay. Why get bent out of shape about that??? Wanna get pissed about packs, lemme tell you about a game and mode called Madden MUT or as I like to call it MOTHERFUCKER

Cosmetic shit matters a lot to some of us. It's a large part of the fun.

Miker

Just finished the campaign on Hardcore solo, great stuff, difficullty was perfect, but im guessing some parts will be frustrating on Insane.

Also got some codes to give away, Gears 1, 2 and 3 because i alreay own them, one per person and only if you dont own it please. First come first served.

I'll take Gears 3 if you still have it.

Brakara

Horde without a party is ridiculous, everyone leaves at like wave 15 every time.

Pretty much this. I still stand by my pre-launch statement that public Horde mode matches should be 10 waves only. 50 is just stupid when most players will leave long before that.

It's weird playing coop with someone who is on console while on pc. You see their character animate at 30fps while everything else is at 60+ lol.

Ricker

Am I missing something with the Act 3 chapter fight with the Boss ?...he keeps running away with someone or whatever,tried about 20 times now and objective failed bullshit happens,playing solo on normal...Kaith dies right at the start,got to revive her fast and it gets worst from there,managed to last a while a few times but cant beat this part.So clunky and poorly made.

Brakara

I sent Miker the code to Gears 3, but I have the codes for the other games as well if anyone wants them (one per person). Just quote this and ask for what you want.

Just finished the campaign on insane. Act 5 was hands down the best act of any gears game ever. And the twist at the end is pretty crazy.

The first swarmak encounter can suck every dick ever though fuck that battle.

oo7

Cosmetic shit matters a lot to some of us. It's a large part of the fun.

Gears 3 literally just let you buy skins. Would you prefer that option? Just want to understand the outrage. They gave us the option to not have to pay with the earned credits but they had to balance it out some way. Not trying to justify a cash grab but I am in favor of devs getting extra income throughout the life of the game.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Gears 3 literally just let you buy skins. Would you prefer that option? Just want to understand the outrage. They gave us the option to not have to pay with the earned credits but they had to balance it out some way. Not trying to justify a cash grab but I am in favor of devs getting extra income throughout the life of the game.

Look at Overwatch. This is more or less the same just more aggressive.

SliChillax

Just finished Gears 1 Ultimate edition and it's such a great game. Really wanna buy this but I haven't played Gears 2 since it came out and I've missed Judgement and Gears 3 so I don't wanna spoil the story by jumping straight to Gears 4. Wish they would announce Ultimate editions of the X360 games.

You can't buy the esports skins with scrap, heck you don't even know what's inside it, going by the trailer, you'd think it's just 4 skins; at least overwatch does give that option for it's limited stuff.

Jobbs

Banned

I'd prefer they let you just pay money for the skin you want. Ever heard of League of Legends? That's their model. They seem to be turning a profit.

Barring that, though, they should at least stop being cute by mixing emblems into the same slots as skins in some of the packs. Opening an operations pack and finding only XP cards and an emblem and no skin is really annoying.

Gears1 UE had eSPORT skin packs that gave you a special character and 2 skins, lancer/gnasher for $5.99 or just lancer/gnash gnasher for 3.99. I'll take that any day than spinning a wheel and getting fuck all for $10.

This should've been 1 special character, Lancer/gnasher PLUS a random pack for $10. That is honestly what I thought I was getting when I watched video. Stupid me for assuming it was a good deal and not paying closer attention. :/

I dont even mind the way they are doing the loot boxes it's the brutally slow credit acquisition that makes the situation worse. The progression is set up to reward you for playing no matter how good you are usually but this one is just set up to frustrate you and make you consider spending real money because the time it's take to buy enough packs to craft a skin you want is insane.

Theorry

I hope they only make JD looking abit older in GOW 5.
He has abit of a baby face atm wich makes him look abit generic. Just watched the Tomorrow teaser again and in that he has abit of a beard. Looks better imo.

Having trouble getting into Horde. I go through the menus and matchmaking but then the loading screen hangs at 75%. This happening to anyone else?

Edit: 3rd time's the charm.

who created this cash grabbing scheme of packs? call of duty? such BS, you spend a lot of money for stuff you might not even like most of the times

The gods of PC gaming, Valve.

As someone who spent way too much money in CSGO, it's funny and depressing seeing people say "you have to spend up to $300 on esports pack to get everything you want" because I spent over $600 on keys over the course of ~3 years and never got a knife in CS, hell I never even got a Covert skin (equivalent of an Epic skin in this game)

The crates in this game are absolute shit

It takes like 2-4 hours to get enough credits for an elite pack, and all I get are some shitty skins and country emblems

Why they couldn't give you an elite pack every 5 levels is beyond me (obviously to make more money)

The crates in this game are absolute shit

It takes like 2-4 hours to get enough credits for an elite pack, and all I get are some shitty skins and country emblems

Why they couldn't give you an elite pack every 5 levels is beyond me (obviously to make more money)

Takes me about that long for a normal ops pack, elite ones I've gave up even thinking about.

I don't get why people are so angry about the packs. Just don't buy them and play the game.

Not buying the stupid packs doesn't prevent you from playing the game or enjoying it. The skins are stupid anyway. I have a rainbow pistol on my characters ass just so when someone asks me about it I can say "why you staring at marcus' ass, bro?"

I figure that I'll unlock what I unlock and not going to stress about getting other stuff.

I dropped $40 on the esport gears pack. I'll watch most of the tourney so I figured I'd contribute plus I didn't buy the game thanks to game sharing. Got the black steel gnasher which I wanted but I got 3 black steel Reyna's and 3 black steel retro lancers. Never buying a pack again because all I get are dupilcates. Seriously TC you guys have gotta get your shit together with these packs. Your game is awesome but your pack system sucks and it's turning me off from your game.

I don't get why people are so angry about the packs. Just don't buy them and play the game.

Not buying the stupid packs doesn't prevent you from playing the game or enjoying it. The skins are stupid anyway. I have a rainbow pistol on my characters ass just so when someone asks me about it I can say "why you staring at marcus' ass, bro?"

You absolutely need to buy the Horde packs though. I doubt Insane is possible without upgrading skills

Ricker

Guys,for the Boss fight or that big Snatcher dude at the end of Act 3,do you concentrate on yourself not getting swallowed up and not bother reviving the AI and just shooting at it when it has someone else...? should I shoot Blobs on the floor so he doesnt use them at some point...I just keep failing this objective,cant go on,dont want to drop to easy yet...

UncleMeat

Here's an amusing post from the gears forum:

I say insulting as a collector, but degrading is another good word for it. I mean insulting as, I've spent ~$2400 on this game to get all of the in-game items, now they expect us to spend another $200? I don't think so, and if I'd known that it would be like this, you can bet your ass I wouldn't have spent a penny.

Hey this guy isn't going to spend another penny after his initial $2400 investment, that'll show 'em!

They would fix this stuff by next week if people would just stop buying packs for a few days. They'll never sell individual skins or improve the credit payout with addicts like this guy playing the game.

Top Bottom