• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

vac

Neo Member
Does anyone have a full list of the playable characters in multiplayer? I need my Sam.

Sorry if posted already!

Moofers

I posted this on the Gears forums as well, but I know TC members are watching this thread so I wanted to post it here as well.

Can you send a message up the chain for us? For Gears 5, please let everything be playable without an internet connection. I realize the support pack things are your extra revenue, but you are effectively putting an expiration date on your game. At some point, the servers will be shut off. That means there will be no more Horde 3.0 ever again. I think its reasonable to expect gamers to understand this for a game like Overwatch where there is no single-player content whatsoever, or even World of Warcraft where you are obviously playing a game that demands a server with other active players to do quests with. Those games will go away one day and I think people understand that because the only experience they've ever known with them has been to play them online with other people.

That said, Gears 3 Horde can be played anytime, regardless of server status. Same with Gears 2. I think Gears fans expect that tradition to continue so to learn that they can only play the game when the conditions are right is a real disappointment. I have great internet speed but from time to time my connection will have an issue. Its not very often honestly, but it happens. Sometimes it will happen on the only night I get to play games. Another thing to consider is that Xbox LIVE occassionally gets hacked and is down for days at a time. When you're reliant on game servers, you aren't in control of your own fun and that's the problem.

One of the reasons I discovered playing solo Horde in Gears 3 is the online community dried up and finding a game with other people meant playing on a limited selection of maps with people who would likely drop after 5-10 waves. I eventually got tired of feeling like I was wasting my time and I began to play solo, which turned out to be a ton of fun. I understand that I can continue to play alone if matchmaking starts to dry up down the road, but I still don't appreciate that I'll need to be online to do it because sometimes I just won't be able to. I am 36 years old with adult responsibilities. I am not a kid who can play hours at a time on any night of the week. Its easy to say "Ah go do something else!" but most of the time I've BEEN doing something else the rest of the week and now I want to play. Nobody wants to be told they can't play the game they bought because the internet is down or Xbox Live was hacked or the game's servers are not functional.

Another thing that I think is greatly undervalued is the ability to have a LAN party. I hosted a space for two years at the Midwest Gaming Classic back in 2012 and 2013 and we had Gears 3 Horde running on 3 linked setups (2 split-screen and one solo screen). There was no way to connect to the internet, but we didn't need to because the game can be played offline. I see a trend in general gaming now where people are more vocal about their love for co-op (VS used to be the only thing you'd ever hear about) and I think Gears 4 will miss out on a great opportunity for fan events like this. PAX has 4 shows every year and in a few weeks I'll be hitting the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Gears 4 could have had awesome Horde LAN parties where people who overlooked the game as this competitive e-sports thing would have seen something more appealing to them in Horde and maybe those people could have been new fans. Not to mention the fans that put these things together would grow a deeper appreciation for the game through these get-togethers. Horde is a really undervalued mode that could be utilized to grow the Gears community and the need for an internet connection for these parties is a barrier it didn't need.

Please take all this into consideration for the next game. I'm still excited for the game but the online only trend is one that I think a lot of players are ready to see go away. Thanks for hearing me out and I'll see you in Horde 3.0!

Does VPN for early unlock work? If so, how do you do it with Windows Store? With Steam you have to go offline, restart Steam, etc but I have no idea how it works here.

Loved the first 3 (3 being an all time favorite), really didn't care for Judgement so was luke-warm on this but last weeks of news has me excited. Some questions

-this game isn't playable offline?

-the card system, are there cards like how Requisitions work in Halo 5? Like, I use a card and get a power weapon midmatch like in Warzone mode? I ask because sometimes the game kicks me for using a card since it has to hit the server for that data and bam! 20mins and resources lost.

-has it been 100% confirmed Run The Jewels are playable? How do you get them?

Moofers

Loved the first 3 (3 being an all time favorite), really didn't care for Judgement so was luke-warm on this but last weeks of news has me excited. Some questions

-this game isn't playable offline?

-the card system, are there cards like how Requisitions work in Halo 5? Like, I use a card and get a power weapon midmatch like in Warzone mode? I ask because sometimes the game kicks me for using a card since it has to hit the server for that data and bam! 20mins and resources lost.

-has it been 100% confirmed Run The Jewels are playable? How do you get them?

Campaign is playable offline. All other modes require a connection.

blue_phazon said:
You can also play splitscreen versus including bots offline. You just let the "connecting to servers" thing roll on and it'll eventually just put you in a menu where LAN and local versus are highlighted. I saw a streamer do this last night when xbl was down. He was playing with bots to pass the time and show the maps.

Now the question is....does this also work for horde?

Wasn't aware of the above. Thanks for the info!

Cards work a bit differently than in Halo. You don't use them mid-match, you use them in the lobby and they unlock perks/abilities and/or characters and weapon skins. All weapons are available to everybody regardless of what cards they have, you just pick them up on the map where they spawn or where an enemy drops it.

RTJ ARE playable starting November 1st. Not sure how they are obtained as that hasn't been detailed yet.

bought few tostino pizza and got 3 codes, zombie JD, zombie Lancer, and bounty card, but got 3 of the bounty card. ZOmbie gnasher is missing. FUCK

I could not find the rockstar cans at my walmart

Campaign is playable offline. All other modes require a connection.

Cards work a bit differently than in Halo. You don't use them mid-match, you use them in the lobby and they unlock perks/abilities and/or characters and weapon skins. All weapons are available to everybody regardless of what cards they have, you just pick them up on the map where they spawn or where an enemy drops it.

RTJ ARE playable starting November 1st. Not sure how they are obtained as that hasn't been detailed yet.

You can also play splitscreen versus including bots offline. You just let the "connecting to servers" thing roll on and it'll eventually just put you in a menu where LAN and local versus are highlighted. I saw a streamer do this last night when xbl was down. He was playing with bots to pass the time and show the maps.

Now the question is....does this also work for horde?

A quick question : With Play Anywhere, i can play both the PC and the Xbox One version at the same time with the same Microsoft Account ? (Because a friend of mine will probably take my Xbox One to his home so we can co-op the campaign)

A quick question : With Play Anywhere, i can play both the PC and the Xbox One version at the same time with the same Microsoft Account ? (Because a friend of mine will probably take my Xbox One to his home so we can co-op the campaign)

I think as long as your XBox is set to the home console, then yes.

I posted this on the Gears forums as well, but I know TC members are watching this thread so I wanted to post it here as well.

Can you send a message up the chain for us? For Gears 5, please let everything be playable without an internet connection. I realize the support pack things are your extra revenue, but you are effectively putting an expiration date on your game. At some point, the servers will be shut off. That means there will be no more Horde 3.0 ever again. I think its reasonable to expect gamers to understand this for a game like Overwatch where there is no single-player content whatsoever, or even World of Warcraft where you are obviously playing a game that demands a server with other active players to do quests with. Those games will go away one day and I think people understand that because the only experience they've ever known with them has been to play them online with other people.

That said, Gears 3 Horde can be played anytime, regardless of server status. Same with Gears 2. I think Gears fans expect that tradition to continue so to learn that they can only play the game when the conditions are right is a real disappointment. I have great internet speed but from time to time my connection will have an issue. Its not very often honestly, but it happens. Sometimes it will happen on the only night I get to play games. Another thing to consider is that Xbox LIVE occassionally gets hacked and is down for days at a time. When you're reliant on game servers, you aren't in control of your own fun and that's the problem.

One of the reasons I discovered playing solo Horde in Gears 3 is the online community dried up and finding a game with other people meant playing on a limited selection of maps with people who would likely drop after 5-10 waves. I eventually got tired of feeling like I was wasting my time and I began to play solo, which turned out to be a ton of fun. I understand that I can continue to play alone if matchmaking starts to dry up down the road, but I still don't appreciate that I'll need to be online to do it because sometimes I just won't be able to. I am 36 years old with adult responsibilities. I am not a kid who can play hours at a time on any night of the week. Its easy to say "Ah go do something else!" but most of the time I've BEEN doing something else the rest of the week and now I want to play. Nobody wants to be told they can't play the game they bought because the internet is down or Xbox Live was hacked or the game's servers are not functional.

Another thing that I think is greatly undervalued is the ability to have a LAN party. I hosted a space for two years at the Midwest Gaming Classic back in 2012 and 2013 and we had Gears 3 Horde running on 3 linked setups (2 split-screen and one solo screen). There was no way to connect to the internet, but we didn't need to because the game can be played offline. I see a trend in general gaming now where people are more vocal about their love for co-op (VS used to be the only thing you'd ever hear about) and I think Gears 4 will miss out on a great opportunity for fan events like this. PAX has 4 shows every year and in a few weeks I'll be hitting the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Gears 4 could have had awesome Horde LAN parties where people who overlooked the game as this competitive e-sports thing would have seen something more appealing to them in Horde and maybe those people could have been new fans. Not to mention the fans that put these things together would grow a deeper appreciation for the game through these get-togethers. Horde is a really undervalued mode that could be utilized to grow the Gears community and the need for an internet connection for these parties is a barrier it didn't need.

Please take all this into consideration for the next game. I'm still excited for the game but the online only trend is one that I think a lot of players are ready to see go away. Thanks for hearing me out and I'll see you in Horde 3.0!

Quoting for exposure. This is something that MS needs to take note of if they're going to play nice in the PC gaming landscape. Well put.

Ecto311

Pre orders from amazon still working for tomorrow or coming late next week? Wanna play tomorrow and this weekend but heard forza preorders didn't work right and it came late.

FireRises

anyone know if you buy the evga card from amazon, if they still send you the code or are they completely out of the promotion? I'm looking to order my GTX 1080

KaYotiX

Banned
ordered ultimate edition at best buy!!! $20 off thx to gamers club :)

Just wish the digital version they sold worked with gamers club. :(

Cross-posting from the review thread:

Okay, I'm in for the Ultimate Edition based off reviews.

How do I upgrade my Standard Edition pre-order to an Ultimate Edition? I tried buying the Season Pass separately on the Xbox Store but it says the Season Pass is currently not available.

What gives? How do I upgrade?

Kalentan

Cross-posting from the review thread:

Okay, I'm in for the Ultimate Edition based off reviews.

How do I upgrade my Standard Edition pre-order to an Ultimate Edition? I tried buying the Season Pass separately on the Xbox Store but it says the Season Pass is currently not available.

What gives? How do I upgrade?

Id contact Microsoft support as I don't think it's built in normally to allow users to upgrade.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Quick question on the Ultimate Edition, is the Gears of War collection available on PC as well? I'm planning on buying this and playing on PC exclusively.

Best Buy shipping notification!

kN8EdDS.png

... for the mug and coaster set

giphy-downsized-large.gif

exactly my issue LOL

Top Bottom