• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Loved the first 3 (3 being an all time favorite), really didn't care for Judgement so was luke-warm on this but last weeks of news has me excited. Some questions

-this game isn't playable offline?

-the card system, are there cards like how Requisitions work in Halo 5? Like, I use a card and get a power weapon midmatch like in Warzone mode? I ask because sometimes the game kicks me for using a card since it has to hit the server for that data and bam! 20mins and resources lost.

-has it been 100% confirmed Run The Jewels are playable? How do you get them?

In competitive multiplayer there is nothing that affects game balance, all cards dedicated to that mode are cosmetics or challenge bounties. All the gameplay related cards are for Horde only.

So what's the deal with the extra stuff I can pick up with products at WalMart? Saw it mentioned in this thread but no details.

I need all the skins. ALL OF THEM!

pizzacat

Banned
Looks like its going to be a refund + repurchase kind of scenario. It gets the job done but it's kinda crummy they don't have and upgrade pathway because this will mean I'll have to redownload the game just to get the correct license attached.
Mine is a code :[

Theorry

Looks like its going to be a refund + repurchase kind of scenario. It gets the job done but it's kinda crummy they don't have and upgrade pathway because this will mean I'll have to redownload the game just to get the correct license attached.

Dont think you will need to redownload again.

I'm 40 years old and I don't understand how the season pass works.

Ask away. :)

Z_Y

Dont think you will need to redownload again.

Ask away. :)

lol. Thanks.

I want to buy it because I'd like to get the ultimate edition for the off chance I get time to play it a bit this weekend. But...I feel like I'm not seeing the benefit.

What does "permanently own all maps to play privately on dedicated servers" mean? Can I play solo on these? Can I invite friends that do not own the season pass? Am I just thrown into a hopper with other season pass owners? Is there a server browser? Are maps taken out of the rotation if I don't own the season pass?

Sorry for so many questions. I really want to pick it up for early access and the $10 discount...but I'm just confused as to what exactly I'm getting.

I seem to be very uninformed, but on Amazon the physical copy of the game isn't released until the 11th, but if I buy digitally, I will get the code immediately? Also, will the game not unlock until the 11th? Lastly, based off some of the posts in this thread, it also appears people will be able to play tomorrow?

I'm so confused lol.

I seem to be very uninformed, but on Amazon the physical copy of the game isn't released until the 11th, but if I buy digitally, I will get the code immediately? Also, will the game not unlock until the 11th? Lastly, based off some of the posts in this thread, it also appears people will be able to play tomorrow?

I'm so confused lol.

Ultimate Edition gets 4 day early access.

ElNino

I'm
almost
40 as well, and it was confusing too. I was going to upgrade to the Ultimate Edition, but it doesn't seem worth it for me this time. Seems like we will all get the new maps as they release, but we will only be able to use the 10-12 maps in the rotation at any given time (for matchmaking or private). If you are a season pass holder, you can use any map for private, in or out of rotation.

That's how I understand it at least.

I'm so confused lol.
No, you'll only be able to play if you buy the $100 version of the game. Otherwise you're waiting til the proper release date in the 11th.

Trup1aya

It sounds like you'll get 2 maps per month for a year, and some bonus powerups? I don't get it much either.

When it comes to matchmaking, all maps will free. However, each month, they will change the maps that are in rotation. When a map is taken out of rotation, it also won't be available to play in private matches.

People who purchase the season pass will be able to host private matches on any map, even if it isn't in rotation.

So your $40-$50 is getting you unlimited access to all maps. Whereas people who don't buy it will be subject to rotation or hoping they know someone who can host their favorite maps.

Theorry

lol. Thanks.

I want to buy it because I'd like to get the ultimate edition for the off chance I get time to play it a bit this weekend. But...I feel like I'm not seeing the benefit.

What does "permanently own all maps to play privately on dedicated servers" mean? Can I play solo on these? Can I invite friends that do not own the season pass? Am I just thrown into a hopper with other season pass owners? Is there a server browser? Are maps taken out of the rotation if I don't own the season pass?

Sorry for so many questions. I really want to pick it up for early access and the $10 discount...but I'm just confused as to what exactly I'm getting.

This explains it the best really. From Pez. :)

Just to comment on the rotation. We plan on releasing two new maps every month. We didn't want overwhelm players especially as we get 6 - 12 months down the road with 22 - 34 maps that they needed to be familiar with to be successful. We plan on taking community feedback on what maps they want in and out and constantly rotating them. As long as you own the map, you can play that map in privates in Horde, Versus, Co-op vs Bots. If a someone owns a map, that person can host and share among everyone else even if they don't own it. This also includes spectators who just want to watch and may not own the map.

Here is a detailed breakdown of the SP to help clear things up.

• The SP offers access to 24 post launch DLC maps at anytime in private play. We plan to release 2 per month. The maps can be used in private play even if they aren't in the playlist rotation. They do not expire and this isn't a subscription for one year. You will have them forever.
  • The SP also offers access to the Developer Playlist which will give you early access to the maps prior to them being released and in their own special playlist. You can try them out before others and match against others owners of the SP on this playlist.
  • It also includes an Airdrop that includes 5 Operations Packs, 5 Versus Boosters, 5 Horde Boosters and 2 Elite Packs. 85 cards in total. This replaces the six pack offer and kicks it up to 17. Text is still being updated at retailers.

• Versus Boosters include five random consumable Bounties for use in Versus MP. Versus Bounties offer XP rewards for completing the bounties objective in a Versus match. If you fail the bounties objective, they are not consumed. They are only consumed if you succeed.

[*]Horde Boosters include four random Horde skills along with a consumable Horde Bounty. Horde Bounties offer XP rewards for completing the bounties objective in a Horde run. If you fail the bounties objective, they are not consumed. They are only consumed if you succeed.

[*]Operation Packs include five random cards of these types -- Character Skins, Weapon Skins, Horde Skills, Versus and Horde Bounties. You are guaranteed a rare card or better.

[*]Elite Packs provide five random cards of these types -- Character Skins, Weapon Skins, Horde Skills, Versus Bounties and Horde Bounties but you are guaranteed an epic card or better.
We will have more info on cards in a dev blog coming very shortly. Hope that explains some items a bit.

ElNino

When it comes to matchmaking, all maps will free. However, each month, they will change the maps that are in rotation. When a map is taken out of rotation, it also won't be available to play in private matches.

People who purchase the season pass will be able to host private matches on any map, even if it isn't in rotation.

So your $40-$50 is getting you unlimited access to all maps. Whereas people who don't buy it will be subject to rotation or hoping they know someone who can host their favorite maps.
What about the maps are available "on disc", will they be available for private matches if/when they are bumped out of the rotation? The comment from Coalition mentions being able to host private on any maps you own, but what constitutes ownership for non SP holders. What's on disc + the rotation, or rotation only?

vg260

I'm still a bit confused about Horde mode, the Season Pass and owning maps.

Is Horde mode multiplayer only or can it be played single player offline?

If single player is possible, does that mean if I don't own the season pass, and I just want to play offline, single player horde mode, I can only use the maps in rotation?

If single player is possible, does that mean if I don't own the season pass, and I just want to play offline, single player horde mode, I can only use the maps in rotation?

Horde can be played in a private match solo but it requires an internet connection.

If you don't own the season pass then I'm pretty sure the only maps you can play on in private games are the 10 that come on the disc at launch.

Yes Horde can be played single player, but I assume you can only play on the rotation maps.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Best Buy, damn you. You tell me the order shipped this afternoon but don't allow me to track the package until tomorrow, when it's supposed to be here.

Well played BB, well played.

ElNino

Horde can be played in a private match solo but it requires an internet connection.

If you don't own the season pass then I'm pretty sure the only maps you can play on in private games are the 10 that come on the disc at launch.
Yes Horde can be played single player, but I assume you can only play on the rotation maps.
This is where some of the confusion is coming, what is available outside of matchmaking for non SP owners? I guess we might not find out for sure until the first DLC/rotation update.

I didn't realize that you could get early access from the ultimate edition. I'm assuming I'll still get that if I buy the digital version? I have a 3 day weekend and would rather not wait until Tuesday to grab it. :p

Not getting the Ultimate Edition but I'm so ready for more Gears. Great to see it's reviewing will.

tumblr_lzka8vDWR01qi2twuo1_400.gif

Top Bottom