• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Onyx is above Diamond though..no?

nope

gears-of-war-4-ranking-system.jpg

nOoblet16

Strange, in Halo Onyx is above Diamond and the top 200 players are basically Champion rank.

But Halo 5 also goes like Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Onyx and Champion.

Jumeira

Banned
Got some playtime with the game today, was underwhelmed with the prologue and Act 1 but Act 2 and the little I've played of Act 3 was great. Can't wait to continue the campaign. Graphics also looked much better once I hit Act 2.

kyJ0C0l.gif

ANdUwuW.gif

RHCVeTI.gif

I've passed this bit, but good god, what an amazing looking game, unbelievable at times. Coalition and Scorpio should be something special.

Addnan

Is it possible to find ranked match on PC? I've tried so many days, peaks times, off peak times. I play on EU, but have tried switching to east coast US still nothing. quick play takes seconds.

Got some playtime with the game today, was underwhelmed with the prologue and Act 1 but Act 2 and the little I've played of Act 3 was great. Can't wait to continue the campaign. Graphics also looked much better once I hit Act 2.

Keep playing; the game gets better as you go along. I was bored in the first half, but the later half gets fun.
I skipped nearly all the cutscenes as the story is pretty much non-existent and the parts I did see were silly. But the game clearly had high production values.

Grisby

For me, Gears of War is all about movement - a lot more than Uncharted. There's a real skill gap built into the cover system and you can immediately tell how experienced someone is by how they traverse the map.
Yeah, I should have specified that I meant more movement as in like you can rope swing in UC4. The climbing adds a verticality to it as well that, of course, you can't get in Gears because it's not designed for that.

Although Judgement actually tried to add that.

nOoblet16

Yea it indeed is quite amazing what they have achieved with the Xbox One...at 1080P for the most part to boot.

Whats even more amazing is that the MP is 60FPS with relatively mild sacrifice to visuals and still be 1080P for the most part.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How is this even possible? Even the random
missiles it shoots from its back
would kill me when in complete cover. I hope you took a video because I think that's a pretty rare thing to happen at all let alone on Hardcore.

I beat it solo on hardcore without ever dying but I was basically never not on the catwalks above. You can hit the inside of the generators from there too, the missiles never were able to do much.

m23

How is this even possible? Even the random
missiles it shoots from its back
would kill me when in complete cover. I hope you took a video because I think that's a pretty rare thing to happen at all let alone on Hardcore.

It's definitely possible. Just requires patience.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Me and my brother finished the campaign and it was so much fun. I give the game a 9 and he gives it an 8.5. The ending was abrupt though. And this will most likely be my GOTY, even as a Naughty Dog fanboy I enjoyed this much more than Uncharted 4. So excited for Gears Of War 4. Im hoping it's a 2018 release.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Been doing my placement matches for KotH in Core. Man, some games in this are WORSE than social quickplay. Just people aimlessly ignoring objectives or wandering around on both teams. Then the next game the enemy team stomps out a victory. Jesus.

I can't for the life of me distinguish between COGs and DBs in multi.

This is an issue for me as well most times.

Just met every shitty player in Horde tonight. People buying the wrong things, quitting at random times, wasting heavy weapons.

Great mode but bad players will kill it.

nOoblet16

Initially this was an issue for me, but I got used to it quickly. I still think the DeeBees should have been part of the COG's though lol.
Yep they should have included DeeBees with COG since...well they are COG. Especially since the outsiders are included as COG when they are the ones COG fight.

Basically they should have just done this COG/DeeBees/Outsiders vs Locust/Swarm. And use all the characters from the series.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, below I believe.

I started at Bronze 3 but have managed to make my way up the rankings fairly quickly. As I've said though, at my current rank, there's a lot of stacked teams now.

It's tough going.

I'm at Onyx 2 and my ratio is exactly .5 so I guess that means matchmaking is working? Like you said though the only games I'm losing are ones when I come up against
a team of people who obviously play together (same gamertag etc). I'm probably at my limit without a good team.

Just had an INCREDIBLE first ever game of Horde (Normal) on Forge. 2 dudes quit by round... I think 13, but me, the guy in my party, and a rando made it all the way round 40. Seriously intense. 2 Engineers and a Soldier. I'm convinced that if we'd had a Scout, we'd have finished it out. Basically nobody in those first rounds bothered to deposit energy, either. If we'd had the energy to keep our manned turrets up and running, I think we coulda gone the distance.

The beginning is so unbelievably boring. Finally playing as the kid.

Edit: more absolutely boring firefights. This game is looking to be absolutely bog standard.

Granjinha

I'm almost finishing it (nearing the end of act IV) and unless there is a huge drop in quality (something i doubt) this is undeniably the best gears of war campaign in the entire series

holy fuck, huge props to the coalition

chixdiggit

So great to be playing this with a mouse and keyboard. That alone makes it my favorite Gears title as I absolutely stink with a controller.

psychotron

I'm almost finishing it (nearing the end of act IV) and unless there is a huge drop in quality (something i doubt) this is undeniably the best gears of war campaign in the entire series

holy fuck, huge props to the coalition

I finished the game and immediately started it again. I'm loving it just as much. I've never wanted to play a Gears game again, besides the first. Coalition knocked this one out of the fucking park!

Xyber

I'm at Onyx 3 and quitting is a regular occurrence. I'm hoping to make the jump to Dianmond soon... God knows what that will be like...

Same here, but playing on PC I still get ranked with bronze and people playing placement matches so...

I've been stuck on Onyx 3 for so long too, guessing it's because I have never even seen anyone at diamond yet and that it takes much longer to rank up playing against all these silver players.

An-Det

I feel like I'm missing something, but how do I start a campaign game as an online host? I want to do co-op insanity and can connect to people's games online, but not sure how to start one and get playing and then people can join afterwards mid-game.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
This quitter bullshit in Core needs to be addressed.

Fucking infuriating.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I was watching a stream earlier and they mentioned how you don't get a loss when you quit. Can anyone verify that?

That's stupid if true. They should make it so you get a double loss plus time ban (reasonable) if you quit. They could make it so you can quit a match with relatively no penalty once every 3 hours to make sure people aren't getting penalized for disconnects and whatnot out of their control, but after that it should be a pretty big penalty.

I wish there was a higher tier than diamond. Even in Diamond, I still feel too far above everyone else I'm currently playing even without a team backing me up. If I'm dropping 20+ steadily even in a game mode like Dodgeball against people that are supposed to be my skill, I find that pretty goofy.

I wish there was a higher tier than diamond. Even in Diamond, I still feel too far above everyone else I'm currently playing even without a team backing me up. If I'm dropping 20+ steadily even in a game mode like Dodgeball against people that are supposed to be my skill, I find that pretty goofy.

Seems like they get ranks they don't deserve for some reason. I've run into a few diamonds/onyx playing with my friends on Xbox and I've destroyed them.

Meanwhile the game refuses to rank me up despite me barely ever losing, and having MVP in 45% of my matches..

Ballistik

Yeah I play King with a team of 3-4 usually and I probably already have about 15 wins on my diamond. My win ratio is like 86%, I think I've only lost like 10 ranked matches in the 70 I have played. The ranks need to be fixed.

I know halo does that number next to your rank when you are in onyx, maybe they should incorporate something like that in Gears to differentiate within the rank.

Hey can somebody answer this real quick please. Xbox players can play with PC players? I have an Xbox one and my friend on PC wantS to buy it if he can play with me. Are they completely the same servers and everything?

Top Bottom