• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Montresor

Does someone agree with me on this?

Escalation is WAAAAY too long!!! Some rounds take almost 3 minutes and it's First To 7 Wins to end a match???

I've been in a bunch of rounds where no one successfully caps all three rings and we wait for a score of 210 to end the round....

Ballistik

Does someone agree with me on this?

Escalation is WAAAAY too long!!! Some rounds take almost 3 minutes and it's First To 7 Wins to end a match???

I've been in a bunch of rounds where no one successfully caps all three rings and we wait for a score of 210 to end the round....

Yes I agree. Maybe drop it to first to 5.

The currency system is shit. Compared to, say, Overwatch and even Black Ops 3, its stingy and slow to earn credits.

Super disappointed with The Coalition on this.

I bought the season pass and there's a $100 loot pack bundle? They have to be kidding! It's just the microtransactions make them super slow with the earring of credits just for playing.

Really bumming me out.

Yup, I love playing horde mode but if you try using more than one class you are screwed since it's already almost impossible to grind enough cards to scrap to properly upgrade the skill cards for the class you chose, never mind trying to spend 3500 on a chance at skins. The ultimate edition was basically a fart in the mouth after seeing how every new item is going to cost even more money lol

EBE

I was about to hit wave 50 when the Xbox had to update :(
It was just me and a random, too. No mic, either of us. We were kicking ass.
Hardcore difficulty. Feels bad man

AXE

I don't think I've wanted to play a game like this since... Resident Evil 4. I just want MORE!

That said, I do think that there are quite a few issues that could've been handled better and I will tackle these quite brutally in my review later on. One thing though that pops to mind is the game's way to slap you in the face with the ads for microtransactions. In principal, I have no qualms with microtransactions in general. Its easy money. But, no means no. And the game should learn that. Tastes fracking bad.

Made a little video to get my friend to buy the game so that I wouldn't have to go through the campaign solo.

I was just kinda whipping it together but I sort of liked the idea of Horde U and I will most likely make more with more care in composing, vocals and of course the cutting.

jg4xchamp

The optimization is great for this game. The game runs max for me at 1080p and over 100 frames in multiplayer. It's so good. And gears with a field of view for human beings? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

UncleMeat

I don't think I've wanted to play a game like this since... Resident Evil 4. I just want MORE!

That said, I do think that there are quite a few issues that could've been handled better and I will tackle these quite brutally in my review later on. One thing though that pops to mind is the game's way to slap you in the face with the ads for microtransactions. In principal, I have no qualms with microtransactions in general. Its easy money. But, no means no. And the game should learn that. Tastes fracking bad.

Made a little video to get my friend to buy the game so that I wouldn't have to go through the campaign solo.

I was just kinda whipping it together but I sort of liked the idea of Horde U and I will most likely make more with more care in composing, vocals and of course the cutting.

So that's original music and vocals?

Ricker

Finished the campaign(solo) and besides a few really hard spots,even on normal,I liked it a lot...Chapter 5 was awesome and nicely done at the end there,good stuff.Might restart on casual to try and find the collectables,cant believe I missed half of them.

ClearData

I threw in the towel today. After four days of trying to play campaign co-op with my brother on our Windows 10 PCs and getting a connection timed out error each time I had enough. I even followed every support tutorial on the forums and Xbox.com. I am now 0/2 on Universal Windows Apps as Quantum Break and Gears of War 4 were no goes.

I don't even know who is to blame here? By many accounts Gears of War is technically proficient on PC but matchmaking was a nightmare for me. Now maybe I'll rent it one day and try split screen co-op on the Xbox One, but I can't justify giving Microsoft and The Coalition $59.99 for this product despite how much I was looking forward to it.

Finished the campaign yesterday. Very impressive.

I had a lot of fun with it. Fuck the
Swarmak
fight though. Even on co-op it was brutal and we were only on hardcore. I've never been more frustrated with AI in my life. Watching Marcus slowly dance around my downed body while a Juvie hops around him and smashes my head like a pumpkin had me raging.

I'd really like them to bring back the squad commands and have them actually work this time. I think I tried them a couple times in Gears 1 and they just never did what I asked.

f@luS

More than a member.
Any way to effectively save video settings or it's really bugged ? If I close the game completely it resets to default

Salz01

Just want to say that the campaign is fun. Mid way in Act 3, and it's picked up nicely. After most of the xbone first parties games have been disappointing, I'm glad this one delivers.

Novocaine

I threw in the towel today. After four days of trying to play campaign co-op with my brother on our Windows 10 PCs and getting a connection timed out error each time I had enough. I even followed every support tutorial on the forums and Xbox.com. I am now 0/2 on Universal Windows Apps as Quantum Break and Gears of War 4 were no goes.

I don't even know who is to blame here? By many accounts Gears of War is technically proficient on PC but matchmaking was a nightmare for me. Now maybe I'll rent it one day and try split screen co-op on the Xbox One, but I can't justify giving Microsoft and The Coalition $59.99 for this product despite how much I was looking forward to it.

If you're getting the same error with both games it could be something to do with your system. Maybe as simple as a setting change.

Sucks though man.

Ricker

Any way to effectively save video settings or it's really bugged ? If I close the game completely it resets to default

A lot mentionned this...I think its bugged...I left mine as is,like most games,it seems my HDTV calibrations are fine I guess lol ;)...annoying if you want to change it though(I am talking X1).

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Had a 40-kill game on KOTH that disconnected from the server just before the match ended. Dammit.

Btw, ya'll weren't kidding about that Hammerburst. Shit is lethal.

I just figured there'd be a loss state. Like, fail a round and it's Game Over. Had No idea you have infinite opportunities to try again.

There needs to be after like 3 attempts. It's pointless to do it over and over since the game erases your Power but maintains equipment damage and loss. By wave 30 yesterday, everything had been wiped out so we couldn't do anything but quit.

ClearData

If you're getting the same error with both games it could be something to do with your system. Maybe as simple as a setting change.

Sucks though man.

I wish it was something that I could have fixed on my end. I really tried.

• Checked that the firewall was letting Gears 4 through.
  • Forwarded the ports for the Xbox Live Service.
  • Reinstalled the Toredo service on two PCs to make sure that Xbox Live services could connect. Verified that connection through the Xbox One app on Windows 10.

I didn't even know the tunneling protocols for Xbox Live were using IPV6 protocols and there is a whole involved tutorial on the Xbox support site I followed. I wish I had the option to try to play with my brother on the Xbox One, but he only has a PS4 and PC. And after all the news of the great port we were really, really excited. He is a really big Gear Head and has played every one until 4. He even got me into the series.

I'm just so really disappointed. I want to believe that Microsoft can get PC gaming right because they have the de facto gaming OS, but they are the Cleveland Browns of PC gaming, they just keep taking those Ls. UWA is on the level of GFWL right now. And I really didn't read those rage threads from the past few days. But I am having the exact same experiences people are aggrieved about.

Had a 40-kill game on KOTH that disconnected from the server just before the match ended. Dammit.

Btw, ya'll weren't kidding about that Hammerburst. Shit is lethal.

Yep, in the right hands it's the shit. With the small mag and low ammo I'd argue it's balanced but I'm sure once people start whining they'll nerf it. And if they're anything like Epic it'll get overnerfed and become useless.

After completing Gears of War 4 campaign I would rate the campaign's as follows:

3 + Raam's Shadow>1 & 4> Judgment > 2.

Though I still really love Gears of War 2 I feel it is the weakest entry in the series. Even though some people would disagree I think Judgment beats Gears 2 a little bit due to the fact for my love of Baird and Cole. Gears of War 3 had the most epic feel and had the most stakes to it (it should since it is the third in a trilogy). Gears 3 I believe felt the longest compared to the other games. Plus the Raam's Shadow DLC campaign was very good. Finally Gears of War 1 the one that started it all still holds up quite well and the tone is somewhat similar to how Gears 4 feels like. Gears 4 did feel a little bit short but still a great campaign nonetheless.

lol had my first encounter with some manchild today in social.

For no reason at all he just starts attacking me because I'm a level 60, throwing personal insults the whole game. It's Gears, so to be expected that someone would be a dick. What was unexpected was how other people in the lobby were asking why he was being such a dick for no reason because I didn't even do anything.

naitosan

Started playing Gears 4, goddammit The Coalition is now one of my favorite developers. The graphics' most cleanest and detailed I've ever seen on XB1. They managed to get Unreal Engine 4 to run amazing on XB1. I'm really having alot of fun, look forward to play some more.

I'm more than glad to give The Coalition $60. They deserves it.

Montresor

• Reinstalled the Toredo service on two PCs to make sure that Xbox Live services could connect. Verified that connection through the Xbox One app on Windows 10.

I didn't even know the tunneling protocols for Xbox Live were using IPV6 protocols and there is a whole involved tutorial on the Xbox support site I followed. I wish I had the option to try to play with my brother on the Xbox One, but he only has a PS4 and PC. And after all the news of the great port we were really, really excited. He is a really big Gear Head and has played every one until 4. He even got me into the series.

I'm just so really disappointed. I want to believe that Microsoft can get PC gaming right because they have the de facto gaming OS, but they are the Cleveland Browns of PC gaming, they just keep taking those Ls. UWA is on the level of GFWL right now. And I really didn't read those rage threads from the past few days. But I am having the exact same experiences people are aggrieved about.

The only thing I can think of is, how many copies of the game did you buy? One or two? And do you and your brother live with each other or apart?

f0lken

Hi! Maybe this has been answered here. But I just bought this game on Windows Store an it won't boot, it shows the logo and couple of seconds later it just closes itself. No error message or anything, please help me :(

ClearData

The only thing I can think of is, how many copies of the game did you buy? One or two? And do you and your brother live with each other or apart?

We each bought a copy on our accounts. We live in the same house and use the same network but that hasn't been an issue before with other games. Is that an issue with Gears 4?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
These maps are totally underwhelming. They all look the same and have no character. They're not terrible, they just don't have that Gears soul that I'm used to seeing in the maps.

In Competitive Execution, that is. I'm enjoying the game, but man, these maps are meh.

Montresor

We each bought a copy on our accounts. We live in the same house and use the same network but that hasn't been an issue before with other games. Is that an issue with Gears 4?

No I don't know of any known issues. The game should work in your scenario and if it doesn't you both need refunds.

Maybe have one of your computers be on a different network (I.e. tether a smart phone's data plan / hot spot to one of the PCs) for a short test. You don't want to kill your phone's data but just seeing if that lets you connect might shed light on the issue.

Perhaps tweet Rod Fergusson to have him look into this.

Either way, sucks, and refunds are in order I'd hope.

Edit: Also!!! You mentioned that one day down the line you might play splitscreen co-op on an Xbox. You know splitscreen co-op should be available on PC too?

Novocaine

You know you can cross play between Xbox and PC for all but social competitive PvP right?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
They all look the same and have no character. They're not terrible, they just don't have that Gears soul that I'm used to seeing in the maps.

I'm enjoying the game, but man, these maps are meh.

Yes, that's a good way to put it. I don't mind the map layouts. After 4 games there really are only so many layouts that can be used.

But aesthetically they leave a lot to be desired. They kind of all just blur together and lack the diversity of prior games. Look at prior maps (e.g., Mercy, Thrashball, Trenches, Jacinto, Blood Drive, Ruins, Pavilion, Canals, Fuel Depot, etc.)

The problem is that they can't keep bringing back the great maps from previous games because people will complain. People want new content, not quality content.

I wish we could just get all the great maps from 1 and 3 and remake them for this game but it'll never happen

The problem is that they can't keep bringing back the great maps from previous games because people will complain. People want new content, not quality content.

I wish we could just get all the great maps from 1 and 3 and remake them for this game but it'll never happen

With The Coalition's aim to deliver two new maps a month, there's no chance they won't remix some more of the old ones.

ClearData

No I don't know of any known issues. The game should work in your scenario and if it doesn't you both need refunds.

Maybe have one of your computers be on a different network (I.e. tether a smart phone's data plan / hot spot to one of the PCs) for a short test. You don't want to kill your phone's data but just seeing if that lets you connect might shed light on the issue.

Perhaps tweet Rod Fergusson to have him look into this.

Either way, sucks, and refunds are in order I'd hope.

Edit: Also!!! You mentioned that one day down the line you might play splitscreen co-op on an Xbox. You know splitscreen co-op should be available on PC too?

Unfortunately I do not have mobile tethering as part of my plan so that is not an option. On the bright side I was granted a refund after 45 minutes on the phone with support giving it one more go with no luck.

I thought of tweeting or posting on official Gears channels but there are multiple threads with nearly 100 posts describing my same problem so I didn't see the point.

As far as split screen goes I wouldn't mind it but my brother hates it. So maybe I can coax him to use it but I doubt it. He really wanted the full Gears experience on one screen and I felt the same, but he is more uncompromising.

As of now he just has to call in for his refund so we can wash our hands of Gears 4. We will probably be playing Dead Space 3 together next as consolation.

ClearData

You know you can cross play between Xbox and PC for all but social competitive PvP right?

I was made aware of that but I let my Xbox Live Gold lapse and I really didn't feel like paying for it again. PC multiplayer is free. And we were kind of set on a 60 FPS+ presentation on all modes as our PCs are pretty specked out. :-

Xyber

Yep, in the right hands it's the shit. With the small mag and low ammo I'd argue it's balanced but I'm sure once people start whining they'll nerf it. And if they're anything like Epic it'll get overnerfed and become useless.

It's extra powerful against people who don't know how strong it can be. Like in this game, they just kept rushing me out in the open. Then one guy complained that I used Hammerburst with a mouse, on the PC version..

BMRMQMl.jpg

Xyber

HB is probably the closest thing to OP in this game.

I'll drop my shotgun for a power weapon before I drop the HB

It could use a nerf yeah. But I think it should be more of a damage drop-off at range, not just a pure damage nerf at all distances or whatever.

It's so easy (especially on PC) so take someone down from really far away with 3 bursts.

Citadel

I finished the main campaign over the weekend, and damn, that ending. Just when I was ready for more... I really didn't understand the significance of the
pendant
, which is why I had to look it up. (Either because it's been so long since I've played the original trilogy, or I actually never finished Gears 3. I think the latter is correct, but I can't remember). I felt like the game started off on a slow foot, but Act 2 (and especially Act 3) really got the ball rolling. Absolutely fantastic.

Either way, I had an incredible time with Gears 4. I hadn't played any other Gears much since the original game launched on the 360, but 4 is bringing back a flood of memories, both from its SP and MP. I'm going to go through the original trilogy (already 75% done with GoW: Ultimate Edition), and thanks to the Ultimate Edition of 4, I have Gears 2, 3, and Judgment to play through as well, before jumping back into Gears 4 for some Insane Co-op.

Big shout-out and a huge thank you to The Coalition for bringing me back to a game that I absolutely adored a decade ago. Everything that I loved about the original is still there, and works as I remember, while the areas that were lacking are now up to the contemporary standard. I can see myself sinking a lot of hours into this (and the Modern Warfare remaster, because nostalgia) during the holiday season.

v1ncelis

So after I was done with Mafia III earlier today I jumped in Gears of War 4. I'm still in prologue so like only a few minutes into the game so I can't form opinion on game play just yet but one thing bothers me for sure - look of the game. Game in my opinion looks a bit too cartoonish.
Might it's just me but ever since Gears 3 I really miss dark and gritty look of first Gears. Even before GoW 4 reveal I was hoping they will go back to it's roots and will try to make Gears more dark and scary. I wish one day we would get these Gears.

To be clear - I'm not hating just think that world, characters and story are better suited for that look.

Ballistik

I prefer the competitive tuning over core. The reason is pretty simple. Core is made to be more casual, everyone is easier to kill, and it can make people play really good because guns do more damage. I switched over to competitive and it just feels better. You can take a few extra shots without getting killed. This makes some enemy encounters more engaging because they last longer. You get breathing room to avoid shots or evade.

I know the Coalition said that they couldn't please everyone, so their solution was to have two different tuning setups to cater to both audiences. I hope that in a few months when the majority of people who play casually move over to the next game... that they stick with one tuning setup or at least find some happy medium.

please don't get the hammerburst nefred y'all =(

There's no way it doesn't get touched at this point. It was only a matter of time before people started to catch on to how ridiculous it is.

I just hope they don't take away the long range capabilities but even then, any kind of worthwhile nerf will probably make the weapon useless just because of the nature of burst weapons in shooters and how difficult they are to balance.

Either way, if the Hammerburst gets buried then it'll just be time to move on to the Enforcer which is criminally underrated in my opinion, especially on maps and in modes that promote more frequent close quarters encounters.

balohna

So after I was done with Mafia III earlier today I jumped in Gears of War 4. I'm still in prologue so like only a few minutes into the game so I can't form opinion on game play just yet but one thing bothers me for sure - look of the game. Game in my opinion looks a bit too cartoonish.
Might it's just me but ever since Gears 3 I really miss dark and gritty look of first Gears. Even before GoW 4 reveal I was hoping they will go back to it's roots and will try to make Gears more dark and scary. I wish one day we would get this Gears.

To be clear - I'm not hating just think that world, characters and story are better suited for that look.

Looks a lot like Gears 4 Act 3 actually.

It could use a nerf yeah. But I think it should be more of a damage drop-off at range, not just a pure damage nerf at all distances or whatever.

It's so easy (especially on PC) so take someone down from really far away with 3 bursts.

Admittedly its damage at range could get toned down a bit. In a game that promotes cover you'd think this shouldn't be an issue but there are too many shotty runners that'll whine about getting picked off in the open. The HB just isn't quite as good at short range as the other two and without active the bursts are far enough between that after the first one most will be able to get into cover. So its ability to hit accurately at range is its only real advantage. You don't feel that same overwhelming melting effect that the Lancer and Enforcer have when someone finds you out of cover.

Has anyone done a TTK test between the three loadout rifles at different ranges?

please don't get the hammerburst nefred y'all =(

I hope it doesn't but if enough people bitch you can be assured it'll get castrated. Hopefully it's not back to the beta level of crap.

If the Hammerburst does end up nerfed to death, people should keep in mind that this is the kind of stuff that the Enforcer is capable of. It does take some time to adjust to the range, spread and clip size but when you get a feel for it the weapon is absolutely bonkers.

XEtmZdl.gif

seph1roth

FUCK THE
SWARMAK

FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT AND OF COURSE FUCK IT AGAIN!

This is the hardest Gears of the entire series...by far.

God lord Coalition XD

Top Bottom