• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

m23

FUCK THE
SWARMAK

FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT FUCK IT AND OF COURSE FUCK IT AGAIN!

This is the hardest Gears of the entire series...by far.

God lord Coalition XD

Somehow I managed to get past that part without dying, on hardcore at least. Insane will be another story.

nOoblet16

So after I was done with Mafia III earlier today I jumped in Gears of War 4. I'm still in prologue so like only a few minutes into the game so I can't form opinion on game play just yet but one thing bothers me for sure - look of the game. Game in my opinion looks a bit too cartoonish.
Might it's just me but ever since Gears 3 I really miss dark and gritty look of first Gears. Even before GoW 4 reveal I was hoping they will go back to it's roots and will try to make Gears more dark and scary. I wish one day we would get these Gears.

To be clear - I'm not hating just think that world, characters and story are better suited for that look.

Even Gears 1 didn't really look like that and had quite monotonous colour palate. But that dark look has been gone since Gears 2 (which had absolutely zero night maps, because people complained). Gears 3 atleast tried to do some night maps.

There are also few reasons, UE3 lighting in Gears 1 era was limited as such you had that look actually. By Gears 2 days UE3 was able to do better lighting and in Gears 3 they used Global Illumination which further meant you never really had any really dark areas.

3DShovel

If the Hammerburst does end up nerfed to death, people should keep in mind that this is the kind of stuff that the Enforcer is capable of. It does take some time to adjust to the range, spread and clip size but when you get a feel for it the weapon is absolutely bonkers.

XEtmZdl.gif

Yeah but that's fair because if they were any further it wouldn't have done much. They literally ran at him. That's the whole point of the weapon. Hammerburst can 3-shot down from any distance pretty quick with an active.

BHK3

Banned
If the Hammerburst does end up nerfed to death, people should keep in mind that this is the kind of stuff that the Enforcer is capable of. It does take some time to adjust to the range, spread and clip size but when you get a feel for it the weapon is absolutely bonkers.

http://i.imgur.com/XEtmZdl.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Enforcer is good because it reloads in no time flat with a high RoF. You basically have a perma Active reload sub machine gun

Arkanius

So after I was done with Mafia III earlier today I jumped in Gears of War 4. I'm still in prologue so like only a few minutes into the game so I can't form opinion on game play just yet but one thing bothers me for sure - look of the game. Game in my opinion looks a bit too cartoonish.
Might it's just me but ever since Gears 3 I really miss dark and gritty look of first Gears. Even before GoW 4 reveal I was hoping they will go back to it's roots and will try to make Gears more dark and scary. I wish one day we would get these Gears.

To be clear - I'm not hating just think that world, characters and story are better suited for that look.

Actually you know what? I was a huge fan of the Gears look. But after watching all the color that is present in Gears 4. I prefer the colorful look. It's more stylish.

There is an Act that is during night time that looks closer to that.

I think Gears 4 did a good job with the art style and mood. It had appropriately sun baked sections and appropriately dark and moody areas. I myself love the unsaturated look of Gears 1, but I think Gears 4 had a good middle ground.

Just finished the SP on easy (~5h:30m). The first half is repetitive and tedious; room in, room out. The second half gets exciting and they end it with a bang.

The character textures are lighter than the environments. I didn't like that; it looked like they were photoshopped in. When the camera zooms at a player, you can see the textures lacking in detail compared to the environment.
I think all the cutscenes are real-time and they have some nice physics going on.
The game is way too much 'teenager writing' for my taste- but maybe I'm not the target demographic.

I only played a couple of rounds in MP. Reminds me of U4 which I am not a fan of. But it was a fun free go (I got the game with a 1070 purchase).

UrSuLeTzU

Hey, I just finished the campaign the other day and I generally had a blast playing this on PC(it looks amazing in 4k). Are there any discord groups playing horde or vs? I would like to join some gaffers for some good ol' horde shenanigans since PC doesn't support local split screen for horde :(

Footos22

Just finished the SP on easy (~5h:30m). The first half is repetitive and tedious; room in, room out. The second half gets exciting and they end it with a bang.

The character textures are lighter than the environments. I didn't like that; it looked like they were photoshopped in. When the camera zooms at a player, you can see the textures lacking in detail compared to the environment.
I think all the cutscenes are real-time and they have some nice physics going on.
The game is way too much 'teenager writing' for my taste- but maybe I'm not the target demographic.

I only played a couple of rounds in MP. Reminds me of U4 which I am not a fan of. But it was a fun free go (I got the game with a 1070 purchase).

I don't think the cut scenes are real-time. Not all of them anyway. feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Pilgrimzero

I'm playing through the series for the first time. Almost done with 3, which has been great!

Next is Judgement, would anyone have a spare code for it they don't need and might want to pass on to a new fan of the series?

Thanks!

I didn't know Enforcer could pop heads :eek:

RJvA1hD.gif

Looks like it shot his arm off idk. It didn't show the headshot kill and it looks like you killed him after he reached the revive limit. No more DBNO. It would be weird if it does unless all the assault rifles do.

I just had a moment today. It's 2v2 TDM on Gridlock. The spawn guys are holed up on the balcony with the sniper, can't go for boomshot. I'm below them behind some cars and my teammate is by the sniper spawn. I melee in the air a couple times to signal a 1v1 Gnasher duel and he responds and comes down. It was all just a bait though and my teammate opens up. He almost escapes but I follow him back up the stairs where the sniper is trying to revive him and I kill them both. It was a dirty play, yet hilarious.

Jobbs

Banned
Looks like it shot his arm off idk. It didn't show the headshot kill and it looks like you killed him after he reached the revive limit. No more DBNO. It would be weird if it does unless all the assault rifles do.

I just had a moment today. It's 2v2 TDM on Gridlock. The spawn guys are holed up on the balcony with the sniper, can't go for boomshot. I'm below them behind some cars and my teammate is by the sniper spawn. I melee in the air a couple times to signal a 1v1 Gnasher duel and he responds and comes down. It was all just a bait though and my teammate opens up. He almost escapes but I follow him back up the stairs where the sniper is trying to revive him and I kill them both. It was a dirty play, yet hilarious.

well I heard something pop and he died. I've never in my life had someone insta die like that from hammer burst or lancer.

UberLevi

Finally got a different boss after 5 boss waves. The first 4 were all Snatchers, just got the Kestrel and it was a huge relief. Fuck Snatchers.

Somehow I managed to get past that part without dying, on hardcore at least. Insane will be another story.

How is this even possible? Even the random
missiles it shoots from its back
would kill me when in complete cover. I hope you took a video because I think that's a pretty rare thing to happen at all let alone on Hardcore.

UberLevi

would kill me when in complete cover. I hope you took a video because I think that's a pretty rare thing to happen at all let alone on Hardcore.

Also killed it on Hardcore with no issues. Never had an issue with dying while totally in cover, though so I'm not sure what to tell you.

Got some playtime with the game today, was underwhelmed with the prologue and Act 1 but Act 2 and the little I've played of Act 3 was great. Can't wait to continue the campaign. Graphics also looked much better once I hit Act 2.

kyJ0C0l.gif

ANdUwuW.gif

RHCVeTI.gif

Whizkid7

I assume this is about the
Swarmak
? I didn't have too much trouble with it on Hardcore either. The AI was baiting it most of the time but even when it was looking at me it couldn't kill me through total cover. Maybe you need a better spot to hunker down?

nOoblet16

Every 2nd game now has quiters, I didn't expect this at Silver/Gold level atleast.

Speaking of which I have won about 70-80% of my last 20 matches and still stuck on Silver 3....wtf.

Ballistik

Every 2nd game now has quiters, I didn't expect this at Silver/Gold level atleast.

Speaking of which I have won about 70-80% of my last 20 matches and still stuck on Silver 3....wtf.

When I played and won a bunch of matches in a row, my rank didn't change either. Then when I logged on the following day, my rank was much higher. Maybe reset your game?

Leyasu

Banned
Actually you know what? I was a huge fan of the Gears look. But after watching all the color that is present in Gears 4. I prefer the colorful look. It's more stylish.

There is an Act that is during night time that looks closer to that.

I love the look of gears 4. Even the night act has some nice colours. Game is beatiful, and a joy to play.

Been giving multiplayer a go today, I've always been trash competitively but I've been doing decent my past few games. Hammerburst is pretty strong, been having the most success with that. I'm finding wanting to understand and get good at Gears, I've always kind of bumped my head against it.

UberLevi

Is there a way to set faction preference in Versus? Ive literally played the last 10 matches as Swarm while using the Vintage Del Victory bounty. It sucks.

Reckoner

Yeah but that's fair because if they were any further it wouldn't have done much. They literally ran at him. That's the whole point of the weapon. Hammerburst can 3-shot down from any distance pretty quick with an active.

The thing is that Gears of War 4 is mostly a close quarters game.

People tend to rush into others to blast with the Gnasher. This weapon literally asks people to rethink the way they've been playing the game for ten years. It's gonna mess up the meta and I understand how people may complain about it.

Btw, I want to give some praise to The Coalition. They def nailed Gears without trying too hard. I just wish they keep the game going with content.

Citadel

Man, I still remember watching the early previews and tech demos of Gears 1, and thought the foreboding appearance that was present there was lacking in the final game. I mean, there are some dark and tense moments in the new Gears that you're sure to love, but definitely hear what you're saying and agree with you. I think Gears would be fantastic as a game that focuses on a tense close-quarters experience. Just imagine walking down a darkly lit Seran street with destroyed and decaying buildings pressed around you. There's cover everywhere, and there's always eyes in the shadows, watching.

Reckoner

Man, I still remember watching the early previews and tech demos of Gears 1, and thought the foreboding appearance that was present there was lacking in the final game. I mean, there are some dark and tense moments in the new Gears that you're sure to love, but definitely hear what you're saying and agree with you. I think Gears would be fantastic as a game that focuses on a tense close-quarters experience. Just imagine walking down a darkly lit Seran street with destroyed and decaying buildings pressed around you. There's cover everywhere, and there's always eyes in the shadows, watching.

I get what you're saying. Gears of War 4 gets dark a lot, though. Actually, during the first demo that they showed at E3 I got very excited because it looked gritty and atmospheric. There's some of that in Gears 4, IMO - a balance between 1 and 3.

Grisby

Nothing touches the introduction to the berserker in Gears 1 still. I was hoping Gears 4 would be scarier.
I kind of was too. Especially after that tomorrow trailer.

It was darker than 3, but it still couldn't match up to Gear's 1 berserker fight or the krill chapter.
Really? Is it because they're both just TPS? I feel like UC4 is way more about movement and it also has the perk/killstreak stuff with the crazy mystic items.
Got some playtime with the game today, was underwhelmed with the prologue and Act 1 but Act 2 and the little I've played of Act 3 was great. Can't wait to continue the campaign. Graphics also looked much better once I hit Act 2.

kyJ0C0l.gif
You do the lord's work with these gifs.

I was really impressed with the robot balls (heeeeeeyo). Reminded me of Gears 3's locust popping out of the ground. Just a neat effect.

For me, Gears of War is all about movement - a lot more than Uncharted. There's a real skill gap built into the cover system and you can immediately tell how experienced someone is by how they traverse the map.

Top Bottom