• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

RedStep

If this is your argument, then there's an actual possibility I've been playing and enjoying Gears before you were born.

Considering that 4 has been widely received as a solid, well-made extension of the previous games (if not a little safe in the risk-taking), it's fair to say that if you started the game bored out of your mind then the rest is not going to be your thing. It's more of the same, but that means different things to different people.

To be fair you sound pretty jaded on it. Maybe it's not your thing any more if that helps.
Jaded, whatever, the beginning of the game though? Absolutely by the number Gears firefights. The most I can say is I've fallen out of favor with extremely routine shooting in arenas I've seen in four games before. Considering how much a buddy and I enjoyed Gears Ultimate, and how much we recently replayed Gears 3 great 1 v 1, I don't think it's as much Gears as much as it's a sheer lack of creativity. The DeeBees feel like a reskin so far, the story is absolutely Gears of War, and the flashbacks being noticeably bright ruins their tone. Plus,
Dom
was annoying as fuck when that should have been a cool cameo. The typical video game method of "wait for grunt main character to put in a code despite there being many higher ranked officers near you" (aka the RAMIREZ effect from MW2) is there, etc.

I'm sure if I go back to the series' campaigns they won't all resonate with me the same way, but that's completely tangential to me finding fault with Gears 4's dull beginning. I love Gears' core gameplay, and done right, we get really good games like Gears 1. But when that aforementioned buddy and I play the beginning of Gears 4 with sheer apathy, it's because of Gears 4, not because it's "not for me anymore."

Doubtful, that user would have to be 9 years old

Actually younger since you said before
That's my point.

played easily 3 and a half....4 hours of horde last night?

90ish credits.

Kinda fuck this game right now.

I feel the exact same. Played like 2 hours of mp last night maybe 200 credits. Halo 5 I could buy a new pack after every match, this having to play for like 4 hours to get the 400 credits for a pack sucks. I also dont understand how I am so unlucky but what ever team I am on losses. I come in first on my team a lot but it never seems to matter, also my god so many people quit. It is so rare to make it to the end of a match with 2 full teams. I dont get why people quit so much, it takes so long to get into a match you would think they would stick around just to try and get more kills.

Maybe it's better when discussed before, but is the markza just a garbage gun or am I not using it right?

low ammo count so you have to make your shots count, but if you do youre gonna wreck people.

I feel the exact same. Played like 2 hours of mp last night maybe 200 credits. Halo 5 I could buy a new pack after every match, this having to play for like 4 hours to get the 400 credits for a pack sucks. I also dont understand how I am so unlucky but what ever team I am on losses. I come in first on my team a lot but it never seems to matter, also my god so many people quit. It is so rare to make it to the end of a match with 2 full teams. I dont get why people quit so much, it takes so long to get into a match you would think they would stick around just to try and get more kills.

exactly. i just...dont really feel like playing. I know the argument of JUST ENJOY THE GAME and I do really I do, i beat the campaign twice solo and once coop, PvP isnt really for me, but i adore horde. i also just....like progression in multiplayer. Something was really nice about halo, jumping on for 2-3 games a day got me gold. and that was my thing. id be like hmm im gonna play my dailies. Play a warzone, couple arena, and now i have two win packs and probably and gold and some change. gears just makes me feel like "oh if i play a few matches today in a month ill have enough for a single thing"

Yeah that's kinda weird considering me and some buddies played on Normal and I was getting 150 credits every 10 waves, which would translate to 750 credits total.

Are you sure about that? I got to wave 49 on normal on Saturday night and I didnt get anywhere near that many credits.

outsida

I get about 55'ish credits every ten waves on normal. You do get an additional 500 credits per 5 levels you rank up during play. Maybe people are adding that to their totals unknowingly.

The gameplay in the first few acts is terrible, that's not a revelation.

The first few acts are terrible?

That seems super harsh and even ridiculous. I don't enjoy shooting robots as much, but I still had a really good time fighting them and enjoyed the story and characters.

The story had a great build up to the final few chapters and they felt longer than the others as well.

Yep, I'm sure. I can run through again tonight and let you know how much I get.

It would be great if there was a breakdown somewhere of exactly how many credits you get for doing different things. I desperately want to level up my heavy but it is taking forever. Once I finally do have enough to buy a pack I get stuff for all the other classes which I scrap but it gives so little. I even scrapped all the skins and xp cards that I got.

I get about 55'ish credits every ten waves on normal. You do get an additional 500 credits per 5 levels you rank up during play. Maybe people are adding that to their totals unknowingly.

So you would have to play through 1.5 times to get enough for a single horde pack. Insanity.

outsida

So you would have to play through 1.5 times to get enough for a single horde pack. Insanity.

I had a good group last night and we beat all 50 waves with 4 people. I'm not sure exactly how many credits I had going in but when I checked this morning I had a little above 2000 cr. If you pop in and play 10 to 20 waves every now and then you rank up and get credits pretty fast. In my opinion there needs to be better payouts for reaching higher waves this will keep people around longer and maybe not make it seem like such a rip off at times.

I had a good group last night and we beat all 50 waves with 4 people. I'm not sure exactly how many credits I had going in but when I checked this morning I had a little above 2000 cr. If you pop in and play 10 to 20 waves every now and then you rank up and get credits pretty fast. In my opinion there needs to be better payouts for reaching higher waves this will keep people around longer and maybe not make it seem like such a rip off at times.

If they just scaled the payouts it would fix so much of the quitting that is plaguing horde. Maybe wave 10 pays 5 credits and then keep doubling it every 10 waves or something. So that making it to 50 pays a lot. People would stick it through if they knew they would get something good.

Halo 5 also has much, much, much more points of customization. So they can afford to give you 1ish packs after every match.

Gears 4's economy works the same but is much more constrained, so the payout pretty much has to be lower so people don't lose collectable progression in a short amount of time.

I'm sure TC is looking at comments like these and reevaluating.

If this is your argument, then there's an actual possibility I've been playing and enjoying Gears before you were born.

It's not really an argument and no I was born in 85. I'm just very very immature.

And as others are saying maybe it is not your thing anymore. Are you maybe holding onto some nostalgic feeling from when you played Gears on 360?

Also thank you for questioning my maturity level when my post to you certainly was not condescending or questioning of your mental state or age.

m23

Halo 5 also has much, much, much more points of customization. So they can afford to give you 1ish packs after every match.

Gears 4's economy works the same but is much more constrained, so the payout pretty much has to be lower so people don't lose collectable progression in a short amount of time.

Yeah I think this is definitely one aspect to look at. Halo probably has thousands of items at this point, so yeah it can afford to give out credits easily.

BizzyBum

It's sad that this game is pretty great and it's just getting shrouded in shade due to TC's shitty microtransactions. Hopefully they do something about it and learn from their mistakes.

Halo also has so many single use items for warzone. TC needs to come up with something similar, maybe perk cards that let you do bonus damage, or earn extra energy for a limited time in horde. The way gold packs work in Halo at most you can get 3 unlocks I believe but usually you get 2, the rest are consumables.

This isn't really a good argument. Gears 4 is clearly going to add more customization option as achievements say "for launch classes" in Horde, and character skins are launch series.

I can't think of a game where they increased in-game economy payouts when adding new content. Halo hasn't done it despite adding new content every month. The most they did was add in Arena Victory and Warzone victory packs, as well as log in packs. You don't get more credits in R6 despite the 6 new characters and all the customization options like helmets, charms and skins.

I doubt they'll make adjustments to the in-game economy even when there's more stuff to unlock, even though there's already enough to begin with. There's like 8 legendary characters, 10 epics not to mention all the skins and Horde stuff. They could give triple the credits and people still wouldn't collect half of this stuff by the time Series 2 stuff came out

aBarreras

The gameplay in the first few acts is terrible, that's not a revelation.

the gampplay is the fucking same in all the game! hahaha what?! it turns into a first person shooter halfway through the campaign or what?

also people are overblowing the deebees, they dont even stay that long, but oh well!

I see people making the arguement that lower credits make sense because there aren't a lot of skins.

However, I think the credit layout should be higher because it's possible to get duplicates in this game (and not Halo 5).

Even if the credit layout is higher, you won't necessarily be unlocking everything in a short amount of time, which is what the devs want. At the same time, on the player side it feels more satisfying to open more and more packs

RavenHawk

So, I was bored last night and decided to try a solo round of Horde mode. I made it to the last 2 enemies on level 19, and then got disconnected from the server...

Seriously?

Moofers

Does anyone know if the Double XP thing is still going on? The message was still up this morning. I played quite a bit over the weekend and was never able to really tell if my XP was being doubled or not. The game doesn't do a very good job of showing you if you have some kind of bonus applied. Also, why is there no way to see the XP I've earned for each of my classes outside of being in an actual game? Sometimes I want to know how far I am from leveling and the little bar under the card fills in a really weird way that makes it hard to tell sometimes. I really hope they patch this in the future.

Nuke Soda

What is going on again? All these Horde matches are starting with incomplete player counts for me.
Seems like that is everywhere, TDM is lopsided. People join up then quit instantly as soon as match starts, been on a team of 2 on 5 twice now, also been on the flip side which still feels really shitty.

vort3x

Say what you must about this games card system and I will agree. It's shit. Credits take too long, too high prices. It annoys me that people are spending hard earned money on cosmetics and they aren't cheap either but you know what it's their money. They can do whatever they want with it. Does it suck that they're the reason all these games have this stupid card collection bs? Yes but those same people don't care about the money, they'd buy it no matter what the price. It's like a gambling addiction to them.

People are arguing about the damn cosmetic bullshit and yes part of it is broken, but you know what? It doesn't affect the game play. It's like people forget there's actually a whole game underneath all the card/skin collection bullshit.

In the end its about the gameplay and that gameplay is amazing. Server hitches aside I'm having a blast with this game and as long as they don't make any major game play changes I'll be playing this for a long time. It's like gears 3 all over again for me and I couldn't be happier. They could fix the not join in progress and no roller over ranked matches bullshit though. Not sure who's genius idea was that.

*Rant end*

Novocaine

Jaded, whatever, the beginning of the game though? Absolutely by the number Gears firefights. The most I can say is I've fallen out of favor with extremely routine shooting in arenas I've seen in four games before. Considering how much a buddy and I enjoyed Gears Ultimate, and how much we recently replayed Gears 3 great 1 v 1, I don't think it's as much Gears as much as it's a sheer lack of creativity. The DeeBees feel like a reskin so far, the story is absolutely Gears of War, and the flashbacks being noticeably bright ruins their tone. Plus,
Dom
was annoying as fuck when that should have been a cool cameo. The typical video game method of "wait for grunt main character to put in a code despite there being many higher ranked officers near you" (aka the RAMIREZ effect from MW2) is there, etc.

I'm sure if I go back to the series' campaigns they won't all resonate with me the same way, but that's completely tangential to me finding fault with Gears 4's dull beginning. I love Gears' core gameplay, and done right, we get really good games like Gears 1. But when that aforementioned buddy and I play the beginning of Gears 4 with sheer apathy, it's because of Gears 4, not because it's "not for me anymore."

That's my point.

Well you sounded jaded when all I had to go on was from the 2 sentence post this discussion stemmed from.

Honestly I haven't finished the campaign yet; I've been enjoying Horde too much so I've only made it to act 3.

It's a shame you don't like it. I've enjoyed what I've played so far.

Say what you must about this games card system and I will agree. It's shit. Credits take too long, too high prices. It annoys me that people are spending hard earned money on cosmetics and they aren't cheap either but you know what it's their money. They can do whatever they want with it. Does it suck that they're the reason all these games have this stupid card collection bs? Yes but those same people don't care about the money, they'd buy it no matter what the price. It's like a gambling addiction to them.

People are arguing about the damn cosmetic bullshit and yes part of it is broken, but you know what? It doesn't affect the game play. It's like people forget there's actually a whole game underneath all the card/skin collection bullshit.

In the end its about the gameplay and that gameplay is amazing. Server hitches aside I'm having a blast with this game and as long as they don't make any major game play changes I'll be playing this for a long time. It's like gears 3 all over again for me and I couldn't be happier. They could fix the not join in progress and no roller over ranked matches bullshit though. Not sure who's genius idea was that.

*Rant end*

I have scrapped every skin I have gotten. I dont want the cosmetic bullshit at all. I want to level up my horde classes since you really need that stuff on the later levels/harder difficulties.

vort3x

I have scrapped every skin I have gotten. I dont want the cosmetic bullshit at all. I want to level up my horde classes since you really need that stuff on the later levels/harder difficulties.

That does suck that the horde upgrades are behind a stupid RNG wall. If I played horde this would completely turn me off the game so I don't blame people for being upset of that! They really really need to copy halo 5's credit and card system. Daily packs and 1 victory pack are a must. Those help immensely. Not sure if playing horde gives you pack but in halo you get packs for leveling up and doing certain accomplishments as well. They should do that for horde.

The Flash

Banned
When you finally get the PC version downloaded and test the benchmark on Ultra

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_c8n6f1mkb8gks4wgcs4kko8cs_640.gif

Top Bottom