• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

cant seem to play on xbox anymore, anytime I try to go into versus it says an xbox live gold account and a connection to the gears services is required. I was playing a match and got disconnected, now this is happening

Edit: rebooted and am back in

robotrock

Banned
You guys playing the campaign on the PC, did you play with a mouse and keyboard or a controller?

The mouse and keyboard support seems really brilliant here but I'm kind of feeling like this game might feel better on a controller that gives feedback...not sure.

painey

last night at 1am I jumped on for some horde while my friend was sleeping, and I ended up in an AMAZING team and we did all 50 levels. It was exhilarating.

I jump on today and I have nothing but stupid randoms playing. Being useless and quitting after they get their bounty (hopefully they remove the 1-10/20 bounties). I end up trying to get my bounty and play as an Engineer, and despite me always finishing low in a horde match (I am more of a support player usually) I end up pretty much soloing the whole damn 20 waves. Everyone quit after, but I have never been so good. The last boss wave was straight up heartpounding. Really need a good group to play with though, wish I had the Xbox preview program for Gears GAF or LFG.

How the hell do people move around like this?

I do alright on Social Versus, but as soon as I join Ranked I'm matched against dudes like this and get WALLOPED. How in the hell do you compete against these guys? Any tips?

It's not too hard and it only works super well when someone doesn't have a high enough "look sensitivity" to keep up with your movements.

It saves my ass constantly. Super satisfying.

Just back out of tight spaces where they can bounce to cover like that. Also counter wall bounce them.

I do alright on Social Versus, but as soon as I join Ranked I'm matched against dudes like this and get WALLOPED. How in the hell do you compete against these guys? Any tips?

Don't engage them.

Keep distance and just rifle them down. Gears isn't about movement despite what people will say, you don't see that happening in a pro match because even if you are wallbouncing around like an idiot, you're not going to avoid a whole team shooting at you.

It works in matchmaking because people feel the need to try to take every 1v1

Gah, I really want to play this but I didn't care for the previous entries in the series :(

I keep getting tempted to buy it (digital) but i don't want to get it and hate it...

malfcn

I am trying not to buy anything with credits with hopes of another fix. Broke down and bought an elite last night, and it was another pack of nothing.

Hopefully the stream is improved, and then it won't feel bad getting nothing. With Halo, you might get a bunch of filler, but you know another pack is right around the corner. With Gears currently, you open a pack and it's going to be another day or two until you get another shot.

Allforce

I'm usually open to the concept of character skins and different looks so you can personalize a bit but does anyone else find the stuff you can unlock that is considered "Legendary" in this game completely uninspired?

All-white Swarm guy. Ok?

Rainbow Swarm Guy! Why?

Zombie JD/Kait/Del/whoever. Hey Walking Dead is super popular!

The ones with characters in dress-blues are kind of neat, but why are there like 5 Hoffmans? All with just slight variations on the same Gear armor.

The weapon skins are even lamer overall. It's like they just gave up. "Trippy Yellow/Purple Longshot Skin", Blue Tiger Stripe Gnasher, Knotty Pine Lancer. Who thought this fit the style of the game?

Man, Juvies are that truth. Their pathing and behavior is head and shoulders above wretches. *mops brow*

They're like small, vicious monkeys with the maneuverability of leopards.

Kusagari

Team Deathmatch is just worthless. Every game multiple people leave before the first round ends and ruin it. Every single game.

Man, Juvies are that truth. Their pathing and behavior is head and shoulders above wretches. *mops brow*

They're like small, vicious monkeys with the maneuverability of leopards.

I swear someone from The Coalition said they wanted them to simulate wall-bouncers for mp.

Or maybe I'm taking crazy pills

Xyber

While wallbouncing definitely is a thing you should get comfortable doing to improve your gnasher-fights, doing it constantly like he does even when jack shit is happening is just silly.

One or two quick bounces really throws people's aim off and will drastically improve your chances of surviving. Bouncing for 10 seconds straight missing half your shots and then nailing one because the other guy never backed away isn't very skillful.

Had a fun long session with the game today and I think I have been called a *insert non-gnasher weapon here* for pretty much all available weapons today.

Shoot people with lancer, noob. Shoot people with Hammer burst, noob. Shoot people with sniper, noob.

Some people literally wants the game to be Gnasher of War 4.

And does anyone know if they have some sort of "anti-boost system" in the game? I have now gone from silver 1 to diamond and 75% of the games have been played with a friend. The games I didn't play with him were the ones the got me from gold to onyx. So I have made it through onyx and my friend has been stuck at silver 3 for like a week now. It just seems like he doesn't get any points towards his next rank when playing with me and he is usually at the top of the scoreboard with me.

Moofers

I'm usually open to the concept of character skins and different looks so you can personalize a bit but does anyone else find the stuff you can unlock that is considered "Legendary" in this game completely uninspired?

All-white Swarm guy. Ok?

Rainbow Swarm Guy! Why?

The ones with characters in dress-blues are kind of neat, but why are there like 5 Hoffmans? All with just slight variations on the same Gear armor.

The weapon skins are even lamer overall. It's like they just gave up. "Trippy Yellow/Purple Longshot Skin", Blue Tiger Stripe Gnasher, Knotty Pine Lancer. Who thought this fit the style of the game?
Preach! At least in Halo 5, the different weapon skins all fit the style of the game. Gears has so many terrible skins and then adding insult to injury there are duplicates under different names. (See the Pine skins)

They shit the bed with this, IMO.

Xyber

Wouldn't want anything to challenge the precious Gnasher.

I use the HB in 100% of my games because it really is a bit too strong now and needs a bit of tweaking. Apart from more and easily obtainable ammo, there is pretty much no reason to use Lancer over it.

I will continue to use it after the nerf though, because I just prefer the feel of it.

leng jai

Has anyone finished Insane campaign solo yet? I've going through it now and you basically spend 80% of the time just sitting in cover in half the fights.

Has anyone finished Insane campaign solo yet? I've going through it now and you basically spend 80% of the time just sitting in cover in half the fights.

because it's new so you're trying not to die stupid deaths. I'm running through the game co-op with my brother and I'm super aggressive, mainly because I know how to tackle these encounters now and we're just breezing through the game.

Stand far enough away from them that they can't do it? Honestly I've been playing Gears for about ten years now and I've learned you don't compete against these guys. It's not that they're amazing or anything it's that they're playing a totally different game and just exploiting the mechanics to such a degree that it's borderline cheating. I mean just watching the video was giving me a headache. I don't know how someone can even play a game like that or what enjoyment they get out of it. Each to their own I guess.
v​
Don't engage them.

Keep distance and just rifle them down. Gears isn't about movement despite what people will say, you don't see that happening in a pro match because even if you are wallbouncing around like an idiot, you're not going to avoid a whole team shooting at you.

It works in matchmaking because people feel the need to try to take every 1v1
^​
Preach! At least in Halo 5, the different weapon skins all fit the style of the game.
Well, I wouldn't go that far:
bc2f423a23a5b96f8ab56fbc63abd869.png
a9c1388fd9942f04f47028ff972657d9.png

I just got a chance to notice how small this community is on PC.

A dude that was talking shit in a social match (that I ended up going like 18-1 in) a week ago kept sending me messages talking shit, so I reported him because it got annoying and apparently he got banned.

At the start of an Execution, instantly two people start talking shit to me calling me a bitch. Apparently they're friends with the guy and aren't too happy with me lol

I just got a chance to notice how small this community is on PC.

A dude that was talking shit in a social match (that I ended up going like 18-1 in) a week ago kept sending me messages talking shit, so I reported him because it got annoying and apparently he got banned.

At the start of an Execution, instantly two people start talking shit to me calling me a bitch. Apparently they're friends with the guy and aren't too happy with me lol
Only campaign and Horde mode have cross-platform play?

painey

can't believe horde mode isnt 60FPS. Love the silky smooth gameplay of online, but despise the online modes against people who have been playing these maps for years and know everything.. not to mention always win shotgun duels

can't believe horde mode isnt 60FPS. Love the silky smooth gameplay of online, but despise the online modes against people who have been playing these maps for years and know everything.. not to mention always win shotgun duels

uh, all of these maps are new with the exception of Gridlock.

painey

really? I haven't played Gears non-horde since 1 and 4 of my 6 games tonight were on Gridlock. Entire team got steamrolled and then of course they ragequit putting us at a disadvantage. No fun at all.

BHK3

Banned
uh, all of these maps are new with the exception of Gridlock.

Doesn't feel like it to me, the playlist is awful and we can't create public open matches. about 95% of my horde games are on Harbour and I believe Forge? I've gotten 0 daytime maps...I WISH I could play on gridlock :/

nOoblet16

Zombie skin only makes sense on Dom...because he's actually dead by Gears 4 you know. And I wish they had more characters than skins.

Doesn't feel like it to me, the playlist is awful and we can't create public open matches. about 95% of my horde games are on Harbour and I believe Forge? I've gotten 0 daytime maps...I WISH I could play on gridlock :/
Public open matches hasn't been a thing since Gears 1, you are a about 8 years late in complaining about that.

Edit: And yes Hammer burst is definitely getting a nerf. Far too easy to down an opponent across map even on xbox....more so with active. The spread should be larger, you can effectively ensure laser sharp accuracy if you shoot while standing still.

vort3x

This 'ghost ammo' glitch is such bullshit. And the fact that we don't have an ETA on when it'll be fixed is just nuts.

Like seriously, look at this shit.
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/o%20t0x1c/video/22557460

Watch my ammo counter.

You've been hit by, you've be struck by, a smooth criminal (AKA LAG). Actually more like the guy you were shooting was lagging. Just look at the end of the clip where the locust lag spikes. You get killed by the 2nd locust guy and not the one you were dueling. That's what I feel those missing shots are, lag spikes probably because the server isn't registering those shots so the ammo counter never goes down even though the animation is happening on our end.

Xater

Edit: And yes Hammer burst is definitely getting a nerf. Far too easy to down an opponent across map even on xbox....more so with active. The spread should be larger, you can effectively ensure laser sharp accuracy if you shoot while standing still.

I'm gonna enjoy my Hammerburst until it gets nerfed. I'm downing people like crazy.

KiLLaDeZo

Can somebody give me some information regarding horde.

Firstly, how to you level up the Fabricator?

What is the point of the different classes? What do they do, I understand Engineer can repair shiz , but everybody else?

Any other tips for horde

Thanks!

Can somebody give me some information regarding horde.

Firstly, how to you level up the Fabricator?

What is the point of the different classes? What do they do, I understand Engineer can repair shiz , but everybody else?

Any other tips for horde

Thanks!

There is a dedicated NeoGaf post for that, you can do some reading here better than me trying to summarize everything in two sentences (also, OT is great for starters): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1294855&highlight=horde

Looking some extra infor for myself yesterday I found this link with tons of useful information: http://fenixbazaar.com/2016/10/10/gears-4-horde-3-guide/

KiLLaDeZo

There is a dedicated NeoGaf post for that, you can do some reading here better than me trying to summarize everything in two sentences (also, OT is great for starters): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1294855&highlight=horde

Looking some extra infor for myself yesterday I found this link with tons of useful information: http://fenixbazaar.com/2016/10/10/gears-4-horde-3-guide/

The fabricator upgrades when you spend energy.

For the rest read this OP

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1294855

Nice nice, thanks!

I gotta say, there are way too many rounds in some of the game types. I love escalation, but a single match takes forever, especially if there is any back and forth. And if your team is getting stomped, it's not fun to sit through it for 20+ minutes.

3DShovel

You've been hit by, you've be struck by, a smooth criminal (AKA LAG). Actually more like the guy you were shooting was lagging. Just look at the end of the clip where the locust lag spikes. You get killed by the 2nd locust guy and not the one you were dueling. That's what I feel those missing shots are, lag spikes probably because the server isn't registering those shots so the ammo counter never goes down even though the animation is happening on our end.

Don't really care if I got killed by the second guy. I should've for sure killed the guy I shot 4 times point blank with the Gnasher.

TC has acknowledged this bug and the community is calling it the 'ghost ammo' glitch.

MarveI

If I had a couple constructive criticism about horde:

-Get rid of bounties that grant you XP at wave 20. Make all bounties so that you have to finish wave 50 and increase the rewards so people are less inclined to drop out. I feel every game people start dropping out by the loads. The credit and XP reward system should promote playing the game not quitting.

- Add special rewards for completing wave 50 on top of the bounties. Give a free horde pack or depending on difficulty 400 cr (normal), 1000 cr (hardcore) and 3000 cr (insane).

- Like the double XP weekend we just had...introduce double CR weekends (give less at the start waves and more at the end of the last waves) to discourage quitting.

-Maybe during the long load screen show the symbol of all 5 classes and next to it the value of it for example Scout logo with some tips ''Scout gets double credits and up to 50% deposit credits so leave the yellow light that releases from dead enemies to the Scout so everyone can buy more stuff'. Same with Engineer ''If you're this class you have the repair weapon D pad down to select and you have to repair all fortifications (barriers, turrets, sentries etc.) and you should be the only one buying fortifications as you get big discounts on them'' etc. At least something to show people how to play according to their classes. I still see level 50-60-80 people who don't know about it and pick up yellow credits despite not being a scout and having one on the team or a soldier, sniper buying fortifications with a high level engineer on their team and vice versa. Most of these people are good people they just don't know and I feel Gears is slightly responsible for the lack of a good tutorial on this.

The main issue here is the amount of people quitting and how this is detrimental to the longetivity of this great game(mode).

All the horde bounties are unbelievably stupid, with some making it unplayable with randoms.

Completed 1-50 on Insane gives like 200cr, but completing 1-20 on Insane gives you 20,000 EXP. I got 120cr completing 19 waves of Normal earlier. I would imagine Insane gives a bigger payout, and even if it doesn't, if you manage to complete all 50 waves you'll get more than 200 anyway.

and that''s a fucking rare bounty.

Then there's shit like "build 50 fortifications" where I've had people build like 20 decoys because I assume they were going for that bounty. Then they leave because who cares? I got my bounty fuck you guys

Good point. The credit bounties are almost insulting imo. The XP bounties are fine. But getting 200cr for completing 50 waves of insane ? Should've been 3000 imo at the very least. Not many people are going to achieve that.

And those ''build 50 fortifications'' is really extreme. 25 should've been the limit. Fortifications get more and more expensive after every 10th wave buying 50 of them seems excessive and almost impossible especially playing with randoms.

All-white Swarm guy. Ok?

Rainbow Swarm Guy! Why?

Couldn't agree more. Most feel like an afterthought.

I admit I enjoy the zombie character skins though.

MacAttack

Couldn't agree more. Most feel like an afterthought.

I admit I enjoy the zombie character skins though.
I am part of the problem, Colorsplash Swarm and Rainbow lancer for life.

It does seem that these skins were a last minute addition. Especially since there are weapons that only have a few customizable skins. It's just a shame that the economy of the game makes it so difficult to unlock such mediocre skins.

Top Bottom