• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

JB1981

Had some amazing KOTH games last night. Feel like the shotgun is more reliable than ever. It actually does what I expect it to do more times than not

60fps is a godsend too

It probably is too powerful but the whinging on the Gears forum was hilarious. I think some of them would prefer it if there was only one weapon.

Yeah, that same niche audience (that for a decade hasn't been able to accept that they are the vocal minority) has wanted Gears to be a one weapon game since the first game. You don't see any amount of negative feedback in a Gears game that's as outrageous as the Gnasher diehard. To those guys, it's unacceptable that any gun can stop a Gnasher in any situation.

I don't think the Hammerburst is *that* bad, it needs a very minor tweak. If anything, it's not the Hammerburst itself that's a problem so much as how useless it makes the Lancer by comparison. I don't think the answer is to really nerf the HB, I think the answer is to buff the Lancer. Also to remove two different types of weapon balancing, but I guess that's a different conversation altogether. I just don't play ranked (even though I love those game modes) because different weapon balancing is so damn stupid.

EDIT: I really hope the Gears patch cycle doesn't continue with 4. Each game comes out and makes an effort to balance the whole sandbox and keep the spirit of a fast paced cover based shooter, and then the vocal minority gets really mad about the Gnasher not being the one-all gun, and slowly the game gets patched in ways that make the Gnasher more effective. I just don't understand why the devs have always buckled to the vocal minority. Millions of people buy Gears, but when it becomes nothing but a Gnasher fest the population slowly disappears until all you have left are the tens of thousands that either want that or like the game enough to put up with it.

Yeah, that same niche audience (that for a decade hasn't been able to accept that they are the vocal minority) has wanted Gears to be a one weapon game since the first game. You don't see any amount of negative feedback in a Gears game that's as outrageous as the Gnasher diehard. To those guys, it's unacceptable that any gun can stop a Gnasher in any situation.

I don't think the Hammerburst is *that* bad, it needs a very minor tweak. If anything, it's not the Hammerburst itself that's a problem so much as how useless it makes the Lancer by comparison. I don't think the answer is to really nerf the HB, I think the answer is to buff the Lancer. Also to remove two different types of weapon balancing, but I guess that's a different conversation altogether. I just don't play ranked (even though I love those game modes) because different weapon balancing is so damn stupid.

EDIT: I really hope the Gears patch cycle doesn't continue with 4. Each game comes out and makes an effort to balance the whole sandbox and keep the spirit of a fast paced cover based shooter, and then the vocal minority gets really mad about the Gnasher not being the one-all gun, and slowly the game gets patched in ways that make the Gnasher more effective. I just don't understand why the devs have always buckled to the vocal minority. Millions of people buy Gears, but when it becomes nothing but a Gnasher fest the population slowly disappears until all you have left are the tens of thousands that either want that or like the game enough to put up with it.

The Lancer does seem pretty ineffective in Versus at the moment. Everytime I get thrown into a game and forget to switch to the HB, I end up hardly using it. I'll probably stick with the HB even after they nerf it.

The HB is that bad. Doesn't matter if you're rushing with a gnasher or using cover with a power weapon.

Someone shooting at you with an active HB feels like playing the campaign on Insane

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The HB is that bad. Doesn't matter if you're rushing with a gnasher or using cover with a power weapon.

well yeah that's the point of the rifles. If they can't do that why are they even in the game? The lancer is so bad now it's literally not worth using because people can just walk up to you.

JaggedSac

Played some horde this morning and they definitely boosted the credit payout. Got 79 for first 10 and then 129 for 20. Probably at the point where it is at a horde booster pack per horde match. Couldn't play past 20 this morning though, wife busting balls.

Got the game strictly for the campaign and it was a good experience. Now off to Best Buy to trade it in - $28 plus and extra 50% more (which end tonight) should net me about $42. Plus I got the $10 gift card from Best Buy Gamers club for the game.

I'm doing a similar trade in for Mafia 3. It feels like I made money or there very least got a free rental since the cash ill get back with pay for Skyrim and FFVX.

what do you mean? if you're holding a boomshot or torque it doesn't make you invincible. if you're using a buzzsaw or whatever then it's always a risk putting your head up.

I mean you're not going to make use of that boomshot when someone can just sit in the tower in gridlock and hammerburst you down before you ever get the chance to get close.

Did 50 waves on casual last night and also hit level 50 during the same match and got almost 1700 credits. My god it is do much better now. Before I wouldn't have been able to buy a single horde pack after beating 50 waves on casual. Thank you so much TC.

Iceman829

Looks like the weather is going to shit for most of the day, so if anyone is interested in running horde or something just hit me up. Even if i'm not on the game you can message me. GT - Iceman829

vort3x

Played my first game of escalation last night with some pro's or wanna be pro's last night. God damn that shit was intense, reminded me of my pc tournament days. My heart was pumping and adrenaline was on max for at least an hour after the game was done. I couldn't sleep. It was a blast but I'm not sure if I can maintain that amount of stress on a constant basis. Maybe overtime it wanes but man it was fun. Loved every second of it. Best of all? I was in fucking first place the whole time with 28 caps 19 breaks 31 kills. Not bad for a first run with legit players.

Escalation is a fun fucking game type and perfect for tourny play. They hit the nail on the head with this mode and making this their platform for esports.

Ein Bear

For all the benefits that online patches bring, a part of me kind of misses the old days where a game's balance was set in stone when the game went gold and everyone just had to deal with it.

Nowadays everything gets patched and nerfed and you don't really get to see metagames organically build anymore. I'm not saying that balance patches are bad, but I would kind of liked to have seen where the game wound up if things like the hammerburst weren't changed.

well yeah that's the point of the rifles. If they can't do that why are they even in the game? The lancer is so bad now it's literally not worth using because people can just walk up to you.

I haven't touched the PvP modes of the game but the Lancer seems like it is designed for PvE. It has high accuracy across all ranges and good suppression abilities with the large clip; it is designed to suppress rushing Drones and other annoying things on insane. Ammo count and range don't seem to be a problem in PvP, so other high burst weapons are much more viable it seems.

Maybe making the lancer have some staggering animation to stop people from rushing in? Increase the headshot damage modifier?

For all the benefits that online patches bring, a part of me kind of misses the old days where a game's balance was set in stone when the game went gold and everyone just had to deal with it.

Nowadays everything gets patched and nerfed and you don't really get to see metagames organically build anymore. I'm not saying that balance patches are bad, but I would kind of liked to have seen where the game wound up if things like the hammerburst weren't changed.

Patching things too fast can suck at times. I think that developers are trying to balance the game ASAP instead of ironing out the broken aspects of the PvP and letting the meta develop before further mass-patching of equipment.

Looks like the weather is going to shit for most of the day, so if anyone is interested in running horde or something just hit me up. Even if i'm not on the game you can message me. GT - Iceman829
I'll be on later, I was going to watch some of this Gears invitational.

shit you're right. did they increase the payout or something? that's pretty dope

People are saying they did so I'm going to assume so. I thought it was just the jump I made from Normal to Hardcore that gave bigger payouts.

I went to try my first versus game in this and I'm up to 4 minutes waiting on PC...is this normal? I just gave up and loaded up some Horde.

It can take quite some time depending on your region.

I find TDM and Social matches quickly, Execution I seem to only be able to play late at night. No luck in any other playlist

splattered

Watching the MLG event for a chance to win an Elite controller... how many polls have they posted so far? I've had to step away and back several times and only saw the first "Which team are you rooting for"

outsida

I wish people would understand that sentries are trash. Please stop buying 9 of them and sitting them right next to each other only for them to be demolished once the pressure is on. Just had a horde session where my team wasted so much money on those sentries even though I was mowing the enemies down with the turret. We could have used all of that money on barriers, lockers, late game decoys. Anything other than those sentries that finally did us in at wave 49.

I wish people would understand that sentries are trash. Please stop buying 9 of them and sitting them right next to each other only for them to be demolished once the pressure is on. Just had a horde session where my team wasted so much money on those sentries even though I was mowing the enemies down with the turret. We could have used all of that money on barriers, lockers, late game decoys. Anything other than those sentries that finally did us in at wave 49.

supernesjoe pointed out that it helps to level up the fabricator which in turn levels up your fortifications, giving you a better turret.

My team breezed through hardcore yesterday and we had about 8 sentries locking down the left and right sides (4 on each side) while we just focused on the middle. we had enough money for barriers and decoys as well.

Theorry

Credits in Horde are a nice upgrade now. Hopefully soon for Versus also.
Btw really happy with how the communicate with they playerbase, quick patches. Good for the future.

Credits in Horde are a nice upgrade now. Hopefully soon for Versus also.
Btw really happy with how the communicate with they playerbase, quick patches. Good for the future.

Yeah. I saw lots of people complaining on the Gears forum that they weren't responding to complaints. That's probably because they've been working instead of whinging.

outsida

supernesjoe pointed out that it helps to level up the fabricator which in turn levels up your fortifications, giving you a better turret.

My team breezed through hardcore yesterday and we had about 8 sentries locking down the left and right sides (4 on each side) while we just focused on the middle. we had enough money for barriers and decoys as well.

What was the make up of the team?

Iceman829

I'll be on later, I was going to watch some of this Gears invitational.

People are saying they did so I'm going to assume so. I thought it was just the jump I made from Normal to Hardcore that gave bigger payouts.

I'll keep an eye out. I'm just working my way through the campaign right now.

nOoblet16

My name is carry hard, for some reason I keep getting low skilled players thereby preventing me from reaching higher rank cause I've been stuck at Silver 3 for a week now.

aO3x0IWh.jpg

d18Q4Xch.jpg

Top Bottom