• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Iceman829

I just finished a horde game with randoms and beat all 50 waves. I'm going to take 15-20 minute break for dinner. After that if anyone wants to group up for more horde just let me know.

TaterTots

Banned
I am. Aiming feels so tight and lining up shots is so natural that I find myself overextending in Horde and end up getting downed because none of my teammates are there to back me up.

Doing a 180 is instantaneous. If I'm being shot in the back and turn around and one shot someone I'm called a cheater. Do you mean overextending your aim or leaving your teams "base?"

Miker

That's because you should be by the fabricator. It's your own fault.

Sure.

Doing a 180 is instantaneous. If I'm being shot in the back and turn around and one shot someone I'm called a cheater. Do you mean overextending your aim or leaving your teams "base?"

I mean leaving my team's "base." I like to play a bit aggressively, as I do in most games, and I guess I tend to overestimate how other aggressive other Horde players are. I try to go out and shotgun/enforcer a bunch of enemies as a heavy because I have fun doing it, and I feel like half the time I'm the only one on the front lines. As brolic says above, maybe it's my own fault, but whatever, it's how I have fun with the game.

leng jai

Sure.

I mean leaving my team's "base." I like to play a bit aggressively, as I do in most games, and I guess I tend overestimate how other aggressive other Horde players are. I try to go out and shotgun/enforcer a bunch of enemies as a heavy because I have fun doing it, and I feel like half the time I'm the only one on the front lines.

Horde by design is a campathon, especially at higher levels. Sure you can do rambo out in early rounds or lower difficulties, but you're guaranteed to get overwhelmed even if you have team mates with you. You literally can't kill fast enough to survive.

Miker

Horde by design is a campathon, especially at higher levels. Sure you can do rambo out in early rounds or lower difficulties, but you're guaranteed to get overwhelmed even if you have team mates with you. You literally can't kill fast enough to survive.

Yeah, I'm talking about like normal wave 9, where I would've thought players would be a bit gung-ho and have fun using the close-range weapons on the front lines while they still can. I still haven't been in a horde match that's gone beyond wave 30.

You would think they would have nerfed the longshot on pc. No gun should be that effective at every range. I know it's a power weapon, but it's overpowered compared to the rest of them. If anything stopping them from doing crossplay in multiplayer it's this.

I don't know what they can do about it, but sticking two of them on one map doesn't work the same as it did on canals. You just get two players taking each others teams to pieces. Having said all that, it's incredibly fun and I hope they don't touch it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What game mode do you guys perefer online?

Im not sure i like the tuning on core? Deaths happen so fast.

I like the madness of KotH. I also like Dodgeball over both warzone and execution, I like Escalation a lot but the match times are long + if I jump around modes the different tuning really messes with me.

Arm's Race is also a lot of fun when I don't feel too competitive. I like pretty much every mode tbh, except Guardian.

What do you guys think, Battlefield 1 or Gears 4? I asked the Battlefield 1 thread and they gave me non biased answers so I am wondering if I can get the same here.

My history with Gears:
Loved the original. A top 10 game of all time.
Didn't care for the sequel. Was a huge letdown.
Thought the third one was better but felt the series was kind of fading a bit after the disaster Gears 2.
Didn't play Judgement.

I am weary of the new characters, like JD and the DeeBees. Like, I love the Locust gang. I am not sure how Gears and robots will play out.

Was wondering what you all thought. Gears has a special place in my heart but I'm wondering if the series is still for me. I also really loved the beta and trial for Battlefield 1.

leng jai

What do you guys think, Battlefield 1 or Gears 4? I asked the Battlefield 1 thread and they gave me non biased answers so I am wondering if I can get the same here.

My history with Gears:
Thought the third one was better but felt the series was kind of fading a bit after the disaster Gears 2.
Didn't play Judgement.

I am weary of the new characters, like JD and the DeeBees. Like, I love the Locust gang. I am not sure how Gears and robots will play out.

Was wondering what you all thought. Gears has a special place in my heart but I'm wondering if the series is still for me. I also really loved the beta and trial for Battlefield 1.

Singleplayer/Co-op - Gears 4

Competitive multiplayer - BF1

nOoblet16

I had so much trouble at first using the Dropshot because I kept aiming for the players. I kept using it like the digger launcher, especially in CQC....since I started aiming for the area around the players I've been getting atleast 3 kills per Dropshot pickup and that's pretty good.

Eanan

Something must be done about these quitters. It's embarassing. I can't finish a single match without people leaving. WTF.
I wish for ring based game modes, they'd have bots replace the quitters as it's better than being down a person. But not for death match based game modes.

gg superSNESjoe, you and your friend had me dying laughing the whole time.

My history with Gears:
Didn't play Judgement.

Skip the game.

While I love the game, it's clearly not something for you especially to pick it over a game you know you love. Maybe get Gears later down the line when it's on sale if you still want to try it out

Any tips for solo Insane for the
Swarmok
boss? Not up to it yet but I prefer not to waste 5 hours on it later.

On the left side of the map there's a torque bow sitting on a piece of cover. In the stairway above that, there's a boomshot in some ceiling webbing that gives you 2-4 shots. On the far right side of the map there's another torque bow.

What I did was I broke left off the respawn after using the generator attacks (that's the easy part, then it spawns you in the center from then on) and grabbed the torque bow, then I'd run up and grab the boomshot. At that point Juvies start coming after you; one torque bow melee kills them (torque melee is stronger than other weapons). Once you pick up boom, run back to the right side of the spawn to pick up the other torque bow (it's in the far right corner on the ground).

At this point you'll have 14-16 explosives to work with. A PERFECTLY placed torque shot or a moderately well placed boom is an automatic blister kill. I want to say there's 9 or 10 on the swarmak, so you've got to be accurate.

Once you have the ammo rounded up, you'll be at the point where elites and scions are closing in on you. What I did was I ran up the right side stairway and waited for two drones/elites to come after me as there's going to be at least two that aggressively hunt you down. I used the boltok to kill them. The two scions are also going to be aggressive toward getting to you. The torque bow kills them in 1 headshot. If you're confident you can pull that off, go for it.

Once the two scions are out of the way, if you're on the right side stairway like I did, you'll occasionally get a locust across from you hammerbursting and distracting you. There's a longshot in the webbing above the right side staircase that gives you 3-8 shots. I used my boomshot on the swarmak first, then grabbed the longshot. Torque bow you need to be EXTREMELY accurate with. Think of the swarmak's blisters like a pimple. You know that center point of a zit where the pus oozes out if you pop it? The blisters kind of have that extra white center. You need to hit that for a one hit blister kill. You won't get it on every shot, but if you can pull it off on every other shot you have a decent chance. Boomshot shots are more forgiving due to higher splash damage, but you only get a few of those. If you miss with the boom I would just reset the checkpoint.

The important part is to have decent cover when he starts firing the homing rockets. If you're crazy accurate with torque you might be able to breeze through it, but I needed to use cover. Not trying to be egotistical or anything, but I'm really fucking good at gears and I had a hard time consistently hitting the swarmak's blister centers with torque. He moves weird and it's a pretty far shot.

Keep in mind if you run out of ammo on anything there's also a Markza on each staircase, and Marcus has a tendency to follow you around. It can get dangerous to trade weapons with him on the staircase, but if you wait for the other A.I to distract the swarmak you should be able to pull off a trade. Also, pay attention when Marcus gets shot. You'll occasionally get drones by the staircase and they will come up and kill you. Boltok is important to keep stocked on ammo for this exact reason.

Hope that helps. That's how I did it, I'm sure other people did it other ways. I didn't explore the edges of the map much, so if there are other boomshot spawns they're definitely worth incorporating in. The one thing that definitely doesn't work is trying to kill off EVERY locust before going after the swarmak, as it seems they spawn indefinitely. The scions and Juvies are the only two one time spawns. Either way, you're more likely to die from homing rockets anyway.

I spent 9 playtime hours on this section btw.

EDIT - Messing around on casual just now to see how the maps laid out, there's an additional torque bow and a boomshot on the ground of the upper right of the map, as well as a boomshot on the upper left catwalk. That gives 3 boomshots (6-12 shots) and 3 torque bows (18 shots) to work with... Going to try a speedrun right now and see how quick I can beat him. That much boom should make this relatively easy. Getting the equipment that's farther away could be a challenge though unless you go into the generator part knowing to grab all of it beforehand...

Orion514

So, I got an Xbone S for gears 4 after playing it on PC so I could play with my friend. My only issue now is that i'm used to my RoG Swift Monitor and crazy low input lag, so my TV's lag is killing me.

Any good 1080p tv options that have comparably low input lag options or am I out of luck unless i just play on a computer monitor?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

My history with Gears:
Didn't play Judgement.

Having only dabbled in the BF1 beta I'd say Battlefield. I'm so sick of the Gears campaign, which is walk about ten feet and enemy encounter. Walk another ten feet and enemy encounter. It's killing me to get through this campaign, and I feel the controls are poor. Aiming feels like shit with an Xbox controller, while movement feels like shit with a keyboard. I was sick of dealing with the robots every twenty seconds and now I'm tired of the Locust knockoffs.

Just got through an especially tedious shootout in Act 3 and had the game crash afterwards. Now I find that I have to go through it again.

Go Battlefield. It's the better game in every aspect.

gg superSNESjoe, you and your friend had me dying laughing the whole time.

Excellent game, and if I'd known it was you I would have built a LOT more useless unnecessary crap to waste our money =P. That's just how we unwind every night man, we get on some game and just say random irrelevant shit the whole time.

breadtruck

My history with Gears:
Didn't play Judgement.

Both are pretty different, and pretty great.

Get BF1 now, and Gears later. Or Gears now, and BF1 later. Or both now... like I did :-D

Excellent game, and if I'd known it was you I would have built a LOT more useless unnecessary crap to waste our money =P. That's just how we unwind every night man, we get on some game and just say random irrelevant shit the whole time.
lol, we had the money so even if you went all out it wouldn't have mattered

How much more? I just reached the same spot in the game.

Probably still another half of the game left.

edit - just got on and checked, probably more like 60% of the game left. Depending on the difficulty (and your skill) that could be like 5-15 more hours.

Jobbs

Banned
Started campaign on XB1 after over a week of playing MP. I liked the look of everything but the lower framerate was distracting so I installed it on PC, which only took about 8,000 hours.

I'll continue to play MP on XB1 (because it runs at 60 and I know everyone will be on the same input device) but I highly recommend playing the campaign on PC if you have a machine that can handle it. I have an R9 290 and can run it on ultra with mostly 60 (though in certain busy fights it definitely goes down).

The game is gorgeous and the story and characters are better than I was expecting. It's very silly, but it's the right kind of silly. It's fun.

I also don't understand the sentiment I've heard repeated a few times that the robots aren't fun to fight. I really enjoyed all of the robot combat. It's really satisfying blowing them up.

The only negative thing I'd point out so far is
the motorcycle section was pretty dumb and boring and didn't feel right
and I'd have preferred the game not have that.

Oh so here's that classic gnasher consistency we were talking about. How I didn't get this guy at the end is beyond me...

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mullet Parade/video/22691172

Because the bug where it doesn't fire happened on the second shot.

Don't know why TC isn't making that an emergency fix, it's kind of sad at this point. It happens way too often for them to just be like "oh yeah, we'll fix it in a title update eventually I guess."

3DShovel

Because the bug where it doesn't fire happened on the second shot.

Don't know why TC isn't making that an emergency fix, it's kind of sad at this point. It happens way too often for them to just be like "oh yeah, we'll fix it in a title update eventually I guess."
Yeah seriously, their response to this is literally baffling. That glitch is practically game breaking.

"oh hey, just so you know, your gun miiiight look like it fires, but once it a while (maybe about 5-10 times a game) that shot might not actually register on the server so you'll just rail your opponents and not get anything for it.

We're fixing it though. In some patch. That doesn't have a release date."

Fuck off.

Yeah seriously, their response to this is literally baffling. That glitch is practically game breaking.

"oh hey, just so you know, your gun miiiight look like it fires, but once it a while (maybe about 5-10 times a game) that shot might not actually register on the server so you'll just rail your opponents and not get anything for it.

We're fixing it though. In some patch. That doesn't have a release date."

Fuck off.

What's even more ridiculous is they can push out a TU for an avoidable campaign progress bug in less than a week but yet we have to wait a month+ for a fix for something way worse that should have been caught by the testers well before launch.

The grenade sound effect is still getting me killed so often. Every "clink" sounds like it's way away from me and then I blow up. So I've started just jumping away regardless and half the time I'm just jumping into the blast. They've always been kind of wonky but this is terrible.

what's the deal with people not reviving in horde when you're literally right next to them? i literally have to beg the engineers to build shit. wave 20 and we still aren't on level 2 fabricator with 2 scouts

I really need to stop solo-queueing horde lol

Acidote

Campaign stuff:

After a long time (GoW3) playing a GoW campaign, my skill has fallen down the drain and I'm having trouble with Act 3 - Chapter 4 (Insane):

The round hall that gets filled with juvies after killing a pounder, and right after that juvies + pounder. I can easily deal with the first pounder and wave of juvies, but I'm having trouble when they're together.

Any advice, or just 'git gud' again? I don't know what comes after that, it's my first playthrough.

balohna

Campaign stuff:

After a long time (GoW3) playing a GoW campaign, my skill has fallen down the drain and I'm having trouble with Act 3 - Chapter 4 (Insane):

The round hall that gets filled with juvies after killing a pounder, and right after that juvies + pounder. I can easily deal with the first pounder and wave of juvies, but I'm having trouble when they're together.

Any advice, or just 'git gud' again? I don't know what comes after that, it's my first playthrough.

Hipfire Lancer or Gnasher against juvies if you can, run around a lot. Keep the central pillar between you and the pouncer until all the juvies are dead. Also, did you get a torque bow from the previous encounters? Helps a lot.

Haines

Banned
Any good youtube videos explaining how to be good at gears movement.

I don't even jnderstamd how to bounce to the walls.

mjp2417

Banned
Credits just rolled. I'm not sure how I feel about this one at the moment. The core gameplay and feel is still best in class, and if anything has gotten even better, but this has some serious pacing issues throughout (by contrast, 3 is one of the best paced games in existence). There is a lot to admire here (it's beautiful, it just feels great, and it's also sneakily well-written in parts), but stretches of it felt like a slog in a way that past Gears campaigns never felt like a slog.

Campaign stuff:

MAKE SURE TO GRAB THE GNASHER.
It's sitting there on a corpse. Use that on the juvies and constantly run around away from the pouncer. Just kill all the juvies first and the pouncer will be easy. The gnasher is the best weapon to do it because you can kill juvies in 1 hit (or two if you're unlucky)

Leyasu

Banned
Credits just rolled. I'm not sure how I feel about this one at the moment. The core gameplay and feel is still best in class, and if anything has gotten even better, but this has some serious pacing issues throughout (by contrast, 3 is one of the best paced games in existence). There is a lot to admire here (it's beautiful, it just feels great, and it's also sneakily well-written in parts), but stretches of it felt like a slog in a way that past Gears campaigns never felt like a slog.

I honestly never felt like this was a slog. I thought that the pacing was perfect, and the firefights sublime. Each to their own.

Ok horders, I'll be on with a good 2 and a half to 3 hour window from 2pm uk // 15h EU time this afternoon if anyone wants make a team.

Van Winkel x

Yup, the Gnasher did it.

Yeah you def need that Gnasher. Juvies with no Gnasher is an exersice in frustration in insane. I don't like how they can gib you in 2 hits. Especially with how the game likes to treat them like fodder enemies which you can have a stream of 10 come in at any time. No Gnasher means you're gonna have a bad time.

I'm on Act 4 chapter 2 and all in all I haven't had to repeat anything more than 3 or 4 times or so (other than the museum). Shitting myself at the thought of the
Swarmak
fight though

Stevey

Just downloading this now on Xbox.
Wasn't impressed at all by the Beta, but it seems to have come a long way since then, looking forward to it.

Top Bottom