• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Let's talk about the swarm, I'm at the start of chapter 5 so no spoilers.

So people think they're a good replacement to the locust? I personally find their bigger units boring, bland and dull to fight compared to the locust.

Snatchers suck compared to th giant spider things, pouncers sucks. Likewise in locust we saw those cstspilar things, those armoured kanka things which were great to fight etc.

Acidote

Yeah you def need that Gnasher. Juvies with no Gnasher is an exersice in frustration in insane. I don't like how they can gib you in 2 hits. Especially with how the game likes to treat them like fodder enemies which you can have a stream of 10 come in at any time. No Gnasher means you're gonna have a bad time.

I'm on Act 4 chapter 2 and all in all I haven't had to repeat anything more than 3 or 4 times or so (other than the museum). Shitting myself at the thought of the
Swarmak
fight though

I did the museum in the more disgusting way I could find exploring the map since I had trouble doing it inside it. I just ran back all the way and killed a few juvies there while the AI did everything else inside the museum. I'm sure there's more people doing the same thing.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
So, I got an Xbone S for gears 4 after playing it on PC so I could play with my friend. My only issue now is that i'm used to my RoG Swift Monitor and crazy low input lag, so my TV's lag is killing me.

Any good 1080p tv options that have comparably low input lag options or am I out of luck unless i just play on a computer monitor?

You could try hooking up your Xbox One S to your monitor, it's the only way I play since the 360 as well. Can't play on TVs that have input lag because I'm so used to zero input lag.

Let's talk about the swarm, I'm at the start of chapter 5 so no spoilers.

So people think they're a good replacement to the locust? I personally find their bigger units boring, bland and dull to fight compared to the locust.

Snatchers suck compared to th giant spider things, pouncers sucks. Likewise in locust we saw those cstspilar things, those armoured kanka things which were great to fight etc.

I actually couldn't disagree more with this.

The juvies, pounchers, snatchers and carriers are far more fun to fight anything in the previous game. They've all got multiple attacks and can be dangerous at any range.

Snatchers can spray acid at you, down you in one hit using their tail attack, pounce on you from across the battlefield, slash you at close range and - in a cool twist - abduct you or a teammate to end the fight early.

Pounchers can hit you from distance with their tail quills, jump on to your cover to stagger you and, of course, pounce on you and maul you.

Carriers are again effective at both ranges. Shooting it's airborne pods as they come out of their chest for extra damage adds a cool little bit of depth.

Juvies, in combination with the aforementioned enemies, drones, grenadiers and snipers, might be the scariest enemy of the lot.

The Scions always have dangerous weapons such as the buzzkill, dropshot or mauler and have the frustrating ability to buff nearby enemies. They essentially take the place of the Kantus but rather than revive enemies, it makes them even harder to kill.

Some of the enemies we have lost, like the ticker or reavers, are actually smartly integrateed into the DeeBee faction.

Look at the original Gears of War, you had boomers who were essentially big bullet sponges with no other characteristics and therons, which when all was said and done, were just tougher drones with better wepaonry.

Gears of War 2 and 3 obviously added more, but none of those new enemies have the variety of move sets the Swarm have (who likes the Lambent?).

And I say all this as you someone who adored the original trilogy.

It helps that the AI is MUCH smarter in Gears of War 4.

One of my biggest worries was how diverse the enemies would actually be in this game considering The Coalition only had two and a half years or so to make it from scratch, but they totally delivered.

I did the museum in the more disgusting way I could find exploring the map since I had trouble doing it inside it. I just ran back all the way and killed a few juvies there while the AI did everything else inside the museum. I'm sure there's more people doing the same thing.

haha that's pretty slick. the legit way to do it is infuriating

think i'm stuck for the first time now on act 4 chapter 4. during the second
carrier
fight in that small room i've been trying to beat this thing for the last half hour and it keeps doing the insta-gib spit attack and not the other one. plus i've got no power weapons this time and this room is tiny. this is bullshit lol

SlickVic

Just finished Act 2. Man the last sequence
on the bikes
was so good. It's really easy for something like that to become obnoxiously difficult on higher difficulties, but I felt it was the right mix of challenge and tension. Certainly one of the highlight moments of the game for me so far.

Anyone wanna group up for horde?

I can't now, but I regularly run Horde at night, pretty much every night, around 7-8pm EST. If you want to add me I'm superNESjoe and if you're on and playing around that time I just send mass invites to every Horde player on my list.

If you're not using the boltok or torque-melee against Juvie groups you're doing it wrong. Gnasher is too inconsistent, lancer takes too long to kill.

Any good youtube videos explaining how to be good at gears movement.

I don't even jnderstamd how to bounce to the walls.

You want to get used to how far away you can be from a wall and still latch to it. Once you have that down, you can hit A as soon as you cross that threshold to slam up to the wall, and as soon as you hit the wall you turn the analog stick and hit A again to pop off it and move forward / onto another wall.

EmiPrime

I just finished the campaign. I would rank it behind GOW3 but ahead of GOW1 and GOW2. Very well done, looking forward to more. It crashed for me during the cut-scene with
Baird and Cole
but luckily the achievement for keeping the custom lancer popped before that (I had a feeling there might be a reward for that).

The environments in Act 5! :O

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
All you first-time Gears players: How's competitive online play going for you?

Is the social playlist crossplay available now?

God, I wish. It would save the PC game for those who own it. As it stands the pool is so small online that I frequently encounter the same players every night. I don't buy the argument that mouse and keyboards will ruin the game for console players. I and many other controller users online manage perfectly well against mouse players.

haha that's pretty slick. the legit way to do it is infuriating

think i'm stuck for the first time now on act 4 chapter 4. during the second
carrier
fight in that small room i've been trying to beat this thing for the last half hour and it keeps doing the insta-gib spit attack and not the other one. plus i've got no power weapons this time and this room is tiny. this is bullshit lol

I just ran to upper left corner of the room.

Leyasu

Banned
Come on hands up, who actually bought them rip off esports packs this week? I can't fucking believe just how bad they are and how fucking cynical TC are

Poster#1

God, I wish. It would save the PC game for those who own it. As it stands the pool is so small online that I frequently encounter the same players every night. I don't buy the argument that mouse and keyboards will ruin the game for console players. I and many other controller users online manage perfectly well against mouse players.

They said they will run a trial this weekend for crossplay on their official forums. I'm wondering if they implemented yet.

PC Crossplay Request / Inability to find matches in Core & Competitive
We will be experimenting with Social crossplay weekends. During this time we will be looking at backend telemetry on the performance of players. After we gather some information, we will look into what we can potentially do for further crossplay opportunities. We will also be looking into offering Bonus XP in specific modes that will be constantly rotating either each day or on a weekly basis to help incentivize people to try out each of our different game modes. This would be for both platforms XB1 and PC. We will keep you posted on when these updates hit.

Come on hands up, who actually bought them rip off esports packs this week? I can't fucking believe just how bad they are and how fucking cynical TC are

12043-200.png

From the $10 I made by selling a W3 expansion code. I need Black Steel Kait in my life..

Reckoner

All you first-time Gears players: How's competitive online play going for you?

With movement It's fine, but imagine scoping with the Sniper. The kb/m player has the obvious advantage there.

If you bought Gears 4 digitally do you still get the previous Gears games for free? I haven't received any notifications about being able to download them. Am I missing something easy or is it different for digital?

Fuck some of these ribbons you need to get.
-Grenade tag a retro charger. No one even picks up the retro lancer anymore let alone retro charges.
- Revive each of your 4 teammates in a single round of warzone/execution

If you bought Gears 4 digitally do you still get the previous Gears games for free? I haven't received any notifications about being able to download them. Am I missing something easy or is it different for digital?
I bought digital and I got the previous games

I've just finished up my insane solo run and got the achievement - feels good.

I purposefully avoided reading any strategies beforehand and, well, it was a tough nut to crack.

Every inch of the game felt hard. I was never stuck for too long but I really felt like every encounter was an uphill battle.

Securing power weapons stuck to the ceiling is really important... sometimes not even for that room. I piggybacked plenty of guns into later chapters to use for specific fights.

Thank god it's over.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
While disparity in sniper rifle use is obvious between controller and mouse, overall I think Gears is one of the few games where both users are on a relative parity. It's more about tactical position and timing of when to pull the trigger, than fast mouselook.

But the Xbox One was supposed to get keyboard and mouse support as of last June. I still haven't heard anything more about that.

Raxus

Horde has been awful with quitters if you want to play on anything above Normal.

I know the feeling. Part of me wants to fill my friends list so I can fill the open slots with friends so I can get to wave 50.

Most of the bounties I complete are the 1-20 wave ones now. This is especially sad because it leaves me little to no reason to stay in the game for another hour.

The bounty system and lack of quitting penalty's/backfilling has really fucked up horde mode on the easier difficulties.

Detox

There are dozens of us on pc even if there is a slight advantage on precision weapons we will only affect a miniscule amount of games.

It'll be a similar number to those tryhards that buy mkb adaptors for their console.

I bought a code from Amazon and I got a message a few days ago with codes (on Xbox not Amazon) for the previous games. Not sure if that counts since I'm assuming you bought it directly

Anyone having any network issues on the Xbox version?

My internet isn't brilliant but I rarely have any lag or teleporting in online games, yet I seem to be seeing the connection logo in the right hand bottom corner of the screen a lot. When it gets really bad, I end up moving past the same bit of cover three times. It's a bit frustrating seeing I don't usually get any problems on PS4 or Xbox. I played a game of Halo a minute ago and it was perfectly fine.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I know the feeling. Part of me wants to fill my friends list so I can fill the open slots with friends so I can get to wave 50.

Most of the bounties I complete are the 1-20 wave ones now. This is especially sad because it leaves me little to no reason to stay in the game for another hour.

The bounty system and lack of quitting penalty's/backfilling has really fucked up horde mode on the easier difficulties.

There has to be a balance. I think you should be able to leave after at least one attempt at a boss wave without a penalty. But I'm constantly finding myself in a crew of 2 or 1 before wave 1 even starts.

EL CUCO

Some of us are still waiting. I think they said it could take up to a month to receive codes.

EL CUCO

I've just finished up my insane solo run and got the achievement - feels good.

I purposefully avoided reading any strategies beforehand and, well, it was a tough nut to crack.

Every inch of the game felt hard. I was never stuck for too long but I really felt like every encounter was an uphill battle.

Securing power weapons stuck to the ceiling is really important... sometimes not even for that room. I piggybacked plenty of guns into later chapters to use for specific fights.

Thank god it's over.
Respect bro. The Snatchers pissed me off so much, I decided to take a break from it lol

Edit: didnt mean to dp.

There should really be a tutorial in game to teach new people how to wall-bounce, use the Gnasher, etc. for Multiplayer. A lot of people I've come across play it like Uncharted, as in just take cover and shoot the Lancer, while everyone else has this crazy wall bouncing movement and doing insane things with the guns.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Respect bro. The Snatchers pissed me off so much, I decided to take a break from it lol

How much harder is Insane over Hardcore? I did it on the latter and actually found the whole game reasonably easy. In fact, the only bits that stopped me for a few goes were surprisingly inconspicuous firefight areas against a couple of Swarm nests.

I've played 5 games on Xbox today, all 5 ended with less than 10 people...

Quitting really is an issue. At least on PC no one seems to quit because you waited 3 hours to find a match, might as well play it

EL CUCO

How much harder is Insane over Hardcore? I did it on the latter and actually found the whole game reasonably easy. In fact, the only bits that stopped me for a few goes were surprisingly inconspicuous firefight areas against a couple of Swarm nests.
It makes Hardcore feel like Casual.

Cheers mate.

The Snatchers are the worst.

They take an absolute beating, constantly down your teammates and kill you in one hit.

If Del or Kait gets swallowed you better have a full clip of assault rifle ammo ready or they're gone and it's time to restart.

All of the Swarm are lethal on Insane, but the Snatchers are probably the worst.

I died more on Hardcore than I expected but overall it felt about right. Insane can be killer in certain scenarios.

You do get used to it. After a while you get a feel for how much damage you can take (none essentially) but it's still hard.

Those encounters you've forgotten about - they're probably the ones that are going to kill you, not the ones you expect.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gears 4 was really pissing me off last night. My Bone controller must've randomly disconnected a good four to five times and I had a couple freezes as well as a crash.

I think I needed a break.

Returning to it today I'm enjoying myself again. But the reason I wanted to pop in is to give huge props to the artists behind this game. This entire experience so far has been stunning. Every level has just been packed with detail. Sheer beauty at every turn. Hats off to all of them for putting forth such tremendous work!

Acidote

Ok, so whose who have finished Act V on Insane:

Tips for the Swarmak? I'm on the 4th blisters checkpoint. I always end up killed by rockets aimed at Marcus

Top Bottom