• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Evo X

Jesus Christ, the step up from Hardcore to Insane is brutal.

After almost 2 hours, a friend and I were almost through the prologue, when after a death, he accidentally hit "restart chapter" instead of "restart checkpoint", which dropped us back to the very beginning of the game.

ALL MY FUCKING RAGE.

Beepos

After almost 2 hours, a friend and I were almost through the prologue, when after a death, he accidentally hit "restart chapter" instead of "restart checkpoint", which dropped us back to the very beginning of the game.

ALL MY FUCKING RAGE.

Well at least you have one less friend to worry about now right?

ALL MY FUCKING RAGE.

Yep. No revives, insane accuracy and damage from enemies, and abusive AI that it is programmed to bum-rush the low-health player. I laugh and cry at the same time at the random one-shot kills and the following animation.

I did fine playing solo insane, but when I tried coop with my console pleb friend, it was pretty much tedious; I had a handicap at that time where I ran the game on my laptop (60fps or fluctuating around it).

On a side note, I went back home after coop on hardcore and insane to try insane solo on my powerful 144hz desktop. I luckily did Act III on Insane without drama.
The museum was such a shit show that seemed impossible, but I pulled it off after some 15-30 minutes of trying.
I googled that part of the game and a lot of people are either stuck or seriously complaining about it (rightfully so). The friggin' juvies are stupid to fight with the Lancer on insane; the weapon has blind spots when using ADS.

Insane down!

Felt fairly smooth once I got acclimated. Main thing is you can't fight swarm head on. If you don't get a good flank you're wasting a whole lot of time since they're durable as shit. Most encounters have at least one flanking route save maybe a couple which I forget atm. Also torque bow headshots are amazing. I got stuck on that last horde section with the
2 snatchers.
though. Ended up finding a spot where they couldn't get to and put the turret right in their face.

Still don't know why I was able complete the
Swarmak
fight so easily. Not gonna complain about that one.

Although I will complain about no getting that stupid achievement for using the custom lancer the whole game. I didn't drop it, not once. All I can think of is that I restarted chapter on 5-2 because I didn't like how I set myself up. Ended up losing my equipped guns and they got replaced with lancer/gnasher/snub. If that's what it was I'm mad as fuck.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Social KotH takes forever sometimes. 2-1 back and forth matches, just did three in a row and it damn near took an hour and a half.

On the plus side that is basically the only way I see getting the X amount of execution bounties done, even if you pretty much die for each one.

EL CUCO

What packs are you guys going for, Operations or Elites?

I've gotten a Zombie Reyna from an Operations but everything from the Elite has been garbage.

xVodevil

Completed the campaign, no regrets, with grabbing one of those sweet nvidia coupons, in the middle of the big CIV6 and BF1 release.
Story wise it was ok i guess, gameplay wise still good enough for me, but those visuals :O UE4 sure is a beast, it may not be as mainstream as UE3 was, but damn do I look forward for games with this engine! I was genuinely surprised by such a technical showoff. And that optimization is also crazy!

brawly

After all the praise that the campaign got I'm unimpressed. It felt like there were no stakes and it feels forgetable. The robots were shit to fight and the swarm are locusts in a different paint. Didn't like the base defends missions either.

I did like the performances and new characters. The old ones returning and interacting with the kids was also great, it's basically the saving grace. Had this been unconnected I probably wouldn't have finished it.

The ending was also kinda meh, very abrupt and didn't hit any emotional notes with me.

Back to the multiplayer now.

Acidote

By the way, in the last Act almost the end of the game:

J.D: I think I can handle big.
Cole: Ha ha! That's the story of my life!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i tried popping all those things in this game.. sadly no achievement:(
had a lot of fun tho

MaulerX

i tried popping all those things in this game.. sadly no achievement:(
had a lot of fun tho

Ha ha! I've been doing the same thing thinking I'll get something out of it. At least it's been fun doing it and hearing them tell me to cut it out. Lol

AXE

Just wanted to say that if you:

a) Go AFK or hide near the fabricator when Horde begins
b) Don't return the energy you for some reason have to snatch
c) Solo around with your *ss getting twisted in every single round
d) Leave from the game in the middle of it, and thusly, cause a domino effect

You make me sad. None of my friends bought the game in release.

They really should have something in place due to the above issues. I'm constantly bummed about these things. Constantly :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Damn, that easter egg gun people found that one shots anything including bosses will certainly help on Insane.

What packs are you guys going for, Operations or Elites?

I've gotten a Zombie Reyna from an Operations but everything from the Elite has been garbage.

I did a mix of both but the last two Elite packs have been...ugh. Opened a legendary in the last one but it was a day of the dead enforcer skin and didn't even look that good so I scrapped it for Outsider Reyna.

Raxus

Damn, that easter egg gun people found that one shots anything including bosses will certainly help on Insane.

I did a mix of both but the last two Elite packs have been...ugh. Opened a legendary in the last one but it was a day of the dead enforcer skin and didn't even look that good so I scrapped it for Outsider Reyna.

The ice gun? Doesn't that disappear after the prologue?

Has anyone else experienced a glitch in horde mode that prevents them from firing a manned turrret after using it for a few rounds?

I had a rather "unpleasant experience" last night on round 29 or horde on hardcore when I could no longer use the turret I had been wrecking stuff with.

Addnan

Just wanted to say that if you:

a) Go AFK or hide near the fabricator when Horde begins
b) Don't return the energy you for some reason have to snatch
c) Solo around with your *ss getting twisted in every single round
d) Leave from the game in the middle of it, and thusly, cause a domino effect

You make me sad. None of my friends bought the game in release.

They really should have something in place due to the above issues. I'm constantly bummed about these things. Constantly :(

For the last bit, find people on gaf or some other forum to play with. In public people will quit. 50 waves is a long time.

vort3x

So, bugs aside, how does a shot like this only muster 20% damage? Granted I'm not great with pop shotting but this looked like it should've destroyed him let alone do 20%...

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mullet Parade/video/22731205

Most of your shotgun shot missed. It was a great shot though. almost headshot but some of the bullets spread out all around his head. about 3 of the bullets basically hit him. You can pause at 21 secs and see for your self. Gears is knows for this. In the heat of the moment it looks like you did damage but in reality your shot most likely missed. I myself do the same thing as well and call bullshit but then going back and reviewing stuff I realize what happened. So glad we can record clips, if this was gears 1,2 or 3 i would be screaming BULLSHIT at every shot lol.

TaterTots

Banned
GAF, I hate to double post, but I need help from the keyboard players. When I strafe to the left my character moves as though I'm holding down the walk button, but doesn't do so when I move to the right. I've changed key binding and everything and it still happens. When I use my controller it does not. Anyone experience this? Did I press a button that causes this by accident? I'm lost.

They really should just do cross play on pvp. If the pc community is so small then even if they do have an unfair advantage, they are small they won't have much of an impact on pvp anyway.

jackdoe

I completely fucked up choosing Insane to play through this game, but I'm already 2/3rds through the game so I'll stick with it.

I will say this: any game that forces you to become a crack sniper, hitting five headshots in a row, while under fire from 180° where you only get one second to aim and shoot all while memorizing pre-set AI travel paths and spawn times in order to beat a regular battle encounter is horribly unbalanced.

And immediately after this treat is a set piece encounter that makes me want to hurl my controller through my computer monitor. It's like every normal encounter is General Raam on Solo Insane.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I completely fucked up choosing Insane to play through this game, but I'm already 2/3rds through the game so I'll stick with it.

I will say this: any game that forces you to become a crack sniper, hitting five headshots in a row, while under fire from 180° where you only get one second to aim and shoot all while memorizing pre-set AI travel paths and spawn times in order to beat a regular battle encounter is horribly unbalanced.

And immediately after this treat is a set piece encounter that makes me want to hurl my controller through my computer monitor. It's like every normal encounter is General Raam on Solo Insane.

you put it on insane of course it's horribly unbalanced. they seem to have gone out of their way to make it really really hard which is fair enough because the other modes are fine.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
There are a ton of pages to go through, so if anyone missed it. The Coalition is going to test cross play for social between PC and the XB1 during a weekend yet tbd.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums/e9b54fc61eb74ad783d533ca502b0132/threads/upcoming-changes-and-fixes-coming-to-gears-4/427d6e9b-a33e-4770-bf4a-22b1a59c8784/posts

Yay! Using a controller online has put me at no discernible disadvantage as far as I can tell, so I'm confident about this implementation.

Graciaus

Horde has not been kind to me today. They really need to patch in a join in progress system. Even on normal someone quits in the first few waves almost always. By wave 20 only 3 remain and then everyone quits when we fail the boss wave.

It doesn't help that since I've stopped playing scout none of the randoms know what to do. At least when I did it there was a constant stream of power and a half decent engineer would build/maintain turrents. This at least kept people in the game and I beat wave 50 a bunch of times this way. I'm trying to level up a heavy and it just isn't going well.

Horde has not been kind to me today. They really need to patch in a join in progress system. Even on normal someone quits in the first few waves almost always. By wave 20 only 3 remain and then everyone quits when we fail the boss wave.

It doesn't help that since I've stopped playing scout none of the randoms know what to do. At least when I did it there was a constant stream of power and a half decent engineer would build/maintain turrents. This at least kept people in the game and I beat wave 50 a bunch of times this way. I'm trying to level up a heavy and it just isn't going well.

I don't think people are always quitting. Had a few people message me asking me to re-invite them because they disconnected.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone else's game a stuttering mess after the last couple rounds of NVIDIA drivers?

Madness

Yay! Using a controller online has put me at no discernible disadvantage as far as I can tell, so I'm confident about this implementation.

I get it is probably Games for Windows as well. But damn, do PC'ers not enjoy shooters much anymore? CoD, BF and now Gears, there just is a declining playerbase for fps and third person shooters.

Social cross play seems fine. If they find PC'ers are destroying somehow then they can say it won't work, but if it is negligible then it at least allows pc players a chance to get games again.

I've literally been stuck on this museum turret section for the last 3 days on insane.

That was hard on hardcore for me so I can imagine on insane.

On another note, I'm in Australia and can't find a game on anything other than Core TDM at night. All other modes search for 5 minutes and over.

If you're part of the Gears feedback program, TC has started sending our surveys for feedback on the gear pack system. It went to my junk mail so worth checking if you enrolled in it before.

Top Bottom