• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

After playing so much Core, I'm having a rough time adjusting to the Competitive Gnasher :(

Yup, and because of it I simply don't play competitive game types despite really enjoying them.

This right here is exactly why I argued well before release that having two balance adjustments was a bad idea. For the game being as amazing as it is, I just can't fathom how any designer worthy of being on that team could've reasonably came to the conclusion that this was a good idea.

EL CUCO

And when I finally started adjusting to Comp, a buddy invites me into Core. Now I'm making a bunch of dumb pushes because of the different range on it lol

Yup, and because of it I simply don't play competitive game types despite really enjoying them.

This right here is exactly why I argued well before release that having two balance adjustments was a bad idea. For the game being as amazing as it is, I just can't fathom how any designer worthy of being on that team could've reasonably came to the conclusion that this was a good idea.

I thought it was a good idea but could be executed better. The people that preferred Gears 1 will enjoy Competitive settings, then there's people that would prefer a more Gears 2 style of play and that's why Core settings are there.

As someone that prefers the Competitive settings I'm probably a bit bias. If The Coaltion had to choose one direction to focus on, it would most likely be Core settings ("casuals" = more sales) so I'm glad they tried to appeal to both types of fans.

Miker

giphy.gif

My one good Torque Bow kill. I'm inordinately proud of it.

mernst23

I've literally been stuck on this museum turret section for the last 3 days on insane.

My trick to beat this section is to run past all juvies as soon as the first scream happens and camp out at the beginning of the level. Let the computer try to kill most of the drones and corridor the juvies. Occasionally a drone will bum rush you so grenades, a boomshot are recommended.

This was literally the hardest part of the game except the act iv boss and the act 5 chap 2 horde section.

I can not even begin to describe how fucking sick and tired I am of the Gnasher bug.

It happens EVERY SINGLE ROUND. How inept do your testers have to be to not catch this before launch?

pizzacat

Banned
They responded quickly with their coin disbursement (because they know gamers today make more of a stink over that) but shotgun just being random is "yeah we'll get right on that"

My trick to beat this section is to run past all juvies as soon as the first scream happens and camp out at the beginning of the level. Let the computer try to kill most of the drones and corridor the juvies. Occasionally a drone will bum rush you so grenades, a boomshot are recommended.

This was literally the hardest part of the game except the act iv boss and the act 5 chap 2 horde section.

yup. doing this legit is bullshit. kill some juvies with the turret and then book it back to the start of that area. i killed the stuff that came my way and luckily i had a longshot which i used to kill the drones that stayed in the museum area.

juvies gangs on insane are worse than scions lol

By starting area do you mean to the right of the big house the juvies start running down from?

go back to that stair case where you arrived from and kill stuff that rounds the corner of the house. a few juvies will chase you and then some drones afterwards. once it quiets down you can come out a bit and take potshots at the enemies at the museum. your allies can't get wiped, if they both get downed they'll crawl towards you (very slowly). if you have a long range weapon it doesn't take that long though

SpokkX

I'm at stage 3-IV now, and I'm struggling to complete the sp campaign. Getting really bored with how similar each enemy encounter is.

Yeah just really predictable. Just got to act 4 and feeling really bored by entering a scene with lots of boxes just waitng for enemies to pop up

Also every time you see a stationary machinegun you just know there will be a "counter attack". Zzzz

Another thing i really do not like is the absolute tunneling. Way blocked - enemies arrive - kill them - way magically opens by explosion etc

Trup1aya

I think it's a great idea. Maybe the execution is a bit weird, but I find it refreshing that a developer realizes that trying to please disparate groups with a single offering simply doesn't work out.

I'm a big into Halo5 guy and it still pisses me off that competitive players and core players are expected to find satisfaction in the same playlist. competive players are pissed because many weapons are too easy to use and there are too many on the map. Core players are pissed because their map and gametype selection is limited by the pro scene. It just doesn't work.

Azzawon

If you're part of the Gears feedback program, TC has started sending our surveys for feedback on the gear pack system. It went to my junk mail so worth checking if you enrolled in it before.

Given them a bit of an earful about the absurd price of packs, both in terms of credits and real money. Bring back level and ribbon based unlocks like Gears 3 had, because what we have now is shit. Worst thing about the game IMO.

EL CUCO

Got about 5k credits. Think I'm gonna save them until the first major update. Hopefully they patch in better drop rates for Legendaries or atleast make the crates cheaper, if they're still gonna be 99% garbo.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
If you're part of the Gears feedback program, TC has started sending our surveys for feedback on the gear pack system. It went to my junk mail so worth checking if you enrolled in it before.

I don't remember signing up for this but I got that survey. I hope the overwhelming negativity with their card packs gets through.

mernst23

So horde on casual, lol, wave 19, wave 34, that's when I lost all 4 other team members by. In the wave 19 game someone left at 8, the wave 34 game the first person jumped out at 15.

Iceman829

Just finished my survey. I guess the upside is they have been listening to feedback since the launch and are willing to make adjustments. MP is basically dead for me since I refuse to play solo, but I'm enjoying horde and I'll finish the campaign eventually when I'm bored.

Hopefully the changes they make can bring some people back because my friends list has been dead on this game lately. I just load up normal horde with randoms now since there isn't much else to do.

I can not even begin to describe how fucking sick and tired I am of the Gnasher bug.

It happens EVERY SINGLE ROUND. How inept do your testers have to be to not catch this before launch?

Haven't played mp since beta, but it's a shame that, the snub, and grenades still have that issue of just failing to fire/function.

Ballistik

I'm sure some of you are seeing problems, but on my end, the gnasher works perfectly fine. I must have a good connection to the server because I have never felt cheated out of a kill.

I've been playing a lot of competitive and I'm about to hit Diamond in Escalation. I noticed it took many more wins compared to tdm/koth... but that might just be an illusion because some games last FOREVER. What's worse is those games that are already like 4-0 and its evident that the match is lopsided.. I start getting bored for those last few rounds. Plus the amount of quitters is insane. I guess some of that blame lands on the matchmaking because very rarely do we get people of similar rank. Feels like it's just matching you with whoever it finds first.

I'm sure some of you are seeing problems, but on my end, the gnasher works perfectly fine. I must have a good connection to the server because I have never felt cheated out of a kill.

I've been playing a lot of competitive and I'm about to hit Diamond in Escalation. I noticed it took many more wins compared to tdm/koth... but that might just be an illusion because some games last FOREVER. What's worse is those games that are already like 4-0 and its evident that the match is lopsided.. I start getting bored for those last few rounds. Plus the amount of quitters is insane. I guess some of that blame lands on the matchmaking because very rarely do we get people of similar rank. Feels like it's just matching you with whoever it finds first.

MM is the worst in terms of ranks. I've been in games where Diamonds are playing against Bronze.

Tried Horde for the first time tonight. Everyone left 12 waves in. I now feel everyone else's pain.

Played a bit more multiplayer. Love it. But I hate the spawn swap notification (I constantly miss it).

Fun fact: I've never won on Lift.

Tried Horde for the first time tonight. Everyone left 12 waves in. I now feel everyone else's pain.

Played a bit more multiplayer. Love it. But I hate the spawn swap notification (I constantly miss it).

Fun fact: I've never won on Lift.

I don't think I have either. At least it doesn't feel like it

oo7

The Gears of War facebook page posted an image of a wicked looked jackolantern with the tagline "Halloween is coming". I guess we're gonna have special heads n shit like we did with Gears 3 for all the holidays. I'm okay with this.

Edit:

The Gears of War facebook page posted an image of a wicked looked jackolantern with the tagline "Halloween is coming". I guess we're gonna have special heads n shit like we did with Gears 3 for all the holidays. I'm okay with this.

I wouldn't be surprised if they add some more skins as well.

oo7

Bought Gears 4 physically. Got the Gears games codes, now I just got a message from xbox with codes for all the games. Just how many times can they give these games away???

Yay! Using a controller online has put me at no discernible disadvantage as far as I can tell, so I'm confident about this implementation.
One thing I don't get is can't coalition detect if you're using a controller on the PC and matchmake you with people on the console and other people using controllers on the PC. I tried using a KB/M on my PC and if feels so foriegn to me, I play many games with a KH/M combo and it never feels this foriegn to me. I guess playing gears all this time on the 360 makes it feel that way.

Acidote

Matchmaked people never complete a Horde run, right? I don't think I've done one without one or two leaving before round 20.

It's not a problem that's exclusive to Gears, but quitting in this game is rife across all game modes.

I'm essentially forced to play Ranked to play the mode I want all the time and still, despite apparently playing in a more competitive setting, I'm forced to deal with crybabies who quit after a bad start to the round.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So just received my Gears 1 and 2 codes via message. Redeemed code one on the Xbox, and went to redeem code 2 but it said the code was already redeemed, and doesn't show up in my games?

Also no Codes for 3 and Judgment yet.

EL CUCO

It's not a problem that's exclusive to Gears, but quitting in this game is rife across all game modes.

I'm essentially forced to play Ranked to play the mode I want all the time and still, despite apparently playing a more competitive setting, I'm forced to deal with crybabies who quit after a bad start to the round.
Yup. Until they find a way to penalize quiting to dashboard, it'll continue to be an issue.

Ballistik

I'm essentially forced to play Ranked to play the mode I want all the time and still, despite apparently playing in a more competitive setting, I'm forced to deal with crybabies who quit after a bad start to the round.

Yes crybabies! It's unbelievable sometimes. Yesterday during one game, we wipe out the team in the first minute of the game... and just like that, they all bail. The majority of games I played last night was 5 v 4 because there was always a quitter.

PBalfredo

Has anyone else had problems getting the game to download on PC? I bought it on Thursday but have yet to be able to download it because the Windows Store app will just download up to a certain point and then the download progress will just sit there. I've restarted the download several time but it has never gotten any higher than 12GB / 72GB before it just stops progressing. At first I thought it was because of the massive DDOS attack on Friday, but it's still a problem for me as of this morning.

Aklamarth

Just FYI but no problems here (eg Eastern Europe) with the Windows Store. Redeemed the game from nvidia and 2h later i was playing it. Loved the technical aspect of the game btw : lots of graphical customization, ultrawide support on launch and runs great.

Don't know if it has been said in this thread, but you can use a keyboard to communicate with people on the Xbox One by pressing U key to bring up the text box. You can also use it to walk around for some reason.

Made it easier to communicate to people to stop stealing points from scouts in horde. -.- which still happens anyhow.

This game drains me quickly, I can't play more than an hour on Multiplayer. Between trying hard to do great movement and shooting.... and raging, its too much for me.

Madness

Just look at Halo. Have yet to play a single day since launch where someone did not quit. Gamers are just conditioned to quit at the first sign of a loss or adversity etc. Very hard to combat. You also don't want someone moving to another game if you give week long bans etc.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The phantom shot bug is really starting to piss me off now. I have so many video clips of a death where my shot didn't even count.

Top Bottom