• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

njean777

The biggest gripe from me with this game is the credit system. I play a lot and barley have been able to buy any packs. If I have the season pass I should get 2x the credit amount. That is all I have to say.

Still really like the game and won't stop playing it, just a small complaint.

vort3x

Holy shit the only thing they're doing with the packs is fixing duplicates??? Wow. #1 complaint I bet was make em cheaper or easier to purchase, guess that's not happening anytime soon. They really want that money, I guess as long as suckers keep buying no point changing it.

Also disappointed we have to wait for the footsteps audio fix until next update. Ugh. That was my #2 complaint right after shotty bullets.

Well that outline for updates is a start I guess... Footstep audio should be in the first update though and making Gears pack cheaper should have been fixed yesterday. Also, I really hope Lift is a map that rotates out when the new maps come in. I really hate how the weapons spawn in midmatch. Pretty much pointless at least half the time.

Checkout and Drydock look fantastic. Eager to try the Gnasher after the update.

Hammerburst is probably dead forever because those patch notes scream "overnerf"

Probably for the best :(. Haven't touched the Lancer in MP aside from Arms Race because of how powerful the Hammerburst was. Looks like I'll be using the trusty Lancer once again!

Future Community Holiday Event packs (Gearsmas, etc) will always have a credit path to obtaining them.

Cool, time to start saving up. Surprised they actually made this change, didn't think they would give a fuck about the community's opinion.

Pickup and drop fortifications has been moved to the “Q”/Mark Target key bind instead of “C”/Point of Interest on Windows 10.

This change sounds awful and pointless, I hope I can keep it as it is now. If I wanted 15 different actions binded to one button I would play on consoles. Also this will fuck with my muscle memory, I'm so used to picking up the turret so that it doesn't get damaged or destroyed and only I go down.

Removed score from repairing in Horde.
Engineers never going to break 1000 score confirmed.

I wonder what significantly reduced damage on the Hammerburst translates to in game. It's going to be the only weapon with stopping power now so it has it's advantage over the Lancer and can counter Gnasher. Maybe now you'll only be able to down and kill two people instead of three. What an irrelevant weapon..

I bought the Gears 4 red xbone today and stupidly thought I'd be playing tonight. Its been downloading for the last 4 hours and has just passed 10GB. Only 40 to go now :'(
At least I'll have something to play next week.

Theorry

November 1st Update(TU1) and Future updates

Cross-play will be in a special event playlist.

Slight changes to Competitive Lancer and Gnasher, significant nerf for Core Hammerburst, fix for Gnasher not firing/expending ammo, many other fixes, true offline LAN lobbies on Windows 10

TU2:
  • Footstep audio
  • Grenade Spawning Fix
  • Campaign Achievement Issues
Future updates:
  • Ranks/Horde Icons not appearing in scoreboards
  • Competitive/Core Lobbies
Unspecified/after TU1:
  • Player Penalties
  • Horde Leaderboards

Gears Pack Feedback
  • We are going to have an update on Gears Packs. One large piece of feedback we are looking at including is the removal of duplicate cards appearing in packs that need it. We do plan on keeping them in some packs where they make sense (ie: Horde Booster Packs).
  • Future Community Holiday Event packs (Gearsmas, etc) will always have a credit path to obtaining them.
  • We will have more details on this here in the very near future.
Some additional Windows 10 features coming
  • Vertical Split Screen and Ultra Wide HUD scaling are coming to Windows 10 in the next Title Update.
  • Patching on Windows 10 is a better experience now. Cyphos will have a post regarding that later this weekend.

Damn. Love the quick updates.
Wait. Is crossplay now in or not?

Vico

So, if the two new maps replace two existing ones, does that mean we can't even get the achievement for finishing Horde on the launch maps?

(I mean, once they're released obviously)

Tomash

Damn. Love the quick updates.
Wait. Is crossplay now in or not?

It will be a weekend event like Pumpkin Ball.

We are hoping to conduct a test on this in November. This will be a separate event playlist for people on both platforms to join. We will see what backend telemetry after the weekend and consider what we can do in the future.

Nerfing the Hammerburst so dramatically isn't the answer to me. Nerf it a little, sure, but buff the Lancer in a very minor way too. I don't think the issue was *just* that the Hammerburst was overly effective, but that the Lancer was so ineffective that it was made completely useless.

Making both of them ineffective will only facilitate heavy Gnasher dominance.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yup, there has always been a brief invulnerability period in Gears when reviving someone. People survive Torque Bow shots that way as well too.

And that is interesting news to hear that they are getting rid of duplicates, considering that duplicates are what feeds a model that uses scrap.

I still have to setup my XB1, so it looks like I'm going to have some great drawings when I finally redeem all of my Gear Pack codes and use them after the update. Not even worried about it either way because I already have a bunch of character & weapon skins for free with contests and promos and such.

GWX

Nerfing the Hammerburst so dramatically isn't the answer to me. Nerf it a little, sure, but buff the Lancer in a very minor way too. I don't think the issue was *just* that the Hammerburst was overly effective, but that the Lancer was so ineffective that it was made completely useless.

Making both of them ineffective will only facilitate heavy Gnasher dominance.

This post is the truth.

I bought the Gears 4 red xbone today and stupidly thought I'd be playing tonight. Its been downloading for the last 4 hours and has just passed 10GB. Only 40 to go now :'(
At least I'll have something to play next week.

Pro-tip for the future:

Go to setting and out your Xbox in offline mode. THEN put the game in and start the installation. This way it directly installs from the disk and takes about 30-40 minutes. After that the patch should take about another 30-40 minutes. It's still pretty long, but MUCH better than keeping the Xbox online for the initial installation

painey

man, I just play horde and it is starting to get REALLY boring. I'm not a multiplayer guy, but this was the game I was gunna buy and play for a LONG time.. but TC have royally fucked it up

man, I just play horde and it is starting to get REALLY boring. I'm not a multiplayer guy, but this was the game I was gunna buy and play for a LONG time.. but TC have royally fucked it up

What do you find boring about it?

I think it has a lot of issues but when I manage to get into a decent lobby 5% of the time, I have a lot of fun with it.

Pro-tip for the future:

Go to setting and out your Xbox in offline mode. THEN put the game in and start the installation. This way it directly installs from the disk and takes about 30-40 minutes. After that the patch should take about another 30-40 minutes. It's still pretty long, but MUCH better than keeping the Xbox online for the initial installation

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I can install from the disk, in the future. Unfortunately, I only got a code with the red xbox,so I have to do this the hard way.
Im closing in on 21GB downloaded now. I have cable internet, but only DL'ing at 2-3Mb/s.

I think it has a lot of issues but when I manage to get into a decent lobby 5% of the time, I have a lot of fun with it.

I know your comment wasnt directed at me, but I'll throw in my 2c anyway.
Though I havent played Gears 4 Horde yet (see above), the prob with Gears 3 Horde was that it took too long to get challenging and fun, and then during later stages, it became impossibly difficult. I only beat it 2 or 3 times and that was only thanks to Silverback cheese.
Mass Effect 3's "horde" mode was way better, because games (on Gold difficulty) only took about 20 mins to complete, had a nice consistent challenge and even gave more game play variety with both weapons and powers (maybe that last comparison inst a fair one to put against Gears though).

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I can install from the disk, in the future. Unfortunately, I only got a code with the red xbox,so I have to do this the hard way.
Im closing in on 21GB downloaded now. I have cable internet, but only DL'ing at 2-3Mb/s.
Oops I forgot it came with a code lol

Yeah you're fucked :p

Buddy of mine bought 7 of those Halloween Packs, hasn't gotten a single day of the dead character.

I laughed at first, but then got really mad for him. This is predatory nonsense. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

Moofers

Buddy of mine bought 7 of those Halloween Packs, hasn't gotten a single day of the dead character.

I laughed at first, but then got really mad for him. This is predatory nonsense. These people should be ashamed of themselves.
Yep, it is garbage. I bought 2 of the esports packs and got the same embar skin both times along with EMBLEMS. Nobody gives a flying fuck about emblems, so it's a joke that they're used to pad these paid packs out.

I'm done paying for any of their stuff. I've got to blame myself for being dumb enough to buy in (twice no less) but there's some real shady shit going on behind the scenes with their RNG. Don't dangle a cool thing in front of players and tell them they could get it for $10, then keep yanking it away and saying "Oop! Try again!".

Plus, they really need to get Horde beefed up with new enemies. It's the same 10 waves 4 times in a row. It's really missing flames, Kantus, maulers, and additional boss types. I've got about 40 hours into just this mode and it's starting to get a little tired. And it really doesn't help that the matchmaking is such a struggle.

Also, as somebody here pointed out, Mass Effect did a great job offering a horde mode that could be completed in about 30 mins. Gears NEEDS this. You can't just demand that everybody who plays horde always has 3 hours to dedicate to it without interruptions. That's for kids and I'm an adult with adult shit going on at times. I've completed 50 waves a handful of times now but sometimes I only have time for 20-30 and people get pissy about it when you gotta bail, which I understand. I just helped two guys beat 50 the other day and it was their first time. It blew me away because they were the same level as me but just didn't have the friends list resources that I do, so I guess I've been lucky to do it more than once.

Pro-tip for the future:

Go to setting and out your Xbox in offline mode. THEN put the game in and start the installation.
More Pro Pro-Tip:

Just decline the game update when installing and forego setting your console offline. Both do the same thing, but one is way less obtuse of a solution than the other.

I don't know why they just couldn't have you use credits to buy them. Oh well, gotta get that money somehow.

I don't know why they just couldn't have you use credits to buy them. Oh well, gotta get that money somehow.

What I don't understand is if the pack is only available for money, so you know the people opening them had to spend real cash, why not just give them the damn skins.

What harm is it to have a 5 card pack that does not have emblems, and guarantees at the very least one day of the dead skin. Hell, what's the harm in all five of those cards being day of the dead skins? They're giving you cold hard cash for it, screw over the credit users with the RNG, but the way they treat this on the cash only packs is bait-and-switch and predatory.

Aw, this pack is all about getting those day of the dead skins! Buy now! Oh, you didn't get lucky enough? Too bad. Buy another?

These practices are souring me so much I'm getting real close to dropping the game entirely.

painey

Some reasons I find it boring:

- Class system explanations are hidden away, meaning weeks on and people still don't know Scouts get double power.
- Same, boring enemies every single time.. which leads me into
- Same enemy attacks EVERY time. There's no randomness to what enemies you will face. Wave 3 will always have the same enemies as any Wave 3
- Only 4 bosses, and they are all kinda crappy
- No emote system for non-mic users so you can say thanks for a revive or STOP BUILDING SENTRIES
- ONLY the option of playing 1-50 with no random joins, meaning you play the same 1-20 waves before everyone has left
- Its 2016. Retire. Fucking. Gridlock.
- The bounties are all kinda weak, and some are just plain dumb
- There are so few skins/characters out that I don't ever feel like saving my credits for an Elite pack

These are just some of the things that have made it rather tedious for me. If they hadn't have increased the horde credits already I probably would have stopped playing by now.

Jawmuncher

you're on PC right?
Go to settings in Xbox app and run a test to see if you can obtain a teredo address

Wish I was on PC. Still haven't been able to download.
Got it to work though. Seems to be an odd stipulation for the achievement. That makes it glitch if you play a lot of continuous lobbies. Played a ranked match of escalation and got the level up to 56 and the achievement I should have gotten 6 levels ago.

Guessing the achievement is triggered by seeing certain result screens. Since versus AI seems to not be compatible.

Nice. I did this too during a match and it always feels so good.

Rynji

Neo Member
Does anyone know if the Windows Store correctly supports pausing and later resuming downloads now?
I am on a 50GB limit every 24 hours (Uni network, Norway) and the game is 70+ GB on PC.
When it released I couldn't pause and resume later, it would either get stuck or not start at all. Forcing me to redo the entire thing which is impossible.

Wish I was on PC. Still haven't been able to download.
Got it to work though. Seems to be an odd stipulation for the achievement. That makes it glitch if you play a lot of continuous lobbies. Played a ranked match of escalation and got the level up to 56 and the achievement I should have gotten 6 levels ago.

Guessing the achievement is triggered by seeing certain result screens. Since versus AI seems to not be compatible.
ah, saw you posting in PC threads so figured it was that.
Some reasons I find it boring:

- Class system explanations are hidden away, meaning weeks on and people still don't know Scouts get double power.
- Same, boring enemies every single time.. which leads me into
- Same enemy attacks EVERY time. There's no randomness to what enemies you will face. Wave 3 will always have the same enemies as any Wave 3
- Only 4 bosses, and they are all kinda crappy
- No emote system for non-mic users so you can say thanks for a revive or STOP BUILDING SENTRIES
- ONLY the option of playing 1-50 with no random joins, meaning you play the same 1-20 waves before everyone has left
- Its 2016. Retire. Fucking. Gridlock.
- The bounties are all kinda weak, and some are just plain dumb
- There are so few skins/characters out that I don't ever feel like saving my credits for an Elite pack

These are just some of the things that have made it rather tedious for me. If they hadn't have increased the horde credits already I probably would have stopped playing by now.

Sounds about right.

If they better explained the class system it would be so much better. You should be able to see your teammates skills and etc. Explaining the benefits as to why the scout should be picking up power and picking it up during the wave for double energy is annoying.

Jawmuncher

ah, saw you posting in PC threads so figured it was that.

Sounds about right.

If they better explained the class system it would be so much better. You should be able to see your teammates skills and etc. Explaining the benefits as to why the scout should be picking up power and picking it up during the wave for double energy is annoying.

Been posting in the PC threads to try and see if MS would release a fix for my downloading issues lol.

Newlove

I'm on Act IV: Part two where I've just got out of the mines. The game feels quite long, without giving me a specific chapter where things end, am I quite far in? Feels like there's still quite a bit more story to tell.

balohna

I'm on Act IV: Part two where I've just got out of the mines. The game feels quite long, without giving me a specific chapter where things end, am I quite far in? Feels like there's still quite a bit more story to tell.

You're well past the halfway mark. Still a bit more to go, but you're getting close.

Overwatch and Halo 5 do this. Gears 3 just had you pay $50 for a giant batch of gun skins. What is the example of the better way?
Halo 5 doesn't give you duplicates for customization items.
Gears Pack Feedback
  • We are going to have an update on Gears Packs. One large piece of feedback we are looking at including is the removal of duplicate cards appearing in packs that need it. We do plan on keeping them in some packs where they make sense (ie: Horde Booster Packs).
  • Future Community Holiday Event packs (Gearsmas, etc) will always have a credit path to obtaining them.
  • We will have more details on this here in the very near future.
See this Narpas? Improvements.

So you can't name one, ok. You should have probably lopped off that part of the post along with the rest of it that you ignored.

Overwatch gives duplicates and everyone falls over themselves loving that game, and Halo's packs impact gameplay way more while also being consumable. Neither is releasing new free maps at the rate that Gears is. The Gears dupes let you get scrap to buy exactly the skin you want, something you can't do at all in Halo and which you can't do for promo items like Summer Games in Overwatch.

There is a spectrum in play here, and games will fall here or there on it. I don't think Gears is standout egregious like, say, Evolve. I don't believe there is an example of a game that does it exactly how you want it to, with the scale of free content being delivered by this game.

Overwatch gives duplicates but you get a crate for every level up making it more tolerable. You can't use scrap to buy items from promos like Esports pack either.

Getting ready to throw in the towel. Too many problems for me. They've done a lot right, but I don't think I've got the guts for it anymore.

BHK3

Banned
So you can't name one, ok. You should have probably lopped off that part of the post along with the rest of it that you ignored.

Overwatch gives duplicates and everyone falls over themselves loving that game, and Halo's packs impact gameplay way more while also being consumable. Neither is releasing new free maps at the rate that Gears is. The Gears dupes let you get scrap to buy exactly the skin you want, something you can't do at all in Halo and which you can't do for promo items like Summer Games in Overwatch.

There is a spectrum in play here, and games will fall here or there on it. I don't think Gears is standout egregious like, say, Evolve. I don't believe there is an example of a game that does it exactly how you want it to, with the scale of free content being delivered by this game.
oh yea man the scrap is so good I love having to trash 500 items to be able to make 1 decent item

hey you know what successful game does that too? Overwatch. But thats filled to the brim with total garbage like voice lines so you're always getting something new!!

Until whales go extinct and these AAA games stop selling boatloads of copies, these MT's are here to stay.

The biggest gripe from me with this game is the credit system. I play a lot and barley have been able to buy any packs. If I have the season pass I should get 2x the credit amount. That is all I have to say.

Still really like the game and won't stop playing it, just a small complaint.

ya season pass owners should get a free elite pack every month or something.

So, if the two new maps replace two existing ones, does that mean we can't even get the achievement for finishing Horde on the launch maps?

(I mean, once they're released obviously)

achievements locked behind the season pass! ;)

Jawmuncher

It took me FOREVER to be able to craft a legendary. I had to scrap all of my legendary items and still work on getting more people. The scrap amounts are so low.

painey

It took me FOREVER to be able to craft a legendary. I had to scrap all of my legendary items and still work on getting more people. The scrap amounts are so low.

There's an achievement for crafting a legendary - which I want - but there's not a single thing there worth crafting for me. Why are Day of the Dead skins legendary?? Let me craft Maria or General Raam.

I'm about 60% towards being able to craft another legendary (then again I probably have more time in this game than everyone in the thread combined). There's nothing I want though so I'm going to just hope they release an actual good Kait skin or Savage Grenadier Elite.

Top Bottom