• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Ballistik

You know what map remake might fit in this game... Allfathers Garden from Gears 2. A pretty much forgotten map, mostly close combat with a few long range areas... but to me it just seems like a map you'd see in Gears 4.

They just need to overhaul the visuals and theme, because it's a really bland looking map... but the layout is interesting.

You know what map remake might fit in this game... Allfathers Garden from Gears 2. A pretty much forgotten map, mostly close combat with a few long range areas... but to me it just seems like a map you'd see in Gears 4.

They just need to overhaul the visuals and theme, because it's a really bland looking map... but the layout is interesting.

There are loads of forgotten Gears of War 2 maps that deserve a revamp.

I do think the game is currently missing a killer map.

I think all the previous games had a better launch selection.

JimiNutz

Banned
Crappy matchmaking, shotgun inconsistencies and overpowered starting weapons (in Core) are really sucking the fun out of it for me.

I'm so frustrated with it. I hate it at the moment.

Yeah there's too much bullshit for it to be an enjoyable game long term. The matchmaking is horrendous and seems to constantly put me in unbalanced teams that get ridiculously dominated.

I don't understand how they can't get the Gnasher right after 5 games either.

Think I had my fill after Gears 3.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Any idea when the patch will hit? Midnight? Early am? Afternoon?

PC community is all but dead. If the new social crossplay playlist doesn't help then I'll have to put the game away.

Any idea when the patch will hit? Midnight? Early am? Afternoon?

PC community is all but dead. If the new social crossplay playlist doesn't help then I'll have to put the game away.

I refuse to believe Microsoft and Coalition didn't know that was gonna happen. Crossplay VS should have been a thing from the start.

Am I just running into a bad run of Horde mode sessions, or do people drop out for no reason all of the time? All day, I haven't had ONE game where people stayed past round 20, with most dropping out before round 10. Frustrating as all hell.

Hit me up if anyone wants to do some Horde mode.

Gamertag: Dakula

SDMG

This is pretty interesting an a real nice feature I would love to see implemented in other games.

Im unable to make a thread so I felt this would be the best place to put it.

Microsoft’s new Gears of War now features an amazing new sound engine called Triton which creates more realistic sound which responds to the virtual environment it is created in, resulting in realistic reverb which lets users know if they are in a hallway or cathedral just by ear.

The technology creates a voxel map of an area with accurate reverb characteristics for each material and then applies realistic echo/reflection effects to the soundscape. It is based on work by Microsoft researchers Nikunj Raghuvanshi and John Snyder titled “Parametric Wave Field Coding for Precomputed Sound Propagation.” video demo

gow-soundscape.gif

This is different from the current state of the art, which merely muted sound based on distance and obstruction.

“The occlusion and obstruction values that Triton gives our game are really, really accurate to every listener position permutation possible on the map,” said Gears 4 audio director John Morgan.

“A lot of people would be like, ‘Why does it sound like I’m in a bathroom when I’m going through this hallway?’ People playing the game didn’t understand why it was wrong, but it felt wrong to them,” Morgan said. “A big part of that is how does the dialog sound? How do the weapons sound? How does the reverb of that space, or the acoustic properties of that space sound? If you get it wrong, people will notice right away.”

more at link https://mspoweruser.com/microsofts-new-gears-of-war-now-features-an-amazing-new-sound-engine/

I see they're completely gimping the Hammerburst as expected. "Significantly reducing damage" on any weapon in this game is ridiculous. The HB needed to be addressed but I'm fully expecting it to be back to the beta levels of shit after this update.

aBarreras

Ah my mistake. Guess I'll stay out of competitive then.

It said something about the core tuning is getting the damage reduction so it sounds like the HB will be a piece of crap in every mode.

thank god, its such bullshit to being downed in less than a second with that fucking ridiculous weapon.

The Hammerburst in its launch state was a power weapon in all but name. Everyone used and abused it.

My issue, and it's the same problem I had with Gears of War 3, is starting weapons are too good. When the Gnasher works, it is an absolute monster, while the Enforcer downs in an instant up close.

But I understand it is a difficult aspect of the game to balance.

If you're going to lessen the impact of stopping power, continue to allow wall-cancelling and design maps in favour of CQC, the rifles need to be pretty good to avoid making them irrelevant.

The Lancer needs to be more useful too because, as it is, there's no reason to select it.

Personally, and I've not experienced it because I don't like the play types, I reckon competitive balancing might be a better experience overall (just base don what I've heard).

I do think the Boomshot can be a bit shit though... then again, it was a mini nuke in Gears of War 3.

vort3x

This is pretty interesting an a real nice feature I would love to see implemented in other games.

Im unable to make a thread so I felt this would be the best place to put it.

more at link https://mspoweruser.com/microsofts-new-gears-of-war-now-features-an-amazing-new-sound-engine/

HAH! This is the biggest load of bull I've read unless this is specifically talking about just the single player mode because in multiplayer the surround sound is SHIT. Complete and utter SHIT. Footsteps are non existent unless you are a Deebee, Gunshots and head explosion's sound like they're literally right next to you even though the player that died is across the map. On certain maps I can hear enemy chatter clear as day as if they're right next to me but they're actually on the opposite side of the map where they shouldn't be able to be heard at all. Gears 3 had amazing sound compared to 4.

I tried using a nice headset the other day to play gears and oh god playing in stereo is so much worse. Being unable to discern where anyone is is a night mare. This is actually more on the xbox end because xbox doesnt support 5.1,7.1 surround without you having to buy a $300 headset where as sony you can buy a $80 headset that simulates surround sound beautifully, tried it out yesterday at a friends with battlefield and it was great.

Moofers

I'm told you get more XP in public matchmaking than you do in private games. Why? That de-incentivizes season pass holders from playing the new maps a week early.

Can anyone confirm?

Iceman829

Am I just running into a bad run of Horde mode sessions, or do people drop out for no reason all of the time? All day, I haven't had ONE game where people stayed past round 20, with most dropping out before round 10. Frustrating as all hell.

Hit me up if anyone wants to do some Horde mode.

Gamertag: Dakula

Last night was rough in social horde (normal). 3 matches in a row the team didn't make it to round 10. 1 guy got mad a teammate revived him and said don't waste the money. I typed in the game chat that the first revive of each round is always free. Being shown up angered him more so he quit. The last game I made it to round 30, but everyone wasted all of our cash and me and the only guy who stayed for te boss round had no money. The 1 round we would've won my batteries died and of course enemies decided to rush at that exact moment.

If you want to group up sometime you can add me. GT - Iceman829

I'm told you get more XP in public matchmaking than you do in private games. Why? That de-incentivizes season pass holders from playing the new maps a week early.

Can anyone confirm?

I thought season pass owners have a special VIP playlist to play the maps early along with the ability to play all maps in private matches

pitchfork

Today, hip hop’s biggest names officially join the Gears of War family with playable characters ready for Versus Multiplayer and Horde 3.0. Available for purchase as part of the Run the Jewels Air Drop, both EL-P and Killer Mike have lent their voices, likeness and ‘can’t nobody save us but us’ attitude to Gears of War 4 continuing their partnership with Xbox and The Coalition
Read more at http://news.xbox.com/#9YjpLFl5OpsG2EAO.99
http://news.xbox.com/2016/11/01/run-the-jewels-gears-4/

thank god, its such bullshit to being downed in less than a second with that fucking ridiculous weapon.

Then you're in luck my friend, because nobody will be using it after this update. Everyone will be able to run around out of cover with their gnashers out to their heart's content. Won't need to bother taking cover or strategizing with teammates because the cover button is now officially just there to wallbounce around in a hilarious fashion.

The Lancer needs to be more useful too because, as it is, there's no reason to select it.

Honestly, I thought this too but I started giving the Lancer a shot lately and an active Lancer is the most effective weapon in the game imo. No recoil, minimal spread, super easy to handle, high ROF, and large mag.

But now I see they're reducing its effectiveness at closer range too so it's even easier for everyone to just walk through a hail of bullets to one shot you with the gnasher.

Thanks to The Coalition for the Run The Jewels pack. Yes, its a bit pricey at $19.99, but All items guaranteed in 4 packs, im in! Bought and waiting for update.

Just make sure those next eSPORT packs have no commons or doubles and ill happily be a whale. :)

Thanks for listening to the community!

Thanks to The Coalition for the Run The Jewels pack. Yes, its a bit pricey at $19.99, but All items guaranteed in 4 packs, im in! Bought and waiting for update.

Just make sure those next eSPORT packs have no commons or doubles and ill happily be a whale. :)

sorry but i still think its absolutely gross they can add new paid packs to the game without fixing the insanely bad credits situation

....you have to get $80 worth of packs for all items?

💩

Xater

sorry but i still think its absolutely gross they can add new paid packs to the game without fixing the insanely bad credits situation

You'd think they would at least also add the items to the random pool for the normal boxes, so there is a chance to get them. That's how you do such a system the right way. This is just straight up disgusting. I'm out of this game for good now. I would have preferred a normal map season pass with everything else unlockable to this shit.

aBarreras

Then you're in luck my friend, because nobody will be using it after this update. Everyone will be able to run around out of cover with their gnashers out to their heart's content. Won't need to bother taking cover or strategizing with teammates because the cover button is now officially just there to wallbounce around in a hilarious fashion.

you talk like if the fucking HB gives any chance to regroup and analize the situation, you just drop on an instant.

not using cover or strategizing with teammates with that weapon, you just shoot across the map and drop people like they were peanuts.

i hope this post is sarcasm

but what does it matter that the credit system is shit, when you only can buy these fucking thing with fucking real money?! AMIRITE?

you talk like if the fucking HB gives any chance to regroup and analize the situation, you just drop on an instant.

not using cover or strategizing with teammates with that weapon, you just shoot across the map and drop people like they were peanuts.

It takes 3 of the bursts to down somebody. If you can't get to cover before two more of them hit you then you deserve to die, you're too far out in the open in a cover-based game.

I'm not denying it needs to be toned down. Either take away the quicker fire rate from active and/or give it a drop in effective range. But, like Epic, you can already see they're going to gimp the shit out of it to the point of uselessness. Its TTK isn't the problem, its the accuracy at range.

Has anyone done a TTK video of the three starting rifles?

Honestly, I thought this too but I started giving the Lancer a shot lately and an active Lancer is the most effective weapon in the game imo. No recoil, minimal spread, super easy to handle, high ROF, and large mag.

But now I see they're reducing its effectiveness at closer range too so it's even easier for everyone to just walk through a hail of bullets to one shot you with the gnasher.

Just read the changes to weapons they're introducing today. Are these people out of their fucking minds? Oh my dear this will be a complete disaster. So basically Lancer and Hammerburst will become obsolete....Gnashers of War indeed. This will become Judgment multiplayer without the hoping everywhere.

....you have to get $80 worth of packs for all items?

💩
Nono. That would be terrible. Lol.

You get 4 packs that contain ALL characters, emblems, and weapon skins. $19.99

Id like to see that at 14.99, but this is acceptable to me as a paid promotional pack.

The in game credit system/ packs is a whole different story. That still needs work.

I think some of you guys are getting a bit too worried about the changes.

The hammerburst is getting nerfed at general body range. That needed to happen. I just hope they didnt nerf it to Gears1 uselessness. Shots to the head remain the same damage.

aBarreras

the worst thing is that people didnt even know that the Hammerburst was fucking broken until the coalition announced the nerf,

these last 4 o 5 days have been just Hammerburst galore.

so this is just a case of going to the weapon that is stronger, there is nothing about, "playstyle" or something. they just go to the stronger weapon and thats it

Top Bottom