• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Anyone on pc able to find a pumpkin ball match? I'm really hoping crossplay is implemented :(

I was playing it all day, got the achievement for getting the big ol hero ribbon 10 times. Full lobbies the whole time

They also made it playable with bots so how are you not finding a match?

J_Viper

TC's writers need to cut down on the constant squad banter next time, especially when 90% of it it isn't funny.

Thankfully, the voice work is solid enough to make it work, but seriously, there's way too much.

TheChits

I was playing it all day, got the achievement for getting the big ol hero ribbon 10 times. Full lobbies the whole time

They also made it playable with bots so how are you not finding a match?

Well after not working at various times throughout the day it suddenly found one instantly lol.

Grisby

I know the OT thread for Quantum Break had this as a rather polarizing topic matter, but I had little trouble with that final boss fight. And once you know how he telegraphs his moves, it becomes much easier. Also, I loved that game.

Another GAFfer recommended restarting that chapter in Act 4 in Gears. I think I am going to do that and go the methodical route. I just haven't had much time for gaming this week. :-/
I didn't have trouble with QB's final boss either. Died a few times, and that cutscene before hand is annoying, but yea, nothing like the frustrating time I had with Gears 4's guy.

Finished it.

For me, it's easily a
4/10

I was in such apathy towards the end of it, so in awe of how by the numbers the campaign is with such little memorable variety and so many minute mistakes that come with that generic feel, that I cannot think of a more appropriate score.

Every tenet of the modern action game - waiting on enemies to all clear out before a door becomes open, waiting on someone to open doors meaning waves of enemies before anything happens, linear, predictable level design, etc - is now mixed in with gameplay that got more stale by the end, combat scenarios that never evolved, and one of the worst main character casts I've played with in recent video games.

What a disappointment.

AlexBasch

Think I'm gonna give up on soloing Insane. Jesus Christ, I'm at Act 1 in the part with the elevators and those fuckers just won't go down. Of course, you get shot twice and it's reloading from checkpoint again.

And since I won't tolerate going to a lower difficulty, guess I'll just stick to multiplayer for the time being haha.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
why is the lancer such a piece of shit in this game? was it really that much of a problem in previous Gears they needed to do this to it? You're better off using a pistol than this crap.

Moofers

I was really hoping to see one new map along with one returning map each month. I'm disappointed to see that it's two returning maps for the first month and not only that but they are two of my least favorite ones. We've got enough industrial looking maps made of cold steel, how about some inspired designs with seasonal features? There's no snow map, no Fall map (Foundation sort of counts but is also half industrial), etc. Give us some cool new places we haven't yet seen in Gears! Industrial zones are tired as fuck.

probably the two maps i hated the most from gears 3..

I think you could make an argument for Checkout being the best map in Gears of War 3 and one of the best in the franchise.

I don't think Drydock was a good choice though. Once teams set up, it is a total nightmare (you can argue as much on most maps, but when you spawn below the opponent it's even worse).

I think you could make an argument for Checkout being the best map in Gears of War 3 and one of the best in the franchise.

I don't think Drydock was a good choice though. Once teams set up, it is a total nightmare (you can argue as much on most maps, but when you spawn below the opponent it's even worse).

it's a good map i just hated how often it was picked. same reason I hate playing gridlock, trying to find a match in Gears 1 that wasn't on that map felt impossible.

Where are you reading this? They're the only ones I want tbh
In addition to the release of these fan favorite maps, tune into Xbox Wire on November 1 for a sneak peek at the Run the Jewels “Air Drop” featuring playable Killer Mike and EL-P characters for Versus Multiplayer and Horde.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/10/28/new-gears-4-maps-debut-november-1/#eVk3JUcWRbXWzUt5.99

Nothing added to this game will be free besides the maps. I've already accepted it.

Where are you reading this? They're the only ones I want tbh

Pez confirmed it here.

The video they released for it was removed, I don't know if it's because it was released early or because of the initial backlash, but in that thread Pez confirmed you get the characters when you purchase the airdrop.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Now while I haven't had problems like this, here is a clip my friend recorded.

22% in 2 hits

S6La7n7.gif

That's me with a shotgun in every FPS. Glad to see I am not alone with having such shit accuracy at close range...

http://news.xbox.com/2016/10/28/new-gears-4-maps-debut-november-1/#eVk3JUcWRbXWzUt5.99

Nothing added to this game will be free besides the maps. I've already accepted it.
wowowowowow..... This is absurd. Here I am hoping they'll release more characters down the line, but if everything will be gated behind microtransactions then screw that.

Ya screwed up big time, TC. I'm enjoying the multiplayer, but I'm so put off by the packs in this game that it takes away my will to play, and I already have the only skin I wanted atm: the E-Day Gear.

vort3x

I am happy the update is soon. I was hoping they'd do one new and one old map but yeah having two old maps is a bummer. Checkout is an awesome map, it's definitely one of the best of the series. Drydock on the other hand is meh. Could have done without it.

balohna

Fight is bullshit. Beat him on hardcore/co-op after like 2 hours of trying. We went upstairs on one of the platforms since there's only 1 way up and could constantly revive each other. We also killed the piece of shit with only blowing up I think 2 blisters, he eventually just died after eating a fucktom of ammo. Worst fight since
Paul
at the end of
Quantum Break

Luckily, the last boss is a great fight we beat on the 2nd try.

Uh, thanks for spoiling a game that this thread isn't about without any warning.

TRios Zen

Played a match of KotH yesterday where we were getting worked to the tune of 179 - 55 when I dropped a couple of grenades that killed me AND 4 of the other team holding the ring. My team got that ring and we managed to win every other ring to win 180 - 179. Pretty intense and fun match.

Some crazy shit happened with boomshot though, waited for a downed enemy to be picked up by his teammate, and dropped a boomshot at their feet to get a double-kill and he just picks the guy up and they both rolled away...

Ah well, a win is a win.

lol people trying to do the team revive glitch in horde and being too stupid to have a proper loadout for it

yea don't equip the deposit bonus and the health bonus/pick up radius on a scout. gj

wowowowowow..... This is absurd. Here I am hoping they'll release more characters down the line, but if everything will be gated behind microtransactions then screw that.

Ya screwed up big time, TC. I'm enjoying the multiplayer, but I'm so put off by the packs in this game that it takes away my will to play, and I already have the only skin I wanted atm: the E-Day Gear.

Yeah it's dumb as hell which is why I'm going so hard in this game right now.

In terms of gameplay I really enjoy the game but it's going to be dead within a year easily. Just the crate situation alone is going to be enough to kill the game. People have complained that Elite packs give nothing and asked for better drop rates. Boy did TC listen. Halloween Elite packs with a guaranteed Epic or Legendary! oh, but it's $5, your credits are worthless. Now the Run The Jewels stuff they hyped up, hey give us more money please.

and those are just the issues that would piss people off about cosmetics. When you get into how they fucked up Horde, smh.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Today I learned that there is no way to play Escalation on PC between 1-3pm EST in the U.S.

Hard circumstance to accept considering this is a brand new game that just released. Try and try and you will not be able to find a game.

That is so weird.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Some crazy shit happened with boomshot though, waited for a downed enemy to be picked up by his teammate, and dropped a boomshot at their feet to get a double-kill and he just picks the guy up and they both rolled away...

Same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. On Gridlock I saw a guy reviving his teammate near the grenades. Fired a boomshot directly at them... nothing happened.

Maybe they are invulnerable during the animation?

Today I learned that there is no way to play Escalation on PC between 1-3pm EST in the U.S.

Hard circumstance to accept considering this is a brand new game that just released. Try and try and you will not be able to find a game.

That is so weird.

Pretty sure there is no way to play Escalation on PC during any of the 24 hours in a day.

TRios Zen

Same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. On Gridlock I saw a guy reviving his teammate near the grenades. Fired a boomshot directly at them... nothing happened.

Maybe they are invulnerable during the animation?

Sadly, I've been exploded before while doing that, but I would guess that maybe there is a brief period of time when they are invincible and we were just lucky enough to hit it?

Maybe I should have played the lotto that night!

I dont get this. Youd rather pay money for maps and get a split playerbase? Who the fuck cares about skins? I opened a couple packs the day I bought the game, trashed the skin I got and bought the one i wanted with scrap. Done.

Horde cards are the only thing that you should care about being gated, but those are the cheapest packs and leveling up your shit in Horde took forever in Gears 3 also even though there was no option to do it faster for real money. In Gears 4, I'm going to max rank on all the cards I care about long before I max out my class level (which you can't pay to speed up). It's really not balanced any differently than it was before.

I really don't get the complaint.

Insane horde matchmaking was just the absolute worst today.

I guess my luck ran out. Nothing but awful players and low level players that play as if it was on Casual. I can't even find a ranked match..

I dont get this. Youd rather pay money for maps and get a split playerbase? Who the fuck cares about skins? I opened a couple packs the day I bought the game, trashed the skin I got and bought the one i wanted with scrap. Done.

Horde cards are the only thing that you should care about being gated, but those are the cheapest packs and leveling up your shit in Horde took forever in Gears 3 also even though there was no option to do it faster for real money. In Gears 4, I'm going to max rank on all the cards I care about long before I max out my class level (which you can't pay to speed up). It's really not balanced any differently than it was before.

I really don't get the complaint.
There are better examples of how to execute a microtransactions model that doesn't involve playing tons of matches to buy packs, packs which may contain duplicates even at the most expensive. And the crafting system does not really alleviate these issues because it's only going to get worse when they release more DLC, assuming of course it's not gated by real money again like it is with this Halloween pack. You make it seem like it's either this exact model or paying for maps when that is not the case.

There are better examples of how to execute a microtransactions model that doesn't involve playing tons of matches to buy packs, packs which may contain duplicates even at the most expensive. And the crafting system does not really alleviate these issues because it's only going to get worse when they release more DLC, assuming of course it's not gated by real money again like it is with this Halloween pack. You make it seem like it's either this exact model or paying for maps when that is not the case.

Overwatch and Halo 5 do this. Gears 3 just had you pay $50 for a giant batch of gun skins. What is the example of the better way? Everybody is doing blind packs these days, if they aren't doing straight up season passes which are clearly worse. Isn't CS charging for sprays these days?

Titanfall 2 seems to be the only thing going straight free, and it has comparatively little cosmetic customization and they sure aren't promising 24 maps in 12 months.

Do you change your character skin all the time? I've been using the same multiplayer character for 4 games in a row. I unlocked him in this game the first night.

Even if I didn't get him, I'd rather cross my fingers for a skin than pay $50 for a season pass to go on a playlist with 700 people in it.

Enclose

Why i cant find any players in horde or in the event mode? Always only 1-2 People, and never a full Lobby....

Thats really annoys me.

Edit : Playing on PC.

Why i cant find any players in horde or in the event mode? Always only 1-2 People, and never a full Lobby....

Thats really annoys me.

Edit : Playing on PC.

People are saying the servers are fucked and it's probably true. Occasionally when I enter versus or horde and it says "connecting to online" it won't connect and give me a message that I need to have XBL gold or be connected online.

Fight is bullshit. Beat him on hardcore/co-op after like 2 hours of trying. We went upstairs on one of the platforms since there's only 1 way up and could constantly revive each other. We also killed the piece of shit with only blowing up I think 2 blisters, he eventually just died after eating a fucktom of ammo. Worst fight since
Paul
at the end of
Quantum Break

Luckily, the last boss is a great fight we beat on the 2nd try.
You're a fucking saint! I wanna buy you a drink so bad right now. I jut beat that boss on Solo Insane!

I restarted the Chapter and thought about you saying that you and your friend beat the Swarmak without popping all the blisters. Well, as soon as the fight started, all I did was shoot the Swarmak until it was dead. I didn't blow up any transformers, no other enemies spawned, and I just soaked up all the lancer ammo I needed from the endless ammo box.

Now, this is totally worth repeating:

All I did was shoot the Swarmak until it was dead.

That fight was easy mode!

Uh, thanks for spoiling a game that this thread isn't about without any warning.
How can you accuse phant0m of spoiling something that was spoiler tagged?! What are you going to tell me next? That cats and dogs can get along?!

Tomash

November 1st Update(TU1) and Future updates

Cross-play will be in a special event playlist.

Slight changes to Competitive Lancer and Gnasher, significant nerf for Core Hammerburst, fix for Gnasher not firing/expending ammo, many other fixes, true offline LAN lobbies on Windows 10

TU2:
  • Footstep audio
  • Grenade Spawning Fix
  • Campaign Achievement Issues
Future updates:
  • Ranks/Horde Icons not appearing in scoreboards
  • Competitive/Core Lobbies
Unspecified/after TU1:
  • Player Penalties
  • Horde Leaderboards

Gears Pack Feedback
  • We are going to have an update on Gears Packs. One large piece of feedback we are looking at including is the removal of duplicate cards appearing in packs that need it. We do plan on keeping them in some packs where they make sense (ie: Horde Booster Packs).
  • Future Community Holiday Event packs (Gearsmas, etc) will always have a credit path to obtaining them.
  • We will have more details on this here in the very near future.
Some additional Windows 10 features coming
  • Vertical Split Screen and Ultra Wide HUD scaling are coming to Windows 10 in the next Title Update.
  • Patching on Windows 10 is a better experience now. Cyphos will have a post regarding that later this weekend.

Top Bottom