• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Stevey

Some reasons I find it boring:

- Class system explanations are hidden away, meaning weeks on and people still don't know Scouts get double power.
- Same, boring enemies every single time.. which leads me into
- Same enemy attacks EVERY time. There's no randomness to what enemies you will face. Wave 3 will always have the same enemies as any Wave 3
- Only 4 bosses, and they are all kinda crappy
- No emote system for non-mic users so you can say thanks for a revive or STOP BUILDING SENTRIES
- ONLY the option of playing 1-50 with no random joins, meaning you play the same 1-20 waves before everyone has left
- Its 2016. Retire. Fucking. Gridlock.
- The bounties are all kinda weak, and some are just plain dumb
- There are so few skins/characters out that I don't ever feel like saving my credits for an Elite pack

These are just some of the things that have made it rather tedious for me. If they hadn't have increased the horde credits already I probably would have stopped playing by now.

lmao what?
Best map in the series.

SpokkX

Well the campaign..

i was bored almost all the way through

Linear, predictable, insultingly simple mission "objectives". This really is in line with the old games i guess. Not ok 2016 though with Doom releasing the same year that really reinvented the series

Felt phones in. Will never ever play it again

The storms were cool though and the story best in a gears game

jackdoe

Just beat the game. Wow, does it end abruptly. I beat the final boss, without realizing that it was the final boss.

In spite of this, I really enjoyed this campaign. Felt more like Gears of War 2 than Gears of War 3.

oh yea man the scrap is so good I love having to trash 500 items to be able to make 1 decent item

hey you know what successful game does that too? Overwatch. But thats filled to the brim with total garbage like voice lines so you're always getting something new!!

Until whales go extinct and these AAA games stop selling boatloads of copies, these MT's are here to stay.

The first night I played, I scrapped 1 skin and used the scrap to buy 1 other skin, which was the skin I wanted. So I'm out of the cosmetic grind completely. I don't have to suffer looking at the back of the head of the wrong character.

I've played each Horde map once (usually no further than level 25 or so), and I already have rank 2 or 3 in pretty much all of my preferred cards. I'm only level 3 in my two preferred classes so I can't even use them all at once. I played Gears 3 for hundreds of hours and never maxed out my fortification levels, so I'm pacing way faster to min/max my Horde experience.

These MTs are superior to expensive season passes that ruin the community even if you do buy them. I'll take the 24 maps.

Moofers

The first night I played, I scrapped 1 skin and used the scrap to buy 1 other skin, which was the skin I wanted. So I'm out of the cosmetic grind completely. I don't have to suffer looking at the back of the head of the wrong character.

I've played each Horde map once (usually no further than level 25 or so), and I already have rank 2 or 3 in pretty much all of my preferred cards. I'm only level 3 in my two preferred classes so I can't even use them all at once. I played Gears 3 for hundreds of hours and never maxed out my fortification levels, so I'm pacing way faster to min/max my Horde experience.
1st paragraph: good for you. You must have drawn a Legendary skin and scrapped it for an epic or less. I've yet to draw even one epic skin out of several boxes.

2nd paragraph: how the fuck did you not max out fortifications after hundreds of hours? I think it took me like 60 hours? Maybe less? The only exception could be the silverback unless you just bought the same fortifications every time and never left your comfort zone, but in that case your fortifications in regular use should be maxed out no problem.

You're fighting awfully hard to defend a system that has clearly seen a lot of people raising legitimate issues. I don't understand why you can't get your head around the complaints as well as the good suggestions people have brought forward in this thread.

this mp is straight up garbage on xbox.

nothing but quitters. i'd rather wait up to 5 minutes to find a match on PC, at least people actually end up staying in the lobby.

MCD

Addressed an issue where players would sometimes not be able to play co-op campaign with another friend.

And all this time I thought this was connection/NAT error.

The Coalition got the worst servers/netcode ever.

Jawmuncher

Also I think it's pretty dumb that they're holding off locust horde characters. They're in the game field already. We already know you're gonna add them to swarm side, just do it already please. The swarm selection is so meager, that not even the DeeBees help.

JimiNutz

Banned
Getting ready to throw in the towel. Too many problems for me. They've done a lot right, but I don't think I've got the guts for it anymore.

I threw in the towel last week.
Realised that Gears just isn't for me anymore.

It's a shame because the first game was very special for me, it got me back into gaming and was the first online game that I was actually addicted to. Used to play in like 6 hour bursts while I was at uni.

I've hung on in there with each of the sequels and even own that stupid Marcus statue that came with Gears 3 along with various other action figures and memorabilia. The bottom line though is that I loved the franchise less and less with each new release.

Gears 4 has been the final nail in the coffin. There's a whole lot to love about the game and I think the franchise is in really safe hands... It just isn't for me anymore. First it was the PvP that I abandoned, then Horde and now I can't even bring myself to finish the campaign :(

Jack cw

Finished SP and I have to say it's the best campaign of all games. Linear as hell but story was alright and set pieces were great with all those weapons to use. The boss fights were all fun. But the recycled assets only reskined with basically the same level design from 10 years ago and sometimes even smaller corridors were disapointing.

Ashtar

Finally beat horde on casual, live running out in november gotta enjoy what i can.
I can't stand versus, getting one hit by gnashers is no fun
Campaign actually shaping up at the end though, feel like AI is more aggressive and I've seen a couple things I hadn't seen before.

Nazgul11

I've got a quick question:

- I just bought a GTX 1080 on Newegg and it comes with code for Gears 4.

- Now, I bought an Nvidia Gears 4 code on eBay during the craze, before most people realized they weren't completely legit. Obviously, it has since been revoked. (I got a refund so it's all good).

My question is; will this new code that I receive from Newegg work, despite it being the same Microsoft account and email address that the first code got revoked on?

I threw in the towel last week.
Realised that Gears just isn't for me anymore.

It's a shame because the first game was very special for me, it got me back into gaming and was the first online game that I was actually addicted to. Used to play in like 6 hour bursts while I was at uni.

I've hung on in there with each of the sequels and even own that stupid Marcus statue that came with Gears 3 along with various other action figures and memorabilia. The bottom line though is that I loved the franchise less and less with each new release.

Gears 4 has been the final nail in the coffin. There's a whole lot to love about the game and I think the franchise is in really safe hands... It just isn't for me anymore. First it was the PvP that I abandoned, then Horde and now I can't even bring myself to finish the campaign :(

Crappy matchmaking, shotgun inconsistencies and overpowered starting weapons (in Core) are really sucking the fun out of it for me.

I'm so frustrated with it. I hate it at the moment.

FireRises

I'm still blasting through the campaign on PC but man is this game sweet so far

edit: is there a list of the PC players who like to play MP/Horde?

Sucks to see some of you having a bad time with the MP. It's easily the best Gears MP for me. Of course I use the hammerburst, have only dealt with my shotgun not registering a handful of times, I have an elite controller to help me wallbounce, and I typically run with a squad so we almost never lose. Other than the shitty pack system that doesn't feel rewarding at all, my major complaint is that I'm almost never the character I select. Hopefully after the update on Tuesday MP will be more fun for y'all who aren't having the best time.

Ushay

Just hit Act 3 of the campaign, man is this best Gears game for me so far. Can't wait to check it out horde mode.

Wish I had more time..

This game is really making me take stock of where I am as a gamer and what I want.

I've come to the realisation that my temperament has dramatically changed as I've grown older.

I was 16 when the original game came out, had a bunch of friends who played regularly and had the will to really push through the inconsistencies.

After all, I had nothing better to do,

Ten years later, I'm 26, have a smaller group of friends and just don't have the heart to put up with the rubbish anymore.

My gaming time is limited and I want to enjoy it as much as I can.

I used to get a thrill out of being good at the game, but I don't really anymore (though it still feels good).

I have such a special relationship with the franchise. It was my first online game and at a mechanical level I still think the franchise is unmatched in the genre.

I didn't play many shooters growing up and Gears of War was a pivotal moment in my gaming life - it opened my eyes to new experiences.

But as I said, I'm older now and have less spare time.

When I come home I don't want to be bemoaning my luck and cursing the game when I'm trying to relax.

I'm still pretty good. I win most of my games and my K/D is pretty high, but it rings a little hollow.

On one hand the game can really get my blood pumping like only a Gears of War game can, on the other hand I feel like I'm going through the motions.

I go to bed most nights angry and wondering where the last hour or so of my night went.

The Coalition have nailed Gears of War, which is to stay we've got a slick game, with awesome weapons and intimate action...

... but it means we've also got the inconsistency, the issues surrounding balance and smattering of problems you couldn't predict as well.

The game has got an issue with quitting, which I've openly moaned about, and tangible balance and audio problems.

But when it comes down it, I'm not sure I'm right for Gears of War anymore and that's sad.

Feel free to ignore my ramble, I'm just thinking out loud. :p

pa22word

This game is really making me take stock of where I am as a gamer and what I want.

I've come to the realisation that my temperament has dramatically changed as I've grown older.

I was 16 when the original game came out, had a bunch of friends who played regularly and had the will to really push through the inconsistencies.

After all, I had nothing better to do,

Ten years later, I'm 26, have a smaller group of friends and just don't have the heart to put up with the rubbish anymore.

My gaming time is limited and I want to enjoy it as much as I can.

I used to get a thrill out of being good at the game, but I don't really anymore (though it still feels good).

I have such a special relationship with the franchise. It was my first online game and at a mechanical level I still think the franchise is unmatched in the genre.

I didn't play many shooters growing up and Gears of War was a pivotal moment in my gaming life - it opened my eyes to new experiences.

But as I said, I'm older now and have less spare time.

When I come home I don't want to be bemoaning my luck and cursing the game when I'm trying to relax.

I'm still pretty good. I win most of my games and my K/D is pretty high, but it rings a little hollow.

On one hand the game can really get my blood pumping like only a Gears of War game can, on the other hand I feel like I'm going through the motions.

I go to bed most nights angry and wondering where the last hour or so of my night went.

The Coalition have nailed Gears of War, which is to stay we've got a slick game, with awesome weapons and intimate action...

... but it means we've also got the inconsistency, the issues surrounding balance and smattering of problems you couldn't predict as well.

The game has got an issue with quitting, which I've openly moaned about, and tangible balance and audio problems.

But when it comes down it, I'm not sure I'm right for Gears of War anymore and that's sad.

Feel free to ignore my ramble, I'm just thinking out loud. :p

Don't worry man, it happens to everyone. I loved RPGs when I was a kid with a ton of free time, but nowadays I just don't play them anymore because life is what it is and I don't have the time to regularly sink 50+ hours into a video game anymore.

Reckoner

I feel you, Mr.Fletcher. Oddly, though, I'm enjoying this fourth game like it was the first, but I don't see myself playing it for one or two years everyday like I did in the old days.

Btw, I really like the art of the Gears 3's Gridlock. That dark, grim feel should've been on its fourth version too. Would've helped make things a little fresher.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Jesus, the online multiplayer in this game is downright anemic the last few days. I haven't been able to connect to a single competitive match. No luck connecting to core matches either. The only thing that works is quick play, and even then the games have two or three bots to fill in empty slots.

Just wow.

Jesus, the online multiplayer in this game is downright anemic the last few days. I haven't been able to connect to a single competitive match. No luck connecting to core matches either. The only thing that works is quick play, and even then the games have two or three bots to fill in empty slots.

Just wow.

Gotta be a PC player, right? The game isn't on steam so it was DOA.

pizzacat

Banned
At this point I'm waiting for an update, I got to level 50 lol I've played enough for now I can wait. This isn't reaching gears 2 levels but damn is it frustrating.

Have they opened up Horde for join in progress or are the other players just inviting friends? Two new players have joined my current horde game.

EL CUCO

Have you guys noticed the extra XP from the Pumpkinball playlist? I'm not seeing it in the XP screen and tbh I'm not sure if its giving me anymore than the regular playlist would..

Have you guys noticed the extra XP from the Pumpkinball playlist? I'm not seeing it in the XP screen and tbh I'm not sure if its giving me anymore than the regular playlist would..

I noticed that as well last night. I came in first on the winning team in a pumpkin ball match and yet the xp screen at the end said I only got 2000 xp, I get that from normal matches all the time. I dont think pumpkinball is giving an bonus xp at all.

You're lucky. I have over 20 clips worse than that.

I actually have a clip where I am playing Guardian and I shoot the leader point blank 3 times while he is already downed, didn't even die then a teammate of his comes up and gets me from behind lmao. I almost threw the controller at the tv lol.

aBarreras

You're lucky. I have over 20 clips worse than that.

I actually have a clip where I am playing Guardian and I shoot the leader point blank 3 times while he is already downed, didn't even die then a teammate of his comes up and gets me from behind lmao. I almost threw the controller at the tv lol.

leader has Execution rules applied to him, are you sure you were close enough?

EL CUCO

I noticed that as well last night. I came in first on the winning team in a pumpkin ball match and yet the xp screen at the end said I only got 2000 xp, I get that from normal matches all the time. I dont think pumpkinball is giving an bonus xp at all.
According to Pez on Twitter, it is. I dont know man, I'm gonna have to break out the calculator for this one lol

Don't worry man, it happens to everyone. I loved RPGs when I was a kid with a ton of free time, but nowadays I just don't play them anymore because life is what it is and I don't have the time to regularly sink 50+ hours into a video game anymore.

I feel you, Mr.Fletcher. Oddly, though, I'm enjoying this fourth game like it was the first, but I don't see myself playing it for one or two years everyday like I did in the old days.

Btw, I really like the art of the Gears 3's Gridlock. That dark, grim feel should've been on its fourth version too. Would've helped make things a little fresher.

Thanks for the replies.

I played a little more today and enjoyed myself (had a 20-2 game earlier) but I've still got complaints.

Gears of War 3 had the best Gridlock by a mile. It has much better maps overall in my opinion.

Top Bottom