• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Ballistik

So there's some bug in this update. I was with 4 friends loading up an escalation match and my Xbox turned off. Thought it was just me but nope, all of my friends Xbox's turned off.

TC has just royally fucked this game. The TU ruined the gnasher even more and they still shove microtransactions in our face. Game has been uninstalled by me and my buddy who bought it that I game share with. Gears 5 is now planned as a buy used from GameStop so they don't see a dime from me. Such a disappointment.

malfcn

I'll try the Lancer or Defender after checking out the patched Hammerburst. The Lancer is consistently crap for me though, as I'm run through a whole magazine just to down an enemy. It's like a few bits of data delivering damage gets lost.

JMizzlin

Finally got a chance to sit down with my co-op buddy and have a go at campaign. What started as 'let's try 1 or 2 chapters' ended up on Act 3 Chapter 6. It was super gripping and great stuff. Then, as we came close to what was being built up to be a massive story beat (spoilers:
we literally were walking up to what looked like was Marcus' chrysalis
) this happened:
CwL-wgWVYAAdYdM.jpg:large

5.8GB forced update. We were presumably seconds away from finishing the act. Completely killed all momentum. The update would have taken over an hour for both of us to do. Really really killed any sense of hype I had for that moment and left a sour taste in my mouth after what was a brilliant experience until that point.

Anyone else get stung by this update? This is the first time something like this has happened to me.

vort3x

Damn hammer burst got hit hard. It really didn't need that big of a nerf. Active rate of fire should have been the only thing to get nerfed, not the whole fn gun. Gnasher wtf did they do to it? I've been consistently getting downed or full coged twice the range as before seems like. Did they increase the range because it did NOT need that at all!! Tonight was the first night I rage quit on the game. I hope this is not a daily occurrence because I will be very sad. Underneath all the bullshit the game is so fn good. I really dont understand why they changed it from gears 3. The shotgun in gears 3 was perfect. I have yet to try the competitive mode shotty but they really need to add tdm or other modes in it. Playing escalation without a team is just suicide.

In other news I created a video of the U.S loot crate unboxing as well as the U.K version called Huge Crate. It's a nice comparison between the two crates. If you feel like checking it out would be awesome!

https://youtu.be/8Kfx2aPrJmw

AlStrong

Anyone else get stung by this update? This is the first time something like this has happened to me.
I have had this forced auto-update mid-game occur on 360. Absolutely terrible... I can see why it might be done for competitive MP, but they need to have checks in place for campaign to at least let you finish the current session/match.

I wonder if the update process got aggressive after folks couldn't get updates unless they did a full power off/on cycle back then?

Epic made Drydock and Checkout. although I'm all for TC going back and porting all maps to gears4 because as it stands right now the only decent map in the game is Impact.
Gridlock too but Epic also made that map;

I know that, I just meant that I think The Coalition has done a wonderful job art-wise on both maps.

I will agree the maps just aren't great (I've said as much in here before).

War Machine, Canals, Mansion, Blood Drive, Avalanche, Hotel, Gridlock, Checkout, Old Bones, Fuel Depot, etc. Epic certainly created better maps.

It's not even the case of getting better over time, the original Gears of War had much better maps and that was 10 years ago.

I think Pavilion and Fallout are the best, while there's a bunch of others that just fall into the 'fine' category.

Playing Checkout really highlights how far away The Coalition is from Epic in terms of map design.

I wonder how many of these maps are going to be remastered old ones...

So why in the fuck did I buy the season pass? To play private matches on maps everyone gets? And all this paid dlc with bullshit skins.... Also, who the fuck are those "rappers"?

Although I might pay something if they let me play as Michael Jackson or James Hetfield.
not

Loomba

So why in the fuck did I buy the season pass? To play private matches on maps everyone gets?

Plus 4 days early access, some guaranteed cosmetic stuff, 17 packs and the access to the developer playlist so you can play the new maps before everyone else.

Don't think I'm forgetting anything, it's also a complete rip off. So glad I didn't cave at the time, I was close.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Played for two hours last night. Everything felt fine to me. I downed a few less people with the hammer burst but you can still wreck people easily with it.

Actually I think the most over powered weapon is the nades. If you see one flying in there's nothing you can do to get out of the way it seems. I find the blast radius pretty inconsistent too.

Does anyone still not have the old Gears games?

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Xbox keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1289777.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (GoodCoffeeJoey, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gears of War 3 -- MB-F362FD9BBD26B776 - Taken by Blam. 1 entrants total.
Gears of War -- MB-D9604177C1003922
Gears of War: Judgement -- MB-26367C45F915B9AB - Taken by sixteen-bit. 1 entrants total.
Gears of War 2 -- MB-F7782695FC5E7F5E

t1478088299z1.png

The update got me last night. Got invited to play horde and bam! 5.8gb update. Ended up playing Oxenfree instead.

I don't get how people can complain after buying the season pass. They said what you was getting for your money. I'd have liked to have played 4 days early but I stayed strong because I saw it was worthless.

pitchfork

Dare I say it.. but.. the Gnasher actually feels more consistent to me since the update, I don't whats going on lol!

Really like the overhaul to Checkout and Drydock - are there any video's up that highlight the differences? would be interesting to see

Only issue I had last night was disconnections playing the new maps on Horde for some reason

Sanchito

Fellow GAFFERS, here are a couple of codes for Gears 3 and Judgement. I already own them! Enjoy.

Gears of War 3: QKRRQ-RMMW2-TVRKQ-WTJVG-74FCZ

Gears of War Judgement: M2MDQ-JFQ99-4XHC9-J7M47-4GMMZ

TaterTots

Banned
Instead of just wall bouncing around and getting in close quarter gnasher battles, I've been keeping my distance and using the lancer/hammerburst. I've been baiting people into charging me....switch to gnasher and put them down in one shot. I've played Gears 1 way since the first one...I'm just trying to experiment, but wow do people get pissed if you do not choose to play their way.

haikira

Fellow GAFFERS, here are a couple of codes for Gears 3 and Judgement. I already own them! Enjoy.

Gears of War 3: QKRRQ-RMMW2-TVRKQ-WTJVG-74FCZ

Gears of War Judgement: M2MDQ-JFQ99-4XHC9-J7M47-4GMMZ

Claimed Judgement.

Thank you very much man. Owe you one!

Nere

Love the game but can't find a single ranked game on PC =( Do other pc users have the same problem? Has there been any word about ranked cross play between xbox and pc?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Love the game but can't find a single ranked game on PC =( Do other pc users have the same problem? Has there been any word about ranked cross play between xbox and pc?

I've had this problem all week. Social quick play doesn't do it for me so I've all but uninstalled the game for the time being. I really like the gameplay but I'm shocked that I can't play competitive matches. It's complete bullshit.

grizzelye

Gears Of War - GT9HR-K4MY7-KM4QT-H4P6J-WP76Z
Gears Of War 2 - MWGQD-H6VGW-FR6YH-29JFG-JDHJZ
Gears Of War 3 - 7VY7P-3H3XY-JQJWF-J24CJ-RVCDZ
Gears Of War Judgement - 6YM6F-2JWXV-3TMRT-47TYJ-T947Z

Hopefully no typos!

Some extras:

Quantum Break W10 - RDF24-M32M7-93D6P-F39GR-XWCFZ
Deus Ex Human Revo (X360) - RJ7TF-HW69H-GHGDW-Q64M7-PFK3Z
Deus Ex Human Revo - Missing Link DLC(X360) - TCWTJ-4RYQP-WKFW6-C6YWV-QDCFZ
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts And Bolts (X360) - 7Q2HW-42TF7-2TPJD-CKR9D-FYWDZ

Damn I am so crushed that I missed out on Quantum Break. I am dying to play that game. I keep hoping every month that it will have a big sale or show up on GoD, lol yeah right.

vort3x

Spawning backwards in matches...

This has been going on since before the patch. Guess it got put on the back burner since its not that big of an issue to them.

In this patch they noted how they fixed roadie running before game begins. I had posted about that during the beta when I saw it happen in one of my games guess they waited until now to fix that glitch. So spawning in reverse is probably gonna be fixed sometime next year lol

haikira

Thanks a lot grizzelye. I claimed Gears 2 and 3, and thanks again Sanchito for Judgement.

Recently grabbed Gears of War Ultimate Edition, so I now have the whole series to play on X1, which I plan to do over the holidays.

There are a lot of awesome people around here, and hopefully I can return the favour sometime soon.

Nere

I've had this problem all week. Social quick play doesn't do it for me so I've all but uninstalled the game for the time being. I really like the gameplay but I'm shocked that I can't play competitive matches. It's complete bullshit.

The game is awesome, I have played all gears of war except judgement (and from what I have heard I am not missing much) and this is definately either the best or tied with GoW3 but I can't find any games on pc =(

They'll be experimenting with crossplay in a special event sometime this month. Hopefully that leads to full on crossplay sooner rather than later :/
https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...er/879daab3-6933-468d-976a-29d130f7ace9/posts

Nice news hopefully they make crossplay standard on ranked.

There's a really good discussion going on over in the Gears of War forums about the personality of the game.

It's something I've thought about on and off.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...ss/eaf2cb3c-6c9b-495a-96b6-ede37575a70d/posts

The game feels a little too clean, it lacks the vulgarity of the previous titles and can seem a little bland as a result, in my opinion.

End of round quotes, regular swearing and a few other key things are missing. The franchise has always felt barbaric, but it doesn't feel like that here.

The original trilogy was imbued with Cliff's rebellious spirit.

Gears of War 4 has fixed lots of issues from Gears of War 3, but I'm not sure the MP has the same winning personality.

It also touches on why I think many people feel the maps just don't stack up.

Robot Pants

There's a really good discussion going on over in the Gears of War forums about the personality of the game.

It's something I've thought about on and off.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...ss/eaf2cb3c-6c9b-495a-96b6-ede37575a70d/posts

The game feels a little too clean, it lacks the vulgarity of the previous titles and can seem a little bland as a result, in my opinion.

End of round quotes, regular swearing and a few other key things are missing. The franchise has always felt barbaric, but it doesn't feel like that here.

The original trilogy was imbued with Cliff's rebellious spirit.

Gears of War 4 has fixed lots of issues from Gears of War 3, but I'm not sure the MP has the same winning personality.

It also touches on why I think many people feel the maps just don't stack up.
Honestly this game is almost exactly like 3 in just about every way. 3 was just as lifeless to me.
It needed to go back to the days of 1 where the power weapons on maps were actually worth fighting over, the characters had dialogue that was fun and got you goin after a headshot or a torque bow kill.
The multiplayer hasn't even been close to the same ever since the first in terms of personality.
But I don't understand liking 3 and complaining about 4. They are identical

Honestly this game is almost exactly like 3 in just about every way. 3 was just as lifeless to me.
It needed to go back to the days of 1 where the power weapons on maps were actually worth fighting over, the characters had dialogue that was fun and got you goin after a headshot or a torque bow kill.
The multiplayer hasn't even been close to the same ever since the first in terms of personality.
But I don't understand liking 3 and complaining about 4. They are identical

Strongly disagree about them being identical. There's a video in that thread showcasing all of Prescott's end of round quotes in Gears of War 3 which gave it a lot of personality.

Characters were much more vocal too (though nowhere near as much as Gears of War 2).

But I agree it's not been the same since the original.

Edit: The original cast was soo over the top, you had more to work with.

Robot Pants

Strongly disagree about them being identical. There's a video in that thread showcasing all of Prescott's end of round quotes in Gears of War 3 which gave it a lot of personality.

Characters were much more vocal too (though nowhere near as much as Gears of War 2).

But I agree it's not been the same since the original.

Edit: The original cast was soo over the top, you had more to work with.
Sorry it could be my memory is bad. 1 left an impression on me. 2 DEFINITELY left an impression on me and not in a good way. The WORST way possible.
3 to me was very forgettable so I probably don't remember all the fine details. I just remember it being dull and a lot like 4.

Sorry it could be my memory is bad. 1 left an impression on me. 2 DEFINITELY left an impression on me and not in a good way. The WORST way possible.
3 to me was very forgettable so I probably don't remember all the fine details. I just remember it being dull and a lot like 4.

I respect what you're saying even if I disagree.

Another thing I'd say is, while I think the Swarm are really fun to fight in the campaign, it's because of the non-infantry-style units, not the drones.

The Locust soldiers felt much more menacing to me. Hearing the therons wrecking shop or being killed was seriously cool. I don't think the new enemies have that X factor.

Robot Pants

I respect what you're saying even if I disagree.

Another thing I'd say is, while I think the Swarm are really fun to fight in the campaign, it's because of the non-infantry-style units, not the drones.

The Locust soldiers felt much more menacing to me. Hearing the therons wrecking shop or being killed was seriously cool. I don't think the new enemies have that X factor.
I agree with the swarm and locust thing definitely. Especially the Therons. There's some cool potential in this new Gears but they played it very very safe. Hopefully the next one they can let loose.
And fix the damn footsteps and grenade sounds.

gdt

Just finished the campaign. I thought it was great and was constantly trying to switch things up. Things like the chain room and dropping pods from the ceiling is cool stuff. And of course the ending level.

Still, I thought the actual end was abrupt as fuck. Felt zero accomplishment. How hard is it to give a proper denouement?

And again, fucking phenomenal PC version.

Top Bottom