• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

You're a fucking saint! I wanna buy you a drink so bad right now. I jut beat that boss on Solo Insane!

I restarted the Chapter and thought about you saying that you and your friend beat the Swarmak without popping all the blisters. Well, as soon as the fight started, all I did was shoot the Swarmak until it was dead. I didn't blow up any transformers, no other enemies spawned, and I just soaked up all the lancer ammo I needed from the endless ammo box.

Now, this is totally worth repeating:

All I did was shoot the Swarmak until it was dead.

That fight was easy mode!

How long and how many bullets did that take? That sounds ridiculous.

Here's the strategy I followed, from I post on the Gears forums. Worked out very well for me:

9) Tips for Bosses: Honestly most boss battles requires a bit of luck on your side! You can be doing everything right but die by a stupid Juvie towards the end of the battle, or get tunnel visioned by a juvie and die by not being aware that the boss was focusing on you. *Spoilers for this boss:* The Swarmak boss battle in the last chapter of Act 4 will require a specific strategy on Insane. First off dont destroy all 4 of the transformers and then pop the blisters on the swarmak. If you do this, it will literally be impossible to beat the swarmak because of the massive amount of drones and scions present. To top it off your checkpoint will be saved after destroying the last transformer and you will literally be forced to restart the entire chapter. So to beat the Swarmak: After you walk past the door which triggers the fight, run all the way to the far left transformer. Before you walk up the stairs, on the left of the stairs will be a boomshot. Pick it up and then run up the stairs next to you. Destroy the transformer and pop the blisters with the boomshot (every shot counts, dont miss, its crucial) while you stay on the platform. Completely cover the swarmak's body with transformer to avoid missiles. In the same platform, another boomshot will be present next to an ammo box. Grab it, pick up the ammo, and run to transformer closest to you or on your right after you pop first blisters. When you run up the platform, destroy the transformer, pop the blisters and above the platform will be another boomshot stuck on the sealing, shoot it off and pick it up. Move to the next transformer and repeat. The motion is sort of like counter-clockwise, start from far left, end at far right. Be wary that longshots and mark 1s can be found stuck against the sealing by snot, shoot it off, every bullet counts in order to popping those blisters. Also, dont tunnel vision or completely focus on the swarmak. You will get rushed by juvies and curious drones. And if scions or drones start walking up the stairs on the third platform, take cover next to the ammo bag by the stairs and blind fire at them. They should fall back, reasons why is unknown, but it worked for me. If they do rush you, usually Marcus follows you, and he should agro the drone while you shoot at the drone from a distance. And if Marcus gets downed, let him crawl to you, dont go after him. This whole stratedy should be done fast, dont take your time until you get to the 3rd transformer... But make sure every boomshot shell hits a blister. If you find yourself running out of ammo, safely run downstairs and look for any kind of rifle or torque bow. Sometimes a minigun can work, but you have to be lucky and not get shot by every single enemy in the arena, like what normally happens. Juvies, take them out, immediately.

kodecraft

There's a really good discussion going on over in the Gears of War forums about the personality of the game.

It's something I've thought about on and off.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...ss/eaf2cb3c-6c9b-495a-96b6-ede37575a70d/posts

The game feels a little too clean, it lacks the vulgarity of the previous titles and can seem a little bland as a result, in my opinion.

End of round quotes, regular swearing and a few other key things are missing. The franchise has always felt barbaric, but it doesn't feel like that here.

The original trilogy was imbued with Cliff's rebellious spirit.

Gears of War 4 has fixed lots of issues from Gears of War 3, but I'm not sure the MP has the same winning personality.

It also touches on why I think many people feel the maps just don't stack up.

Thanks for the link and I agree. Gears 4 didn't want to offend and went for a PG-13 success.

Iceman829

Complete wave 1 of horde and then everyone leaves. Search for a new game and now only 3 people in the lobby. Only 1 more day until call of duty is unlocked. It's more difficult to find a game of horde than it was to get a raid together in destiny. As much as I like horde I'm tired of playing solo. I've added players from a bunch of websites and everyone still quit the game (no longer play)

Gnasher is just a straight up roll of the dice. If the barrel of my gun is so close to someone that it's clipping into their character then it should be a one hit kill.

UncleMeat

So core modes seem to be pretty much ruined by quitters. I've mostly been playing social but wanted to play some koth and at least two players from the losing team would quit almost every match. Last match I was on the wrong side of a 2v5; back to social I guess.

m23

Awesome! Thanks for Gears Of War Judgement.

If anyone has a spare Gears of War 3 360 key, I'm still missing that game from the collection.

I have a code I can pass along, check pms in a bit.

Edit: I also have a code for 360 Gears 1, reply if interested.

Leyasu

Banned
Gnasher is still bad.

Developer Playlist feels like p2p. Servers are garbage.

Fucking hell. I ain't played the dev playlist, but you are spot on with the other 2.

Something is seriously fucked up since the update.. Apart from a couple of niggles, this was almost perfect, now it's shit.

Angel_DvA

Their first patch totally screwed the game, it's awful now, the sponge are way more frequent than before the update, matchmaking seems even slower, games are a lot laggier etc...

Terrible.

Their first patch totally screwed the game, it's awful now, the sponge are way more frequent than before the update, matchmaking seems even slower, games are a lot laggier etc...

Terrible.

Definitely noticed more lag last night. I was constantly running connection tests to see if it was me but the lowest I had was a 57 down and 15 up. If that's not fast enough for multiplayer then I'm not sure what to say. It would always lag at the worst times too, like right when action was ramping up.

My buddy has a great video of me firing the boomshot during a lag spike. On my screen I was aiming forward and then lag hit and I was suddenly aiming up in the sky when I shot it. On his video it just shows my character aiming forward and then a boomshot suddenly rocketing out of the side of my head into the sky. Great stuff, TC.

Angel_DvA

Definitely noticed more lag last night. I was constantly running connection tests to see if it was me but the lowest I had was a 57 down and 15 up. If that's not fast enough for multiplayer then I'm not sure what to say. It would always lag at the worst times too, like right when action was ramping up.

My buddy has a great video of me firing the boomshot during a lag spike. On my screen I was aiming forward and then lag hit and I was suddenly aiming up in the sky when I shot it. On his video it just shows my character aiming forward and then a boomshot suddenly rocketing out of the side of my head into the sky. Great stuff, TC.

Definitely a problem, they should do something about it and they need to put competitive settings as default, Core one is nothing but trash...

I keep trying to put my finger on why gears 4 feels so off and i think it comes down to the maps. Most of them seem designed for gnasher rushing and Idk maybe it's also the aesthetics as well.

Hope they fix horde soon at least.

Does anyone have clips of the gnasher being bad? I had 0 issues with the gnasher so far in this game, and never thought I lost a gunfight for any other reason than simply missing less shots.

Leyasu

Banned

Terrible.

It seems like TC have employed the person who was managing the server selection at 343 lol

Does anyone have clips of the gnasher being bad? I had 0 issues with the gnasher so far in this game, and never thought I lost a gunfight for any other reason than simply missing less shots.

Every time someone has shown a video, it's been clear it wasn't a clean hit. I have yet to see a video that has shown any bs.

Besides, if there is something that looks clearly wrong it's most likely lag anyway. Not much that can be done with that.

How long and how many bullets did that take? That sounds ridiculous.
10 minutes on the liberal side of things, < 20 conservatively speaking. I think I filled up on ammo 5 times and that was using the Lancer exclusively. I went with the Lancer, because it was easy to "spray and pray" with that boss
being such a huge walking target
. I'm certain any other weapon would work equally as well and maybe down the boss faster.

Here's the strategy I followed, from I post on the Gears forums. Worked out very well for me:
9) Tips for Bosses: Honestly most boss battles requires a bit of luck on your side! You can be doing everything right but die by a stupid Juvie towards the end of the battle, or get tunnel visioned by a juvie and die by not being aware that the boss was focusing on you. *Spoilers for this boss:* The Swarmak boss battle in the last chapter of Act 4 will require a specific strategy on Insane. First off dont destroy all 4 of the transformers and then pop the blisters on the swarmak. If you do this, it will literally be impossible to beat the swarmak because of the massive amount of drones and scions present. To top it off your checkpoint will be saved after destroying the last transformer and you will literally be forced to restart the entire chapter. So to beat the Swarmak: After you walk past the door which triggers the fight, run all the way to the far left transformer. Before you walk up the stairs, on the left of the stairs will be a boomshot. Pick it up and then run up the stairs next to you. Destroy the transformer and pop the blisters with the boomshot (every shot counts, dont miss, its crucial) while you stay on the platform. Completely cover the swarmak's body with transformer to avoid missiles. In the same platform, another boomshot will be present next to an ammo box. Grab it, pick up the ammo, and run to transformer closest to you or on your right after you pop first blisters. When you run up the platform, destroy the transformer, pop the blisters and above the platform will be another boomshot stuck on the sealing, shoot it off and pick it up. Move to the next transformer and repeat. The motion is sort of like counter-clockwise, start from far left, end at far right. Be wary that longshots and mark 1s can be found stuck against the sealing by snot, shoot it off, every bullet counts in order to popping those blisters. Also, dont tunnel vision or completely focus on the swarmak. You will get rushed by juvies and curious drones. And if scions or drones start walking up the stairs on the third platform, take cover next to the ammo bag by the stairs and blind fire at them. They should fall back, reasons why is unknown, but it worked for me. If they do rush you, usually Marcus follows you, and he should agro the drone while you shoot at the drone from a distance. And if Marcus gets downed, let him crawl to you, dont go after him. This whole stratedy should be done fast, dont take your time until you get to the 3rd transformer... But make sure every boomshot shell hits a blister. If you find yourself running out of ammo, safely run downstairs and look for any kind of rifle or torque bow. Sometimes a minigun can work, but you have to be lucky and not get shot by every single enemy in the arena, like what normally happens. Juvies, take them out, immediately.
Now, I'm not saying that's a bad strategy, but compared to the one that got my win, it's needlessly complicated. My strategy has 4 extremely straight-forward steps:

1. Kill all of the lesser enemies that start in the arena.
  2. Take cover behind the middle generator on the first floor (the one closest to the spawn).
  3. Shoot at the Swarmak from cover until it's defeated. It can't hit you with rockets, it doesn't spawn any more lesser enemies, and it will die eventually. :p
  4. Refill on ammo from the endless supply ammo box.

Just played some Escalation games last night. I am really liking that mode. Had some really epic fights over the hills and the increasing number of power weapons.

aBarreras

They may have toned down the language but the gore is hardly PG-13. The new characters just aren't as sweary as the old.

thats really curious since the latin american dub is MORE sweary than the previous games, like a fucking lot.

the part where jd says that "that must be the most dorkiest thing you said all day"

on latin they when with "Eso ha de ser lo mas PENDEJO que has dicho en todo el dia"

"pendejo" is a word you cant say on public television.

they could use "tonto", or "stupid" or "idiota" but nope, they went with "pendejo"

i mean dorkiest does not even translate to something stupid, or idiotic, just something silly!

it kinda throws me off too, because jd and kait are supposed to be a couple, and say something like that to your girlfriend is kinda a of dick move

10 minutes on the liberal side of things, < 20 conservatively speaking. I think I filled up on ammo 5 times and that was using the Lancer exclusively. I went with the Lancer, because it was easy to "spray and pray" with that boss
being such a huge walking target
. I'm certain any other weapon would work equally as well and maybe down the boss faster.

Now, I'm not saying that's a bad strategy, but compared to the one that got my win, it's needlessly complicated. My strategy has 4 extremely straight-forward steps:

1. Kill all of the lesser enemies that start in the arena.
  2. Take cover behind the middle generator on the first floor (the one closest to the spawn).
  3. Shoot at the Swarmak from cover until it's defeated. It can't hit you with rockets, it doesn't spawn any more lesser enemies, and it will die eventually. :p
  4. Refill on ammo from the endless supply ammo box.
Well I don't think the other strategy is unnecessarily complicated, but I can see how it might seem so when the alternative is continuous Lancer fire for 10-20 minutes. :p

Leyasu

Banned
Every time someone has shown a video, it's been clear it wasn't a clean hit. I have yet to see a video that has shown any bs.

Besides, if there is something that looks clearly wrong it's most likely lag anyway. Not much that can be done with that.

I shot someone who I had downed last week and I got a blood splash but it didn't remove a cartridge from my clip

aBarreras

so they way of fixing spawn points is to break them even more?!

i have been killed more than once, from enemys respawning behind me, 10 seconds after i respawned there.

maaaaaaaaaaan what the fuck

Leyasu

Banned
so they way of fixing spawn points is to break them even more?!

i have been killed more than once, from enemys respawning behind me, 10 seconds after i respawned there.

maaaaaaaaaaan what the fuck

I hate that fucking bullshit. That should never happen, but it does, and it's happens far too often

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So I was playing tonight and my daughter pointed out that my character was naked. Is this a known issue?

I took pics but don't know the best way to post them. For those wondering the horde do not have penis's.

There's a swarm character with no clothes. It's a freshly hatched swarm.

UncleMeat

Does this count? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Xd7p2Mbso

14947618_10103907842883502_6247051835898089441_n.jpg

Could be lag I guess but I thought it was BS. Also if you look at that pick my ammo doesn't go down after that second shot.

njean777

Yeah the Gnasher can be a little wonky at times, but it wouldn't be a gears game without the gnasher being wonky at times

Top Bottom