• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

UncleMeat

This shit has been happening since day 1. Pretty annoying and really sours the mood for the rest of the match

This and the freaking lack of footsteps audio is fn annoying. See below. Dude ran up on me and there was not one peep from his humongous feet. Trained by ninjas apparently in the future.

http://xboxclips.com/v0rt3x/ff8aec93-ddf5-46c1-8b6a-180a30233749

haha, yep! This is why I haven't made a robot with scrap; I'm not going to put myself at a disadvantage by using the only character with proper foot noise.

blakep267

Finally got around to beating the campaign. It was ok. Bit of a slog.

- The highlights were the motorcycle section and the cable escape section.

- Marcus was the only character I really liked. Kait was a bit to whiny. JD was a wooden log. And Del was a little too much of the stereotypical wise cracking black sidekick

- I'm not even a huge puzzle guy, but they could've taken a lesson from the newest tomb raiders and added a few puzzles here and there to break up the fighting. Not platforming per se, but environmental stuff etc

- there was just way too many gunfights. It only took me 8 hours to beat it but it felt like an eternity.

- not a fan of the horde mode stuff in the campaign. It reminded me of the Subset overdrive forces base stuff. Horde is only interesting imo with other players/ friends. Not alone

Overall it just wasn't as fun to play as the past gears campaigns.

The Flash

Banned
Celebrating 10 Years of Gears of War

First seen in the Outsider community during the Gears of War 4 campaign, Gary Carmine is here and ready for action – if he can stay alive. Death runs strong in the Carmine family, and our Tenth Anniversary Gear Pack teaser pays tribute to the family tradition as Gary Carmine takes to the Versus battlefield. It’ll be down to you to save Carmine when you play as him this November!

Gary Carmine is part of a special Tenth Anniversary Gear Pack built for our fans. This special pack contains Gary Carmine, a trio of weapons themed to the previous Carmine brothers, commemorative anniversary weapons and emblems to collect as you play.

Obtainable exclusively through gameplay, each 200 Credit pack contains one 10 Years of Gears customization item, one 10 Years of Gears Emblem or bounty, and a random card from the Gears of War 4 Launch Series of Cards. The full list of content can be found below:

Characters

Gary Carmine Character

Carmine Family Weapon Skins

Anthony Carmine Longshot

Benjamin Carmine Gnasher

Clayton Carmine Lancer

10 Years of Gears Commemorative Weapon Set

10 Years of Gears Lancer

10 Years of Gears Hammerburst

10 Years of Gears Retro Lancer

10 Years of Gears Markza Mk. 1

10 Years of Gears Enforcer

Emblems

Gary Carmine Emblem

10 Years of Gears Emblem

Bounties

Welcome Back To The Army - Get 5 kills with a Hammerburst as Marcus (Versus)
Security System Activated - Get 100 kills as an Engineer (Horde)
That's From Dom - Get a knife execution as Marcus (Versus)
This isn't a gun, it's a comrade - Get 5 kills with a Markza Mk. (Versus)
Broadcast THIS! - Get 10 executions (Horde)
The Tenth Anniversary Gear Pack arrives in game on November 7th for 200 Credits.

Leyasu

Banned
So I finally got around to playing some horde today... I said god damn!! Apart from the quitters.

I played as an engineer mostly, and once we got into the 20's I was mostly running around repairing and refilling turrets and sentries.

I was wondering if two scouts is not the best way to maximize credits.. Horde playing mic wearers feel free to add me.

Van Winkel x

vort3x

haha, yep! This is why I haven't made a robot with scrap; I'm not going to put myself at a disadvantage by using the only character with proper foot noise.

Same here!! I can seriously hear the robot across map, no lie. Even his speech can be heard across map. The sound in this game is so messed up.

I play on 5.1, and I kid you not when you're hiding in the big spawn shed on the map Reclaimed, if there are people by the sniper/embar spawn on the bottom the sound effect for those people is blasted through the rear right speaker and it sounds like they're behind you. This is so wrong. The sound effect should come through the front right speaker but its coming from the rear. The sound programming in this game is just so off. Reverb is way too high, turn that shit down.

I recently had a chance to try out BF1 and man the sound in that game is godly. Everything is where it should be. Even on stereo headphones it sounded beautiful where as Gears 4 is just a big jumble of sounds with no depth and way too much reverb.

gfxtwin

Gameplay is fantastic, as expected, especially once you start fighting monsters again instead of robots. Story is better than I thought so far, but I still miss the Gears 1 style dudebro guys and their camaraderie and absurd machoness. It's like the direction for the GOW4 voice actors and dialogue writers began and ended with "You know the Uncharted series? Do that." JD even sounds exactly like Nolan North. I do like how Marcus has gotten even more gruff and angry with age somehow, and the general dynamic between his and the older Gears' personalities and the younger Gears' is fun.

Ballistik

Being sneaky at the beginning of a Guardian match on Gridlock...
FqRFfd1.gif

Caayn

Any info on improvements on the credit payout?

Just played 3 full matches and got a whopping total of 172 credits (57+43+72). It's going to take ages to get one pack, let alone the pack that actually contains cosmetics.

That quad kill is really nice.
I played such a poor game yesterday, that I finished the 2 round game of TDM with ZERO points. It was on gridlock too. The last few days I have been trying to work on wall bouncing and general mobility. My plan is to work on my aim next.

Montresor

I finished the campaign earlier today. That was excellent. Campaign pretty much had everything going for it. The game play, set pieces, and graphics were just incredible. Loved the characters too. JD and Kait were great. The late game characters, as they rolled in, were fantastic. This is a Gears game through and through. From the fan-service intro, to Marcus, to the Swarm/Locus.

My top five for 2016... now updated:

1) Forza Horizon 3
2) Inside
3) The Witness
4) Quantum Break
5) Gears of War 4

Great year so far!

Theorry

Any info on improvements on the credit payout?

Just played 3 full matches and got a whopping total of 172 credits (57+43+72). It's going to take ages to get one pack, let alone the pack that actually contains cosmetics.

Think the patch is not live yet. Not sure when. They said later today. But its 6pm also already in Vancouver.

Allforce

Am I crazy or did they remove the Co-Op game modes? All I have now (and I haven't played in about a week) is

Campaign
Versus
Horde
Customization
War Journal
Store
Credits

There used to be a Competitive mode and a Co-Op where you could just take on bots. Was that just temporary?

edit: Durr it's in a sub-menu now under Match Making. I feel like they changed the menus around when I wasn't looking...

The update is out. Pretty significant stuff in terms of the economy and bounties.

Also bought 15 versus boosters now that they changed them, got an epic and a legendary in my first two packs. Not bad.

Edit: I think they might have drastically changed the loot tables too. In 15 pack I got more epics than emblems.

Rare bounties saw a big change. Before they gave 10/15 credits, now they give 100/150. They're actually worth keeping and finishing now as opposed to before when they were worth more as scrap.

Rare bounties saw a big change. Before they gave 10/15 credits, now they give 100/150. They're actually worth keeping and finishing now as opposed to before when they were worth more as scrap.
The eSPORT Escalation ones especially. They went from 50cr to 150cr. I hadnt used them. Glad i didnt. With the new update, that would be around 300cr for a win. SCHWEET!

EDIT: Dont forget to save your credits for the 7th, guys. I got 4,100 cr saved up now. Going hamburger on those 200cr 10year packs on monday!

Got 120 credits for one game of Arms Race. It went all 3 rounds and we won.

Wouldn't mind it being bumped up a tiny bit more but honestly I can't complain too much. It's certainly a far cry from the 20 we were getting at launch.

malfcn

They still tweaking pay outs? I had a few match with nothing special and got 96 etc. Then they dropped to 60s.

Is a little sad how bad the early adopters got it.

watdaeff4

Finished the campaign earlier today.

Easily my favorite Gears campaign. One Act (ESP one chapter) dragged a bit IMO but the rest was very paced and the refined the gameplay well.

The part where the swarm was able to override Jinn's bot sets it up in the sequels how we will be fighting two different types of enemies as well as the storyline progression of the Swarm taking over the DeeBees

They lowered the requirements of a couple of the annoying bounties too.

Knife Executions is now 1/2.
Headshots is now 3/5.

Although for whatever reason executions stayed at 5/10. I guess those will have to be done in co-op.

Anyone else not having their xp bar progress and credits show at end of matches?
Along with an info taking longer than expected message

So as someone who has really gone sour on previous Gears campaigns, I actually really liked this one BUT the whole "crawling away to not die" shit that only goes away on insane is ridiculous. The game has so little challenge unless you wanna play on Insane, at which point it's ball crushingly hard. But hey finally a regen health shooter that uses a decent variety of enemies who do interesting things. Average grunt is still too bullet spongey for my tastes though.

Gotta say, I really like how there's spawn protection, but every map is set up to have a 2797p972359273597239 ft long narrow corridor out of the spawn so by the time your spawn protection runs out you're coming out of the bottleneck and right into fire. Seems kind of pointless.

Oh and those sweet lag spikes always hit me at the perfect time.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mullet Parade/video/23179095

Is this a server issue or something? I saw people complaining about it before and thought it might get fixed in the TU. Apparently not.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So as someone who has really gone sour on previous Gears campaigns, I actually really liked this one BUT the whole "crawling away to not die" shit that only goes away on insane is ridiculous. The game has so little challenge unless you wanna play on Insane, at which point it's ball crushingly hard. But hey finally a regen health shooter that uses a decent variety of enemies who do interesting things. Average grunt is still too bullet spongey for my tastes though.

I'm playing on Hardcore and I can't stand this mechanic. I feel like it devalues certain combat encounters because your teammates will revive you constantly.

Top Bottom