• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Thank you. It feels like the nerf hammer came down really hard on it. I might just stick to the Lancer now.

I still use the HB because I like peppering people with controlled shots from medium to far distance. If I get closer then I'm full-on gnasher. If you're medium-close and still want to use a rifle then I think Lancer is better.

Are you joining a match in progress and have you picked your character for the right game mode? You can have different ones for Horde and Vs.
I'm playing competitive ranked matches. I don't play social matches. You can have different characters for different game modes like TDM and Dodgeball? I know you have a character for Horde mode.

Xater

I still use the HB because I like peppering people with controlled shots from medium to far distance. If I get closer then I'm full-on gnasher. If you're medium-close and still want to use a rifle then I think Lancer is better.

I'll experiment a little depending on the map I guess. I mean it's right that they balanced it, but that OP Hammerburst did feel nice. :p

aBarreras

so im almost through the campaign on solo hardcore and i have one burning question. why dont the gears boys and girls wear helmets. so much emphasis on the chest armour etc but they leave their massive heads unarmoured for headshots.

Edit: also how long did it take everyone to finish the campaign. Stats on the game tell me exactly 10 hours on hardcore.Thats including using a guide to grab all the collectibles. Seems like a good length.

the helmet didnt make Anthony any favors, as pointed by Dom on Gears 2.

to put it simply, at least Dom and Marcus, dont like to have their vision reduced.

Why is the Boomshot so damn weak now? Especially when the Dropshot is better than it in every way possible?

The splash damage on the Boom is basically non-existant. I remember in Gears 1 it was basically the holy grail to the point that you'd sacrifice yourself in front of a hail of gunfire just so a teammate could get it, and that was obviously with no respawns. Now I'm usually waiting for someone to show up and contest me for Boom on maps like Gridlock and half the time I can just walk right in and grab it. Nobody's scared of it anymore, and for good reason. It's kind of a crappy weapon.

Great example of the lame splash damage. Obviously not a direct shot by any means but I didn't think I needed to. Am I wrong in thinking this guy should've been pasted all over the map from this shot? It's stupid that you'd have to bullseye someone just to get a kill with this thing.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mullet Parade/video/23389045

pizzacat

Banned
so i went like 22 and 8 in dodgeball and still lost

55 coins

i went 6 and 2 next match and we won

60 coins

You're still not getting the point of the points coalition

J_Viper

Horde is nearly unplayable without Join-in-Progress. Everyone always leaves after Wave 10.

TC, what the hell are you guys doing?

J_Viper

55 coins

60 coins

Gears 4 really has the worst implementation of currency/lootbox rewards to date. It really needs more attention

The way bounties are designed, they further encourage that to happen.

They do, and it's insane.

I've never seen a developer actively try to push people away from their game.

aBarreras

55 coins

60 coins

yeah, they give you jackshit for your performance, even worse, the only mode that gives you a good amount of credits is KOTH where you can get around 150 per match.

thats a lot considering that completing the first 10 waves gives you around the same. but it takes a lot more of time

Kssio_Aug

I'm thinking about buying it right now. But I have a question: without buying any DLC or Season Pass, will the multiplayer last long for me? Or I will need to buy something else if I do not want to be locked out the most played online content?

I want it specially for SP and horde mode!

Theorry

I'm thinking about buying it right now. But I have a question: without buying any DLC or Season Pass, will the multiplayer last long for me? Or I will need to buy something else if I do not want to be locked out the most played online content?

I want it specially for SP and horde mode!

You dont get extra maps with the season pass. They are all free. But maps are on a rotation. Every month we get 2 new maps and other maps go out. With the season pass you can still play those maps in private even when they are not in rotation.

Kssio_Aug

You dont get extra maps with the season pass. They are all free. But maps are on a rotation. Every month we get 2 new maps and other maps go out. With the season pass you can still play those maps in private even when they are not in rotation.

The same rules applies to horde mode?
And how many maps are there? (for both horde and other modes, but specially horde, if that's an easy question to answer)

Theorry

The same rules applies to horde mode?
And how many maps are there? (for both horde and other modes, but specially horde, if that's an easy question to answer)

Yeah on every map Horde is also. Also the new maps.
10 maps in the base game and 2 just released. So 12 now.
Overall we get 24 maps over a year. But like i said they have a rotation of maps who are playable in a month. Believe the sweet spot they wanted was arround 16 maps in rotation.

Kssio_Aug

Yeah on every map Horde is also. Also the new maps.
10 maps in the base game and 2 just released. So 12 now.
Overall we get 24 maps over a year. But like i said they have a rotation of maps who are playable in a month. Believe the sweet spot they wanted was arround 16 maps in rotation.

Okay, thanks! =)
For me, that plays online casually (some nights yes, some not), I think 2 maps in rotation may not be so bad!

However, it lead me to another question. When you said 2 maps rotation, it is always 2 maps for horde mode, and 2 maps for traditional competitive modes, right? I mean, there's no way I'll be locked out of horde mode for a month?

Xater

Okay, thanks! =)
For me, that plays online casually (some nights yes, some not), I think 2 maps in rotation may not be so bad!

However, it lead me to another question. When you said 2 maps rotation, it is always 2 maps for horde mode, and 2 maps for traditional competitive modes, right? I mean, there's no way I'll be locked out of horde mode for a month?

You misunderstood him. It's two additional maps. There are now 12 maps in the rotation. It's the same for Horde and versus.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Yeah it's unplayable for me unless I close it and restart after booting up my Xbox. Sucks because it takes a while for the game to load.

This carmine stuff has been a blessing in disguise. Instead of taking a chance at a 1000 credit pack I can just keep buying 200 credit packs and breaking down stuff for scrap. I have like 500 scrap now. Almost at a new character

Yep. Still no Gary but I just unlocked Baird. I still think 600 scrap is too high though.

SlickVic

In Act 4 currently, and not really sure what to do about enemy grenades, besides hoping one doesn't land near me. When they start beeping near you it feels there isn't enough time to get away (but maybe my reflexes are just too dull). Being proactive about trying to kill the locust before they throw one (or at the very least shoot them enough throw off their aim) doesn't always work when there are 5-10 of them shooting at your group at the same time so it's pretty easy to miss them being thrown (and if you're busy shooting it's pretty easy to not notice one getting tossed right next you). The only reason it hasn't become a huge issue is after I die a few times to grenades, I'm usually able to 'luck out' eventually and not have one go off near me. But admittedly, that doesn't feel like much of a strategy.

I'm not sure a grenade indicator is essential, but Gears 4 definitely is making me appreciate their presence in other games.

I cant wait for this event to be over. This big head thing is funny for about an hour, then it just ruins the looks of the characters. I have enough Scrap now to unlock a cool new skin, but when everyone looks the same, whats the point?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Mullet Parade/video/23418385

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

First time I think I've ever been killed by a guy I downed.

Novocaine

Gave social quick play a go. Started raging pretty easily. I remember why I don't play competitive MP any more. Best sticking to Horde and vs. AI.

The credit rewards from quick play are really good though...

HiiiLife

OSOK is the most fun I've had in this series.

Still can't stand the map rotation tho.

Once a map gets played it should be excluded from the next match. Tired of playing back to back to back Dry Dock.

jadedm17

Is it impossible to keep a full team in King of the Hill or is that me?
Half the games I play someone quits at the start.
Half of those remaining games someone is gone before round one.

I'm genuinely surprised when I get to play a full game, and that's not getting into how rare a decent fair team balanced game seems to be. (Why do so many people spend their time on the other damn side of the map for power weapons? Your boomshot kills just made them spawn closer to the hill and you're still nowhere near it!)

OSOK is the most fun I've had in this series.

Still can't stand the map rotation tho.

Once a map gets played it should be excluded from the next match. Tired of playing back to back to back Dry Dock.

Played Impact 4 of the 6 King of the Hill games I played last night... Really?

Or the endless Gridlock loop.

Who still wants to play Gridlock after a decade? SMH

Xater

Just want to say that the general Gears community is terrible. I now got messages from people being salty or from people that felt the need to tell me I suck when I had a bad game. I don't even engage, I just report them, but it's still annoying. Is it possible to block people from messaging you when they are not on your friend list? I might do that even if that means I miss out on some good interaction.

Just want to say that the general Gears community is terrible. I now got messages from people being salty or from people that felt the need to tell me I suck when I had a bad game. I don't even engage, I just report them, but it's still annoying. Is it possible to block people from messaging you when they are not on your friend list? I might do that even if that means I miss out on some good interaction.

Good question.

I'll grab a screenshot when I get a chance but as of last night I now have hate messages for using every starting weapon in the game except for the Snub. I'm not sure what I'm allowed to use anymore...

SlickVic

Oh man, the AI is so embarrassingly bad at times in the campaign. I'm
on the horde mode chapter 5-2
and got it down to the final pouncer of the wave. I get "taken" and the AI makes absolutely no effort to shoot at the pouncer to free me. I have no clue what they're even doing since I'm pretty sure the rest of the enemies in the wave have been cleared. It's just frustrating to get to the end of the wave and lose like that.

SlickVic

Just finished up the campaign. Man 5-3 is so good.
Jack Jr is just so much fun to play
. Final boss was a bit different from what I expected
went away from cover shooting and maneuvering around enemies the series is known for to what is essentially a head-to-head monster battle
. Overall I did enjoy it, though
the boss battle felt a bit like Gears 2 in that you weren't fighting any particularly important enemy, just a very big one. But whereas Gears 2 ended with us knowing we still had to take down the Queen, Gears 4 end does leave us scratching our head who the 'big bad' of this new story will be, if any one (the necklace though does provide some potential hints).

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/3...tions/7783044-block-messages-from-non-friends

Azzawon

Does anyone know when the 10th Anniversary packs end? Still haven't gotten Gary from any of my packs, this is getting ridiculous now.

jesu

I don't play that much but an hour online tonight against bots and I got two Gary Carmines
I'm happy with that!
And I've got 370 scrap to save for a character.

There should always be 200 packs available imo.

Top Bottom