• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Wow, I usually last 4-6 solid months before I start getting tired of a Gears game but I think I'm already going to call it quits for a while on this one. After the update it just feels too random, even for a Gears game.

Novocaine

Yess! Got the Hammerburst skin. I was getting close to my limit too. It's a great game but I clocked a good 20 hours over the 3 day weekend just trying to get all of the skins.

After opening about 45 10th anni packs I finally got it!

1020e2caec04f7cf336dbccaafbe4fcf.png

I couldnt have done it without you <3

3DShovel

Wow, I usually last 4-6 solid months before I start getting tired of a Gears game but I think I'm already going to call it quits for a while on this one. After the update it just feels too random, even for a Gears game.

Yep... The Coalition has done a pretty piss poor job at making things balanced, but more importantly, the game just isn't fun. Add in randomness, and you have a pretty poor experience.

I can't believe how much easier it is to level up your horde skills buying versus booster packs rather then the horde packs. I get either a legendary or an epic skin almost every pack and I just keep scraping them. I was able to max out all my heavy skills and all but one scout skill yesterday.

J_Viper

Okay this is like the hundredth time I've complained about this, but I've had two Horde matches in a row where the entire team up and fucking leaves even before the tenth wave.

I'm still just stunned at how they completely forgot to add a join-in-progress mechanic. In 2016.

How do you fuck that up?

This is mechanically one of the best TPSs I've ever played, but if the population dies out, TC and Microsoft only have themselves to blame with these idiotic decisions.

kingwingin

Okay this is like the hundredth time I've complained about this, but I've had two Horde matches in a row where the entire team up and fucking leaves even before the tenth wave.

I'm still just stunned at how they completely forgot to add a join-in-progress mechanic. In 2016.

How do you fuck that up?

This is mechanically one of the best TPSs I've ever played, but if the population dies out, TC and Microsoft only have themselves to blame with these idiotic decisions.
yeah this is why i refuse to play horde with randoms. Ive just been going on lfg sites and finding groupes with mics.

If anyone here ever needs an extra for horde just add me, kingwingin

HiiiLife

Sucks y'all aren't having fun. I'd honestly place this right below 3 (3 is my fav).

Also keep in mind I haven't invested time into multiplayer until part 3.

Leyasu

Banned

This is the first gears where the versus was enjoyable.. Well until the first update. It just pushed me to horde and now I'm addicted. Horde on this is on another level.

Vico

It's taking a realllllly long time finding players on some gametypes. Do we know how many pleayers are still playing?

Somehow I got invited by very nice people yesterday in a Horde session/Xbox live party. We were half PC/half console, and we decided to do 50 waves on insane. I got my sniper from level 3 to level 6, earned 3k credits, leveled up like 9 levels AND got a rare achievement for doing 50 waves on insane using the sniper class.

It was more of a meta-farming run using turret+spikes+decoy stacking; the core members are obviously engineer, scout and heavy with turret damage bonus. I definitely don't want to see every lobby do meta-runs, but I am concerned about the overall competency of random people who don't know shit about team composition and classes.

It was nice finding such great people to team up with; reminded me of the good ol' days of farming in Warframe.

ryan13ts

Anyone having trouble with the online co-op? I tried to do public match quite a few times but it keeps taking me to the menu saying "Could not connect to server, check your connection".

Everything in Versus works fine and nothing is up with my internet so I'm guessing server problems?

3DShovel

This is the first gears where the versus was enjoyable.. Well until the first update. It just pushed me to horde and now I'm addicted. Horde on this is on another level.

Gears 3 was enjoyable from the beta onwards. The Sawed-Off/Retro complaints don't even inch toward how shitty the sandbox is here.

Also, got my first game on Dry Dock today. The map looks like they threw up a bunch of clutter onto the map. It's visually obtuse and the map is a severe downgrade to what it was in Gears 3.

This game is such a disappointment.

After opening about 45 10th anni packs I finally got it!

1020e2caec04f7cf336dbccaafbe4fcf.png
I was going to try for that, but I decided I'm probably always going to stick with my orange and pink bubbles Lancers anyway.
Gears 3 was enjoyable from the beta onwards. The Sawed-Off/Retro complaints don't even inch toward how shitty the sandbox is here.

Also, got my first game on Dry Dock today. The map looks like they threw up a bunch of clutter onto the map. It's visually obtuse and the map is a severe downgrade to what it was in Gears 3.

This game is such a disappointment.
What don't you like about the sandbox?

3DShovel

I was going to try for that, but I decided I'm probably always going to stick with my orange and pink bubbles Lancers anyway.

What don't you like about the sandbox?

It's entirely inconsistent. Sometimes Gnasher will kill from 10 feet away, other times it'll do 50% damage with your shotgun in their asshole.

Sometimes the Dropshot drops instantly, sometimes it doesn't. (It's not based off of active, either).

Lancer can down someone in 7 bullets with active. You cannot fight that.

Flame grenades are overly inconsistent. Sometimes you'll smash one right at someone's feet and they won't die. Other times you'll die from 5 feet away.

Sometimes you'll hear a frag hit the ground, other times you won't. Sometimes the frag will blow up after 3 beeps -- sometimes 4 -- sometimes it'll blow up before you hear any beeps at all.

This might just all come down to terrible net code, but I find it laughable that their focus was on the "eSports" crowd, but yet they shat the bed entirely on the net code to the point where the game feels like Destiny and raid drops.

It's why games like Halo are infinitely more successful with the competitive crowd. There is never an instance where 4 shots to the head with a BR will not kill someone. It's consistent, and happens every single time. Same thing with the pistol -- 5 headshots = kill. Every. Single. Time. There is no deviation.

But here you can walk up to someone, shove your shotgun into their character model, fire, and nope, "50% damage with 1 hit". Or, (and this is the worst), you can mantle kick someone, shoot them POINT BLANK when they are supposed to be defenceless, have them survive the bullet that should've EASILY killed them, only to have them live. And then you shoot again, hit -- still not dead. And then the fucking guy kills you from 10 feet away and you do what GoldGlove does and throw your controller at the ground because what's up with that?

Every time I play this game I feel like I'm wasting my time. It's not fun. It's frantic, sure. But it's just not fun.

It's entirely inconsistent. Sometimes Gnasher will kill from 10 feet away, other times it'll do 50% damage with your shotgun in their asshole.

Sometimes the Dropshot drops instantly, sometimes it doesn't. (It's not based off of active, either).

Lancer can down someone in 7 bullets with active. You cannot fight that.

Flame grenades are overly inconsistent. Sometimes you'll smash one right at someone's feet and they won't die. Other times you'll die from 5 feet away.

Sometimes you'll hear a frag hit the ground, other times you won't. Sometimes the frag will blow up after 3 beeps -- sometimes 4 -- sometimes it'll blow up before you hear any beeps at all.

This might just all come down to terrible net code, but I find it laughable that their focus was on the "eSports" crowd, but yet they shat the bed entirely on the net code to the point where the game feels like Destiny and raid drops.
I don't have these experiences at all. It's not often where I feel like Gears cheats my out of deaths. Perhaps occasionally with frags, but the blast radius is massive in Gears 4, and the quick explosion times can be chalked up to placement of the nade, like banking it off the bottom of a wall so it explodes faster than letting it bounce around.

Even the Gnasher where sometimes I feel like I have the barrel point blank on an enemy, even getting 100% damage done but they're alive and I'm not, it doesn't happen too often imo. Maybe I'm just lucky and/or fortunate enough to have decent connections to the servers.
It's why games like Halo are infinitely more successful with the competitive crowd. There is never an instance where 4 shots to the head with a BR will not kill someone. It's consistent, and happens every single time. Same thing with the pistol -- 5 headshots = kill. Every. Single. Time. There is no deviation.
To be fair, people have complained about this very thing in Halo, how it looks like you should be landing headshots with the Pistol, but they don't register. From my experience though, I don't feel like it's any different from Gears; they're both consistent. I do see lots of complaints about networking/latency though, so I sympathize with people going through those issues.
But here you can walk up to someone, shove your shotgun into their character model, fire, and nope, "50% damage with 1 hit". Or, (and this is the worst), you can mantle kick someone, shoot them POINT BLANK when they are supposed to be defenceless, have them survive the bullet that should've EASILY killed them, only to have them live. And then you shoot again, hit -- still not dead. And then the fucking guy kills you from 10 feet away and you do what GoldGlove does and throw your controller at the ground because what's up with that?

Every time I play this game I feel like I'm wasting my time. It's not fun. It's frantic, sure. But it's just not fun.
Yeah that sucks.. Sounds like lag ;[ One thing I do find frustrating though is how sometimes I go to vault over cover, but it doesn't work properly. Sometimes it starts the animation, like they're going to jump over cover, but they stop and just stand there lol. Doing the vault next to teammates can block you, so I try to space it out now.

Despite some of these issues, I love the crap out of Gears 4 and find the gameplay to feel tight, responsive, and explosive. 60fps Gears is a thing of beauty.

You are the luckiest person to play this game then. Hang on to it for as long as you can if this stuff doesn't happen to you every single time you play.
Yeah maybe lol. I've seen the videos and experienced the issues of blank shots/Gnasher inconsistencies, getting 100% damage on an enemy but they only get downed as you die, etc., but thankfully I don't experience them that often. I watch a lot of Gears on Twitch and rarely see the issues, so I wonder how much of this is people blaming the game over the possibility of them not being as accurate as they thought. I think the issues people are seeing might be connection-related more than anything else, like how Halo 5 was unplayable for people from Australia, UK, or anywhere outside of the US on GAF.

Awesome. Just played a game of Guardian where a teammate quits out after we lose 1 round. The rest of the game we got spawn trapped as they continuously killed us over and over to increase their k/d. How fun, I love this game!

Azzawon

since the update ive opened, at minimum, 10 crates a day. no gary yet. id trade in all my duplicates for him.

It is such shit. I hope we get another opportunity to get him at some point, hopefully with a bit less RNG involved.
Please don't make him a paid character though, TC.

mernst23

Anyone want to help me out and do horde casual on lift, it's the last map I have to do and I'm having a nightmare of a time finishing it public because everyone quits. I was so desperate last night that when everyone quit by wave 36 I finished to 50 on my own and it didn't count towards completion because I was on my own.

I have a level 5 engineer and scout so either way it should be cake as long as I have at least 2 people with me. Otherwise I'm down to play horde almost whenever I'm online. Gt is rockgotham

First time playing in like a week, sitting here in a 4v2 KotH match.

This game is ass.

Edit: Can't even find a game within 5 minutes now. Gears is dead isn't it?

Iceman829

I stumbled my way into a random group of people that actually knew how to play horde last night. Made it all the way to 50 and bought another 7 crates which puts me somewhere in the 37-38 range to finally get the last skin I needed (10th anniversary Hammerburst). I think I picked up about 3 Carmine skins along the way. The RNG system on those crates were just horrible. I probably had about 18 enforcer skins at the end of the day

I think I got carmine on my 6th pack. I like to think it was a thank you for buying that esports pack when it first dropped the. Shitting on my chest by giving me nothing.

Also it's been a few weeks since I played and I noticed the hammerburst is literal garbage now, what the fuck were they thinking? Make it shoot faster or have the clip be 3 bullets longer at least.

And last but not least what the hell is with this game and rage quitters? Is there no penalty at all for those that do it? I matchmake koth and 79% of the time someone quits after dying a few times. TAKE YOUR L!

vort3x

I think I got carmine on my 6th pack. I like to think it was a thank you for buying that esports pack when it first dropped the. Shitting on my chest by giving me nothing.

Also it's been a few weeks since I played and I noticed the hammerburst is literal garbage now, what the fuck were they thinking? Make it shoot faster or have the clip be 3 bullets longer at least.

And last but not least what the hell is with this game and rage quitters? Is there no penalty at all for those that do it? I matchmake koth and 79% of the time someone quits after dying a few times. TAKE YOUR L!

Hammerburst is officially useless. I've stopped using it and moved on to the lancer. The damage + rate of fire is way better especially for suppressing fire. Especially active. If you're using the hammer burst do yourself a favor and drop it. It really is now worthless. It now takes 2 bursts to kill a downed enemy. Yeah ok Coalition, good job with the balancing. The hammerburst was fine before, they just needed to nerf the active not the whole gun.

Also there really is no penalty for quitting, you might get dropped in rank but thats about it. 99% of the people don't care about the rank. From the last update post Coalition wasn't sure what the punishment should be for quitting. they were trying to decide between multiple things. Again things that should have been working in the game day 1.

I just want them to fix the god damn footsteps. 90% of my deaths are because I don't hear someone behind me on my surround sound unless it's a DEEBEE. I can hear those fuckers across map.

vort3x

I dropped the hammerburst for the enforcer once they nuked the HB. I am really worried what I will use once they kill the enforcer.

The range on the enforcer is ridiculous lol. I might have to switch to that and see how it goes before they nerf it cause it is really strong.

Thanks for purchasing Gears of War 4. Here are your codes for Gears of War and Gears of War 2 (ESRB Rating: Mature with blood and gore, intense violence, strong language) 23CWX-WXCV3-QW99D-XYR4H-YRPXZ, GT3TR-JRHRR-DJXPV-3373X-RJWKZ

Thanks for purchasing Gears of War 4. Here are your codes for Gears of War 3 and Gears of War: Judgment (ESRB Rating: Mature with blood and gore, intense violence, strong language) 7VG2J-FTHCJ-4DFRQ-27JFQ-FVD9Z, HX4VM-6QV62-3KMR6-9YR3T-4F2CZ

Enjoy

duppolo

Thanks for purchasing Gears of War 4. Here are your codes for Gears of War and Gears of War 2 (ESRB Rating: Mature with blood and gore, intense violence, strong language) 23CWX-WXCV3-QW99D-XYR4H-YRPXZ, GT3TR-JRHRR-DJXPV-3373X-RJWKZ

Thanks for purchasing Gears of War 4. Here are your codes for Gears of War 3 and Gears of War: Judgment (ESRB Rating: Mature with blood and gore, intense violence, strong language) 7VG2J-FTHCJ-4DFRQ-27JFQ-FVD9Z, HX4VM-6QV62-3KMR6-9YR3T-4F2CZ

Enjoy

Thank you! i take them and you make my month!
wait...arent they usable on pc? if not i pick them but i cant play them, im sorry! i hope they are for windows but i cant figured out how to download them

m23

Thank you! i take them and you make my month!
wait...arent they usable on pc? if not i pick them but i cant play them, im sorry! i hope they are for windows but i cant figured out how to download them

Those codes are for the Xbox 360 games which are backwards compatible on xbone.

Hammerburst is officially useless. I've stopped using it and moved on to the lancer. The damage + rate of fire is way better especially for suppressing fire. Especially active. If you're using the hammer burst do yourself a favor and drop it. It really is now worthless. It now takes 2 bursts to kill a downed enemy. Yeah ok Coalition, good job with the balancing. The hammerburst was fine before, they just needed to nerf the active not the whole gun.

Also there really is no penalty for quitting, you might get dropped in rank but thats about it. 99% of the people don't care about the rank. From the last update post Coalition wasn't sure what the punishment should be for quitting. they were trying to decide between multiple things. Again things that should have been working in the game day 1.

I just want them to fix the god damn footsteps. 90% of my deaths are because I don't hear someone behind me on my surround sound unless it's a DEEBEE. I can hear those fuckers across map.

Ya, I really don't get why people use the DEEBEEs, they are so loud, you will always blow your cover. The noise is not only loud, but it is a very distinct sound as well.

EL CUCO

Finally got my Gears 360 codes from MS, and it says error to redeem...lol

I dont think I've ever gotten a code to work on the first try. Smdh

Top Bottom