• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Tagyhag

Did you have to preoder Gears of War 4 to get the codes for 1,2,3 and Judgement? My roommate just got them for free and she didn't preorder the game.

I'm curious to see population numbers.

It seems like this game just kinda came and went without much buzz.

Ever since TU1 it seems like people have been leaving in droves. I guess there are just more games to play now than every before so people are less likely to put up with the bullshit when the Gnasher is as broken as it is.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Man the shotgun felt glorious last night. I was insta-gibbing people from like 5 feet away. Wish it was like that every day. I have no idea what variables are involved or why it can feel so different day-to-day or even match-to-match.

Also it's amazing when a diamond (or whatever that tier is called) is in the game. They always go like 16-2. I'm OK at the game (gold 2) but those guys are on another level.

EL CUCO

I'm curious to see population numbers.

It seems like this game just kinda came and went without much buzz.
Game is pretty dead. Not sure what they can do to spark things up again. Maybe add some Locust characters from the old games and make them all talk more during matches? Just need something to spice the fun and interest up. Doesn't help that the new maps are incredibly safe and generic. Also, at this point it's rare to be in a core or competitive match without seeing people backing out after the first round. Not fun playing 6 rounds of capping rings against a team of 1 or 2 people or vice versa. Probably just going to stick with Social unless I'm playing in a group until they figure this out.

chidrock

Can anyone recommend a good guide for multiplayer? I've finally started playing after finishing the campaign, and after a couple of hours of team deathmatch, my k/d ratio is less than .10. Not sure what I'm not getting here; I've played a lot of multiplayer shooters but I just can't seem to kill anyone in this game. Feel like a dumbass for getting the ultimate edition bc I don't even know if I want to redeem my season pass lol.

Seriously though, I'd like to think I'm not completely dumb on this. I try to play smart - I stick with my team and keep to cover, but my guns just never seem to knock anyone down. I'm emptying clips into people and then am dying as they take barely any shots at me. Is there a trick to the aiming in this game? I've tried going for the head and the body, but nothing ever seems to work...

Volimar

Can anyone recommend a good guide for multiplayer? I've finally started playing after finishing the campaign, and after a couple of hours of team deathmatch, my k/d ratio is less than .10. Not sure what I'm not getting here; I've played a lot of multiplayer shooters but I just can't seem to kill anyone in this game. Feel like a dumbass for getting the ultimate edition bc I don't even know if I want to redeem my season pass lol.

Seriously though, I'd like to think I'm not completely dumb on this. I try to play smart - I stick with my team and keep to cover, but my guns just never seem to knock anyone down. I'm emptying clips into people and then am dying as they take barely any shots at me. Is there a trick to the aiming in this game? I've tried going for the head and the body, but nothing ever seems to work...

Most people probably have the +damage skills pretty high so newer players are going to be taking more damage than they dish out. You'll have to tough it out for a while until you can get your skills up.

chidrock

Most people probably have the +damage skills pretty high so newer players are going to be taking more damage than they dish out. You'll have to tough it out for a while until you can get your skills up.

Thanks; I had no idea that was the case. I was wondering why everyone was bulletsponges but me.

That's what I get for spending my time with the campaign before moving over to the multiplayer.

Is it even worth playing this if I don't really have the time to level up my character?

Iceman829

70+ packs. Not one Gary. And these guys want me to support their next paid pack? Fuck all of your business Coalition.

That sucks man. I thought it was bad enough it took about 40 boxes just to get a stupid Hammerburst skin. The whole idea of rng loot crates in games has kept me away from spending money. It's just virtual gambling at this point and users don't know the odds. The 10th anniversary skins made no sense anyway. The enforcer and markza didn't exist 10 years ago and they seemed to have higher drops rates (for me) then any item in the loot pool. You would've thought for the 10th anniversary they would've given the community a gimme, but they would rather piss on good will

Thanks; I had no idea that was the case. I was wondering why everyone was bulletsponges but me.

That's what I get for spending my time with the campaign before moving over to the multiplayer.

Is it even worth playing this if I don't really have the time to level up my character?

Your level doesn't affect anything. It's just a number. There is no such thing as +damage skills in multi. Only Horde mode has skills you can level up.

Is it best to use coins for elite packs or the 1000 coin packs?

Just buy versus boosters, you will get so much scrap that you can build whatever you want. I get legendary or elite skins all the time. Just keep scrapping them and you be set. I have maxed out 2 different horde classes skills just by buying versus boosters.

Not sure what the other poster is saying, but no one is doing more damage than anyone else in multiplayer.

Gears of War is a very tough game to get good at and it has a very unique rhythm - there's no other shooter like it.

You've just got to put the time in and accept you won't be good right away. :)

Volimar

Ah, my bad guys. I mistakenly believed that those +damage skills were in multi as well as horde. Thank goodness they haven't gone that far yet.

Werd

Was the base version of Gears 4 always supposed to come with Gears 1 through Judgement codes? I thought that was an ultimate edition feature. I just had the Nvidia code but saw them in my messages today, nice bonus.

I can't get gears of war 4 from the microsoft store. even via paypal. Even MS support couldnt figure it out (my windows is legit)

can I buy the xbone version and get a code for the PC version? is that a thing? extra question, if I get gears on xbone and give it to my nephew, will we be able to play co-op while I'm on PC and he's on his xbone?

J_Viper

Bots in Horde would be okay too, if they're too lazy to add join-in-progress

If not, guess I'll delete it after I wrap up the campaign. I can't deal with players leaving any more.

Like, at least wait till Wave 20 man

Volimar

I can't get gears of war 4 from the microsoft store. even via paypal. Even MS support couldnt figure it out (my windows is legit)

can I buy the xbone version and get a code for the PC version? is that a thing? extra question, if I get gears on xbone and give it to my nephew, will we be able to play co-op while I'm on PC and he's on his xbone?

My friend bought me Gears 4 from Walmart. Was a code card, I'm assuming near the Xbox Live Gold cards etc. Its code could be used for PC or Xbone. Might be worth looking into.

Bots in Horde would be okay too, if they're too lazy to add join-in-progress

If not, guess I'll delete it after I wrap up the campaign. I can't deal with players leaving any more.

Like, at least wait till Wave 20 man

I made it to wave 40 2 nights ago with 3 other guys. We had this incredible setup with sentries and decoys, nothing could touch us. I was dumb on wave 40 went out from the base and got killed, one other guy came out to get my tags and also got killed, and the other 2 guys just quit. Then the guy that tried to get my tags quit as well so it was just me. I was a heavy, but I still managed to make it to wave 43 before I was totally out of credits and all my stuff was destroyed. I hate the quiters so much, you invest 2 hours and then some asshole just quits and it was all for nothing.

The Stig

I like this game very much. Just joined the xbox one world got the blue console bundle with this game.

I love horde mode. If anyone wants to play horde, plz add me:

Silverstoned84

edit - also is there any way to get those new maps discounted? theyre so expensive.

I like this game very much. Just joined the xbox one world got the blue console bundle with this game.

I love horde mode. If anyone wants to play horde, plz add me:

Silverstoned84

edit - also is there any way to get those new maps discounted? theyre so expensive.

The maps are free to play in Versus and Horde unless you want to use them for Private matches.

Lgndryhr

Finally got my codes for 1-3 and Judgement. I used the code for Gears 1, but already own the others. Anyone need the codes for 2, 3, and judgement?

My thoughts so far.....in sorry I just couldn't get into Act I, the end of act II is great and now I'm half way through act III, and this is what I expected. Plays great, and looks great, but I still just think the original is the best.

Graciaus

Did my Horde game glitch or does the engineer perk to give torrents extra life when built not let you heal them? I built two and could never heal them when they were damaged. I could only refill the ammo and they were eventually just destroyed.

Some might be happy but I liked the horde pack better when it just had skill cards. I don't care about customization at all. Unless I get something super rare and can scrap it which hasn't happened yet.

Up to Act III and its so far very simply laid out by the numbers game. I can even be 1 millimetre off from the trigger point for the enemies its so obvious. Game so far is literally clear smallish area kick door to enter new, clear it, kick door to enter new. Not seen so many door entrances since Resident Evil.

Thought there was way too many drop ships with robots repeating the same things, I mean sure they're robots I'll let that slide but really its how the robots are simply dropped in the same fashion then the trackers over and over. I was so glad to see something else by act III.

Hope act 4-5 are good because I'm quite a ways through now and its quite disappointing. I do like the animations, it's technically well made.

Madness

Finally beat the campaign. Not a fan. Story had its moments but very poor job overall. Act 3 far too long while Act 5 is very quick. Was the Coalition really trying to just make sure they copied Gears 1 all the way. Way too repetitive as well. All the button prompts break immersion, half the time I was also ahead of my AI and would wait like 20 seconds for them to help me with the door. Almost the whole game was rinse and repeat. Hardcore was far too easy while Insane is a bit too hard.

How many times are they gonna give us windflares. I mean magically any time we are outside and need to get between two points, here you go. Checkpoint system needs updating as well. Some areas just giant and well designed but pointless with little to do. Why even make it a cover shooter and allow for flanks but give enemies extra sensory perfect shots or know where you are. They will also often rush over cover, things like the dropshot. Makes sense why they allowed liberal use of teammates picking you up. Every single main boss fight just a slog.

MCD

I'm stuck at the museum on insane. No idea what to do, it's so frustrating.

Get out of the museum and go all the way to where you came from after you clear the first swarm only phase.

Worked on COOP at least. I stopped playing on Insane after this area because seriously fuck this shit.

P.S. I love Horde but getting bored of the enemies.

Volimar

I'm disappointed that in only 25 years, humanity has not only scratched back from the edge of extinction but has these fabricators and DBs and the apparent infrastructure for all of it. I know Baird is a miracle worker, but this level of widespread technological sophistication should have taken longer, imo.

Madness

I'm disappointed that in only 25 years, humanity has not only scratched back from the edge of extinction but has these fabricators and DBs and the apparent infrastructure for all of it. I know Baird is a miracle worker, but this level of widespread technological sophistication should have taken longer, imo.

Lol, I had the same complaint in Halo 4, in which it took them 5 years to go from extinction and every single world destroyed and glassed to be the universe superpower with an even better Spartan-IV program and cities that looked like never destroyed.

Though it isn't so bad in Gears. Baird only created these robots, Jinn utilized them for large scale mobilization. What pissed me off was the haphazard waste of resources. Magically the CoG has the ability to air drop hundreds of robots every ten seconds, massive settlements etc. I felt the Outsider village was more representative. But they do need to tell their story.

Top Bottom