• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Is anyone else having issues loading up the story in co-op via Xbox live? My brother and I have been trying for hours and regardless of who is hosting, we get disconnected during the start of the opening cutscene. We live in the same house (he's a good 50ft from me). I don't think our internet is the issue either because we've been playing all sorts of online games rececntly without an issue.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
No, you paid this money for the season pass, mainly. Stop bitching, today is just the first day after release for God's sake.

you have no idea why he went for that edition. it very well could have been early access. if he cant play online, and thats why he bought it, he has a reason to be pissed. jesus

corin7

Neo Member
Just played through the prologue on ultra and damn, goddamn it looks absolutely stunning. So good to be back in a Gears game. Perfect start to the weekend.

Kalentan

Marcus died for what ever reason and instead of going back to checkpoint, it fucking restarted the level and I have none of my good weapons. Fuck you game.

Dubz

Ok playing the campaign I guess. These new characters are pretty weak when compared to the likes of Cole Train and Fenix.

The game looks incredible on my PC, though. Ultra at 1440p averaging about 80fps on my Gsync monitor.

Kalentan

Okay why would you put the "Restart Level" right below the "Reload Last checkpoint" and put no prompt asking: "Are you sure you want to restart the level"?

Is that so hard to ask for something so mind bogling simple?

MarveI

Alright, so after 41 matches played and hitting level 28 I finally have enough credits for an elite pack. That's counting all the credit bonuses for leveling up and the 600 they started us with.

It's so bad lol.

I know that feel. I have 3618 and I don't want to buy packs (1 pack in my case) because of how hard it'll be to get back to 3000+ credits lol.

Oh shit, Amazon just sent an email apologizing for missing the shipping date and gave me a code for the digital version while I wait for the physical one.

Solidsoul

Banned
So probably to early but can anyone comment on wether this is a successful true to form continuation of the gears series or does it ruin the story and lore like 343 did with Halo?

corin7

Neo Member
Ok playing the campaign I guess. These new characters are pretty weak when compared to the likes of Cole Train and Fenix.

The game looks incredible on my PC, though. Ultra at 1440p averaging about 80fps on my Gsync monitor.

1080? I am bouncing between 50-70 at 1440p on my gsync with a 1070ftw. But yeah its absolutely stunning. Also can't believe how Gears this feels. I like it better than Halo 4 / 5 and I liked those games.

MarveI

So probably to early but can anyone comment on wether this is a successful true to form continuation of the gears series or does it ruin the story and lore like 343 did with Halo?

No it's nothing like 343. Coalition did a terrific job. Very worthy I'd say.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Err... very random question, but is Carmine's voice dialogue (or whoever you play as in the very beginning prologue) coming through anyone else's speakers REALLY strangely? It might be the sound mix in the game, but it shakes my speakers and comes out really distorted. No other game has done this, ever, and no my speakers aren't blown out. Just really distracting and bizarre.. :/

Peterthumpa

you have no idea why he went for that edition. it very well could have been early access. if he cant play online, and thats why he bought it, he has a reason to be pissed. jesus

Indeed, fair enough. But still, such childish comments are borderline stupid.

corin7

Neo Member
It is taking some work to rework all that muscle memory to use mouse and keyboard but damn, the pistol is strong on PC.

Full Horde lobby....LOADING MAP for 4 minutes...finally get to lobby screen with only 2 people left...sit at pre-game menu for 2 minutes...finally start and get to wave 3...kicked back to menu.

Pretty much sums up my Gears of War 4 experience so far.

Lren

Got kicked from a public Horde match at Wave 39, surprisingly not as salty as I thought I would be. Was a lot of fun up to that point though. Really like playing engineer so far, Scout being another fun class due to how active you can be.

Full Horde lobby....LOADING MAP for 4 minutes...finally get to lobby screen with only 2 people left...sit at pre-game menu for 2 minutes...finally start and get to wave 3...kicked back to menu.

early access + launch window baby! Woo!

DAT early access experience.

Yet to have a perfect match on multi. East coast NYC btw.

Dinosur

This is my first time using the Xbox app on PC. How the hell do you get achievement/message pop-ups? I have them all checked in the Xbox options and went into win10 settings and turned notifications back on, rebooted, and still nothing. Is that just not possible or do I still have something turned off in the depths of this nonsense?

This is my first time using the Xbox app on PC. How the hell do you get achievement/message pop-ups? I have them all checked in the Xbox options and went into win10 settings and turned notifications back on, rebooted, and still nothing. Is that just not possible or do I still have something turned off in the depths of this nonsense?

Most likely due to gm not being officially out. Get gms weeks in advance and achievements never pop up till release day.

Dinosur

Most likely due to gm not being officially out. Get gms weeks in advance and achievements never pop up till release day.

No, I mean I'm unlocking the achievements but PC is not displaying the notification when I get one or when someone sends me a message (like on console). Didn't know if something was borked or this xbox PC app just sucks.

F34R

Oh shit, Amazon just sent an email apologizing for missing the shipping date and gave me a code for the digital version while I wait for the physical one.

I was on chat with three service reps and the CS Manager. They said there wasn't anything they could do to help at all. Nothing. I called by phone and talked with a supervisor, and he said they will not be issuing any credits or free codes due to the delay. They did credit me a $10 partial refund. So I ended up paying $75 for the Ultimate physical copy.

Then I read this thread and saw your post. Checked my email. You posted at 9:48pm (EST) and my email with the free code came in at 9:47pm EST! lol. If I hadn't read your post I wouldn't even have touched my email for a few more days lol.

Jarrod38

I was on chat with three service reps and the CS Manager. They said there wasn't anything they could do to help at all. Nothing. I called by phone and talked with a supervisor, and he said they will not be issuing any credits or free codes due to the delay. They did credit me a $10 partial refund. So I ended up paying $75 for the Ultimate physical copy.

Then I read this thread and saw your post. Checked my email. You posted at 9:48pm (EST) and my email with the free code came in at 9:47pm EST! lol. If I hadn't read your post I wouldn't even have touched my email for a few more days lol.
How about that free
code. Wink wink.

Dominator

Load times in general for every mode is so bad... Campaign took me 3 minutes to load from the menu.

Horde took 5 minutes when I played before.

yup hate all these new cunts

saving up to buy the old characters on MP

While the current credit payouts are absolutely irredeemable, I can see why Coalition is in a tough place with them.

With all the comparisons to Halo 5's REQ system, people have to see the big differences. The highest pack of REQ cards grants only 2 permanent unlocks, while the elite gear pack grants 5.

Plus, Halo 5's REQ system has a loooooooot of clutter and reskins in there to pad out the grind. I haven't surfed the customization menu too deeply in Gears 4, but it definitely seems like there are a lot less skins here than Halo 5. And most are actually valuable and look enticing on their own, and not useless clutter with a white line thrown on top.

So less items in the pool + more items in the highest pack equals a longer grind to get the pack. Then I assume they have to extend that grind a little more in order to entice the buying of packs.

Certainly a rough place. But it is way too brutal at the current moment, especially since this game, unlike Halo 5, has a season pass and DLC maps as well.

Top Bottom