• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

DocSeuss

The game is pretty great, and I don't understand why people think the new protags are boring. Kait kinda is, but JD and Del have plenty of great moments. This game has taken me through a heck of an emotional journey so far. I've burst out laughing, even did an irl "OH NO NO NO" at one point. I can't think of the last AAA game that did that. DO I wish that Cole Train was here? Yes. Absolutely.

Biggest disappointment is that I had to go a long while without using an Overkill.

Kalentan

The game is pretty great, and I don't understand why people think the new protags are boring. Kait kinda is, but JD and Del have plenty of great moments. This game has taken me through a heck of an emotional journey so far. I've burst out laughing, even did an irl "OH NO NO NO" at one point. I can't think of the last AAA game that did that. DO I wish that Cole Train was here? Yes. Absolutely.

Yeah, Kait could use some work but JD and Del are an awesome duo who play off each other very well. Honestly I think the entire cast do imho.

Also can you actually repair turrets in the "horde" mode sections of the Campaign? If so, how?

tuna_love

Banned
does anyone know if Xbox players can see when pc players type? horde mode is gonna be hard till people figure out whats going on, also does anyone know if there's a way to take screenshots on pc with out using the dash button and just using a controller on pc? with he chat pad thing or anything? cant set the screenshot button to take them

B00TE

does anyone know if Xbox players can see when pc players type? horde mode is gonna be hard till people figure out whats going on, also does anyone know if there's a way to take screenshots on pc with out using the dash button and just using a controller on pc? with he chat pad thing or anything? cant set the screenshot button to take them
Yes, xbox users can see text chat.

Yeah, Kait could use some work but JD and Del are an awesome duo who play off each other very well. Honestly I think the entire cast do imho.

Also can you actually repair turrets in the "horde" mode sections of the Campaign? If so, how?

I don't think you can. There is only the Y button move prompt on turrets and barricades.

HiiiLife

Saw a vid of the playable multiplayer characters. Doesn't seem like a lot. At all. Well. Guess I'm picking e day soldier since they removed Carmine.

malfcn

Wish you for something from campaign. Xp or packs, anything.

3 acts down. Time to call it a night, maybe mp.

Whew, this game.

I almost ordered from Amazon, that would have been sweet. They won't let foot cancel physical without a charge for digital right?

I'm fine with physical. But sometimes I don't want to get up.

Grisby

Played all the way through the prologue and act 1. Got to lvlv 5 in MP.

This is the best Gears has ever played.

Whew, lotta stuff rollin around in the ol noggin. First off, the prologue had me grinning from ear to ear. Really great way to open up the game for old Gears fans.

It's so strange being thrown into a bunch of new characters, settings, and enemies. I think it's done it better than Halo 4. Really like the fact that we get to see the world from a stranded sort of view.

Graphically, everything is so clean. The cinematics are great, as is the use of color. 30 fps is smooth, although there's been a bit of slowdown when a grenade goes off in a crowd (xbox one here), but overall, I think it's a good showcase for the system.

The most important part though, is that the gameplay is faster, but still delivers the impact that no other game really can. The little added touches like the smooth mantling and knife grabs work well and add more kick to the base game.

Yeah, this is great.

Little touches:
-Kait's mom
pulling her braid out
for her.
-I thought I spied
Sam in
the prologue
-
Kim!

TheRed

Robots suck as enemies.....amirite?

I like them a lot better than Black Ops 3 for some reason. Hated them in BO3 and never finished that game. I really like the way they get dropped in, it's awesome. Loving this game it's so good and looks beautiful at high res and 60 fps on PC. I can only imagine what HDR would add.

Robots suck as enemies.....amirite?

I enjoy them, they bring a sense of danger not seen before in Gears. I like how the big ones punish you for staying in one spot for too long. Though my favorite part his how go all kamikaze the second they're about to die forcing you to run like hell.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I made it to the start of Act IV and decided to call it a night. Damned incredible campaign so far. Underground areas in Act III were stunning in places.

Grisby

I think the robots are cool. They explode real good and shoot oil everywhere. Also, it's a neat lore deal because humanity is mostly still f'ed.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Game is good. Load times and network issues are not good.

Hoping Coalition sorts this out by Tuesday. Liking what I see.

How the fuck can I get the DeeBees tho

How the fuck can I get the DeeBees tho

raw

Did anyone get any Swarm characters from their packs? All I got was COG characters and I don't have a single unique Swarm MP character besides the starters lol

Anyone have the issue where their Gears 4 PC install just........acts like it was never installed and installs all 70+ gigs again?

Just happened to me.......I thought it finished last night.

Spenny

All my old Gears buddies left the Xbox platform so I need some people to play with. Preferably people with mics.

GT: Project HYDE

No, I mean I'm unlocking the achievements but PC is not displaying the notification when I get one or when someone sends me a message (like on console). Didn't know if something was borked or this xbox PC app just sucks.
I wasn't getting them until I brought up the Xbox app and had it running in the background. Then they started showing up

Just played through more of the Campaign with my Brother.

God damn that game is gorgeous!

Very happy about my Ultimate Edition purchase. :)

So this comes with the 360 games remastered? Should i play through all of those before playing 4? Really excited about my first gears experience.

So this comes with the 360 games remastered? Should i play through all of those before playing 4? Really excited about my first gears experience.

It comes with the 360 originals via backwards compatibility.

But they are still fun. I played through the trilogy last month and had a blast.

It comes with all 4, but they aren't remastered. I would definitely recommend playing the first 3 before this one, or at least watching a quick story breakdown. But you could start here if you wanted I suppose.

Also, I'm not much of a graphics person, but man Act III alone makes me want to purchase a One S and HDR capable TV because this game looks fantastic.

Top Bottom