• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

The biggest question I have is why are the Deebees on the Swarm team in multiplayer? They're COG machines.

I mean I know they're enemies in the campaign but still...

The game is pretty great, and I don't understand why people think the new protags are boring. Kait kinda is, but JD and Del have plenty of great moments. This game has taken me through a heck of an emotional journey so far. I've burst out laughing, even did an irl "OH NO NO NO" at one point. I can't think of the last AAA game that did that. DO I wish that Cole Train was here? Yes. Absolutely.

Biggest disappointment is that I had to go a long while without using an Overkill.

You wanna play paper, paper, paper?

Hugstable

Banned
Wait 2 is supposed to not be as great? Just finished playing it for the first time and I enjoyed it alot, though I didn't like vehicle stuff all that much

DocSeuss

Wait 2 is supposed to not be as great? Just finished playing it for the first time and I enjoyed it alot, though I didn't like vehicle stuff all that much

I'm not sure why people don't like 2. The campaigns get progressively better. There's the first game, then the superior second game, then the near-flawless third game.

People who like 2 the least don't know what they're talking about.

Also 3 is not that great cause lambent are stupid and not as fun to fight as normal locusts

You'll definitely enjoy all of them if you enjoy gears in general. People have their preferences, but they're all actually good to great games. The only one that's just good I'd say is judgement. It's still worth a playthrough though.

Montresor

Man this campaign is great.

Kait's facial animations in cutscenes look incredible. This game is vivid and colourful in a wonderful way so far (I'm in the middle of Act 1: Chapter 3).

I do admit I want to get to some of the darker chapters (i.e. the heydey of Gears 1) but I'm loving the game so far.

The prologue with the fanservice, and jumping in and out of cutscenes and game play was exquisite. The gunplay and game play is fantastic as always, and the game's visuals don't disappoint. This is a damn fine game... Can't wait to play some more.

DocSeuss

Man this campaign is great.

Kait's facial animations in cutscenes look incredible. This game is vivid and colourful in a wonderful way so far (I'm in the middle of Act 1: Chapter 3).

I do admit I want to get to some of the darker chapters (i.e. the heydey of Gears 1) but I'm loving the game so far.

The prologue with the fanservice, and jumping in and out of cutscenes and game play was exquisite. The gunplay and game play is fantastic as always, and the game's visuals don't disappoint. This is a damn fine game... Can't wait to play some more.

The part that bugged me about the prologue is that holy crap I want to fight the Locust again.

malfcn

Why do people pick Guardian and then rush to die and fuck the team?

Why do people pick King of the Hill and ignore the rings.

Jesus.

Seriously.

What the FUCK is going on.

My Gears 4 PC just finished downloading again.....it errors out.......then it starts the entire download again.

EDIT: Now it doesn't even show up in My Library or Downloads/Updates.

MattyG

Banned
I really hope the mp loading issues get sorted soon. I'd play it SOOOOO much, but I can't wait 5 minutes to join a match only to fail.

Montresor

Also, the way this game installs is a travesty.

PS4 players install and start playing any game within 30 seconds. I don't play on PS4; no interest in the console. But there's a fact that a huge advantage the console has is you can start playing a game within seconds.

Gears of War 4 is completely UNPLAYABLE until 100% of the game has installed. WHY?!?!

It took me 4 or so hours to download Gears Of War 4 tonight. We kept track of the progress - i.e. at some point it would show 10% overall install and 20% campaign install.

So we thought - okay not the end of the world. We'll just wait for the campaign to install, and even if the game overall isn't fully installed, who cares. We don't want to play multiplayer right now. We don't care about Horde right now. Just the campaign. So once campaign is 100% installed, we can start playing.

So we watch some Youtube videos. We eat dinner. We put in Kill Bill Volume 1. Great movie by the way. The Bride kills Vivica A. Fox - 40% overall install and 60% campaign. Not bad. The Bride meets up with Sonny Chiba. The same sort of ratio between campaign and overall is sort of maintained. Then the Bride gets to the House of Blue Leaves and we see campaign installation fucking CRATERS at 90% while OTHER parts of the game start installing.

We were shocked! I mean come on! We ended up not being able to play until the WHOLE game was 100% installed.

Fuck off.

So after playing through until ACT III, I can say that this is my favorite Gears campaign and multiplayer. I have, however, noticed an issue that's gotta get fixed. Maybe it can't. I don't know. The issue is, for some reason, local split-screen on PC has those horrible black bars. I'm on a 27 inch monitor at 1440p 144hz so I lose ALOT of area when it not only splits but about a quarter of my screen is black :/...It just seems pointless on the PC version. Overall though...its a small complaint for an otherwise fantastic port.

Montresor

I also think this game isn't getting the respect it deserves in terms of being a masterful graphical tour de force.

Forza Horizon 3 is getting its just props. But Gears 4 isn't. I've closed down Gears 4 for the night and I'm still thinking of Kait's face in Act 1's first major cutscene. The attention to detail in the environment. The splashes of colour and the environmental/wind effects. The game looks phenomenal.

I also think this game isn't getting the respect it deserves in terms of being a masterful graphical tour de force.

Forza Horizon 3 is getting its just props. But Gears 4 isn't. I've closed down Gears 4 for the night and I'm still thinking of Kait's face in Act 1's first major cutscene. The attention to detail in the environment. The splashes of colour and the environmental/wind effects. The game looks phenomenal.

It's one of the best looking games I've ever seen. Certainly up there with the Uncharteds and Witchers of the world. The IQ is just so damn cleannnnn

MattyG

Banned

Agreed. It does have a few minor issues here and there (mostly just a couple minor textures and stuff), but they're so few and far between and the art design makes up for it so much that it's not even noticeable or worth mentioning.

Also, the way this game installs is a travesty.

PS4 players install and start playing any game within 30 seconds. I don't play on PS4; no interest in the console. But there's a fact that a huge advantage the console has is you can start playing a game within seconds.

Gears of War 4 is completely UNPLAYABLE until 100% of the game has installed. WHY?!?!

It took me 4 or so hours to download Gears Of War 4 tonight. We kept track of the progress - i.e. at some point it would show 10% overall install and 20% campaign install.

So we thought - okay not the end of the world. We'll just wait for the campaign to install, and even if the game overall isn't fully installed, who cares. We don't want to play multiplayer right now. We don't care about Horde right now. Just the campaign. So once campaign is 100% installed, we can start playing.

So we watch some Youtube videos. We eat dinner. We put in Kill Bill Volume 1. Great movie by the way. The Bride kills Vivica A. Fox - 40% overall install and 60% campaign. Not bad. The Bride meets up with Sonny Chiba. The same sort of ratio between campaign and overall is sort of maintained. Then the Bride gets to the House of Blue Leaves and we see campaign installation fucking CRATERS at 90% while OTHER parts of the game start installing.

We were shocked! I mean come on! We ended up not being able to play until the WHOLE game was 100% installed.

Fuck off.

Dont kid yourself this is not true.

Montresor

Dont kid yourself this is not true.

Again - I don't play on PS4. All I can go by is what other GAF posters say.

Surely you know I don't mean PS4 games install 100% of the game within 30 seconds. That's not what I'm saying. But aren't story modes playable within 30 seconds in any PS4 game?

I'm just bitter that The Coalition and/or Microsoft designed the installation process so poorly. I mean we ended up finishing an entire movie tonight waiting around for this game's campaign to install. I don't know exactly whose fault this is - maybe The Coalition, or maybe Microsoft.

Perhaps this falls in Mike Ybarra's domain (head of Xbox platform/engineering).

Montresor

Dumb question- does PC have split screen local co op for the campaign?

Yes it does - The Coalition went all out with feature support for everyone in this game. The only thing they didn't include is cross-platform play for public Versus - but it's a GOOD thing they didn't include that.

The game has cross-save, cross-play for every mode except for public Versus, local splitscreen co-op for every mode. Damn fine package.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yes it does - The Coalition went all out with feature support for everyone in this game. The only thing they didn't include is cross-platform play for public Versus - but it's a GOOD thing they didn't include that.

The game has cross-save, cross-play for every mode except for public Versus, local splitscreen co-op for every mode. Damn fine package.
It puts a lot of PC versions to shame in this generation.

Yes, it does. I mentioned in my comment above that it also includes black bars which is AWESOME on computer monitors :S I hope it gets fixed

Awesome just what I wanted to hear

Tecnniqe

Banned
Honestly, the "loading map" seems like a sync/connection to other players error.

If its quick, everyone's there.
If its slow, someone disconnected from the server.

It also would be nice to customize skin in the lobby, as its ~50 sec countdown.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Honestly, the "loading map" seems like a sync/connection to other players error.

If its quick, everyone's there.
If its slow, someone disconnected from the server.

It also would be nice to customize skin in the lobby, as its ~50 sec countdown.

They'll fix it. In Rod we trust.

Top Bottom