• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

I can't do any matchmaking or even private matches because it seems that I can't connect to the servers. I get error code 0x00000d28 whenever I try to do any matchmaking. This is on PC. Anyone else getting this?

Theorry

How is the Multiplayer in Gears 4?
Any impressions would be appreciated :)

Pretty good. 60fps is best. Plays like Gears 3 but even abit better.
Map loading is a little slow now. Probably because of some sync issues. But playing match after match atm.

I can't do any matchmaking or even private matches because it seems that I can't connect to the servers. I get error code 0x00000d28 whenever I try to do any matchmaking. This is on PC. Anyone else getting this?

Maybe some NAT/Firewall issue?
This are the ports to live. Maybe that helps.

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
Port 3544 (UDP)
Port 4500 (UDP

Nere

Oh god bought the game and I am preloading it. Problem is on my garbage internet it is going slower than a snail. Left it all night to download and only reached 30gb out of 73gb, that means I won't be able to use the computer all day today. I heard I shouldn't pause it right?

Shame they got rid of consist lobbies, liked it better when it didn't disband everybody after a match. Why is everything getting rid of that? I like it better when I can choose to fight the same people over and over if they want to too. Hopefully by Tuesday they can fix this long loading times for maps cause the multiplayer is great and pretty fun just don't like waiting a couple of minutes.

Theorry

Shame they got rid of consist lobbies, liked it better when it didn't disband everybody after a match. Why is everything getting rid of that? I like it better when I can choose to fight the same people over and over if they want to too. Hopefully by Tuesday they can fix this long loading times for maps cause the multiplayer is great and pretty fun just don't like waiting a couple of minutes.

Because the game has ranked placement now so people after the match change placement really. So it needs to go back to do a new search for best matches. Social keeps rolling tho because it doesnt matter there.

Oh god bought the game and I am preloading it. Problem is on my garbage internet it is going slower than a snail. Left it all night to download and only reached 30gb out of 73gb, that means I won't be able to use the computer all day today. I heard I shouldn't pause it right?
Yea i made the mistake of pausing it. 30 gb gone.

Montresor

Because the game has ranked placement now so people after the match change placement really. So it needs to go back to do a new search for best matches. Social keeps rolling tho because it doesnt matter there.

Please tell me teams get shuffled in social after every match.

Sevenfold

Ok I've never played the series and honestly looking at footage it's just waist high cover to waist high cover. The title is still epic so are there huge set-pieces? Is it awesome to play?

MattyG

Banned
Ok I've never played the series and honestly looking at footage it's just waist high cover to waist high cover. The title is still epic so are there huge set-pieces? Is it awesome to play?
It's cover to cover, but it's a blast when you're actually playing and strategizing, and yes, there are set pieces galore (one of my favorites of the year, actually).

Theorry

Matchmaking getting better and better here now. Loading map still the longest. But is arround 30 seconds. Arround 1 minute to find and join a match.
Playing Dodgeball btw.

Sevenfold

It's cover to cover, but it's a blast when you're actually playing and strategizing, and yes, there are set pieces galore (one of my favorites of the year, actually).

Strategy? Ok, it looks brainless honestly, so I'm going to watch an LP of a series fan I think to get a better idea of it. Cheers.

EDIT: By brainless I mean looks like COD whack-a-mole/game makes it obvious it's waiting for you to 'move on' to spawn the next enemies type thing.

Maybe some NAT/Firewall issue?
This are the ports to live. Maybe that helps.

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
Port 3544 (UDP)
Port 4500 (UDP

Yeah, that was it. But, the important ports seem to be 3075 (not 3074) and 3544. I didn't bother with the rest.

That bug should have been fixed in the win10 update just before forza horizon - do you have it installed?

downloading the PC version has been an absolute nightmare. Let it run for almost 24 hours and got 9 GB downloaded. Now it's been restarting itself and chrome is using more bandwidth browsing GAF than the windows store is during the download. Fucking ridiculous. I get 4-5mbps on steam/uplay/origin all the time so idk what windows' problem is.

I bought Forza and Gears 4 digitally to get the PC version but it's been an absolute mess so far.

I swear it's downloading the game at like 200kbps right now. WHYYYYYY

forza horizon 3 had no issue downloading overnight either. IDK what makes gears special.

Ranking the campaigns I'd say:

Gears 2
Gears 4
Gears 1
Gears 3

Acts two through five in Gears of War 4 are truly excellent and match (if not surpass) anything we've seen in the franchise to date.

I'd also say the Swarm are way more fun to fight than the Locust (and tough as old boots on Hardcore). As someone who has played all the games recently, the AI is a giant step up too.

However, Gears of War 2 remains my favourite because not only was it an enormous step up from the original with new enemies and weapons, it also boasted some really memorable levels.

One minute you were exploring an abandoned research facility in the mountains the next you were battling your way through the Locust stronghold.

You take charge of Brumak, chainsaw your way out of a giant worm and take on a giant fish after a high speed boat chase.

The variety in locales really is top notch.

The original Gears of War is lots of fun, if a little bit simple by today's standards.

It has a unique tone that none of the others have really gone for and also boasts some really memorable encounters.

The entirety of act two will forever be one of my favourites in the franchise.

Gears of War 3 is a bit too long for it's own good, a little bloated. By making areas larger to accommodate four people you lose that's intimate violence that is the series' biggest strength.

Mechanically it stands well above one and two, but it's a game that shows how important pacing is.

It's still got some memorable encounters and is bags of fun alone or with friends, but generally, I think it's the least enjoyable.

Cracking MP though.

N7.Angel

But you can only play social with one friend, it's stupid as fuck, they should let us played what playlist we want with who we want... some people just want to play for fun, they don't want to wait for minutes to get in a match and get destroyed because their teamates are retarded or leave the damn fucking game..

I hope they'll change that stupid stuff before the official launch.

I definitely wish they would lift the restriction on Social. I play with two friends and Social is so much more appealing to us than Core/Competitive because we can stay in the rolling lobby and jump between gametypes without having to commit to a certain one.

If there's so much concern about stacked teams I think a Mercenary playlist would be a much for elegant solution.

Still can't do co-op campaign. Error for the player not hosting every time.

This is why you don't charge extra to play before release. What am I paying for if I can't even play it?

Theorry

But you can only play social with one friend, it's stupid as fuck, they should let us played what playlist we want with who we want... some people just want to play for fun, they don't want to wait for minutes to get in a match and get destroyed because their teamates are retarded or leave the damn fucking game..

I hope they'll change that stupid stuff before the official launch.

Not sure what it has to do with my post about rank placement and no rolling servers in ranked. But i agree tho with Social. If you want to run with 4 other buddies you should be allowed. Its Social after all.

Still can't do co-op campaign. Error for the player not hosting every time.

This is why you don't charge extra to play before release. What am I paying for if I can't even play it?

Doubt its a server issue. More a NAT issue. Check little above on this page for Live ports.

Theorry

That Ultrawide advantage. Not mine. From Reddit.

ImpressiveLoathsomeEyelashpitviper-size_restricted.gif

had a shit time with the windows store, but it wasnt too bad. the download was much faster than steam is for me at least. Just when i paused it i lost 30 gb because it wouldnt restart.

on steam my speed has a mean of 5-6 MBps

on the windows store i was getting 10-12 MBps.

was quite good. Another thing they should add is download speed limit. Would of liked to limit the download to ~5MBps because my router just cant handle downloading at ~12MB and watching netflix. Couldnt even find an app to limit just the windows store so I could also play dota 2 without 100% of the bandwidth being taken up and getting a 1000ms ping.

Theorry

had a shit time with the windows store, but it wasnt too bad. the download was much faster than steam is for me at least. Just when i paused it i lost 30 gb because it wouldnt restart.

on steam my speed has a mean of 5-6 MBps

on the windows store i was getting 10-12 MBps.

was quite good. Another thing they should add is download speed limit. Would of liked to limit the download to ~5MBps because my router just cant handle downloading at ~12MB and watching netflix. Couldnt even find an app to limit just the windows store so I could also play dota 2 without 100% of the bandwidth being taken up and getting a 1000ms ping.

People talk about netlimiter i believe sometimes. Never used it tho.

Dr Dogg

Just got to Act 4 in the campaign and quite liking the tonal shift from previous Gears so far. Although it's a much more personal main cast, with some good interplay between them, the lack of support NPCs, or being a cog in a bigger machine (pun intended) is something I'm missing. Though these kids have grown up and lead relatively normal lives unlike the old crew who knew only war. Which does strike a nice balance at times.

Still Horde 3.0 is going to rob me of a lot of my free time for the foreseeable future. Going by how the cards have 'Launch Series' on them be great to see this evolve over the lifetime of the game with some new ideas. That and Horde at high framerates is to die for!

Tecnniqe

Banned
So finished my first Wave 50;
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9pSZFtq.jpg[/IMG]

However the reward for completing wave 41 to 50 was like 80 coins.

Come on :3. In total I probably got like 300 coins (if that) in like 3 hours this took, that's SHIT.

However I gained a few level, every 5 granted me ~500 so I managed to purchase a new box.

I got a skin and some emblems;

Default:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AjYr9Sl.jpg[/IMG]
Box skin that's taken me about 8 hours to get:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/weE4fFz.jpg[/IMG]

A whole ASSFLAP, yeeey.

Love the gameplay but the rewards feel sooooo, soooo shitty.

DOWN

Banned
I got a brief chance to watch a friend play and I love the art and it reminds me of the first game, but I'm disappointed with the graphics. Not raising the bar or anything major. I'll still buy when I have time to play.

Xater

Arms Race might be my favorite versus mode.

However the reward for completing wave 41 to 50 was like 80 coins.

Come on :3. In total I probably got like 300 coins (if that) in like 3 hours this took, that's SHIT.

Love the gameplay but the rewards feel sooooo, soooo shitty.

Yup they are awful. They either need to up they payout or make the boxes cheaper. At the end of a social versus match I got like 3 coins. WTF?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Arms Race might be my favorite versus mode.

Yup they are awful. They either need to up they payout or make the boxes cheaper. At the end of a social versus match I got like 3 coins. WTF?

I also forgot to mention I had a bounty that required 1-50 Hordemode which grants 200 credits...

For 3 hours....

I don't even. I mean, if the cosmetics was like super awesome, maybe, but in 8 hours play time the only box I ever purchased and spent all my credits on, gave a character a tiny assflap and nothing else changed. That's kinda infuriating.

Top Bottom