• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Doikor

Just finished the campaign. Story spoilers:

So Kaits grandmother was/is the queen? The amulet her mother gave her (which belonged to Kaits grandmother) has the Locust symbol on the backside. Probably why they didn't kill Reyna too?

Gears v Ori

Loved it! Really enjoying my time with this game, the shooting feels great and the play areas are to fun to move around in.

Actually digging the story as well o_O

Nice. I played Arms Race on Foundation and the opposing team spawn camped us on our spawn at later rounds.

Anyway, I need people to play with. Add me: GT Hypertrooper

Strootman

Nice. I played Arms Race on Foundation and the opposing team spawn camped us on our spawn at later rounds.

Anyway, I need people to play with. Add me: GT Hypertrooper
And this is why I always said that gears must be played on execution. One life per round. Respawns just don't work in this game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Weird, I have everything set to English, yet my achievements in this game show up in French on the Win10 app (and online on xbox.com), but the notifications are English. ReCore, which I played before this, shows everything in English. I don't get it and doubt there's anything I can do to fix this. Maybe it's because I have Belgium set to my location and it picks French because of that? No idea.

n9gfJNJ.png

Xater

Weird, I have everything set to English, yet my achievements in this game show up in French on the Win10 app (and online on xbox.com), but the notifications are English. ReCore, which I played before this, shows everything in English. I don't get it and doubt there's anything I can do to fix this. Maybe it's because I have Belgium set to my location and it picks French because of that? No idea.

n9gfJNJ.png

I have the same thing on my console. The pop up is in English, but when I check the game hub everything is in German. I guess it ignores your language setting and just goes by location.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
I need people to play MP, all the friends i had back on the 360 days only got a ps4 and are deep in destiny and overwatch, im playing on PC, my gamertag is the same as my username here

pitchfork

I am so SO fucking happy with this game!!!

Been a Gears fan since day one and this has been my most anticipated title since it was announced, and I was a little worried I might have overhyped myself a bit, but nope! its fantastic!

Only halfway through the campaign but Love the new characters (Kait's my favourite), looks stunning, new weapons are awesome, Horde is better than ever and the MP maps are great!

I salute you Rod & co : )

pitchfork

I also forgot to mention I had a bounty that required 1-50 Hordemode which grants 200 credits...

For 3 hours....

I don't even. I mean, if the cosmetics was like super awesome, maybe, but in 8 hours play time the only box I ever purchased and spent all my credits on, gave a character a tiny assflap and nothing else changed. That's kinda infuriating.

Made me chuckle : )

Yeah, they definitely need to up the payout significantly

Theorry

MP is really really good. Played it alot now.

Two things need to be tweaked tho.

- Credits you get from playing needs to be increased
- Allow bigger squads in social play and not limit it to two. Kills the social thing about it really
- Maybe a third one wich will always will be a debate. But imo they should allow PC players crossplay in social play. Will help the pc players alot and i as a console player wouldnt mind it at all. The controller vs mouse is way less of a factor imo in Gears

But overall the MP feels really good. More fluid with the added mechanics. 60fps helps alot offcourse and way less bs then in other Gears because of the dedi servers. Game feels balanced also gunwise and i must say i quite like all the maps so far. Doesnt happen alot. Really happy also with that the DLC maps will be free. Really hate the split community crap that happens with alot of games. Oh yeah. Dodgeball is just awesome. That comp feeling with that little bit of casual touch. Really cool.

Xater

- Allow bigger squads in social play and not limit it to two. Kills the social thing about it really

There is a very good reason not to do this. People in this playlist want o play casually. As soon as you allow bigger squads you will just get stomping parties. 5 people that come together to crush some noobs. It would kill what that playlist is for.

Theorry

There is a very good reason not to do this. People in this playlist want o play casually. As soon as you allow bigger squads you will just get stomping parties. 5 people that come together to crush some noobs. It would kill what that playlist is for.

But this solution isnt good also. Like someone said before make a mode like Mercenary then. Where you solo queue. Because i want to play casually also sometimes with friends. I shouldnt be denied that and forced to play Ranked wich are always sweaty.

nOoblet16

Finding the campaign a bit disappointing. Gears 2 was amazing campaign wise because they improved so much over Gears 1 and at the same time you covered so many locales. Here all encounters seem like they drag too long.

For instance in chapter 1 you are told the goal is to get in and you spend most of the time listening to your characters about how they are nearly there while entering a new room/area with "oh shit enemies". Fighting DeeBees felt a bit dragged out considering how much you fight them.

There's also the fact that they bought some stuff from Judgement i.e. do mini Horde mode in campaign which I really dislike (It's because I don't enjoy horde mode in general). Having a wave based encounter on top of what seems to be a simplistic move, stop, fight, repeat encounter design makes it a bit disappointing for me.

Finding the campaign a bit disappointing. Gears 2 was amazing campaign wise because they improved so much over Gears 1 and at the same time you covered so many locales. Here all encounters seem like they drag too long.

For instance in chapter 1 you are told the goal is to get in and you spend most of the time listening to your characters about how they are nearly there while entering a new room/area with "oh shit enemies". Fighting DeeBees felt a bit dragged out considering how much you fight them.

There's also the fact that they bought some stuff from Judgement i.e. do mini Horde mode in campaign which I really dislike (It's because I don't enjoy horde mode in general). Having a wave based encounter on top of what seems to be a simplistic move, stop, fight, repeat encounter design makes it a bit disappointing for me.

How far in are you?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The drop rate is trash. They really want you to buy those packs.

I'm lucky I got a rare skin out of one of the free boxes, destroyed it and bought Cole instead so that's me pretty much done anyway.

MarveI

Someone asked this a couple pages back about repairing fortifications in horde you can repair the turret just go to the fabricator access its inventory then click RB tot he weapons section and as long as you have 5000 credits in the fabricator you can buy the repair weapon. This will replace your snub pistol (down on D-pad) and you will have it as long as you do not die (when you die you'll have to buy it again). And you can only repair as long as there are enough credits in the fabricator.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Played execution, social and a bit of horde last night.

Tons of fun, despite not knowing the maps at all and not having my controls dialed in. mostly followed teammates around.

Horde was great but 3 people left after wave 10. Weird seeing monsters and robots in a gears game.

My biggest complaint is the loading time. Wtf! It took so long for horde to load I thought my game froze.

nOoblet16

People with elite controller. What kind of custom mappings are you using?

Usually when I map something I base them on actions rather than buttons so that's how I memorise. In Halo 5 I've assigned the crouch, grenade, boost and reload to the paddles so that I never have to take my thumbs off the analogues. I'm usually fine trying new controls and learning then quickly so I'd like to map running to the paddles but I'm not sure if nearly 10 years of muscle memory with Gears if going to go away.

Xater

Usually when I map something I base them on actions rather than buttons so that's how I memorise. In Halo 5 I've assigned the crouch, grenade, boost and reload to the paddles so that I never have to take my thumbs off the analogues. I'm usually fine trying new controls and learning then quickly so I'd like to map running to the paddles but I'm not sure if nearly 10 years of muscle memory with Gears if going to go away.

I don't use the paddles at all. I just use the Tournament layout where running and cover is on LB.

Novocaine

Heh. Funny we were talking the "missing" skins cause I opened my first loot box from coins and got
Armored Baird.

When I got home I decided to dump some cash on 5 boxes and try for
Cole
. 5th box and I got the skin! Now I don't need any other skins.

Anyone else have crazy long load times on Horde mode?

I can play multiplayer no problem and campaign, but every time I load horde mode it takes 5 minutes or so to load. Then when it finally comes up someone has already quit.

pitchfork

I just got my first Elite controller (the gears one)

I love it to bits, but still getting used to the paddles, so far I've just mapped the shoulder buttons to 2 of them. Definitely better for the active reloads

cyber_ninja

Got a message from Xbl last night. I'm not into mp, so i decided to give it away.

Thanks for being a loyal Gears of War fan! Here's a code to unlock an Operations Gear Pack in Gears of War 4, out 10/11/2016. Redeem on Xbox One or Xbox.com/redeemcode by 12/31/2016. 77W9C-FFVK4-DCHMK-G939D-F797Z

mcrommert

Banned
Played execution, social and a bit of horde last night.

Tons of fun, despite not knowing the maps at all and not having my controls dialed in. mostly followed teammates around.

Horde was great but 3 people left after wave 10. Weird seeing monsters and robots in a gears game.

My biggest complaint is the loading time. Wtf! It took so long for horde to load I thought my game froze.

Okay robots I get...but what do you call all the lambent from gears 3 horde...one of them was a huge tentacle monster thing

Just two paddles for me. Any more confuses my old brain.

Default controller scheme. I have A on the left and B on the right.

I stick the longer paddles in the top two slots as that's where they feel the best for me. Trigger locks on also.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I only use two paddles as I just can't handle four.

Right paddle for run/cover and left for melee.

3DShovel

I use all four paddles.

Top left -> melee
Top right -> run
Bottom left -> mapped to X to pickup weapons
Bottom right -> mapped to shotgun weapon switch

The only thing I reach off the analog sticks for is to switch to a weapon other than the gnasher. And having the two top paddles as run/slide + melee means you can vault over cover very easily by clicking slide->melee in quick succession.

EDIT: Gotta stop playing KOTH by myself now. Tired of carrying my whole team only to lose after a long match.

Tecnniqe

Banned
they need to add to the OT all the skins and characters dlc and how to obtain

You mean a list like this?

* All pre-orders come with the Brothers to the End Elite Gear Pack which includes: Tomorrow Anya, Old Man Marcus, Zombie Dom and Gold Wave Lancer and Gnasher

UK
- Microsoft Store - £10 Microsoft Store voucher
- Xbox - Vintage Del character skin, emblem, two Vintage weapon skins and Vintage Del bounty
- GAME - Vintage Reyna, Vintage Del, Hot Rod Gnasher, Black Walnut Gnasher, Marcus Tattoo Gnasher, Outsider Lancer, Foam Lancer Weapon and fifteen bounty cards.

US
- Gamestop - Vintage Del, Hot Rod Gnasher, Foam Lancer, six bounty cards and Physical Gear Pack (including Vintage Reyna)
- Amazon - Vintage Del, Warbird Gnasher and three bounty cards
- Microsoft Store - $10 Xbox Gift Card
- Best Buy - $10 Best Buy reward, Vintage Del, Black Walnut Gnasher skin, three bounty cards Gears of War Mug and Coaster (Gamer's club Only, available separately also)
- Target - Vintage Del, Marcus Tattoo Gnasher and three bounty cards
- Xbox - Vintage Del character skin, emblem, two Vintage weapon skins and Vintage Del bounty
- Walmart - Vintage Del, Outsider Lancer skin and three bounty cards

CA
- Amazon - Vintage Del, Warbird Gnasher and three bounty cards.
- Best Buy - Vintage Del, Wooden Walnut Gnasher, three bounty cards and a free GoW Funko
- EB Games - Vintage Del, Vintage Reyna, Hot Rod Gnasher, Foam Lancer and three bounty cards
- Microsoft Store - $10 Store Credit

NZ
- Mightyape - Gears of War 4 T-shirt, Gears of War 4 poster and a GoW Funko (Funko only available with the Ultimate edition)

ES
- GAME - Gears of War 4 neck windbreaker, Vintage Del, Vintage Reyna, Hot Rod Gnasher and bountys.

https://rankedboost.com/gears-of-war-4/skins/

* All pre-orders come with the Brothers to the End Elite Gear Pack which includes: Tomorrow Anya, Old Man Marcus, Zombie Dom and Gold Wave Lancer and Gnasher

UK
- GAME - Vintage Reyna, Vintage Del, Hot Rod Gnasher, Black Walnut Gnasher, Marcus Tattoo Gnasher, Outsider Lancer, Foam Lancer Weapon and fifteen bounty cards.

US
- Gamestop - Vintage Del, Hot Rod Gnasher, Foam Lancer, six bounty cards and Physical Gear Pack (including Vintage Reyna)
- Best Buy - $10 Best Buy reward, Vintage Del, Black Walnut Gnasher skin, three bounty cards Gears of War Mug and Coaster (Gamer's club Only, available separately also)

CA
- Best Buy - Vintage Del, Wooden Walnut Gnasher, three bounty cards and a free GoW Funko
- EB Games - Vintage Del, Vintage Reyna, Hot Rod Gnasher, Foam Lancer and three bounty cards

NZ
- Mightyape - Gears of War 4 T-shirt, Gears of War 4 poster and a GoW Funko (Funko only available with the Ultimate edition)

ES
- GAME - Gears of War 4 neck windbreaker, Vintage Del, Vintage Reyna, Hot Rod Gnasher and bountys.

you are fucking awesome

UK

US

CA

NZ

ES

I didn't even know they were doing retailer exclusives again. Eh.

Got my standard edition this morning in the post from Simply Games. Four days early isn't too shabby.

Top Bottom