• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

will the season pass contain story dlc like gears 3 did? if not i dont know why i would buy it
new maps will be in and out of rotation and ill be able to play on any if invited by a person who does own them, correct?

Correct.

I don't think ive heard anything about campaign DLC either

i got my actual copy of the game today. i have the codes for Gears 1-Judgment to give away. I'll PM to first to quote with what they want

Edit: Judgment, 1 AND 3 are taken

still have Gears 2 for anoyone interested

Dubz

Playing MP on PC just feels wrong. I mean it runs fine and all, but playing with a M/KB just feels plain weird. I really have to get my X1 back from my friend so that I can play on the definitive platform...:):):)

daman824

I really wish characters were unlocked through leveling up, and the skins were what you got with loot boxes/credits. As it is now, it's going to be forever before I unlock all the characters I want

Kalentan

How often do you guys win in Versus?

I have a .25 win percentage in ranked and 0 win percentage in unranked...

It's so hard to win cause even if my team wins one round in TDM, we ALWAYS lose the third round.

N7.Angel

Lots of issues with this game at the moment. I'm disappointed in The Coalition.

My brightness settings have yet to save in this game.

Apparently there is a serious shotgun inconsistency problem which would explain a lot of frustration of mine during shotty battles. https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums/e9b54fc61eb74ad783d533ca502b0132/threads/bug-gears-of-war-4-shotgun-inconsistencies-w-video-proof-of-shotgun-shots-not-registering/fa691da5-1e44-48ca-8d6f-e3cb1ea6482e/posts

Aesthetically, some of these skins are absolutely disgusting and an eyesore, does not fit Gears at all. It's sad. I am really really hoping they add more characters; the Gears universe has so many characters, even adding the locust would help. The small things like the lack of victory speech or defeat in multiplayer each round; really is a drag. Characters seem otherwise neutered, quiet, and lacking personality in MP. The loot box system is ridiculous, and the fact that you don't unlock characters via leveling in MP is also a bummer. Gears 1 UE did this gracefully. Seems like a lot is virtually behind a paywall, even Horde abilities.

I'm a huge fan of the series, and the game is great, but as a fan, there are so many blatant missteps that don't make any sense to me.

Yeah the game has real issues in MP, I think complaints will be more important when more people will play for a long time, I don't understand how they can fucked up with the great beta they had, I can't understand it.

Theorry

Apparently there is a serious shotgun inconsistency problem which would explain a lot of frustration of mine during shotty battles. https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums/e9b54fc61eb74ad783d533ca502b0132/threads/bug-gears-of-war-4-shotgun-inconsistencies-w-video-proof-of-shotgun-shots-not-registering/fa691da5-1e44-48ca-8d6f-e3cb1ea6482e/posts

Aesthetically, some of these skins are absolutely disgusting and an eyesore, does not fit Gears at all. It's sad. I am really really hoping they add more characters; the Gears universe has so many characters, even adding the locust would help. The small things like the lack of victory speech or defeat in multiplayer each round; really is a drag. Characters seem otherwise neutered, quiet, and lacking personality in MP. The loot box system is ridiculous, and the fact that you don't unlock characters via leveling in MP is also a bummer. Gears 1 UE did this gracefully. Seems like a lot is virtually behind a paywall, even Horde abilities.

I'm a huge fan of the series, and the game is great, but as a fan, there are so many blatant missteps that don't make any sense to me.

Hmm have a different opinion on that. Love the skins and dont notice they quiet. They are talking all the time for me.

Playing MP on PC just feels wrong. I mean it runs fine and all, but playing with a M/KB just feels plain weird. I really have to get my X1 back from my friend so that I can play on the definitive platform...:):):)

Couldn't disagree more at the moment. After playing a few hours with kb/m, gears to me feels better than its ever been. Aiming doesn't feel handicapped using a mouse and once you get the hang of the movement, it feels just about perfect to me.

Kalentan

Honestly think I'm going to stop playing MP till launch day. Sorry but there is just nothing fun losing game after game and knowing you get shit rewards for losing.

Strootman

There's always a shotgun inconsistency problem in every gears. I'll wait to play the game before judging.

I agree about the skins tho, some of them are disgusting and don't fit the gears tone. But this is an old argument.

Xater

Loved the campaign. It's my favorite Gears campaign. The new characters are very likable, they have some great fanservice, the emotional stuff works better than it ever did at Epic and they vary up the gameplay well with some amazing sequences.

Les

Banned
Loved the campaign. It's my favorite Gears campaign. The new characters are very likable, they have some great fanservice, the emotional stuff works better than it ever did at Epic and they vary up the gameplay well with some amazing sequences.

I agree. Campaign is fantastic.

I know it's the oldest excuse in the Gears of War book, but there's definitely something a little funky with the shotgun sometimes.

The Coalition forums post does confirm some of my suspicions.

I think the ranking system needs some tweaks. I would just do the old quick and ranked split. Competitive players don't need their own special tuning. Fuck em.

Les

Banned
I think the ranking system needs some tweaks. I would just do the old quick and ranked split. Competitive players don't need their own special tuning. Fuck em.

I think the different tuning is absolute horseshit.

In case some of you don't know, the shotgun has a different strength and range in CORE gamemodes and COMPETITIVE gamemodes.

so if you like playing Dodgeball, but then switch to Execution later on w friends, your gun will not work the same.

I think it's incredibly stupid. All this "e-sports" pandering is out of control.

nOoblet16

I really hate the Gnasher RNG. You know when I hit someone point blank in the back and they don't go down. Just... Fucking A.

Won my first match in TDM ranked and lost the next 4. Always against pre-mades or just one player solely dominating the entire team. Feels like they took tips from Naughty Dog in terms of matchmaking balance.

I remember once some guy posted gif of how he hit people point blank and instead got killed, then people pointed out that he either only had half the reticule over the enemy or the bullets hit below the waist.

It's been my experience that anytime someone says that, something like that is happening. Unless the match is laggy.

In case some of you don't know, the shotgun has a different strength and range in CORE gamemodes and COMPETITIVE gamemodes.

so if you like playing Dodgeball, but then switch to Execution later on w friends, your gun will not work the same.

I think it's incredibly stupid. All this "e-sports" pandering is out of control.

They make up like .000000001% of the population and get their own damn playlist. Just put the tuning options in the private match settings and you're good.

3DShovel

It seems like the matchmaking system in this game is broke. Feels like I'm always getting teamed against groups of players when I'm matching solo. Frustrating.

My W/L is getting fucked so bad. It's lame playing KOTH with people who don't hit the circle...

It seems like the matchmaking system in this game is broke. Feels like I'm always getting teamed against groups of players when I'm matching solo. Frustrating.

My W/L is getting fucked so bad. It's lame playing KOTH with people who don't hit the circle...

Don't play objective based gametypes without a group if you wanna guarantee a better time.

wait... WUT?

What is the difference? Why would they do that?

3DShovel

Don't play objective based gametypes without a group if you wanna guarantee a better time.

I played UE all the time solo and always did just fine. It's just that I'm assuming there's new blood joining this time around and they're all coming from sucking sack at Overwatch or something.

wait... WUT?

I think the shotgun is stronger in competitive but I forgot so take that with a grain of salt.

However, I do know that another change is that the weapons have less aim assist

Eggbok

I've been playing tdm all day, are there only like 4 maps?
And if I play Gridlock one more damn time......

francis-unboxing-a-plbgbaq.gif

Les

Banned
wait... WUT?

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/developerblog/2/gears4versus

they did it because e-sports, or some shit.

I assure you that anyone that plays gears competitively like myself thinks this is a very bad idea.

Octus: Thanks for joining us to talk about the gameplay based improvements made since Beta Ryan! Let’s start off with this pretty substantial change for Versus Multiplayer - how did the team come to the decision to have the two separate tuning setups?

Ryan Cleven: It really started with our Escalation reveal at the Gears eSports Season 2 Finals. Prior to the match, we held a real-time feedback session with the 10 participating pro players to ask what they felt they needed for Gears of War 4 to shine in a professional environment. We tuned weapons with them late into the night, and it provided us a lot of insight into what we need to do to really deliver on a high-end team-based competitive experience. We took what worked from the playtest and refined it further back at the Coalition. We brought a second set of 10 pros up to the studio to try it out, and the response was great. However, we found that what the serious competitive players wanted and what the core Gears players wanted were too different to try to make a single tuning set.

Rather than trying to please everyone and end up pleasing no one, we decided that we would split the tuning into two sets, Core and Competitive. We want Gears fans to be able to play the game that we all know and love while simultaneously ensuring we provide a Competitive experience that can stand up to coordinated team based play at the highest level. This way, we hope Gears fans will be happy in being able to choose the experience they want to play, and really hone their abilities in an environment that takes more than just individual skill to excel in. Players can move between the tuning sets and their skills will still transfer between the two. The less lethal Competitive Settings mean landing consistent shots, making smart decisions and coordinating as a team become more important, but the fundamentals of the game are still the same. This approach also provides a clear step of progression for players looking to take their skills to the next level.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/developerblog/2/gears4versus

they did it because e-sports, or some shit.

I assure you that anyone that plays gears competitively like myself thinks this is a very bad idea.

Octus: Thanks for joining us to talk about the gameplay based improvements made since Beta Ryan! Let’s start off with this pretty substantial change for Versus Multiplayer - how did the team come to the decision to have the two separate tuning setups?

Ryan Cleven: It really started with our Escalation reveal at the Gears eSports Season 2 Finals. Prior to the match, we held a real-time feedback session with the 10 participating pro players to ask what they felt they needed for Gears of War 4 to shine in a professional environment. We tuned weapons with them late into the night, and it provided us a lot of insight into what we need to do to really deliver on a high-end team-based competitive experience. We took what worked from the playtest and refined it further back at the Coalition. We brought a second set of 10 pros up to the studio to try it out, and the response was great. However, we found that what the serious competitive players wanted and what the core Gears players wanted were too different to try to make a single tuning set.

Rather than trying to please everyone and end up pleasing no one, we decided that we would split the tuning into two sets, Core and Competitive. We want Gears fans to be able to play the game that we all know and love while simultaneously ensuring we provide a Competitive experience that can stand up to coordinated team based play at the highest level. This way, we hope Gears fans will be happy in being able to choose the experience they want to play, and really hone their abilities in an environment that takes more than just individual skill to excel in. Players can move between the tuning sets and their skills will still transfer between the two. The less lethal Competitive Settings mean landing consistent shots, making smart decisions and coordinating as a team become more important, but the fundamentals of the game are still the same. This approach also provides a clear step of progression for players looking to take their skills to the next level.

this is fucking stupid and now I'm not excited to play MP.

ugh

What a dumb idea. Learning your way around the weapons and letting them become a 2nd nature skill is paramount. Messing with their behavior is a completely asinine thing to do.

Just finished Act 3, great campaign so far.

Can't wait to see more tomorrow!

Edit - When I get round to multi, I will be pissed if it's soon a wasteland on PC due to not allowing crossplay with Xbox.

Xater

The different tuning doesn't bother me. I have no interest in playing the e-sports modes anyway.

BTW if that achievement of getting 1000 credits doesn't count the ones you get from level up, then that means I had to play 6 hours of Versus for 1k. That is ridiculous.

Call me crazy but I think that the Gears1 UE is the most balanced Gears game.

I totally forgot about UE. That's definitely up there too, though you could say it's simpler game. No loadouts, fewer power weapons, no heavy weapons, etc.

I agree though, UE is great.

Despite the odd annoyance, I think it's probably the best balanced game in the mainline series (an argument could be made for Judgment however).
Yup, super balanced and maps are balanced around it. Gridlock is a very shitty map though I hate how they keep bringing that back. Where is Jacinto, River, Pavilion, Blood drive.
Call me crazy but I think that the Gears1 UE is the most balanced Gears game.
Yes you are crazy, as tuned as the game is it still has gears of war 1 inconsistency in its dna

Top Bottom