• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

The credit system really is unacceptable at the moment.

Speaking of which, here's an issue I have: I pre-ordered the UE both digitally on XBL and a physical copy at Best Buy. The digital version had all of the UE goodies like the bonus crates etc., which I opened. I then entered my pre-order code from Best Buy, thinking that I would get more of the bonus crates, and got nothing except a Black Walnut Gnasher skin out of it.

Returning that physical copy unopened as soon as I get it (which I haven't yet, even though it was supposed to be release date delivery, because Best Buy...but that's another whole issue.)

Essentially I'm not a happy customer at all right now.

Why is the MP so gooooood. This is gonna take alot of free time.
They just did what 343 did Halo 5 MP. Bringing maybe the best MP yet of the series.

Agreed. Started at 12.30pm yesterday. Turned it off at 1am today. Brought me right back to the old geow1 days.

Sure, there were server issues, but all the old clan were back together and loving it!

B00TE

Haven't even touched the story yet. Really enjoying all the co-op options. Game is just so satisfying, on so many levels.

JimiNutz

Banned
Glad to hear that they've done a good job with the multiplayer and hope any server issues are resolved in time for the real launch on Tuesday.

How is the skill based matchmaking. Does it seem to match people of similar skill level?

Theorry

Glad to hear that they've done a good job with the multiplayer and hope any server issues are resolved in time for the real launch on Tuesday.

How is the skill based matchmaking. Does it seem to match people of similar skill level?

Server are already pretty good now. Especially after the last patch from a couple of hours. Still can be abit better.
Ranking is fine for me also. No walk overs or getting destroyed when i had a placement.

Soo..... yeah. Nearing the end of Chapter 2. Huge Gears fan here. I always go in to these games blind -- not reading reviews, impressions, or watching gameplay videos.

Bottom line? I like it, but so far, I don't love it.

VERY minor story/character SPOILERS FOLLOW. As I Said, I'm only on chapter 2.

Am I playing a Gears Of War game, or fucking Binary Domain: Gears Edition? The "deebs" are okay to fight but it's getting really redundant now. Waves and waves of these assholes. Where is the gore? Where is the atmosphere? Where are the executions that in past GEARS games made me stand up and cheer? Where is the hilarious banter between characters? Where is the shit talking towards the enemies ("bring it, asshole!", "that all you got!?"). Where are the new super-fidelity chainsaw executions? Shit looks good, but I'm not really impressed.

I don't particularly like the new characters, and Oscar wasn't charming, he was an obnoxious D-bag. I do like JD's voice acting but as a character he seems wimpy. The only time this game has really felt like Gears to me was when Marcus showed up and chainsawed the fuck out of that annoying female robot with the glasses.

High points? Gunplay is as good as ever. Game looks great, graphically. I dunno bro's. I really want to love this game but so far I'm just not feeling it. It's a Gears game without the Gears soul, so far.

It's about to pick up. Stick with it.

(Though I thought Act Two was great myself)

RedStep

Speaking of which, here's an issue I have: I pre-ordered the UE both digitally on XBL and a physical copy at Best Buy. The digital version had all of the UE goodies like the bonus crates etc., which I opened. I then entered my pre-order code from Best Buy, thinking that I would get more of the bonus crates, and got nothing except a Black Walnut Gnasher skin out of it.

Returning that physical copy unopened as soon as I get it (which I haven't yet, even though it was supposed to be release date delivery, because Best Buy...but that's another whole issue.)

Aside from the credit situation, why are you unhappy? The pre-order bonus from BB is just the Black Walnut skin and things you already have (Dombie, Anya, etc). Technically you do have "2" of them, but they won't do anything. The UE bonuses are all on the code inside the case, which probably can't be duplicated anyway.

pizzacat

Banned
Why is the MP so gooooood. This is gonna take alot of free time.
They just did what 343 did Halo 5 MP. Bringing maybe the best MP yet of the series.
Kinda not enjoying the maps

They're huge! Like courtyard and Nowhere huge and not drydock or all fathers garden huge

What I mean is there's a lot of space in between these maps and not much tight areas.

I still love it tho

Theorry

Kinda not enjoying the maps

They're huge! Like courtyard and Nowhere huge and not drydock or all fathers garden huge

What I mean is there's a lot of space in between these maps and not much tight areas.

I still love it tho

Hmm kinda like it. Gives me some more room for being support with the Lancer.

pizzacat

Banned
Hmm kinda like it. Gives me some more room for being support with the Lancer.
I would have been okay with that is stopping power was still in, that really drives the message home to stick in cover really

But at the same time you can view the pre active as the answer to that.

Idk yet, I need more games in me.

I don't like some of the changes to weapons, markza isn't what it used to be, I liked hammerburst as a one shot gun and not the burst it's supposed to be :p

How do you like the craft system?

Theorry

I would have been okay with that is stopping power was still in, that really drives the message home to stick in cover really

But at the same time you can view the pre active as the answer to that.

Idk yet, I need more games in me.

I don't like some of the changes to weapons, markza isn't what it used to be, I liked hammerburst as a one shot gun and not the burst it's supposed to be :p

How do you like the craft system?

Need to play with it more to see. But at first look i think its pretty good system like Hearthstone. Not sure if some scraps give enough. But i like the idea of it that you can choose yourself what you want.

AlanOC91

How long does Horde Mode last? Did my first ever Horde Mode on Normal and finished wave 30 but I had to quit to do something. It was going on forever! Must have spent 2 hours on it.

Man, 3 randoms and I went all the way to wave 40 normal, just to have 2 of them quit, what a damn waste of an evening.

Normal is harder than I thought, lol.

Dubz

Still have never found a Dodgeball match on PC. Looks like I'll have to play MP on the Xbox One, but my friend is currently borrowing it.

nOoblet16

Ok the only problem I'm having with the campaign and I've had it since the start (as I mentioned earlier in the thread) is that it uses the carrot at the end of the stick a bit too much. I understand everything can be considered a carrot at the end of the stick until the finish line but it's always go through an entire act to get to that place that squadmates keep talking about. And when you do there is little payoff before switching to another carrot, and while at it it throws those mini horde modes at you.

There's a point in act 5 where I was like "finally we get here" only for me to see one squadmates entering while others stay out and I'm like come on the game can't make this padding so obvious by having another mini horde mode right here after this long ass carrot chase...and then the squadmates who was inside comes out with a fabricator and I shake my head.

Apart from that some of the set pieces are great also the music and visuals are amazing.

Edit: Ok that was a good payoff ultimately.

Moofers

YO! GOT CHARACTER CODES?

I've seen a lot of people asking how to get the extra characters from promos and whatnot. All you do is enter your codes on the Microsoft store and they will be selectable in the game. No extra downloads or anything. Zombie JD and I think Zombie Dom are both UP from where you start by default. Rather than start you at the top and having you scroll down, they start you in the middle of the list for some reason.

Hope that helps!

And yeah, Normal horde is hard as balls when you are short on people and/or classes. I got to Wave 29 last night with 2 other people. They were both Snipers and I was an Engineer. We did pick up a Soldier when my buddy showed up at wave 26 or so but he literally just started the game and had no idea what to do.

So without a Scout to earn twice the amount for power collected, we were having a hard time affording the turrets we needed to cover our side of the map that wasn't being watched constantly. It was a lot of me running back and forth while my Snipers stayed where they had the best angles. Really REALLY fun but it got very hard even on Normal. I think in a month we'd be better off as we'll all know the rules and have more abilities, but at this stage it was tough!

Kalentan

So there is literally no reason to play ranked at the moment.

1. It pairs you against people who are already placed, even if you yourself aren't.
2. There is no split between solo queue and pre-mades. So i just had an trio pre-made against my team of all Solos. Not really fair at all.

Also the fact that I can't queue up for specifically Team Deathmatch or Warzone Social is really dumb. Who thought Social Quickplay was a good idea? Find them and fire them.

Dubz

There's too many modes in MP which splits up the user base. The only non social match I can ever get a match in is TDM. Obviously it will be better on Tuesday, but for how long?

Social matchmaking takes seconds to get a game, and everything else times out for me on PC... Minus the 2 TDM games I got to play.

JB1981

I have a question - I bought the Play Anywhere UE and planned on playing the game on PC but just might get an XBone. Will the game just appear as a purchased download on the Xbox Store once I'm up and running on XBone ?

This is only 2 player coop? What? Why? Who fucked up?

Because they wanted to get back to the feel of gears 1/2....Which to some of us, was really good news!

But in reality they completely fail to get back to that vibe, there was no reason why it couldn't of been 3 player co-op at least.

blakep267

It could be like Halo 5. You can only buy one arena/war zone premium req bundle thing. So maybe you can only do 1 of the gears preorder bundle stuff

The bonus crates are a part of the ultimate edition though. You don't get any for preordering. if that physical copy is for someone else they would definitely get the crates. I don't know if it would double up on your account though because there wasn't a download or anything for it. I'm pretty sure it's just tied to your account. If it recognizes you as having the ultimate already I don't see how it would just give you the crates from the second one. I'd return it and just use the money to buy the crates directly if that's what you want.

Theorry

I have a question - I bought the Play Anywhere UE and planned on playing the game on PC but just might get an XBone. Will the game just appear as a purchased download on the Xbox Store once I'm up and running on XBone ?

Yeah. Its probably gonne be in the ready to install section ones you log in with the same account.

This is like saying "ok I'll never play Uncharted 4 since it's not coming to steam. fuck u scea"

Such an absolutely ridiculously stupid mindset from some people. Why would anyone else give a shit about whether or not he plays the game? It's his loss only. I wonder if steam gives out medals or something for its users that refuse to buy from other storefronts.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
It's possible to use a controller to play competitive matches online in the PC version? If so, does that put you at a severe disadvantage against mouse users?

nOoblet16

Because they wanted to get back to the feel of gears 1/2....Which to some of us, was really good news!

But in reality they completely fail to get back to that vibe, there was no reason why it couldn't of been 3 player co-op at least.
Yea makes no sense to have 3 people in a squad and only 2 player coop.

"Loading Map" for 5 minutes before timing out saying "Unable to connect to a server for this game."
I hope this issue is resolved soon.

Lucifon

I have no problem buying packs of things but the prices of these things seems insane. You earn nothing for a match. The cheapest pack is 400 and there's a challenge card to do wave 1-50 as a heavy - that's hours of play just for 200 credits. They seriously need to adjust the cost of them including the real money cost which is about twice as much as they all should be.

Detox

It's possible to use a controller to play competitive matches online in the PC version? If so, does that put you at a severe disadvantage against mouse users?
I don't think there will be a severe disadvantage if controller users get auto aim. Not sure if they do, but I think it's likely there is autoaim.

Soo..... yeah. Nearing the end of Chapter 2. Huge Gears fan here. I always go in to these games blind -- not reading reviews, impressions, or watching gameplay videos.

Bottom line? I like it, but so far, I don't love it.

VERY minor story/character SPOILERS FOLLOW. As I Said, I'm only on chapter 2.

Am I playing a Gears Of War game, or fucking Binary Domain: Gears Edition? The "deebs" are okay to fight but it's getting really redundant now. Waves and waves of these assholes. Where is the gore? Where is the atmosphere? Where are the executions that in past GEARS games made me stand up and cheer? Where is the hilarious banter between characters? Where is the shit talking towards the enemies ("bring it, asshole!", "that all you got!?"). Where are the new super-fidelity chainsaw executions? Shit looks good, but I'm not really impressed.

I don't particularly like the new characters, and Oscar wasn't charming, he was an obnoxious D-bag. I do like JD's voice acting but as a character he seems wimpy. The only time this game has really felt like Gears to me was when Marcus showed up and chainsawed the fuck out of that annoying female robot with the glasses.

High points? Gunplay is as good as ever. Game looks great, graphically. I dunno bro's. I really want to love this game but so far I'm just not feeling it. It's a Gears game without the Gears soul, so far.

I pretty much totally agree with all of this. Chapter 3 is more what I was looking for but right now it hasn't really gripped me like past Gears campaigns.

They really needed to introduce the Swarm earlier and then only use DeeBees as a palette cleanser. 2 straight chapters of nothing but robots was too much.

Top Bottom