• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Gnasher has shorter range in Competitive modes.

Ah yes that;s what it was. According to the blog linked above it seems the time to kill is a bit longer in competitive which makes sense

Why does there need to be an online playlist for 'pros'. Don't they play via LAN anyway?

just because it's a competitive playlist, doesn't mean it's only for pros. These are official tournament gametypes, so tons of people will play in it. Remember when Halo had an MLG playlist?

Even though the weapon tuning being different doesn't bother me, I'd prefer the competitive settings be used across the board. Although if you're playing social solo, having a faster kill time may make things a bit easier on you.

not sure why MS is pushing the esports thing when it doesn't seem to be happening naturally. Halo5 had the same push if i remember correctly.

lolwut

Halo was one of the biggest console esports. For Gears though, the scene was community-driven with no involvement from MS/Epic, but that's changing now. And its better for it, because now the scene can get more exposure and larger prize pools

Voliko

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/developerblog/2/gears4versus

they did it because e-sports, or some shit.

I assure you that anyone that plays gears competitively like myself thinks this is a very bad idea.

Octus: Thanks for joining us to talk about the gameplay based improvements made since Beta Ryan! Let’s start off with this pretty substantial change for Versus Multiplayer - how did the team come to the decision to have the two separate tuning setups?

Ryan Cleven: It really started with our Escalation reveal at the Gears eSports Season 2 Finals. Prior to the match, we held a real-time feedback session with the 10 participating pro players to ask what they felt they needed for Gears of War 4 to shine in a professional environment. We tuned weapons with them late into the night, and it provided us a lot of insight into what we need to do to really deliver on a high-end team-based competitive experience. We took what worked from the playtest and refined it further back at the Coalition. We brought a second set of 10 pros up to the studio to try it out, and the response was great. However, we found that what the serious competitive players wanted and what the core Gears players wanted were too different to try to make a single tuning set.

Rather than trying to please everyone and end up pleasing no one, we decided that we would split the tuning into two sets, Core and Competitive. We want Gears fans to be able to play the game that we all know and love while simultaneously ensuring we provide a Competitive experience that can stand up to coordinated team based play at the highest level. This way, we hope Gears fans will be happy in being able to choose the experience they want to play, and really hone their abilities in an environment that takes more than just individual skill to excel in. Players can move between the tuning sets and their skills will still transfer between the two. The less lethal Competitive Settings mean landing consistent shots, making smart decisions and coordinating as a team become more important, but the fundamentals of the game are still the same. This approach also provides a clear step of progression for players looking to take their skills to the next level.
wtf. I am positive that if they used a single set of parameters (competetive), no one would actually care.

The shotgun in the beta felt really good to me. Like gears 3 but a bit more powerful. Have things changed?

Why does there need to be an online playlist for 'pros'. Don't they play via LAN anyway?

The need for a pro playlist is to help the amateur players trying to become pros. Typically, pro teams scrim other pro teams leaving amateur players to just search in matchmaking because it's more difficult for them to find scrims. The amateurs need a place where they can consistently play on pro settings to prepare for open LAN events.

I don't mind the 2 different settings between competitive and core. Halo did it with the MLG playlist for years.

just because it's a competitive playlist, doesn't mean it's only for pros. These are official tournament gametypes, so tons of people will play in it. Remember when Halo had an MLG playlist?

I got no idea TBH, I couldn't tell you a pro players name or team for any game.

But it's the masses who ultimately make a game popular, and those should be looked after first. Splitting playlists up is just dumb.

They should have tuned the game so every mode plays the same, whether you are a noob like me or a 'pro'.

And if the have split it, they should at least let PC gamers play with Xbox in the noob playlist or whatever it's called. IMO.

Then dont play with them. What the fuck yall act like yall forced to use them. Guess you getting mad getting head shot by a gun with purple flowers eh?

I haven't even played the multi yet. I wouldn't use the silly guns myself but it still looks crap when others are. It spoils the mood of the game IMO.

Also what's with all the pink guns and shit. They look fucking stupid.

Gears should be dark and gritty and gory, always.

I completely agree, but we are the minority. Art/context consistency and integrity to the game is unimportant and even undesirable to a lot of people.

I personally can't fathom why, but people will be people.

Xater

I completely agree, but we are the minority. Art/context consistency and integrity to the game is unimportant and undesirable to most people.

I personally can't fathom why, but people will be people.

I don't care about it in MP. Give me all the dumb skins.

It's all about the character skins for me. I'm currently saving up for Armoured Marcus and the
Elite Scion
(it's not really a spoiler, but just for the ultra sensitive).

Playing horde with strangers is hopeless. Had some asshole that sucked terrible but instead of quitting the shithead grabbed the box and put it in a different part of the map and there was nothing we could do.

The shotgun that shoots when you press and release the trigger is so much fun.

I bought the ultimate edition code from GameStop yesterday, should I have a code for gears 1-3+judgement somewhere? I already have them but I'd like to have them to give away.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just completed wave 50 for the first time. With 3 other randoms, on casual. Had to retry the last wave a few times because our fortifications were down and we had to pretty much camp by the chest. With randoms casual is hard enough for me tbh, at least waves 45-50.

how do i suck less ass at the multiplayer

Movement and positioning is the key in gears. Unless you have a power weapon your goal is to close in to close range with opponents while not being exposed.

The lancer is there to punish people for moving out in the open. The shotgun is there to get the kill at close range, but its very close range.

Theres a kind of rock/paper/scissors to it.

Lancer beats shotgun outside shotgun range.
Shotgun beats lancer at very close range.
Dodge/wall bounce beats shotgun at very close range.
Waiting for recovery time after a Dodge beats dodge. Lol.

That's at least how I understand it.

It's also important to get power weapons. And very important to team up. Dealing with multiple enemies is very very difficult.

Also watch your back when in cover. There is a very short field of view on purpose and you won't hear footsteps, you'll just hear the gnasher turning you into chunks of meat.

Lucifon

Just completed wave 50 for the first time. With 3 other randoms, on casual. Had to retry the last wave a few times because our fortifications were down and we had to pretty much camp by the chest. With randoms casual is hard enough for me tbh, at least waves 45-50.
How many credits did you earn for that / how long did it take?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
How many credits did you earn for that / how long did it take?

It took us about 3,5 hours I think. I don't know how many credits I got, but definitely not much. I don't really about those credits, but I'm saving them to get the best pack (elite?) when i get 4000. I'm still only at 3200, at level 27.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Why y'all hating on best color gears?
HWWhr4H.jpg

pizzacat

Banned
just got the sound of silence achievement without even knowing it was an achievement lol

its keeping the same lancer marcus gives you in the beginning till the part youre in the robot

jadedm17

A few hours in and i have to say the skins are an eyesore and the ranking system is far from perfect; The gnasher does seem fine to me personally. Big tip is just keep distance and dont default to gnasher battles in general : Close quarters should be a last option, not first.

Got a code for a operations Gear Pack quote to grab it

[CODE]TKMW6-JGDJF-WP4Q9-YD2RR-GHYTZ[/CODE]

Edit: I don't know how to do the quote thing right, but this seems to word

JB1981

I still can't download this game from the MS Store on PC LOL.

I'll probably be getting a call from my ISP soon wondering what the fuck I'm doing downloading the same 73gb file for the last 72 hours hahhaha

Running into an issue on the XBO-S.

Whenever I play Gears, the color palette for the system changes and kind of mutes itself. When I go back to the home screen everything is muted color wise rather than vibrant.

I have the same issue with Netflix. Seems like it's related to HDR (my TV is 4K & HDR capable), anyone have any advice?

Pasck

Neo Member
Also have an operation gears pack dlc code if you quote this. Not sure why I got it since I think I only played the first GoW once for like an hour. Welp.

oo7

No internet due to Hurricane Matthew and the only thing I have access to is Campaign..... come oooon maaaan.

newsguy

I'm reminded of just how angry Gears MP makes me. Gears 2 was my last PvP experience and I am remembering why. Few games make me curse like a madman when I lose a close quarters showdown. Mostly it's my fault, but the few times where I get an odd shotty lag it makes me fume.

Top Bottom