• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

KissVibes

Banned
Why even have other weapons in MP if all fights still devolve into shotgun bounce time?Then on top of that, the effectiveness of everything changes based on the mode you play?

Felt like Gears 3 was did a lot better to make every weapon feel really valuable in the right situations. 4 feels like a regression back to getting pushed into close-quarters shotgunning bullshit.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Just finished the campaign. Unbelievable, they actually made the best Gears campaign. Good job The Coalition. The pacing was perfect, they totally nailed that. And Act V, OMG, that was so much fun.

I am so glad
DB and CT are back. Woooooo!

Carlius

Banned
so i am trying to pre order the game to no luck. bought a windows 10 store gift card paid and i sitll have no code. anyone know how long they take to send the code?

Why even have other weapons in MP if all fights still devolve into shotgun bounce time?Then on top of that, the effectiveness of everything changes based on the mode you play?

Felt like Gears 3 was did a lot better to make every weapon feel really valuable in the right situations. 4 feels like a regression back to getting pushed into close-quarters shotgunning bullshit.

Gears 3 at launch was nothing but the sawed off and gnasher. I've been doing pretty ok with every weapon. I miss mortars though :)

daman824

Nah. The game technically isn't even out yet. There is no doubt going to be multiple balance patches as the game goes on. But gnasher definitely does not does not dominate most modes as it is now. You just have to know how to 'play' for lack of a better word. Learn what distance each weapon is effective at. I get plenty of kills with the lancer.

coalition really should add a remake of River. I seriously can't believe that map has never been remade. It's a great map no matter what mode you're playing. And as a personal preference, remake hail.

Imo, gears 2 had some terrible net code at release. But nearly every map was gold. Bloodrive, river, Avalanche, security, almost every map deserves a re-imagining

Nokterian

I am loving the game..the PC version is one of the most optimized games i ever played this year. And that says a lot and i played a lot of shitty pc ports among others on pc..not being faithful and not giving the options we really want but The Coalition PC crew did just that i salute and give you the highest of fives!

Also i am having buck loads of fun with the campaign,multiplayer and horde mode. So much to do!

Kalentan

My stats in Versus are shot to hell. I don't think I'll ever get a positive W/L ratio or a positive K/D.

It's filled to the brim now with players who can perfectly spin 180 degrees and instantly headshot you with their gnasher (a gun I might add is both amazing when you get a kill on and honestly ruins the Gears MP. Kind of wish there was a no Gnasher game mode.)

Miker

My stats in Versus are shot to hell. I don't think I'll ever get a positive W/L ratio or a positive K/D.

It's filled to the brim now with players who can perfectly spin 180 degrees and instantly headshot you with their gnasher (a gun I might add is both amazing when you get a kill on and honestly ruins the Gears MP. Kind of wish there was a no Gnasher game mode.)

I'd guess people who are playing now are hardcore Gears fans who paid an extra $40 to play 4 days early. I think there'll be a lot of new players with a new generation of Gears and a new platform. If matchmaking does its job, things should normalize out.

jadedm17

Nah. The game technically isn't even out yet. There is no doubt going to be multiple balance patches as the game goes on. But gnasher definitely does not does not dominate most modes as it is now. You just have to know how to 'play' for lack of a better word. Learn what distance each weapon is effective at. I get plenty of kills with the lancer.

coalition really should add a remake of River. I seriously can't believe that map has never been remade. It's a great map no matter what mode you're playing. And as a personal preference, remake hail.

Imo, gears 2 had some terrible net code at release. But nearly every map was gold. Bloodrive, river, Avalanche, security, almost every map deserves a re-imagining

Quoting for emphasis.
Fuck Gridlock so much; River was incredible, I'm bewildered too. Security was cool too.

Know your maps, know where your team is at and stick to the perimeter : General shooter rules.
Keep your distance and engage close quarters as a last resort.
These complaints bewilder me : Most of my fights don't get to Gnasher battles, and I'm rarely caught off guard.
Personally I missed the SawedOff, those people were so fun to dominate.
Everything has a balance so learn the best and worst situation for each weapon.

Keep. Your. Distance.

Kalentan

I'd guess people who are playing now are hardcore Gears fans who paid an extra $40 to play 4 days early. I think there'll be a lot of new players with a new generation of Gears and a new platform. If matchmaking does its job, things should normalize out.

That didn't really seem to happen with Gears UE.

Like it just really fucking sucks. I try and try and I try but it's can be a struggle in some matches to get a single kill.

Oh and now I'm getting enemies to spawn behind me. Literally I walked away from spawn (with it still in sight) and a Swarm spawned and killed me.

They really need to buff the Lancer. It's crazy how weak it is.

The game also needs a solo queue. STAT. Pre-mades are going to harm the MP in this just like it did in Halo 5. Yet somehow I doubt they will.

Know your maps, know where your team is at and stick to the perimeter : General shooter rules.
These complaints bewilder me : Most of my fights don't get to Gnasher battles, and I'm rarely caught off guard.

Keep. Your. Distance.

I've been downed by Gnasher guns at decent distances away in 2 shots and other times it takes more. It's so extremely inconsistant that it doesn't even matter where you are.

Ranged would be a great option if the Lancer wasn't such trash. It's so weak and due to how quick people get into cover, it's hard enough as it is to get a kill with it unless the player is bad enough to just stand out in the open.

I feel like most of the power weapons are pretty well balanced.
The shotgun feels great in my opinion. I haven't had many instances where I felt like my hits didn't register correctly.

Xater

Best advice: Stop caring about stats.

Kalentan

Best advice: Stop caring about stats.

Hard not too when I'm losing 80% of my matches. Shit stops being fun. I know some will say don't worry about not winning and just have fun but I'm sorry but no. Losing a lot is never fun.

Not to mention losing a nearly 10+ min match and then getting only 8 coins when you need 1000 to buy a box and your exp to level starts taking longer and longer...

Also I hate that advice. It's usually told by people who are good and therefore don't have to worry about their own stats to players whom they're curb stomping.

Shotgun definitely has issues. Most severe of which being the bullets don't come out of the gun at random times.

Yup.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...ng/fa691da5-1e44-48ca-8d6f-e3cb1ea6482e/posts

Thread about that. But also the range seems just off at times. There are times when I will get shot by a Gnasher quite a bit away and suddenly go deep into red health while sometimes they will hit me and my health will just go slightly down.

That didn't really seem to happen with Gears UE.

Like it just really fucking sucks. I try and try and I try but it's can be a struggle in some matches to get a single kill.

Oh and now I'm getting enemies to spawn behind me. Literally I walked away from spawn (with it still in sight) and a Swarm spawned and killed me.

They really need to buff the Lancer. It's crazy how weak it is.

The game also needs a solo queue. STAT. Pre-mades are going to harm the MP in this just like it did in Halo 5. Yet somehow I doubt they will.

I've been downed by Gnasher guns at decent distances away in 2 shots and other times it takes more. It's so extremely inconsistant that it doesn't even matter where you are.

Ranged would be a great option if the Lancer wasn't such trash. It's so weak and due to how quick people get into cover, it's hard enough as it is to get a kill with it unless the player is bad enough to just stand out in the open.

You should try using the enforcer if you wanna stay in close range, but out of shotgun range. If you wanna play the deep game use hammerburst.

Hard not too when I'm losing 80% of my matches. Shit stops being fun. I know some will say don't worry about not winning and just have fun but I'm sorry but no. Losing a lot is never fun.

Not to mention losing a nearly 10+ min match and then getting only 8 coins when you need 1000 to buy a box and your exp to level starts taking longer and longer...

Also I hate that advice. It's usually told by people who are good and therefore don't have to worry about their own stats to players whom they're curb stomping.

Yup.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...ng/fa691da5-1e44-48ca-8d6f-e3cb1ea6482e/posts

Thread about that. But also the range seems just off at times. There are times when I will get shot by a Gnasher quite a bit away and suddenly go deep into red health while sometimes they will hit me and my health will just go slightly down.
1)play social and TDM until you get better. The other modes will be full of vets, especially warzone,execution, and KOTH (or whatever they are calling it now).

2)That's the difference in getting hit with an Active reload. Also, body vs head makes a huge difference in TTK. I'm sure there are some small inconsistencies with launch servers, but the weapons already work light-years better than any other gears.

Man, 3 randoms and I went all the way to wave 40 normal, just to have 2 of them quit, what a damn waste of an evening.

Normal is harder than I thought, lol.

I played tonight up to 20 with a full group then 2 left, so the three of us went to 40 but kept dying then one left and I left.

It's fun, but you get screwed bad depending on the class since when you wipe you get the shit guns again, the rewards felt awful vs how much time was put in, spent like 4 hrs and it feels like without a full team you get rekt later on.

Theorry

Campaign gave me a bad impression of it then. Ignore me on SMGs.

Didnt really use it in SP also. But in MP its really good. Its a good anti Gnasher gun keep them abit at distance and when they try to pot shot you. You can easy spray them down.

uberluigi

Banned
Had a good game of Horde going on with a GAF member and some randoms, everyone started leaving by round 22 and it was just me and a GAF buddy. We got til round 25 before we gave up lol. Good game though 😁

Poster#1

So last night we reached Wave 50 in horde mode and guess what happened? DC from the server. 3 hours of progress.

Fix your shit Coalition. I'm seriously gonna shelf the game if it happens to me again.

Raxus

OK, this is getting frustrating the game is literally unplayable for me and I can't figure out why the game won't recognize my keyboard. I can't do anything.

Why is spawn protection a thing? Holy fuck.

Arms Race is such a clusterfuck of invincibility. Teammates spawn in extremely close proximity of each other, so if you're battling it out with someone, look there! His teammate just respawned ten feet away, with a SEVEN second god mode, too.

You should never be able to get into a fight and still be spawn protected. It is literally game breaking. I've hated this in all Gears. The spawn protection is mind bogglingly long. Should only be a single second, or hell not even exist at all.

Theorry

Why is spawn protection a thing? Holy fuck.

Arms Race is such a clusterfuck of invincibility. Teammates spawn in extremely close proximity of each other, so if you're battling it out with someone, look there! His teammate just respawned ten feet away, with a SEVEN second god mode, too.

You should never be able to get into a fight and still be spawn protected. It is literally game breaking. I've hated this in all Gears. The spawn protection is mind bogglingly long. Should only be a single second, or hell not even exist at all.

Spawnprotection is fine. Just abit weird in arms race and how a fun but clusterfuck gamemode it is haha.

Voliko

Quoting for emphasis.
Fuck Gridlock so much; River was incredible, I'm bewildered too. Security was cool too.

Personally I missed the SawedOff, those people were so fun to dominate.
Everything has a balance so learn the best and worst situation for each weapon.

Keep. Your. Distance.
95% of my kills are gnasher so far. Gears isn't fun for me otherwise. Why sit back, point and click like an FPS when you can slide/spin around and do crazy shit unlike in any other game

They really should bring back River though. Guardian matches on River were nuts

Theorry

I just can't play pvp on PC, downloading this again on Xbox One now. My kb/m skills have atrophied.

You can always try controller on PC and see how it goes. Its Gears so with a controller doesnt mean that your are at a big disadvantage. Like in other games. :)

nOoblet16

They continued the trend to make Anya look like a completely different person with each game. The funny thing is even the E day era Anya from Gears 1 looks different from the E day era Anya in Gears 4 heh

Truant

If anyone at TC is reading this thread (Who am I kidding, of course your are!), I just want to echo the praise given to the PC version. This really is the new standard for performance, options, and benchmarking in AAA games.

And for a UWP game, to boot!

They continued the trend to make Anya look like a completely different person with each game. The funny thing is even the E day era Anya from Gears 1 looks different from the E day era Anya in Gears 4 heh

She looks consistent with UE thank god. Epic had a habit of changing faces between games (less so from the original to Gears of War 2).

As for weapon balance, I think it's too early to call for buffs and nerfs. I think the rifles are really competitive and between the enforcer and overkill, the Gnasher is no longer the king of CQC in all situations.

Let's give it a little more time.

Top Bottom