• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Gears 2 nostalgia

JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png

camping in the middle on Jacinto with smoke tags that knock you to the ground down the stairs, doing the harlem shake on the ground and dudes running around with that trash hit diection

JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png

Keep Gears of War 2 where it belongs

Dumpster-non.JPG

Gears 2 Versus was definitely the low point of the series' multiplayer. I still like some of the maps though.

Christ knows why they ever though those smoke grenades were a good idea.

Iceman829

Thanks for the horde run earlier guys. Sorry I had to bail after an hour. I'll be back on in a bit for some more runs if you are interested

We have a spoiler thread already, i think.

We do?

something like 77-78GB I think

73.3 gigs on PC and around 54.6 on X1 (day one patch included here I reckon as most people are playing, must only be for physical).

Gears 2 nostalgia

JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png

camping in the middle on Jacinto with smoke tags that knock you to the ground down the stairs, doing the harlem shake on the ground and dudes running around with that trash hit diection

JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png

Dumpster-non.JPG

I don't think it's right to completely brush aside GeOW 2 when it comes to competitive play. Sure, there's stopping power (which was WORSE in 3) and some insanely buffed power weapons like boom and HoD. But, ragdoll smokes was the worst mechanic ever in a GeOW game, period. It was immediately removed in TU2 after the community outcry and followed by a well balanced TU3 (except for OP melee stun frames) and almost near perfect TU4 (w/ bad netcode). The problem with GeOW 2 was that, the game had 6 frickin' TU's (for comparisn the original GeOW had 3, with the annex update being the final one and GeOW 3 had 4, with all the DLC's) throughout it's lifespan until GeOW 3 came out, and each of them changed the gameplay drastically. TU6 did indeed have a great netcode with client side hit detection finally being implemented (they were testing out dedicated servers in specific regions like NA/EU/South America etc where there were moderate to high populace). But came with it some other buffs like the Gnasher spread/hitbox and not TU4 + CSHD, as the community was expecting. This carried onto GeOW 3, and don't even get me started about the DBS + Pendulum Lancer w/ stopping power. That debate never gets old...

It feels good to get two kills and stay alive if you are the last guy standing in dodgeball. I really like it a lot.

Arms Race had some terrible spawns. I spawned in the middle of the opposing team and could destroy them with the retro lancer because they did not notice me. TDM has some spawn issues as well, but at least, the spawns change throughout the game. Except we had 3vs5 match which sucked more in Gears than in Halo tbh.

Iceman829

Alright great, I thought you needed it because of the whole Play Anywhere stuff.

You only need gold to play games on your 360/x1. On win10 you only need a microsoft account. The play anywhere stuff is just the ability to play the game on both pc/x1 and game saves anywhere.

3DShovel

Not sure why there's no join in progress. I feel like every single game that's like, "we're not doing JIP" ends up going back on that decision.

Quitters are a serious problem in this game. 3 games of KOTH in a row where we take the first two hills by a large margin and half the enemy team just leaves.

Makes for a pretty boring rest of the match when no one else joins.

I doubt it, otherwise 80% of the thread would be comprised of people bitching about it.

You only need gold to play games on your 360/x1. On win10 you only need a microsoft account. The play anywhere stuff is just the ability to play the game on both pc/x1 and game saves anywhere.

Thanks for clearing that up.
Any tips when the download is getting stuck?
Seems already hanging at 10.38 GB...

B00TE

Seeing the Retro Lancer as a pick up still feels weird to me. I can dig it though, I still absolutely love it. Charging in with it never gets old to me, even if I get gibbed shortly after getting someone with it most of the time haha.

Kusagari

Gears 2 was an unmitigated mess in terms of MP but it was the kind of fuckery that I just had to keep playing because you never knew what insane glitch would happen next.

The thing I really liked about gears 2 multiplayer was that with Gaurdian, the game felt like a base defense game.

The maps helped with this too because there were clearly defined bases on maps like Jacinto or River.

It was fun to create your defenses with tagged nades, and hold off attackers. And it was also fun trying to kill the other team's guardian. My favourite tactic was to bum rush them at the beginning and hope I get a lucky one shot kill on their leader with my gnasher

nOoblet16

Jacinto, River and Pavilion were fuckin fantastic maps. A shame that we never got the later two again.

Also anyone up for playing some MP? If we can get a full party going we can play competitive otherwise we'll stick to core (I assume the 2 player party limit only applies to social and not core mode)

GT is xUselessoulx

3DShovel

The more I play, the more this game just shoves it's issues in my face.

Constantly getting killed in shotgun battles by people who aren't finished rolling animations or changing weapon animations.

On top of that, there is an inconsistent amount of action delay incurred when you come out of roadie run. So sometimes I can roadie run and immediately shoot after letting go of A. Other times I have to wait a second.

This is infuriating and honestly ruins the whole game for me. Not sure how much time I'll invest in this game if this is how it's gonna keep playing out.

Any EU time zone folks who are down for some horde in the next few min?
I have like maybe 3.5 hours of gameplay left before I need to go offline for today.

Just leave your gt here and I'll add you or add me GT: TheDutchSlayer

nOoblet16

The more I play, the more this game just shoves it's issues in my face.

Constantly getting killed in shotgun battles by people who aren't finished rolling animations or changing weapon animations.

On top of that, there is an inconsistent amount of action delay incurred when you come out of roadie run. So sometimes I can roadie run and immediately shoot after letting go of A. Other times I have to wait a second.

This is infuriating and honestly ruins the whole game for me. Not sure how much time I'll invest in this game if this is how it's gonna keep playing out.
This is due to lag, check if the server you are playing on is right. Or perhaps it's that other person who is lagging.

As for your 2nd bolded, Torpedoing hasn't been a thing since Gears 2 TU2....if it's happening here then it's probably a bug but you aren't suppose to be able to shoot instantly after a roadie run.

NullMoon

Neo Member
Fuck, loving this game so far. What I don't love is the absurd load times, I'm just trying play Horde but every damn time after sitting through four minute load time once the game starts a majority of players have left.

I think the Coalition should honestly just put the competitive weapon balancing across the board in core modes too.

I don't have the game yet, but from watching streams, the time-to-kill in core seems way too fast and the range on the gnasher is a bit much.

Competitive looks like the definitive settings.

3DShovel

I think the Coalition should honestly just put the competitive weapon balancing across the board in core modes too.

I don't have the game yet, but from watching streams, the time-to-kill in core seems way too fast and the range on the gnasher is a bit much.

Competitive looks like the definitive settings.

Even the competitive tuning could use some tweaking though. Shotgun has a maximum range of maybe 1.5 meters before the damage drops to near 0. Not sure what kind of guns the COG are manufacturing...

The games issues are not present in the competitive tuning. The game feels amazing there, but only 2 gametypes supporting it is a low blow and will kill the momentum the game could have...

Please coalition, don't do this.

pizzacat

Banned
Gears 2 nostalgia

JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png

JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png

Dumpster-non.JPG
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Remember pavilion

Or security

😷

Just remembered their environmental maps like Avalanche and hail and the dlc ones with the imulsion coming waist high

Remember how you can off the torque spawn in stasis with a smoke

People who made gears 2 should be jailed

Purdy

Is it worth my time playing through the GoW1-3 Campaigns before dropping into this one? Been playing the MP and have good fun despite being dog shit.

Played act 1 of GoW1 ultimate edition, thought it was pretty good, assume none of them are tediously long. (e.g when you think uncharted should end but it keeps going for an extra couple of boring hours)

nOoblet16

Imo Gears 3 was the absolute peak the competitive MP ever hit, it had all the things good about Gears 2 and took out most of the bad about it. Gears 3 did do some stuff wrong like increasing the wall bounce, slide speed to 11 and Gears 2/Gears 4 pace is more my liking.

But the people who say Gears 1 was the pinnacle are just as wrong as the people who say Gears 2 was the pinnacle. You might have liked the slower and simpler combat as well as 4v4 and I can see why, but there is no denying that Gears 1 was clunk and glitch fest...more so than Gears 2.

Addnan

After the sixth major update Gears 2 was a solid game. The shotgun was nice to use and the matchmaking was improved a ton.

nOoblet16

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Remember pavilion

Or security

😷

Just remembered their environmental maps like Avalanche and hail and the dlc ones with the imulsion coming waist high

Remember how you can off the torque spawn in stasis with a smoke

People who made gears 2 should be jailed
Uh what was wrong with Pavilion or Security?
I actually loved the avalance map, since the map changed after the avalanche and allowed new paths. After playing for a while you'd always know when it's about to happen and basically it's be like a break in a fight then it goes full force due to a different map layout.

Nere

I have issues with the download on PC aswell. It was going all fine until it reached around 62gb and then internet usage stopped although it said downloading. If I pause it and unpause it, it downloads a few megabytes and then stops again. Even though it says it is downloading I can see in task manager that internet is not being used. Any ideas or solutions? I really don't want to restart it since it is almost at the end.

I have issues with the download on PC aswell. It was going all fine until it reached around 62gb and then internet usage stopped although it said downloading. If I pause it and unpause it, it downloads a few megabytes and then stops again. Even though it says it is downloading I can see in task manager that internet is not being used. Any ideas or solutions? I really don't want to restart it since it is almost at the end.

Happened to me and a lot of other people. It looks like it's bugged but it's not. Let it continue "downloading" it will fix itself eventually. Could take up to an hour or even longer but it will eventually resume legit downloading. Don't do the pause and resume thing as it might mess up your download. Typical Windows Store jank.

Nere

Happened to me and a lot of other people. It looks like it's bugged but it's not. Let it continue "downloading" it will fix itself eventually. Could take up to an hour or even longer but it will eventually resume legit downloading. Don't do the pause and resume thing as it might mess up your download. Typical Windows Store jank.

Thank you, hopefully you are right.

pizzacat

Banned
Uh what was wrong with Pavilion or Security?
I actually loved the avalance map, since the map changed after the avalanche and allowed new paths. After playing for a while you'd always know when it's about to happen and basically it's be like a break in a fight then it goes full force due to a different map layout.
Any map that attempts to block off areas is awful by design so security is 💩

Pavilion had a useless mortar area (which can be blocked off as well but that's not such a big deal like security), the shield glitch into spawn and the dumbest standoffs in the shield area to the pistol spawns.

Avalanche has the dynamic thing but it didn't really work out with how laggy gears 2 is.

nOoblet16

Any map that attempts to block off areas is awful by design so security is 💩

Pavilion had a useless mortar area (which can be blocked off as well but that's not such a big deal like security), the shield glitch into spawn and the dumbest standoffs in the shield area to the pistol spawns.

Avalanche has the dynamic thing but it didn't really work out with how laggy gears 2 is.
Did you dislike Garden as well then? Because it had the gas room.

The shield glitch was fixed tho.
Plus majority of my time playing Gears have been private matches so we actually got rid of mortar every time.

Top Bottom