• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Moofers

I want to just take a moment and comment on the level design and art. It is beautiful! I love the Fall colors in the chapters with daylight. It's all very comforting to look at. Kudos to the team if you're reading this!

Gears 2 nostalgia

JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png

camping in the middle on Jacinto with smoke tags that knock you to the ground down the stairs, doing the harlem shake on the ground and dudes running around with that trash hit diection

JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png

Keep Gears of War 2 where it belongs

Dumpster-non.JPG
You talking about something that was in gears 2 for like 4 months. They took out the harlem shake quickly after launch... and who camp in the middle of jacinto.. lmfao

nOoblet16

Jacinto was a fantastic map for competitive play, tons of options to play a cat & mouse chase, if you're gonna blame the map for a bad mechanic that got taken out within months after release then that's your problem.

I'm playing through the Campaign on Insane and am stuck on a part in Act 3. Any pointers on how to beat the
3 pouncers?
Whenever I get one down, it's the next phase that screws me one way or another.

After three days of downloading (my net sucks) I am finally ready. I clicked play and was told to wait.
My brand new 1070 and 16GB or RAM are on standby and ready for the assault! I hope I can play this with a DS4 since I am keyboard-retarded.

malfcn

Love me some Gears.

But it's insanity when you land a few point blank gnasher shots (with active) and they one shot you and it says you hit them once for 50% damage. It's like reeeaally?

Some kids are born spongy. No matter how much you shoot them, they never go down.
And others like me are magnetic. I could be surrounded my an army, but that random kill always is me.

nOoblet16

playing gears 2 for 4 months

JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png
JgZs64Q.png

I snapped the fuckin disc way before that, friend
You know you aren't really making any points beside posting that same picture and screaming Gears 2 was trash.

Your argument regarding Gears 2's is invalid if you are only basing it on what you played near launch...especially when you are replying to people who are basing their opinions on the updated game.

like its my fault for qutting a game before they fixed the trash netcode, the crazy glitches, kung fu flip, invincible meatflags, roading running scorchers, awful hit detection, fuckin Gnasher and Boomshot randomly firing into the ground when hipfired, half the maps being awful(including Blood "everybody camp at the top of the stairs" Drive weirdos like for some reason), OP proximity grenades, taking forever to get into games with no penalty for qutting, standbyers, ugly ass models and color schemes, chainsaw duels wonky detection, busted weapon spawns, smoke stuns, etc etc

game was g a r b a g e. I rebuke all nostalgia for that game. In the NAME of black Jesus. Amen.

I'm playing through the Campaign on Insane and am stuck on a part in Act 3. Any pointers on how to beat the
3 pouncers?
Whenever I get one down, it's the next phase that screws me one way or another.
Apparently all I needed to do was post on GAF.

If anyone else encounters this, this was my strategy:

Try to be the one to knock the Pouncers off Del/Kait. Then tag the pouncer with a grenade and GTFO!

pizzacat

Banned
Did you dislike Garden as well then? Because it had the gas room.

The shield glitch was fixed tho.
Plus majority of my time playing Gears have been private matches so we actually got rid of mortar every time.
So you probably had a host from this country, any ranked or public match had someone from probably Jupiter with the lag it had

And then the lag switches 👌🏻

Honestly the KOTH version of that map with the spawn doors open is a better map than vanilla

And yeah garden was mega trash too

Iceman829

I had a nice torque box shot when I headshot the first guy and then killed his teammate behind him. I tried to record it with cortana she was pissy and didn't want to work. I pulled up the quick guide and hit screenshot instead. This win10 update is such ass. Bring back xbox record that it worked 95% of the time

Does anyone know of a good way to find Horde teammates?

I'm on PC. GT: sincasirum

I'm not the best at Gears, so Normal mode is my go-to.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Does anyone know of a good way to find Horde teammates?

I'm on PC. GT: sincasirum

I'm not the best at Gears, so Normal mode is my go-to.

I've only come across 1 game with my level of players, on Heroic. Got our ass handed to us on like Wave 26 and a guy left and it went all downhill from there.

You'd think that $100 entry point would deter some of the "ima run in alone to the front line and die" while the rest of us just /sigh behind a fortress.

Feel free to add me to XBL, I'm up for horde anytime I'm on. It's great.

nOoblet16

like its my fault for qutting a game before they fixed the trash netcode, the crazy glitches, kung fu flip, invincible meatflags, roading running scorchers, awful hit detection, fuckin Gnasher and Boomshot randomly firing into the ground when hipfired, half the maps being awful(including Blood "everybody camp at the top of the stairs" Drive weirdos like for some reason), OP proximity grenades, taking forever to get into games with no penalty for qutting, standbyers, ugly ass models and color schemes, chainsaw duels wonky detection, busted weapon spawns, smoke stuns, etc etc

game was g a r b a g e. I rebuke all nostalgia for that game. In the NAME of black Jesus. Amen.
It's not your fault.
But what is absolutely your fault that you are being called out here because the opinions you are dismissing is about something you didn't experience.

It's like two people are discussing a finished game/DLC while a third person screams that it's terrible because the beta/main game was disappointing and he is right...eventhough the two people are discussing something he never played.

All y'all saying gears 2 is trash.... Are correct! I still have nightmares about the netcode. Took them like a year to make it decent. And it had the worst story of the original 3 games. (never bothered starting judgement after being disgusted by its terrible multi-player, and I'm only in chapter one of gears 4).

Tecnniqe

Banned
All y'all saying gears 2 is trash.... Are correct! I still have nightmares about the netcode. Took them like a year to make it decent. And it had the worst story of the original 3 games. (never bothered starting judgement after being disgusted by its terrible multi-player, and I'm only in chapter one of gears 4).

I'm gonna say it goes;
Gears 1
Gears 4
Gears 3
Gears 2
Judgmental One

However I was never a super competitive player in Gears as I find the gnasher cover jumping cool to watch but meh to play so I can't really say much about that side of it.

I like social versus for what it is. Spent some time in coop versus too and the AI put up a decent fight and it feels good. Other players are a bit 50/50 on the matter.

Where it comes in for me is story replayability, difficulty and horde mode as well as other PvE stuff, all of which Gears of War 4 excels in as far as I'm concerned. However it would be nice to have the option to select which enemy type to fight as opposed to both factions.

Gears 1 was such a cool thing back when it came out. I'm not sure it will ever be beaten within the series. I played the Xbox version, GFWL version and the UE version of it and still enjoy it to this very day, something I expect Gears 4 to do as well.

Amazing new characters with the addition of the
old guard ;)
and the banter in between them really makes them feel alive throughout the campaign and grants them some personality and bond, which is very much needed in the Gears story.

All I remember from gears 2 store is Maria! Maria! Maria! Kill Maria, then that sad excuse for a boss fight at the end.

Today maps are loading way faster! I'm in a match within a minute now.

Just tried out some splitscreen on a friend's box who got the ultimate edition. Not even worth trying to play multi-player. The framerate and input lag made it unplayable.

I'm gonna say it goes;
Gears 1
Gears 4
Gears 3
Gears 2
Judgmental One

However I was never a super competitive player in Gears as I find the gnasher cover jumping cool to watch but meh to play so I can't really say much about that side of it.

I like social versus for what it is. Spent some time in coop versus too and the AI put up a decent fight and it feels good. Other players are a bit 50/50 on the matter.

Where it comes in for me is story replayability, difficulty and horde mode as well as other PvE stuff, all of which Gears of War 4 excels in as far as I'm concerned. However it would be nice to have the option to select which enemy type to fight as opposed to both factions.

Gears 1 was such a cool thing back when it came out. I'm not sure it will ever be beaten within the series. I played the Xbox version, GFWL version and the UE version of it and still enjoy it to this very day, something I expect Gears 4 to do as well.

Amazing new characters with the addition of the
old guard ;)
and the banter in between them really makes them feel alive throughout the campaign and grants them some personality and bond, which is very much needed in the Gears story.

Quoting myself from a few dozen pages back.
Ranking the campaigns I'd say:

Gears 2
Gears 4
Gears 1
Gears 3

Acts two through five in Gears of War 4 are truly excellent and match (if not surpass) anything we've seen in the franchise to date.

I'd also say the Swarm are way more fun to fight than the Locust (and tough as old boots on Hardcore). As someone who has played all the games recently, the AI is a giant step up too.

However, Gears of War 2 remains my favourite because not only was it an enormous step up from the original with new enemies and weapons, it also boasted some really memorable levels.

One minute you were exploring an abandoned research facility in the mountains the next you were battling your way through the Locust stronghold.

You take charge of Brumak, chainsaw your way out of a giant worm and take on a giant fish after a high speed boat chase.

The variety in locales really is top notch.

The original Gears of War is lots of fun, if a little bit simple by today's standards.

It has a unique tone that none of the others have really gone for and also has some really great encounters.

The entirety of act two will forever be one of my favourites in the franchise.

Gears of War 3 is a bit too long for it's own good, a little bloated. By making areas larger to accommodate four people, you lose the intimate violence that is the series' biggest strength.

Mechanically it stands well above one and two, but it's a game that shows how important pacing is.

It's still got some cool battles though and is bags of fun alone or with friends, but generally, I think it's the least enjoyable.

Cracking MP though.

But adding to my original assessment, I think Gears of War 4 might be the most well-rounded entry.

Every encounter feels hand-crafted with a wide composition of enemies, meticulous cover placement and tight combat arenas.

It combines all the mechanical improvements made in Gears of War 3 (while adding a few cool ideas of it's own) with the intimate design of the original.

There's also a greater variety of encounters and less filler.

The
'escape' sequences
, particularly the second one, destroy any similar scenarios in the previous games.

I think The Coalition has got MP right too (mostly). It feels consistent (again, most of the time) and weapon balance feels great to me.

I can't comment on Horde yet, but I'm sure I'll have a blast.

I'm really impressed.

The pounchers, juvies, carriers, snatchers etc. really reinvigorate combat for me in the campaign.

While the overkill, enforcer, dropshot, buzzkill and embar all feel right at home in MP.

Edit: To address Gears of War 2 MP, I rejected it early on and went back to the original. However, I wanted that golden gnasher in Gears of War 3 so went back in mid-2011.

At that point I found it heaps of fun. The pace of the game never sat right with me, but once I adjusted, I had a good time.

It had LOADS of great maps too.

You know you aren't really making any points beside posting that same picture and screaming Gears 2 was trash.

Your argument regarding Gears 2's is invalid if you are only basing it on what you played near launch...especially when you are replying to people who are basing their opinions on the updated game.
gears 2 was aids to the franchise

the game, the design choices, the hit detection, the matchmaking, the maps. there is no redeeming quality to that piece of garbage

Natiko

Banned
The campaign was amazing. Never thought I would care about the story or think the campaign was anything better than decent after the previous entries but that was great. Kudos to The Coalition.

Had a fantastic time playing horde today and this evening with Xater and others to bad we only made it to 36 but is was a good match, far better then the first one we did.

Jarrod38

I know the Social Mode is suppose to be random but it really sucks getting teamed against people leveled 30 and up and having your team with level 1s.

I know the Social Mode is suppose to be random but it really sucks getting teamed against people leveled 30 and up and having your team with level 1s.
To be fair levels mean nothing since you get xp for everything you do including losing, I fear level ones more due to people that make new accounts for their precious kdr.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Quoting myself from a few dozen pages back.

But adding to my original assessment, I think Gears of War 4 might be the most well-rounded entry.

Every encounter feels hand-crafted with a wide composition of enemies, meticulous cover placement and tight combat arenas.

It combines all the mechanical improvements made in Gears of War 3 (while adding a few cool ideas of it's own) with the intimate design of the original.

There's also a greater variety of encounters and less filler.

The
'escape' sequences
, particularly the second one, destroy any similar scenarios in the previous games.

I think The Coalition has got MP right too (mostly). It feels consistent (again, most of the time) and weapon balance feels great to me.

I can't comment on Horde yet, but I'm sure I'll have a blast.

I'm really impressed.

The pounchers, juvies, carriers, snatchers etc. really reinvigorate combat for me in the campaign.

While the overkill, enforcer, dropshot, buzzkill and embar all feel right at home in MP.

Yes, Gears 4 feels like it added everything that was great with some new things on its own that fits in really well.

The encounters are indeed amazing. Smaller scale of battles combined with the enemies Act 3 and up really made it for me.

Just enough room for the atmosphere to build up, for the characters to talk between each other and prepare you for the next battle all while giving you amazing combat scenery. Each one different and never felt "samey" during my play.

I also really liked the
hordemode sequences
. It actually felt worthwhile. Gave me a option to fight the battles on my premise.
I even blocked off an area and stood on a turret and just shredded them to bloody tiny pieces while they struggled to move forward.
A+

As for the
bike
and
wire fly
I'm not a fan of those but they look cool and the latter was kinda funny at the end.

I'm not gonna say much for MP balance and combat but Horde mode is quite good.

Feels balanced but hard at the same time. It really requires teamwork and coordination to pull off, however some wave bosses are superior to others. That added with both enemy types during the waves makes it feel odd to me. I'd prefer one of the factions for each game instead of a mix. I also found the robocops a bit bland, while the others added more "hostile" and "difficulty" feeling to it, which I enjoyed more.
Nostalgia die AI trashtalk?

Also the credit system is abysmal but that's another story.

If I was to give it a rating system its probably a solid 8.5-9 out of 10 from me without adding MP in there, as horde mode is great (with a few minor annoyances) and the campaign is so polished with great characters. It felt a bit too short, but at the same time it was on spot for the entire ride.

Is there anyone else here playing through the Campaign solo on Insane?

'Cause I am losing my patience at Act 3.Chapter 3, At the Doorstep. I'm at the
Museum checkpoint, with the mounted chain gun and we have to defend. I'm lucky if I can get past the first wave of Juvies. Del/Kait are absolutely worthless and the Juvies two-hit me. There's no room to escape and there winds up being so many.

I have a Retro Lancer and a Gnasher. I'm not so good hip-firing the Gnasher, so that doesn't help. And the fact that there isn't a checkpoint in sight throughout that whole part makes it even more frustrating.

I could be wrong, but I don't ever remember the checkpoints being so sparse and far apart in previous Gears.

I may have to drop the game down to Hardcore to make it through this part. I hate to, but it's such an uneven and unfair fight. And I've long lost my patience (which is rare for me when playing games on the hardest difficulty).

Tecnniqe

Banned
Is there anyone else here playing through the Campaign solo on Insane?

'Cause I am losing my patience at Act 3.Chapter 3, At the Doorstep. I'm at the
Museum checkpoint, with the mounted chain gun and we have to defend. I'm lucky if I can get past the first wave of Juvies. Del/Kait are absolutely worthless and the Juvies two-hit me. There's no room to escape and there winds up being so many.

I have a Retro Lancer and a Gnasher. I'm not so good hip-firing the Gnasher, so that doesn't help. And the fact that there isn't a checkpoint in sight throughout that whole part makes it even more frustrating.

I could be wrong, but I don't ever remember the checkpoints being so sparse and far apart in previous Gears.

I may have to drop the game down to Hardcore to make it through this part. I hate to, but it's such an uneven and unfair fight. And I've long lost my patience (which is rare for me when playing games on the hardest difficulty).

There are a few chapters which are much more difficult than the rest as it kinda forces your hand. I have yet to Insane the story but Hardcore was a blast.

I think you need to kill a few of them, leave the turret and protect yourself and keep doing that. I did have a few come up to me as well which gave me a run for my money as the AI just seems to watch em come at your from behind but switching between the turret and cover did the trick. Also I avoid CQC as all hell on higher settings. Try Lancer and Hammer. Lancer for juvies and Hammer for some HS action on the drones. Does quick work of them.

Considering maybe doing Insane coop but that might add more trouble than help :p

I'm not looking at the strategies as I'm looking to do a solo insane run myself (thanks for the spoilers tags) but I will say there was the odd encounter where I'd die only to have to restart a lengthy, multi-phase encounter again.

It was a bit annoying.

Hardcore was tough enough for me, I can't imagine what insane is like.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm not looking at the strategies as I'm looking to do a solo insane run myself (thanks for the spoilers tags) but I will say there was the odd encounter where I'd die only to have to restart a lengthy, multi-phase encounter again.

It was a bit annoying.

Hardcore was tough enough for me, I can't imagine what insane is like.

Yeah if I recall there was 2 encounters that was multi phase that gave me a hard time. Was rather annoying having to do all the phases only to die at the same one.

But in the end it felt rewarding once you beat them.

malfcn

So I'm having a shit day. Started with an email saying my ebay account was accessed. Now I find key marks on my car. Does insurance cover that?

Time for hockey.

Top Bottom