• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Drewfonse

Really looking forward to playing the campaign.

What's the consensus on it? Good, very good? 10 hours-ish

Also, how's the difficulty compared the previous games? Thanks.

In gears 3 when you joined in progress youd get default marcus or drone.
Now is it random?
Sometimes ive gotten the default version of my character and just now it gave me cole who I dont even own.

I really enjoyed it. Finished in about 7.5 hours getting a good amount of collectibles on Normal. Definitely harder than the previous ones, although some of that can be attributed to some cheap enemies. Overall though the campaign was a blast.

Rockstar swag is hot.

Yep, got four out of five skins. I can get the acid lancer skin without buying a Walmart can, right? I just need two tabs instead of one?

It's honestly amazing how hard these are to find.

I've had no trouble finding them in local 7/11s. It's a lot better luck than I usually have with these promos. Tricky part is finding all four designs; I've only nabbed two.

malfcn

Yep, got four out of five skins. I can get the acid lancer skin without buying a Walmart can, right? I just need two tabs instead of one?

I've had no trouble finding them in local 7/11s. It's a lot better luck than I usually have with these promos. Tricky part is finding all four designs; I've only nabbed two.

I don't know if they have to be Wally cans or not, but yes you need 2.

I don't care about the designs. Only found Punched, but that is what I drink anyways.

I don't know if they have to be Wally cans or not, but yes you need 2.

I don't care about the designs. Only found Punched, but that is what I drink anyways.

I wouldn't care about the designs, but my buddy likes to display collector's cans, but doesn't drink Rockstar. So he asked me for the cans afterwards.

He still has those cool aluminum Game Fuel bottles from 2007.

Raxus

I had no idea scout had a base 2x multiplier. I have been an asshole for no reason!

What are the base bonuses for each class?

I thought it was fantastic. I finished in around 8-9 hours I suppose. Played it on hardcore and i never really got stuck in a spot for more than 3-4 deaths. The difficulty seems comparable although overall I think the boss battles were a tad easier in this one.

Finding games on PC is really hard right now. Hope it's better after the full launch. Match times are fast on Xbox right now.

I'm also hating core/competitive weapon balancing in practice just as much as I did in theory. The game is fantastic, but that weapon balance change is really dumb.

Kalentan

Finding games on PC is really hard right now. Hope it's better after the full launch. Match times are fast on Xbox right now.

Something tells me that will continue even after launch. Well not so much that PC will continue to be hard. But I imagine it will always be faster to find games on XBO.

Drewfonse

I really enjoyed it. Finished in about 7.5 hours getting a good amount of collectibles on Normal. Definitely harder than the previous ones, although some of that can be attributed to some cheap enemies. Overall though the campaign was a blast.

I thought it was fantastic. I finished in around 8-9 hours I suppose. Played it on hardcore and i never really got stuck in a spot for more than 3-4 deaths. The difficulty seems comparable although overall I think the boss battles were a tad easier in this one.

Hype intensifies...

3DShovel

Lol, when the worst player on the enemy team manages to down you from behind at the end of a KOTH game and does the full punch-out exec on you...

Apologies if this has been discussed, but has anyone played this on PC? I've only ever played Gears with an xbox controller, so I'm curious how it feels with a mouse and keyboard.

DocSeuss

I love this game. Campaign was great. Probably 8 hours or so on normal, wasn't really paying attention.

Biggest strengths:

1) It added a ton of new mechanics without feeling like it was adding useless stuff (what up, Halo 4/5?)

2) It was a more personal, intimate narrative. The characters always had an extremely clear, immediate goal, and every major story beat influenced that.

3) A lot of the arenas were great, the encounters that tried something new were often spectacular, and the game was just super fun to play.

Biggest issues:

1) Overkill ammo can't be obtained from crates; gun's in the same tier as the Torque Bow and Boomshot, I guess, but feels like it should be in the same tier as the gnasher.

2) Enemy variety in Gears 3 is way better, though one could argue that Gears 3 had an ABSURD amount of enemy variety.

3) I don't like one of the new enemy types, the
pouncer

4) The first chapter is a bit slow because the DBs themselves don't have a lot of variety.

Hopefully they have the servers fixed by Tuesday. Out of my last 2 matches each has taken over 6+ minutes to load, and my last 2 tries both of them had me waiting that time just to kickme back to the main menu after all of that time...

Raxus

Hopefully they have the servers fixed by Tuesday. Out of my last 2 matches each has taken over 6+ minutes to load, and my last 2 tries both of them had me waiting that time just to kickme back to the main menu after all of that time...

Xbox or PC? My games load in no time.

b0bbyJ03

If I buy the digital code for gears of war 4 on Amazon, will that work on the Windows 10 store. Im nervous about buying it and not being able to redeem it since i dont have an xbox.

xRaizen

I love this game. Campaign was great. Probably 8 hours or so on normal, wasn't really paying attention.

Biggest strengths:

1) It added a ton of new mechanics without feeling like it was adding useless stuff (what up, Halo 4/5?)

2) It was a more personal, intimate narrative. The characters always had an extremely clear, immediate goal, and every major story beat influenced that.

3) A lot of the arenas were great, the encounters that tried something new were often spectacular, and the game was just super fun to play.

Biggest issues:

1) Overkill ammo can't be obtained from crates; gun's in the same tier as the Torque Bow and Boomshot, I guess, but feels like it should be in the same tier as the gnasher.

2) Enemy variety in Gears 3 is way better, though one could argue that Gears 3 had an ABSURD amount of enemy variety.

3) I don't like one of the new enemy types, the
pouncer

4) The first chapter is a bit slow because the DBs themselves don't have a lot of variety.
I feel like even Gears 1 had more variety in enemies. There's nothing in this game that made you shit your pants like in Gears 1 when hearing "BOOM!" in that deep voice. I also miss Berserkers. And theron guard hisses.

Swarm could use more variety :/

I feel like even Gears 1 had more variety in enemies. There's nothing in this game that made you shit your pants like in Gears 1 when hearing "BOOM!" in that deep voice. I also miss Berserkers. And theron guard hisses.

My only complaint.
Weak enemy variey.
And ffs couldnt they unlock a base DB model in MP for eveyone?
The swarm MP models are all ass.

Hugstable

Banned

I'm near end of Act V right now on Gear 3 and the enemy variety has been insane. I was kinda disappointed with variety in 2 since it seemed like basically the exact same Locust enemies from the first game, but man 3 really stepped it up with the Glowies where you gotta shoot spots and all their assorted varieties (and there's alot, I like the whole shoot the pod on the stalks thing) plus those Centipede enemies are really fun to fight. 3 has just been insane in enemy variety compared to the rest of the series, and it's making it one of my favorites now. Can't wait for 4! 2 more days!

Moofers

I'm in a hopeless pub group of Horde right now. No mics, heavy is collecting all the power. Somebody invite me to a real game.

GT: uno ill Nino

xRaizen

My only complaint.
Weak enemy variey.
Yeah the Swarm designs are terrible compared to the Locust. Locust were ugly but aesthetically cool as fuck. Swarm on the other hand are just ugly. Doesn't help that they all look way too similar (naked swarm, loin cloth swarm, loin cloth and armor, scion, scion with more armor, scion elite).

I miss Raam and Therons in MP. And the badass Sniper goggle wearing locust.

My only complaint.
Weak enemy variey.

Interesting. I felt from the robots, to the rolling detonating ones, the juvies, the animal like swarm, and the ones that shoot were pretty varied overall.

Interesting but I can understand why people might have wanted more.

Xbox or PC? My games load in no time.

Xbox. Didn't think it was my connection but it might be. Having some spotty games where it seems my hit detection and damage is a bit erratic lol. When I go 9 - 0 on one game of Dodgeball where I'm two shotting people with the Gnasher and then 1 - 7 on the next where I put four Gnasher rounds into someone just for them to only take 53% damage something is afoot lol.

Either way having a good time mostly. Getting credits is REALLY slow though (even with bounties). I think I might scrap most of my skins and just invest in one COG and one Swarm skin and just accept those as the only ones I'll probably get and use.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't get to play yesterday or most of today after doing Acts 1-3 on Friday. Played through Act 4 over the past couple of hours, and damn that was good! End fight was one of the best in the series so far. Looking forward to finishing up my first campaign play through tomorrow.

J_Viper

Anyone ever order a Digital code from Best Buy?

How reliable are they? I just remembered that GCU members still get the $10 cert, even from the digital code.

Top Bottom