• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Grisby

The set piece at the beginning of Act 4 was nuts. Like the motion blur and stuff was crazy.

Impressive.

Also, thanks for the (massive end act 3 spoilers)
fake out
Coalition. My heart needed that, lol.

There are a few chapters which are much more difficult than the rest as it kinda forces your hand. I have yet to Insane the story but Hardcore was a blast.

I think you need to kill a few of them, leave the turret and protect yourself and keep doing that. I did have a few come up to me as well which gave me a run for my money as the AI just seems to watch em come at your from behind but switching between the turret and cover did the trick. Also I avoid CQC as all hell on higher settings. Try Lancer and Hammer. Lancer for juvies and Hammer for some HS action on the drones. Does quick work of them.

Considering maybe doing Insane coop but that might add more trouble than help :p
See below, but
this section sucks because of the sheer number of enemies and being confined in a very tight space with no place to hunker down and stand ground.
I'm not looking at the strategies as I'm looking to do a solo insane run myself (thanks for the spoilers tags) but I will say there was the odd encounter where I'd die only to have to restart a lengthy, multi-phase encounter again.

It was a bit annoying.

Hardcore was tough enough for me, I can't imagine what insane is like.
Tough. Very very tough. There are lots of moments in the same vein as General Raam on Insane. In other words, hair-pulligly frustrating.
Yeah if I recall there was 2 encounters that was multi phase that gave me a hard time. Was rather annoying having to do all the phases only to die at the same one.

But in the end it felt rewarding once you beat them.
These multiphase encounters without a checkpoint are the worst. Insane difficulty definitely makes this decision stick out as being "unfair."

I finally did beat that part in Act 3, Chapter 3.
I was getting so frustrated that I started to think of ways I can cheat the encounter, which has been a core part of the shall games on Legendary. What I did was run back to part where that section started, when there was one Swarm left, before the Juvies arrive. The part is out of the museum, back down the hill, and all the way to the dead end past the houses.

This gave me plenty of space to breathe and attack the Juvies, as they trickled back to aggro me. I picked up the Boomshot as my second and used that as the phase then switched back to the Locust. The next phase was more Juvies, which I dispatched. The hard part was not having Del and Kait die by the Locust stragglers. I ran back into the museum and used the Boomshot on the remaining Locust.

It was one part cheese, one part luck, and one part quick thinking.

After that hump I've had a few sections be a nuisance, but nothing like the above. I didn't finish Act 3, as the debate started, but I am so happy to finally be making progress again!

This game is an absolute mess.

Point blanking people multiple times only for it to tell me I'm doing like 3% in 2 shots.

Game is disappointing me more and more at every turn.

I'm about ready to say fuck this game.

Every match is a 5-0 or 5-1 blowout.

You are constantly getting shot in the back by shotguns. Everyone makes zero noise when moving around and the maps are designed to pinch players so they get fucked.

Gears 3 was a much better game.

creatchee

All I'm going to say is that if you're UBER LEET HAXOR at wall bouncing, you really shouldn't be in the Social playlist. It ruins the game for people who can't/don't play that way. There are competitive options for a reason.

oktarb

So in Horde mode you just bail when you've had enough? No vote to leave option like before? You just quit and leave everyone hanging?

Also there's so many lopsided matches because teams are uneven..

Here's the solution. Team a loses someone. Team b's lowest scoring player gets kicked. That solves everything.

people complaining about the lancer/gnasher are hurting my brain. The tuning (especially in comp) is freaking great. Personally my favorite gnasher.

HiiiLife

Lol game been out three days and people are saying fuck this/ lets go back to 3 already? Damn.

Don't get my hopes up when I pick it up tomorrow night.

3DShovel

people complaining about the lancer/gnasher are hurting my brain. The tuning (especially in comp) is freaking great. Personally my favorite gnasher.
You mean besides the fact that that the Gnasher randomly shoots air and the ammo counter doesn't go down?

'cause that is for real game breaking.

And yeah, Gnasher is wildly inconsistent. No denying it.

Lol game been out three days and people are saying fuck this/ lets go back to 3 already? Damn.

Don't get my hopes up when I pick it up tomorrow night.

I can't quite put my finger on it but gears 3 felt like you could fight back more often..

There are so so so so so many "gotcha" situations in this game where you just get screwed. Its fun if you're on the giving end I guess.

Although it's also fucking boring hunting down one player whos hiding for 3 minutes when it's down to 4v1 like it always is. Or knowing you're in a 3v5 Match and you are just outnumbered in every encounter.

Deception

So with the way the preorder unlocks work, me and my brother share the same Xbox and are in the same family but since he purchased the game on his account, while I can still play, only he can get the preorder bonuses. Seems kind of dumb as every other game that has come with preorder bonuses we've both gotten.

So in Horde mode you just bail when you've had enough? No vote to leave option like before? You just quit and leave everyone hanging?

The stupid bounty system. They leave after completing there bounty. Horde is not fun now. Shared money, idiots constantly moving the fabricator and even less people stay in the matches now because of bounties. I've already moved back to gears 3 for horde because you know where it's almost perfect in gears 3. So maybe "The Coalition" will make some drastic changes to horde in gears 4 but i doubt it...

j-wood

I bought an ultimate edition code from Best Buy but haven't received any code to download the Xbox 360 gears. Is there something I'm missing?

aBarreras

The stupid bounty system. They leave after completing there bounty. Horde is not fun now. Shared money, idiots constantly moving the fabricator and even less people stay in the matches now because of bounties. I've already moved back to gears 3 for horde because you know where it's almost perfect in gears 3. So maybe "The Coalition" will make some drastic changes to horde in gears 4 but i doubt it...

people being dicks is not something that the coalition can fix

Anyone ever order a Digital code from Best Buy?

How reliable are they? I just remembered that GCU members still get the $10 cert, even from the digital code.

Friend just did it last night. Traded in his copy of Fallout 4 and wound up paying $33 for a digital code, pre-order bonuses and everything.

Sojgat

I can't get the aim sensitivity/acceleration to feel right. Not a problem I've ever had with Gears before.

Are people using the defaults? What are your settings?

So far no bitching for me. Games are fun and hardly have a problem with fights other than my shoot wasn't good enough to kill. Credits are slow but better that than only having the option to buy them using money. Campaign is great and really fun.

Only problem I have is the loading map thing, that needs to be fixed but other than that I'm loving it and one of the most fun I've had in a gears game.

Decided to try Escalation but since the matchmaking is completely worthless we were down one person from the start so we just auto lost.

Guess there's no point playing that until TC actually fixes something.

Decided to try Escalation but since the matchmaking is completely worthless we were down one person from the start so we just auto lost.

You are somewhat right. While not worthless it's not the best when it's 4 v 5. It needs to be 5v5 or 4v4. I feel like it will be fixed when the game actually comes out.

Though sometimes I prefer 4v5 especially on TDM cause some teammates just die a lot and waste tickets.

ISee

Bought a new GPU. Has a gears4 code included. Thinking about rather selling the code then keeping it.
Only played gears1 a couple of years ago (PC), never played the rest.

Is the story enjoyable enough without proper gears knowledge?

I'm not interested in competitive multiplayer. Is the game worth it for the singleplayer campaign only?

I would not call the game off now. Wait till the game launches for real tomorrow. The player base will be bigger then.

Bought a new GPU. Has a gears4 code included. Thinking about rather selling the code then keeping it.
Only played gears1 a couple of years ago (PC), never played the rest.

Is the story enjoyable enough without proper gears knowledge?

I'm not interested in competitive multiplayer. Is the game worth it for the singleplayer campaign only?

You could play the story as a newcomer, but I think it'd help a lot if you're familiar with the previous games. The introduction is a brief prologue that won't make any sense to new blood, and the game makes a lot of callbacks to the previous three games (and Judgment is reference offhand in collectibles).

However, if you've played the first game, you won't need to worry too much about the other games. A story summary of the events of the sequels will put you back on track.

That said, the campaign itself is stellar, and Horde mode is the best it's ever been.

ISee

You could play the story as a newcomer, but I think it'd help a lot if you're familiar with the previous games. The introduction is a brief prologue that won't make any sense to new blood, and the game makes a lot of callbacks to the previous three games (and Judgment is reference offhand in collectibles).

However, if you've played the first game, you won't need to worry too much about the other games. A story summary of the events of the sequels will put you back on track.

That said, the campaign itself is stellar, and Horde mode is the best it's ever been.

Thx. Maybe I'll give it a try.

I can't get the aim sensitivity/acceleration to feel right. Not a problem I've ever had with Gears before.

Are people using the defaults? What are your settings?
Look:20
Zoom:5
Inner stick deadzone: 0 <I think this makes biggest difference with my elite. It's amazing to finally have no dead zone what so ever in a game! Needs to be an option in every.singke.game.

Tournament setup.
Everything else I didn't mention is default.

Inner stick deadzone: 0 <I think this makes biggest difference with my elite. It's amazing to finally have no dead zone what so ever in a game! Needs to be an option in every.singke.game.

Tournament setup.

Out of curiosity, should the outer stick deadzone also be set to 0? I have it set to the absolute minimum before zero in Halo 5, and I was curious if I should do the same here. It works really well for me in that game, and I figured it'd help in Gears 4 as well whenever I play versus on Xbox (sticking to PC for the most part). I've turned acceleration down to about 5 as well, and that's helped a lot. Had it set to 0 briefly, but that it was weird playing on a controller with zero aim acceleration.

Nothing feels better than we two try hards on the other team is carrying them on TDM and you beat them by finishing the the final person by pulling out the pistol and doing the execution.

Also what up with the hardcore people playing on social? Ranked games are there for a reason.

If anyone needs another person for versus please add me!

GT - xThatOneDorkx

Trying to move up from Onyx 3 on TDM but it's hard to without a team.

Sojgat

Tournament setup.

Yup, this is good. Thanks.

Top Bottom