• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Theorry

Good to know. Played the old ones with 360 controller, this is my first part on PC. Not sure yet if KB+M or DS4. But I suppose I'll get torn apart with controller online on PC.

Controller in Gears isnt that big of a disadvantage compared to other games. :)

Jubbly

I saw someone upgrade a turret from tier 1 to tier 2 in Horde but I have no idea how they did it. Can someone fill me in please.

Controller in Gears isnt that big of a disadvantage compared to other games. :)

In my experience so far the only major advantage is for snipers. I'm playing controller on PC and doing just as fine as I do on console. Snipers seem to headshot me much more than on console, but other than that no one seems too advantageous.

The real issue on PC is the player base being like, nonexistent thus far. I can't play anything but TDM because it doesn't find a game. We need cross-play. Seriously, just disable KB/M while in matchmaking and allow controller PC players to pool with console.

nOoblet16

Not really following it. Sorry. Never said the only other option is paid maps. Just saying that i think this rotation stuff isnt that bad. And that the Halo version isnt the best solution also.
It's the way you said it, perhaps you didn't realise it but you were implying it's either this or paid.
We were discussing about having all maps be available in rotation and you come in saying you are happy with it and just glad they aren't paid..when no one was talking about paid maps.

But everyone can host private matches wich are in the rotation. The maps that arent in the rotation you can still play in private with the season pass. So killing the rotation makes the season pass worth less.
But private matches and public matches are two different things. I won't play private matches specifically to play out of rotation maps.

You can have all the maps available in public matches at all times and still require a season pass to be able to have those maps in private matches. It won't change a thing for season pass holders, it won't "screw them over"...infact it might even make it better because for times when they can't get a full lobby rolling for private matches they can still play all the maps.

Xater

I saw someone upgrade a turret from tier 1 to tier 2 in Horde but I have no idea how they did it. Can someone fill me in please.

Pick it up with Y and then there is a prompt that you can upgrade by pressing X.

You can have all the maps available in public matches at all times and still require a season pass to be able to have those maps in private matches. It won't change a thing for season pass holders, it won't "screw them over"...infact it might even make it better because for times when they can't get a full lobby rolling for private matches they can still play all the maps.

It makes the value proposition for the season pass even worse than it already is.

Theorry

It's the way you said it, perhaps you didn't realise it but you were implying it's either this or paid.
We were discussing about having all maps be available in rotation and you come in saying you are happy with it and just glad they aren't paid..when no one was talking about paid maps.

No i was more saying with "this" is free maps combined with packs stuff. Like Halo, Overwatch etc. Better then paid dlc maps like Battlefield.

Hale_C

Was replaying gears 3 yesterday in anticipation of unlock this evening, and reminded of how annoyingly hard it is to actually die in solo single player. It makes most stuff super easy even on hardcore (haven't tried insane) because you just get rezzed every time you fuck up. What's it like in 4? Are you rez-able in solo?

Xater

Was replaying gears 3 yesterday in anticipation of unlock this evening, and reminded of how annoyingly hard it is to actually die in solo single player. It makes most stuff super easy even on hardcore (haven't tried insane) because you just get rezzed every time you fuck up. What's it like in 4? Are you rez-able in solo?

You are, but the enemies are somewhat more aggressive about executing you and there is lots of stuff that can kill you instantly because of high damage.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I think I settled on playing the heavy in Horde for now. Having 60% bonus damage on explosives is nuts.
I found myself playing soldier since randoms are terribad and spend all the resources on crap and not OP manned turrets + 20% AR damage is super sweet.

Hale_C

You are, but the enemies are somewhat more aggressive about executing you and there is lots of stuff that can kill you instantly because of high damage.

Hm, I don't suppose there's some option to disable sp rez-ing? Probably too much to hope for. Does it still feel like a good challenge?

Xater

Hm, I don't suppose there's some option to disable sp rez-ing? Probably too much to hope for. Does it still feel like a good challenge?

Yes, there were multiples segments I had to try a couple of times. At least on Hardcore. On anything below that it's probably a cake walk.

Hale_C

Yes, there were multiples segments I had to try a couple of times. At least on Hardcore. On anything below that it's probably a cake walk.

Cool, thanks. I'll be playing on HC so hopefully I have a similar experience, otherwise I'll just end up bored.

nowarning

Scout's really good in Horde, double power when picked up before end of wave and 20% bonus on deposit on top of that from one of the skills, I think it can go up to an extra 50%? had like 50k ready to spend at one point just with randoms.

tommyguns

Pre ordered the standard edition digitally! Can't wait until tomorrow after work!

Any idea when we will get the codes for gears 1,2,3, and judgment if we pre ordered digitally?

In my experience so far the only major advantage is for snipers. I'm playing controller on PC and doing just as fine as I do on console. Snipers seem to headshot me much more than on console, but other than that no one seems too advantageous.

The real issue on PC is the player base being like, nonexistent thus far. I can't play anything but TDM because it doesn't find a game. We need cross-play. Seriously, just disable KB/M while in matchmaking and allow controller PC players to pool with console.

Yep, they really need to get cross-play in for public multiplayer, even if it's only for certain game modes.

Otherwise I fear online will be a wasteland for PC gamers in a couple of months, and that's not fair.

The KB+M advantage just isn't there with Gears compared to other games. at least not for the most part.

Doikor

The EMBAR is basically a tougher Longshot, only headshots can kill from full health, no actual scope, strict time restriction on shot, a charge delay.

But it's a lot of fun to use still.

With a mouse EMBAR is crazy powerful too. The increased rate of fire makes you much more deadly and hitting heads isn't really a problem with a mouse (heads are big in GoW and everything moves slowly). I never really use the scope on the Longshot on PC anyway. I quite often win against gnasher guys who get close just by headshotting them from close up with EMBAR (if I have enough time to charge it up)

edit:
Yep, they really need to get cross-play in for public multiplayer, even if it's only for certain game modes.

Otherwise I fear online will be a wasteland for PC gamers in a couple of months, and that's not fair.

The KB+M advantage just isn't there with Gears compared to other games. at least not for the most part.

For me there is a clear advantage. I routinely rack up about as much score in Horde as the rest of my team of console counterparts. Headshotting everything all the time (and I do mean all the time. Basically with the EMBAR you can just shoot as fast at it charges with every hit being a headshot quite easily with a mouse) in horde is crazy strong (as there is no PvP between console/pc can't really compare that). I think if mouse players were let into PvP with console players they would have to make Longshot headshots not oneshot or make the Longshot much more rare in the maps. Basically the mouse advantage comes in when very fast high precision movements are is what gets you the win (sniping without using the zoom/scope)

Yeah. Even if they forced controller use on PC to play cross play, that'd be a better alternative to having dead matchmaking.

N7.Angel

I see why this game has 24 maps incoming, the ones in the retail version aren't bad but they're just boring and most of the environments feel similar. Still enjoying the shit out of it though.

Definitely, The maps aren't that good and their maps rotation system doesn't make any sense, in fact everything from the Season Pass, to the unlock system to micros transaction doesn't make any sense in this game...

Gears 3 launched with Checkout, Drydock, Hotel, Old Town, Sandbar, Thrashball, and Trenches. ( remove the bad one ) Gears 4 maps aren't even close to the quality of those maps, I hope Coalition will bring more diversity in environments and remove their stupid rotation maps... The game will be boring quickly If we're playing the same old maps everytime, especially if they aren't that good.

Novocaine

Couple of questions about Horde;

Do the waves scale depending on how many people are on?

And

Can the bounty cards be done in multiple runs or do they have to be done in 1 run?

Theorry

When did Singapore become such a glorious country? Bought The Division in the Brazilian Uplay Store.

Because for this game and most MS games the Singapore price is the best really. And gives that "early access" also if you are west from Singapore. Also easy gift cards from the MS store is ideal. Not many store have gift cards for countries and for standard edition games the price is 70SGA wich you can do easy with a 50 and 20 gift card. So you are not overpaying. :)

Theorry

I doubt many main pc players have bought the Ultimate edition. I mean is not that Gears is for years on the PC already. PC players dont like the price already for the standard version let alone the UE version. And alot of PC players probably waited for some info about the PC version itself. Btw how is social matchmaking on PC? Or does ranked have problems?

so split the pc player base even more?

I know this is the early access launch period, but based on my experience over the weekend it's not going to have enough of a player base to sustain itself anyways. If you're spending $60 on this game to play it on PC, and have to deal with massive matchmaking times or a community so small that the less popular playlists become impossible to even find a game, then having a compromise like "disable keyboard/mouse and you can join the Xbox pool of players" would be a pretty damn welcome addition.

Games always drop in player count significantly after launch, so it's totally possible that the game (especially stuck on a platform like Win10 Store where games tend to perform poorly) has an incredibly small user base on PC. Release the game on Steam, and we likely won't have as much of a problem, but that's another story.

For me there is a clear advantage. I routinely rack up about as much score in Horde as the rest of my team of console counterparts. Headshotting everything all the time (and I do mean all the time. Basically with the EMBAR you can just shoot as fast at it charges with every hit being a headshot quite easily with a mouse) in horde is crazy strong (as there is no PvP between console/pc can't really compare that). I think if mouse players were let into PvP with console players they would have to make Longshot headshots not oneshot or make the Longshot much more rare in the maps. Basically the mouse advantage comes in when very fast high precision movements are is what gets you the win (sniping without using the zoom/scope)

Yes, snipers are a clear advantage, but that's the only stand out thing. Plus it will stand out more in Horde where the enemy aren't as mobile as a human player would be.

But they could make some playlists that don't feature the sniper weapons if they really had to.

It then gets a bit messy but there needs to be some workaround. This game will have long legs on console but could die very quickly on PC if the don't find a solution. Especially when people start migrating to the other shooters that are coming out soon.

Loomba

Anyone know why the install box on PC is grey under the "You own this product"? Won't even let me attempt to install it. I have the anniversary update

Jubbly

Pick it up with Y and then there is a prompt that you can upgrade by pressing X.

When I pick one up I only ever see the deploy prompt - whatever the upgrade cost is (exact difference between L1 and L2?), can it be split between what you're holding and the Fabricator, or do you need it all on your person?

Skatterd

I'm gonna guess this has probably been answered..but have they said anything about when the xbox 360 gears codes should go out for digital purchases? Didn't see anything.

tuna_love

Banned
When I pick one up I only ever see the deploy prompt - whatever the upgrade cost is (exact difference between L1 and L2?), can it be split between what you're holding and the Fabricator, or do you need it all on your person?
you need to spend enough money with fabricator to level it up first, there is a progress bar when you are in the build menu of it

Anyone want to play some Horde tonight? (European Time)

I'm gonna guess this has probably been answered..but have they said anything about when the xbox 360 gears codes should go out for digital purchases? Didn't see anything.
They already sent them out. You should get a message from Xbox with your codes.

I know this is the early access launch period, but based on my experience over the weekend it's not going to have enough of a player base to sustain itself anyways. If you're spending $60 on this game to play it on PC, and have to deal with massive matchmaking times or a community so small that the less popular playlists become impossible to even find a game, then having a compromise like "disable keyboard/mouse and you can join the Xbox pool of players" would be a pretty damn welcome addition.

Games always drop in player count significantly after launch, so it's totally possible that the game (especially stuck on a platform like Win10 Store where games tend to perform poorly) has an incredibly small user base on PC. Release the game on Steam, and we likely won't have as much of a problem, but that's another story.

I dunno how you can say that it has a dead community already when the only people playing it are folk that paid £80 for it, where the only real perk of that edition is playing early.

If matchmaking is still as dire as you say it is this time next week then fair enough.

Cross Play with Xbone players in VS would be nice for me, I'm happy to use a controller even if its just the social playlist which is all I have been playing anyway as I have no desire to be ranked since im terribad at the game so far.

3DShovel

"Skill based matchmaking"

Me (Gold 3), my teammates: All bronze.

Enemy team? All Gold, 1 Onyx.

Guy on my team went three rounds of KOTH, only got 1 FUCKING KILL. 1!!!

Xater

well they are Bronze against Gold players. What do you expect? Don't rely on this matchmaking to work yet at high skill rating. Not enough players yet for that.

creatchee

With a mouse EMBAR is crazy powerful too. The increased rate of fire makes you much more deadly and hitting heads isn't really a problem with a mouse (heads are big in GoW and everything moves slowly). I never really use the scope on the Longshot on PC anyway. I quite often win against gnasher guys who get close just by headshotting them from close up with EMBAR (if I have enough time to charge it up)

edit:

All of that is contingent on actually getting to the EMBAR or Longhshot. Chances are, you're running into opposition on the pickup, at which point it's Gnashers to see who gets it. Mouse/KB is at a huge disadvantage in a Gnasher duel simply because of the way movement works in the game.

So basically, it balances out.

Theorry

Not nice indeed. But will even out when standard releases and more more people get placements. Believe it was the same with Halo 5 in the beginning for me.

1 guy sounds like me in the social playlist, I thought I was doing well then KOTH came along and it's the only game type I just get straight murdered in.

T.O.P

Banned
14650238_10210494428172udk.jpg

IN

When does the game unlocks for the regular ed?

I dunno how you can say that it has a dead community already when the only people playing it are folk that paid £80 for it, where the only real perk of that edition is playing early.

If matchmaking is still as dire as you say it is this time next week then fair enough.

Cross Play with Xbone players in VS would be nice for me, I'm happy to use a controller even if its just the social playlist which is all I have been playing anyway as I have no desire to be ranked since im terribad at the game so far.

I didn't say it had a dead community, I said based on my experience over the weekend compared to console, as well as based on some assumptions about the Win10 store and quick drop off in population of basically every game, that I can see it being a problem.

I acknowledged it was early access, but on Xbox I can play any game time with no issue, on PC I have yet to play a game type other than TDM and even that takes upwards of 3-4 minutes to find a game. The comparison is already real.

Top Bottom