• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Moofers

Can anybody chime in on whether or not all the characters are unlocked?

Don't really care how long skin variations take to unlock, as long as I get to play as Carmine/evil robot thing off the bat.
Only 5 or 6 are unlocked on each side. No Carmines this time, but you can play a couple different Gears. Gotta unlock them though. Same for the robots.

russbus64

Anyone need Gears 1 through Judgment codes? First to message me gets them.

Back to Gears 4, I am loving the campaign so far. I had similar fears to this as I did Halo 4, but so far gameplay feels good.

Can't wait to finish campaign and jump into Horde or online.

my order finally shipped from Bestbuy.com. I HOpe I get it tomorrow. Can't wait, fucking pumped for this.

10-chick-fil-a-bowl-clemson-fan-2012-13-bowl-season-gifs.gif

I didn't say it had a dead community, I said based on my experience over the weekend compared to console, as well as based on some assumptions about the Win10 store and quick drop off in population of basically every game, that I can see it being a problem.

I acknowledged it was early access, but on Xbox I can play any game time with no issue, on PC I have yet to play a game type other than TDM and even that takes upwards of 3-4 minutes to find a game. The comparison is already real.

I assume this is in ranked versus?

This game could be different from other WStore releases as it's the biggest title to date to be released on it, but I do accept it could go pear shaped.

Really hope it doesn't but I don't have that much faith in Microsoft to merge PC with Xbone in versus if versus is totally dead on PC. If the numbers are that low they will just chalk it up as a few lost players compared to the huge bulk on xbone.

Beepos

Opening act was glorious. The AI is way better as was mentioned earlier. I rushed a locust who was lobbing a grenade only to have him tag me with it as entered chainsawing distance. Love it.

Daximuss

Yeah i'm done with Horde without a squad... People always leaving around wave 20, even if everything went well before.

Every Horde match I've been placed in has had randoms drop out.

On a positive note, my Scout now has a "+60% shotgun damage bonus" class skill card. Using that card with the Overkill shotgun is so much fun!

malfcn

Remember when Gears had no progression what so ever, because I do, and people loved it.

Play it for the game not for pointless packs.

That's the mentality I'm going to have now.
I've got a green trippy gnasher and Rockstar Lancer, so I do have some style. 😎

N7.Angel

A friend of mine bought it on the Singapour store, how many times before the unlocking please ? the board on the first post isn't accurate.

What are the odds that weapon tuning per playlist gets removed? What an annoying "solution" to a non-problem. I don't want to play some of my favorite game types because it's counter intuitive to everything I've learned playing other game types.

It doesn't feel satisfying to develop an understanding of how weapons function and balance against each other, and then go to another mode and fail in a situation where all your experience led you to believe you'd succeed. It gives the misrepresentation that random things are happening, that there's lag, or a glitch of some kind. It's a really bad design choice.

What are the odds that weapon tuning per playlist gets removed? What an annoying "solution" to a non-problem. I don't want to play some of my favorite game types because it's counter intuitive to everything I've learned playing other game types.

It doesn't feel satisfying to develop an understanding of how weapons function and balance against each other, and then go to another mode and fail in a situation where all your experience led you to believe you'd succeed. It gives the misrepresentation that random things are happening, that there's lag, or a glitch of some kind. It's a really bad design choice.

Won't happen soon, but hopefully people make a stink about it. I want the competitive tuning across the board

MarveI

Kinda wish strangers in horde would play according to their selected classes. I picked scout to get double credits for the fabricator but you see every stranger collect them even when you tell them not to. Or when you're engineer to repair all the fortifications but some dude keeps emptying the fabricator :). Was on wave 34 and some guy kept buying so many guns from the fabricator knowing he could get them easily from the enemy drops.

Won it back to back to back with a solid group. Life is really so much easier in horde when you don't play with strangers. My strategy is to let the scout collect the credits and absolutely not buy any fortifications and let it build up to wave 18 or so then buy 2-3 turrets and keep buying turrets then hide them in a good spot and take them out and use them as a group at every 28-29-30th, 38-39-40th, 48-49-50th waves. It becomes SO much easier that way.

Akronis

Based on previous GoW titles, would additional content come to Horde besides cards and maps? Stuff like classes, weapons, enemy types, etc.?

How long does a good game of the horde mode take? I've never actually played it but it sounds good. Is there also a new player tutorial in game or am I going to instantly ruin some peoples day when I go in for the first time?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished up my first playthrough, right at 9 hours in the in-game counter on normal. Found 36/50 collectables, most of the missing ones are in Act 1.

Bravo to The Coalition! I was really worried for the future of Gears (especially campaigns) post Epic given I've been underwhelmed with Halo campaigns post Bungie, but they really nailed it IMO.

Campaign was 100% worthy of the series, with lots of great encounters and set pieces. I liked the new characters and enemies as well, and it did a great job of setting up the series going forward.

Super impressed with how good the PC port runs as well, probably the best looking and performing game I've played to date. Looking forward to checking out Horde later after getting some work done. I've never been big on Gears Vs MP, but I'll check that out as well--though probably tomorrow and beyond in hopes the standard release bumps PC player population.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Based on previous GoW titles, would additional content come to Horde besides cards and maps? Stuff like classes, weapons, enemy types, etc.?

I hope they do add more. More multipliers, customization and additions of maps and structures perhaps.

There is so much they can do and I hope we get a lot more going for it.

3DShovel

I said it just earlier, but they really shouldn't penalize people for quitting when the lobby isn't full. In a mode where JIP is disabled, you just can't be expected to win 3v5 in something like KOTH. Or any mode, for that matter.

It's almost like TC didn't even look at what other games are doing these days.

I said it just earlier, but they really shouldn't penalize people for quitting when the lobby isn't full. In a mode where JIP is disabled, you just can't be expected to win 3v5 in something like KOTH. Or any mode, for that matter.

It's almost like TC didn't even look at what other games are doing these days.

Biggest pet peeve of MP is that bots don't join matches when a person leaves. Like, I hate bots as much as the next guy, but 1v5 KOTH is pretty pointless.

Nere

On a side note I would also like to buy Gears of War UE from the windows store. Do they ever have sales over there or should I just buy it at full price?

I've been asking multiple times but my posts got lost in all the craziness: could someone who also has the physical copy of the ultimate edition tell me if you have issues with the Brothers To The End pack?

The 3 skins and gold lancer and gnasher didn't unlock for me, although the pack is installed from the marketplace and it shows up on my HDD with the icon of Adam Fenix. Spent almost 1 hour with the absolutely useless Microsoft support on chat and they kept telling me that the skins should only unlock on the 11th, the official release date. I find that very hard to believe since my other bonuses worked, including the 17 loot crates. Any answer is appreciated.

Also, was I supposed to receive a separate code for BTTE? Because all I got was the season pass code and the codes for older Gears games.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Don't they join in Social?

yeah but you're limited to teams of 2 so if you want to play with friends you have to pick core modes.

I understand they don't want teams just rolling newcomers but they really should add a team social mode or something. Core is pain when you just want to play and people quit. Getting stomped because you're 3v5 isn't fun.

Lren

Bought my brother and my close friend digital copies of the game two nights ago. 60fps Horde mode on PC feels so good, it needed to be shared.

Theorry

On a side note I would also like to buy Gears of War UE from the windows store. Do they ever have sales over there or should I just buy it at full price?

There are sales yeah. Also the game is abit cheaper now on cdkeys,com.
That cdkeys have the game now already is a good thing also. That means over time it probably get even cheaper there. Like Halo 5 is now there 17 euro and MCC like 8 euro.

yeah but you're limited to teams of 2 so if you want to play with friends you have to pick core modes.

I understand they don't want teams just rolling newcomers but they really should add a team social mode or something. Core is pain when you just want to play and people quit. Getting stomped because you're 3v5 isn't fun.

I feel like anymore playlists and the game might become too fragmented.

Nere

There are sales yeah. Also the game is abit cheaper now on cdkeys,com.
That cdkeys have the game now already is a good thing also. That means over time it probably get even cheaper there. Like Halo 5 is now there 17 euro and MCC like 8 euro.

But can you buy it for the PC from cdkeys?

Top Bottom