• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Angel_DvA

One of the best Gears of War ever made if not the best, I have some complaints here and there about the multiplayer on few things but it can be fixed if Coalition is listening to its fan base, almost everything is in their forum ( Ridiculous Microtransaction, Unlocked system, footsteps, shooting after roadie running or going out walls etc... )

The campaign is awesome and clearly a better start for the Gears series than Halo 4 was for Halo, they need to take some risks though, the game can't stay in 2006, they need to move on even if it'll piss some fanatics, only the multiplayer doesn't need drastic changes. Congrats Coalition.

Are the enemy factions pretty fleshed out in this game? One thing that I loved about Gears 2 was the pure variety in enemies. You had all the bipedal Locusts with various weapons, the Brood riders, Tickers, Brumaks, Corpsers, the flying squid dudes, and much more.

With the "reset" in Gears 4, I'm concerned that we're back at square one and the only enemy variety comes from weapon swaps. Is this the case?

Are the enemy factions pretty fleshed out in this game? One thing that I loved about Gears 2 was the pure variety in enemies. You had all the bipedal Locusts with various weapons, the Brood riders, Tickers, Brumaks, Corpsers, the flying squid dudes, and much more.

With the "reset" in Gears 4, I'm concerned that we're back at square one and the only enemy variety comes from weapon swaps. Is this the case?

Rest easy, there's a big variety of enemies in Gears of War 4.

Moofers

I completed the campaign over the weekend and I gotta say, it was awesome. The old faces, the intense sequences, the frantic combat, and the gorgeous level design made it a great ride! I am excited for the future of the series!
I just hope somehow Clayton Carmine is still alive or that the tradition of killing people in that family can be over. South Park moved on and let Kenny live, so maybe Gears could do the same. He was a great character in 3!

Multiplayer is fun for me, but I'm mostly a Horde player. In fact, my old leaderboard chasing crew has reassembled and I think we're going to make a run at this one. Everyone seems to love it aside from how loooooooooong we think its going to take us to get to level 10 so we can equip 5 skills each. Good thing playing for the fun of it is a draw because if we were only in it to gain levels and unlock stuff, I think its far too grindy right now to hang onto people. I really hope they bring in the Locust waves from Gears 3 though because the diversity there felt a lot greater with the Maulers, Flamers, Kantus, Therons, etc.

I played some King of the Hill last night too and holy balls it looks great in 60fps. I wish Horde was 60fps. Can you do 60 for Horde and Campaign on PC if your card rocks hard enough?

Very happy with the game and really impressed with the work at The Coalition. I know its early to say this, but we need more character and weapon skins via DLC stat! I know it JUST CAME OUT but guys/gals c'mon.....no rest for the wicked. ;)

And I gotta have my Onyx Guard or Clayton Carmine character! And my flaming Lancer like the Halo 3 beta reward! Too many pink bubbles and other similar skins for my liking. I won't complain about those as I know plenty of people like those, but I like to keep my small part in Gears pretty fucking metal so I roll Onyx Guard with flaming weapons!

Rock on, TC! \m/

I've only reached the end of Act 3 but there's definitely variety in the Swarm enemies. A few feel a bit like Swarm versions of the Locust but there's some that really stand out. The Juvies are probably my favourite so far. It's pretty intense when they outnumber you and the noise they make is creepy as hell.

Caayn

Was it ever explained why they didn't limit competitive to controller only so that people can play on PC?
It'd be down for a controller only playlist, with PC and XB1 crossplay.

But there'll always be an asshole who lets his/her M/K act as a controller.

Daximuss

It's a local retailer from Romania. So weren't we supposed to receive the BTTE pack or a code for it?

I think my BTTE content was included in my code mailed to me from Amazon.

If you're showing that you have the BTTE dlc on your hard drive, have you tried re-downloading it from the marketplace?

Initially I thought the Juvies would feel like re-skinned Wretches, but they weren't joking when they said they help players prepare for wallbouncers in MP - they jump around all over the place and are so aggressive.

I've said it before, but I think the Swarm are more fun to fight than the Locust (they're smarter too).

corin7

Neo Member
It'd be down for a controller only playlist, with PC and XB1 crossplay.

But there'll always be an asshole who lets his/her M/K act as a controller.

I don't think it is really that big of deal. Seems like for close quarters controller users have an advantage and for range weapons mouse keyboard has the advantage. I tried both but man after hundreds of hours the muscle memory is real. It just doesn't feel right without a controller.

Initially I thought the Juvies would feel like re-skinned Wretches, but they weren't joking when they said they help players prepare for wallbouncers in MP - they jump around all over the place and are so aggressive.

I've said it before, but I think the Swarm are more fun to fight than the Locust (they're smarter too).

Yeah, the AI's definitely improved. It's a hell of a lot harder to kill things with frags when they actually make an effort to jump out of the way and they seem even more aggressive than the Locust, especially the Grenadiers.

Tain

I'm assuming the answer to this is a hard "no" and I'm sure this has been asked already somewhere (hell if I can find it), but I don't somehow get a Windows 10 version of this if I buy the Xbox One version physically, do I?

Are search times normally long on Xbox as well?

I've been playing on PC but it was impossible to find a match in a reasonable time so I decided to try Xbox, but it's still taking me a long time to find a match.

I'm assuming the answer to this is a hard "no" and I'm sure this has been asked already somewhere (hell if I can find it), but I don't somehow get a Windows 10 version of this if I buy the Xbox One version physically, do I?

Nope, digital only

nOoblet16

Are search times normally long on Xbox as well?

I've been playing on PC but it was impossible to find a match in a reasonable time so I decided to try Xbox, but it's still taking me a long time to find a match.

Nope, digital only
It's not search times that are long, it's the loading. Seems to be a bug because at times it's fast and other times it's slow. In social the maps load quick but not in ranked

SlickVic

I went with Hardcore as I usually do on my first playthrough. I've died more than usual but it seems like the best choice if you've played the others. If it's any indication, Insane is going to be tough.

Yeah guess I'll try it on Hardcore first and bump it down if I die a million times in the first couple hours.

Enjoying the game so far, however I'll admit that
Act I and II
were not really interesting to me, but it really picks up when
Act III
starts, that's the Gears atmosphere that I love.

Also, I have codes for a copy of Gears 1, 2, 3 and Judgment so please PM me if you want one.

Pretty sure this is the Gears of War band's promotional photo.

preview.jpg

pizzacat

Banned

Most of the enemies that can walk on 2 legs look the same. The rest tho pretty different

Grisby

Where's my wallpaper of (completely massive beginning of act 2 character spoiler)
Anya's grave
? Dammit Coalition.

3DShovel

King of the Hill is just a shitshow of people camping in corners around the hill and using active Lancer.

The Lancer has like what, 60 bullets in it's clip? I was returning fire with my hammerburst, got downed, and apparently it only took 7 bullets to down me.

What kind of absolute bullshit is that? Rifles in general need a nerf, because right now they're making it really unattractive to want to actually go for the hill.

For example, Gridlock is an absolute disaster. When the hill switches over to the frags, people just don't even go for it. They wait for you to try and cap it and then just Lancer you from the towers.

And it's fucking effective. You can get downed from a Lancer across the map no problem.

Coalition, fix this shit. It's fucking broken.

Edzi

Finally got my codes for Gears 1-Judgement.

So, as someone totally new to this series, how important is it that I play through the campaigns of the previous games including Judgement? I'm thinking about just hopping on to the GOW4 multiplayer tonight, while leaving the campaign alone until I work through at least 1-3.

So, as someone totally new to this series, how important is it that I play through the campaigns of the previous games including Judgement? I'm thinking about just hopping on to the GOW4 multiplayer tonight, while leaving the campaign alone until I work through at least 1-3.

I personally feel the campaign is wonderful introduction to the series if you don't wanna make the time commitment for the others. however, as is typical with getting into a series this old, you will feel less of an emotional response to many things

corin7

Neo Member

If you really care about the campaign I would do 1-3 at least. Judgement you can get to later if you really fall in love with the series. It's not a terrible game but easily the worst of the bunch and the least interesting.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Definitely play through 1-3.

corin7

Neo Member
Ugh I'm on the fence. I've only scratched the surface of FH3, and I'm getting BF1 day one. I don't need to get this rn. But...

I feel you. All of that, and Dragon Quest Builders tomorrow, and PS VR and at least 8 games on Thursday. I have decided to just embrace the despair of an overwhelming backlog. This is probably the most brutal month for releases I can remember. But also buy this game, it is incredible.

Edzi

I personally feel the campaign is wonderful introduction to the series if you don't wanna make the time commitment for the others. however, as is typical with getting into a series this old, you will feel less of an emotional response to many things

If you really care about the campaign I would do 1-3 at least. Judgement you can get to later if you really fall in love with the series. It's not a terrible game but easily the worst of the bunch and the least interesting.

Definitely play through 1-3.

Thanks, I'll work my way to 1-3 for sure.

I should be fine jumping into GOW4 multiplayer ASAP though, right?

cackhyena

I feel you. All of that, and Dragon Quest Builders tomorrow, and PS VR and at least 8 games on Thursday. I have decided to just embrace the despair of an overwhelming backlog. This is probably the most brutal month for releases I can remember. But also buy this game, it is incredible.
Goddamnit!

Spawn swaps need to be more clear. They are rubbish at present.

The gnasher is still too powerful if you ask me. There's certain people I've played against who stand, hard-aim and get kills from crazy ranges.

Hale_C

Midway through chapter 2, initial impressions of SP only.

+ Gunplay and movement feels excellent, especially at 60fps with kb+m. The best that Gears has ever been in this regard, and still feels surprisingly relevant given how old the core system is. The new vaulting and execution mechanics are a fun addition.
+ Each gun feels fun to use, and there's some inventive twists that keep them interesting.
+ IQ is great, it generally looks really good (with caveats, below) and is very well optimised. I'm at locked 60 with everything high or above on a 3570k @ 3.4ghz and 780ti.
+ Writing and pacing is decent, again the best that Gears has been as far as I can tell. I don't love the characters but I'm not put off by them like some previous iterations. I'm glad it doesn't yet take itself too seriously, because it's pretty fucking silly and needs a sense of humour.
+ CHARACTER SPOILER
Marcus lost the soul patch, thank god. He no longer looks like an enormous tool.

- Not wild about the art design (again, I'm still fairly early in the game). It looks a bit predictable and formulaic, especially some of the
earlier deebee zones
. Hopefully this will get better as it goes along.
- It's too easy on Hardcore, thanks to the AI rezzing (just like Gears 3). Again, it's early days, so it might get harder down the line, and thankfully Insane is unlocked from the off so I might switch over to that later.

Gonna get back to it, I'm definitely having fun and looking forward to checking out MP in a bit.

corin7

Neo Member

Yeah and you probably will want to. By the time you get through all the campaigns you would be really behind in skill and map knowledge and it could be a real frustrating time getting up to speed.

Thanks, I'll work my way to 1-3 for sure.

Yeah for sure. I would definitely watch some streams to see how it's played if your aren't familiar. The series has a set of quirky mechanics that might be obtuse for new players.

nOoblet16

King of the Hill is just a shitshow of people camping in corners around the hill and using active Lancer.

The Lancer has like what, 60 bullets in it's clip? I was returning fire with my hammerburst, got downed, and apparently it only took 7 bullets to down me.

What kind of absolute bullshit is that? Rifles in general need a nerf, because right now they're making it really unattractive to want to actually go for the hill.

For example, Gridlock is an absolute disaster. When the hill switches over to the frags, people just don't even go for it. They wait for you to try and cap it and then just Lancer you from the towers.

And it's fucking effective. You can get downed from a Lancer across the map no problem.

Coalition, fix this shit. It's fucking broken.
And I just played a KOTH on Gridlock and it was absolutely shit. The actual hill on that map is the sniper point because no one goes anywhere else.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
More than a week since I started playing, I got those Gears 1-3 codes for 360. Anyone want them? First person to quote gets them.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm happy that they took a break on this series for a bit. I think I took this series for granted after 3. Well, except for Judgement. I think I'll have to try that one again, because boy did I not like it at the time.

Boy am I having a blast with this game. Runs quite well on PC too. I was nervous about it after I had a lot of problems with Forza Horizon 3, but the Unreal 4 engine is letting me almost lock at 60 on my 970 and my i5-2500k.

I'm going to wait until tomorrow or midnight est to hop into the multiplayer. I'm not sure if the people playing multiplayer right now ever stopped playing gears because boy am I terrible at it.

TaterTots

Banned
Spawn swaps need to be more clear. They are rubbish at present.

The gnasher is still too powerful if you ask me. There's certain people I've played against who stand, hard-aim and get kills from crazy ranges.

There is a sound played for spawn swaps, but if you're firing your gun good luck hearing it. There should be a message that pops up imo.

Top Bottom