• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

NullMoon

Neo Member
ur a savage for making it that far. Great job!

Haha, thanks. It's been challenging so far but in a good way.

On a randome note, any finish the Campain on Insane yet? I went through Gears of War UE Remaster not long ago on Insane and breezed through it but It's been years since I played Gears 1-3 on insane so my memory is a bit foggy on difficult they were. How would you guys rate Gears 4 on Insane compaired to previous games. Despite not finishing 4 yet I would rate it the hardest if not one of the hardest in the series.

I'm enjoying the campaign quite a bit. Currently in Act IV.. I just jumped right in w/ 4.. I started playing Gears 1, but didn't finish.. I like the characters in 4 and want to see where the story goes.

Will probably check out multiplayer after I finish the campaign.

Leyasu

Banned
Just finished the campaign.

9h11m on hardcore solo... Gotta say it, awesome campaign! Probably the best gears campaign yet. But, even though the new cast were good, playing that with Marcus, Dom, Baird and Cole with the usual banter would have elevated it into legendary status Imo.

Now to concentrate on horde and versus. Plus I need to find a coop partner for an insane run.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Really liking the campaign! It sure does pick up quick
once you meet up with Marcus

I have a few questions though, up to Act III

Am I supposed to know why Marcus and JD aren't on good terms? I didn't play the last gears game.

Am I also not supposed to know how Anya died up to this point? Or did that happen in a previous game?

Why are the kids calling the Locust the Swarm? Aren't they one in the same? I know time has passed but seems like maybe 25 years tops?

aBarreras

Am I supposed to know why Marcus and JD aren't on good terms? I didn't play the last gears game.

Am I also not supposed to know how Anya died up to this point? Or did that happen in a previous game?

Why are the kids calling the Locust the Swarm? Aren't they one in the same? I know time has passed but seems like maybe 25 years tops?

those aren't locusts, no you shouldnt know what happened between marcus and jd, and neither what happened to anya

From what I understand it's a bit vague, but Marcus scolds JD when they first meet in his house that he joined the COG against his wise advice and then once JD became a COG he became an outsider against his wise advice because they would then hunt him down for the rest of his life. JD's life choices basically have caused Marcus to have a hard time in his post military years.

Justinh

Beat the campaign (only on Hardcore, though) yesterday. Thought it was pretty good [Act V minor spoilers?]:
but I thought Act V was pretty weak after being all "this is awesome" for a couple minutes. It felt like it ended abruptly, too. Left me kinda disappointed. I guess there's hope for story DLC, since they usually do those, right?

All in all, I thought the campaign was really great. I played Horde a little bit solo just to get a feel for it, but I bet it's a lot more fun with friends. I used to have a blast with Gears 3's Horde Mode with a buddy.

MarveI

So I am having a weird issue. Did they change the amount of bosses on horde ? I started a private match with some people instead of selecting normal I picked casual so on each wave (10, 20) it was 2 bosses each time. But on wave 40 now casual that is, we had to fight 3 ! snatchers and I'm not sure if that was the last of him as we failed. I was totally not expecting 3 bosses on casual wave 40. Did they up the amount of bosses ? This is a bit absurd.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Beat the campaign (only on Hardcore, though) yesterday. Thought it was pretty good Act V minor spoilers?:
but I thought Act V was pretty weak after being all "this is awesome" for a couple minutes. It felt like it ended abruptly, too. Left me kinda disappointed. I guess there's hope for story DLC, since they usually do those, right?

All in all, I thought the campaign was really great. I played Horde a little bit solo just to get a feel for it, but I bet it's a lot more fun with friends. I used to have a blast with Gears 3's Horde Mode with a buddy.

I just replayed act V in co-op and it also struck me how
sudden the ending is. Even in the mech section I thought there'd be more afterwards, but then it's suddenly over. The shift from mech section to final cutscene was very sudden, and the ending itself also came very abruptly. Don't get me wrong, I thought the campaign had a pretty perfect length (10 ish hours is more than enough), but the final stretch had some weird direction.

Caja 117

Finally got my codes for Gears 1-Judgement.

So, as someone totally new to this series, how important is it that I play through the campaigns of the previous games including Judgement? I'm thinking about just hopping on to the GOW4 multiplayer tonight, while leaving the campaign alone until I work through at least 1-3.

You got it via xbox live message?

I still have not received myne and Im not sure if Im really going to get it or to call customer service to see whats up.

Grisby

spoileralert.gif

SPOILER ALERT SPOOOILER ALERT

http://abload.de/img/gearsofwar410_9_20161nkxa3.png

Here you go
:( Sniff.

Thanks.

Lucifon

I just replayed act V in co-op and it also struck me how
sudden the ending is. Even in the mech section I thought there'd be more afterwards, but then it's suddenly over. The shift from mech section to final cutscene was very sudden, and the ending itself also came very abruptly. Don't get me wrong, I thought the campaign had a pretty perfect length (10 ish hours is more than enough), but the final stretch had some weird direction.

Just finished the game and came on here to say that. The final boss was awesome fun but then that's it, they reach her in the smallest cave and it suddenly ends. I had to look up the reference that the ending alluded to to even understand it - played all the other gears games but couldn't remember what that was.

Mifec

Just finished the game and came on here to say that. The final boss was awesome fun but then that's it, they reach her in the smallest cave and it suddenly ends. I had to look up the reference that the ending alluded to to even understand it - played all the other gears games but couldn't remember what that was.

The Locust Queen's emblem, she is her granddaughter.

Are the enemy factions pretty fleshed out in this game? One thing that I loved about Gears 2 was the pure variety in enemies. You had all the bipedal Locusts with various weapons, the Brood riders, Tickers, Brumaks, Corpsers, the flying squid dudes, and much more.

With the "reset" in Gears 4, I'm concerned that we're back at square one and the only enemy variety comes from weapon swaps. Is this the case?

I found the variety lacking sadly.
And in MP the swarm options are all clones.

JimiNutz

Banned
How are the bots?
Are they as brain dead as they used to be or more intelligent and challenging?
By bots I don't mean those in Horde, I mean the ones that you can play TDM, Execution, KOTH etc with.

vort3x

OK so one thing I miss from gears 3 is being able to have your starting weapon be hammer burst or lancer automatically. Now you have to do it before every match.

Another thing that's a bit annoying is because of 30fps and 60fps I'm constantly changing the target sensitivity between modes.

aBarreras

you played all the gears and didnt recognize the locust emblem?

Lucifon

The Locust Queen's emblem, she is her granddaughter.

Yeah I found out online. I don't really get the implications of that though. It's not like they ended with any kind of setup for more. It's a big reveal sure but... She's dead. I'm guessing her mum isn't dead as you never actually saw her die so she probably ends up being some Swarm queen or something.

you played all the gears and didnt recognize the locust emblem?

I thought it was that but wasn't 100% sure. I don't really follow or remember much of the details of the lore. I play the campaigns for the fun set pieces and the characters.

Edzi

You got it via xbox live message?

I still have not received myne and Im not sure if Im really going to get it or to call customer service to see whats up.

I ordered it over a week ago and just got mine through xbox message a couple hours ago. Seems to take a while.

Yeah I found out online. I don't really get the implications of that though. It's not like they ended with any kind of setup for more. It's a big reveal sure but... She's dead. I'm guessing her mum isn't dead as you never actually saw her die so she probably ends up being some Swarm queen or something.

You dont see where this is most likely heading?

Based on the fact that skins are listed as "launch series" does anyone else believe well see halo 5-esque updates added that add themed skins and characters?

Similar to halos memories of reach addition.

GreyWind

Based on the fact that skins are listed as "launch series" does anyone else believe well see halo 5-esque updates added that add themed skins and characters?

Similar to halos memories of reach addition.

Yeah I hopes so. The current available character selection is a bit disappointing.

Yeah I hopes so. The current available character selection is a bit disappointing.

Agreed.
I unlocked my 3 cogs i like and one deebee and now i give no fucks about progression because the lineup is weak.
Wheres my zeta team and wheres sofia and paduk man?
And Im in the camp that believes locust will join horde mode and MP in an update.
please TC?

novabolt

Has anyone else downloaded the awesome wallpaper of JD, Kait and Del together from XBOX?

There's also wallpaper with Marcus with a new female character too.

nowarning

I've found achievements work when you have the Xbox App open while playing a Win10 game. Achievements will pop-up like the Win10 default system notifications.

That's the only I don't like about...that Xbox/PC aren't as streamlined as it should be.

Still want an Xbox Big Picture Mode on PC !!

Thanks! I had the app open earlier and achievements registered but didn't pop, stupid me didn't have the notifications turned on.

Just finished a full horde game, people left during the game but a few also joined whilst in progress. Ended up with 3 of us for the last 10 waves but we finished it.

Nere

Game is awesome my only problem though are the graphics. There must be something wrong because the textures are really low res, not my character's but on the world and from the enemies. I am playing on the PC btw, put the textures on ultra on a 970m with 3gb vram. Thought I might had put them too high and didn't had enough vram but when I put them on High they got even worse, so I dunno. Granted I only played Horde so maybe the graphics are lowered there because of many characters on screen? I don't know. Anyone had that issue?

Sky87

I knew the port was going to be great, but i wasn't expecting 100+ fps constantly. Game looks and plays wonderfully, but it feels weird playing a Gears game with mouse+kb. Aiming works flawlessly, but moving cover to cover, reloading while roadierunning etc will take some getting used to for multiplayer.

I've found achievements work when you have the Xbox App open while playing a Win10 game. Achievements will pop-up like the Win10 default system notifications.

That's the only I don't like about...that Xbox/PC aren't as streamlined as it should be.

Still want an Xbox Big Picture Mode on PC !!

Are you sure? I don't have my Xbox app open and i'm getting achievements fine (just got one for 25 perfect reloads). Also got plenty in FH3. Make sure the Xbox App is allowed to run in the background (Settings, Privacy, Background apps).

Top Bottom