• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Grisby

Time for Insane solo. Wish me luck
GL. Some sections seem like they'll be pretty tough.
Based on the fact that skins are listed as "launch series" does anyone else believe well see halo 5-esque updates added that add themed skins and characters?

Similar to halos memories of reach addition.
I think that's the only way to take that. Yep, they'll have others.

I think I'm spoiled though by Overwatch's skins. Hook me up with me some kind of crazy outfit than than a zombie or day glo paint one.

Dubz

After playing all weekend on PC, I've settled in with the game pad. I know I'm giving up accuracy, but I mostly play a CQC movement game anyways. Plus I'm much better with a game pad.

LowParry

After playing all weekend on PC, I've settled in with the game pad. I know I'm giving up accuracy, but I mostly play a CQC movement game a ways. Plus I'm much better with a game pad.

Gears just plays better on a pad. I play pad on the PC all the time and I'm usually top 3 with kills all the time.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
After playing all weekend on PC, I've settled in with the game pad. I know I'm giving up accuracy, but I mostly play a CQC movement game a ways. Plus I'm much better with a game pad.

I'm just hoping it's possible to be competitive with the sniper rifle on PC using a controller.

Kalentan

Anyone disappointed that there is no maps that look like Act 3 chapters 1 ~ 4?

Or Act 5 chapter 3?

I feel like there is an overabundance of industrial maps.

What on earth does "Play this game for now, or buy it to own forever" mean?
I'm getting that message on the Windows Store version I got from an Nvidia code.

Wuiji

Been sat here in a loading screen for Social Versus for 5 minutes...

1318521000711.gif

B3N1

Played 4h40m of campaign on Hardcore (finished Act 3), and it's been fun so far. The prologue was full fanservice in seeing young Dom, Hoffman and Kim, but othere than that it was pretty much pointless.

Imo Act 1 was a bit boring, but as others have said, it picks up after that.

I gotta say, as soon as juvies are introduced, encounter design takes a huge jump in quality. I can't remember when have I had such fights in gears before. I love how they're supposed to be just replacement wretches, but are more agile, less powerful and have all kinds of special movement even through rails. Way more fun to play against.

Whole Act 3 is a blast, I'm already dreading the museum fight on Insane though.

Drones seem smarter, had one rush me before and they tend to execute a lot. Map design fits my Gnasher+Lancer only style pretty well, bunch of covers and occasional flanking routes.

The new weapons are all great so far, playing against a Dropshot in Campaign is something else.

Jumped into some social KOTH too, it feels great, but some of the skins are ugly as hell. Like pink-green painted soldiers, zombies and bodypainted pink robed dudes. I unlocked a foam shotgun too, which is epic grade, but it looks hideous.

But it's still Gears.

Finished the campaign with online with my friend on hardcore and boy was it a treat. I experienced audio skipping and hitching during the cutscenes but chalked it up to lag (my friend did not experience this)

Started a solo play through on normal and these issues although rare still persist. Has anyone experienced this as well?

All my games are installed on an external 4TB drive btw.

Back to the campaign:

I've read this or heard this elsewhere but Gears 4 is to the Gears franchise what SW EP VII was to the SW franchise. Did The Coalition do anything revolutionary? Nope. Was it same old Gears? Yup. And I loved it because they gave me what I was looking for.

The core gameplay loop feels as fun as ever.
Totally missed Cole and Sam during Hoffman's ceremony and The Coalition did excellent camera work too mainly focus on Hoffman and leave Cole and Sam in the background.

Trailers completely ruined the moment when JD sees Marcus again but I was so excited when I saw Cole and Baird. My friend was spot on about the DeeBees being Baird's creation and he even called DB as in Damon Baird.

The ending was totally a cliffhanger but I expected as much. Although years away I hope Gears 5 sees The Coalition introduce new mechanics and have them cut loose and really make Gears there own. They have definitely done it right before doing it differently.

UberLevi

Just pre-ordered. Downloading it from the Windows Store now, and it's taking ages. 7gb after like an hour and a half, good thing I won't be playing until this time tomorrow.

Gears just plays better on a pad. I play pad on the PC all the time and I'm usually top 3 with kills all the time.

You're playing against people who probably haven't played Gears at all, or haven't played it in awhile not to mention it's a limited amount of people since the standard edition isn't out yet.

Even for someone like me who has played Gears a ton, it's taking a while to adjust to m/kb after a decade of controller being muscle memory

B3N1

So sad, I thought my game would unlock at midnight but it didn't. Must be because it's an Nvidia code :(

That depends on where you set your region when entering the code. I opened up Xbox.com in another tab and set it to Singapore, then redeemed the Nvidia code. This way I had the Singapore unlock date.
The game got revoked tough :)

Arkanius

That depends on where you set your region when entering the code. I opened up Xbox.com in another tab and set it to Singapore, then redeemed the Nvidia code. This way I had the Singapore unlock date.
The game got revoked tough :)

Oh fuck. My xbox.com homepage is set to United States since I rather have things in English.

This is fucking retarded Microsoft.

kodecraft

Are you sure? I don't have my Xbox app open and i'm getting achievements fine (just got one for 25 perfect reloads). Also got plenty in FH3. Make sure the Xbox App is allowed to run in the background (Settings, Privacy, Background apps).

I'm sure but can only speak for myself. When I had the App open along with playing the achievements popped up. When I closed it sometimes they would still register but you wouldn't know that because there wasn't the pop-up.

I like pop-ups when I get an achievement not silent rewards that I discover later and say "oh hey I unlocked this earlier" and didn't even realize it.

Did they just increase how many coins you get for games!? Got 78 credits for a TDM for winning! If so than thank the heavens, now we just need the load times for matches fixed and this game is god tier (already amazing) while teammates have been sucking it up, with one friend this game is so fucking fun. Today has been one of the most fun days for gears.

Ecto311

Does the streaming to a windows 10 PC from the xbox disc version shit the bed when you get an achievement for anyone else? It almost cuts the connection and pauses the PC every time it happens.

Deception

Still havent been able to get my brothers to the end pre order bonuses yet, do you guys think it's worth the hassle to try and get them?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So I preordered last week on XBL but still no Gears quadrilogy codes...

Are they going out in waves or something?

GWX

So I preordered last week on XBL but still no Gears quadrilogy codes...

Are they going out in waves or something?

I feel you :( I was hoping to try some old classic Gears before launch, but I guess that ain't happening. Wrapping up Gears UE's campaign now, and if it serves as any indication, I am going to suck hard at GeoW 4, I'm dying way too often :lol.

edit: @gif in the upper post: 52% damage from those? That is some serious bullshit, Coalition needs to fix it ASAP.

Playing Insane co-op with a friend and my Christ, the loading times are disgustingly long for respawning. Hope they get patched.
Apart from that, loving it a lot.

Angel_DvA

You got hit with the bug where your Gnasher doesn't shoot. Watch the ammo counter in the top right.

Hopefully they fix it soon.

Yup I saw it, it's very annoying... I hope Coalition will fix this quickly, it's not the first time this happened to me or my friends...

Wasn't this a problem in gears two as well lmao?

It was a problem in GOW UE as well.

@all

What's your favorite kills for the moment ? for me it's this one :

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Angel%20DvA/video/22271468

Top Bottom