• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

MANGOD

Banned
Got up a little early to see what the fuss is about and does my game start NO. Honestly fuck digital downloads, give me a fuckin disk anyday

I really hate the pre-active feature. A full active lancer or enforcer is just ridiculous, and people can go into every fight with a super melty gun.

And I really hate how overpowered the hammerburst is. Three burst downs, with an active that doubles the fire rate? Get outta here with that shit.

Dmented

Banned
Just bought it from Amazon after they gave me $60 credit from my GTX 1080 order. Thought I wasn't going to get it due to the assholes who ruined the promotion for everyone.

KYZR

Just bought it now on the Xbone store - pleasantly surprised the standard edition only cost £42, you don't normally see anything the than £49.99 for AAA. Man, work is gonna drag today...

Ronny93

Bought in Singapore, came home yesterday, played 1 hour of campaign and then 4 hours of multiplayer. This game is awesome. Don't know of the last game which held me so long in front of the PC. After 600h of Rainbow Six Siege during the last year it feels really refreshing. Very fast movement, such action, glorious kills, dat Hammerburst and all in 200+FPS in multiplayer, everything maxed out with an i7 6700k and a GTX 1080. Didn't crash a single time. Controls with KB+M are fine, I did really well. Only downside for me is the huge amount of credits needed to buy crates. There is something between COD-like "17 new attachments after each kill" and "pls play 50 full matches to get 5 random things".

GoW 4 brought my childhood back. Love it.

leng jai

I'm liking the sound design in this better than Epic's mixing. Theres more to it besides boom boom bass like the old games resulting in a less fatiguing and more balanced mix. The only thing I miss is the sound of the clunky movement of the gears which seems to be missing here.

Sizzle55

Just got home (Australia) to get stuck in. Nope needs an update! Ok not sure why xbox is set to instant on all the time. Update is 54.65gb! WTF? from the day I preordered this is the 3rd time it has downloaded the whole game. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yep..

In a world where PC constantly gets shitty ports that everyone complains about, The Coalition puts in all this effort to make a great PC game but it's not a Steam so it'll have 50 people playing it

I don't play on PC so I wouldn't know, but why is it that people won't play games that aren't on steam?

Just got home (Australia) to get stuck in. Nope needs an update! Ok not sure why xbox is set to instant on all the time. Update is 54.65gb! WTF? from the day I preordered this is the 3rd time it has downloaded the whole game. Has this happened to anyone else?

That's crap.

I'm going home now to play it so hopefully I don't get the same thing.

zedge

Ugh vs is still a one sided crap show. No fun at all for a noob. But damn the 60 fps is so smooth after an hr in the campaign.

Game looks amazing on Xbone though, I think its the best looking game I have seen on it, the IQ is so clean too. Plus I think HDR has now ruined everything else for me.. with it off the game looks flat and bland.

Kalentan

Just a reminder to those finally joining us...

The spoiler thread is over here!

Also if it isn't too much to ask for, could this get linked into the main post?

sam777

Just bought it now on the Xbone store - pleasantly surprised the standard edition only cost £42, you don't normally see anything the than £49.99 for AAA. Man, work is gonna drag today...

Surprised at that price, might sell my disc copy and get discounted credit and buy the digital copy.

Montresor

Maybe they should have let them put it on Steam, then?

Let's not blame the gamers for not wanting the fucking shit experience that has been the Windows store, which comes with the legacy of GFWL. Let's also not forget that Quantum Break runs better on Steam than it is on the Windows store and will likely see more regular sales to boot.

So honestly? Fuck Microsoft. If they wanted sales, they'd put the shit on Steam, GoG, etc.

A lot of yacking that essentially amounts to pointless port begging. You've basically just said "Fuck Microsoft for not putting their 1st party IP on Steam".

Edzi

Can someone explain how the game modes work? I was just in one where I was the leader, and I have no idea what that means lol

I don't play on PC so I wouldn't know, but why is it that people won't play games that aren't on steam?

Basically, Steam has a super long history of decent service. This means that they have won people's trust slowly over the years, and also that people have most of their PC games through Steam now.

This means that any potential newcomer to the PC digital distribution space has to battle two issues: PC gamers' natural distrust of anything and anyone (we're too used to dealing with shit that doesn't work), and also the sheer convenience of just having your whole library under a single point of entry.

EDIT: Oh, and also Microsoft's horrible reputation not only from GFWL as a system and also trying to implement paid Gold on PC, but also from the death of Windows Phone, OG Xbox One policies, Kinect as a whole, shady nagware/forced W10 updates and even several games through UWP itself, all that stuff doesn't help either. MS is fighting a very steep uphill battle.

aBarreras

Can someone explain how the game modes work? I was just in one where I was the leader, and I have no idea what that means lol

Team deathmatch, well is team deathmatch and king of the hill is king of the hill.

guardian, is where there is a leader, as long as the leader lives, the rest of the team will respawn, once the leader is killed, there are no more respawns,

Dodgeball, everytime you kill someone, someone on your team respawns, much like dodgeball.

Arms race is gun game but in team, every 3 kills the team changes weapons.

aaaand i dont know if there is another game mode?

The Goat

Yeah. I'm about 2 hours in and bored as fuck. When's it pick up? Not digging these robot enemies at all.

I'm with you. These enemies are zero fun to shoot. The banter back and forth between the characters is about as cliche as writing can get. Not feeling it much at all yet. Hopefully it picks up.

The game does feel pretty clunky. It's Gears for sure, but I really wish TC would have at least updated a bit of the move set. It looks like the exact same animations from Gears 3.

aBarreras

I'm with you. These enemies are zero fun to shoot. The banter back and forth between the characters is about as cliche as writing can get. Not feeling it much at all yet. Hopefully it picks up.

The game does feel pretty clunky. It's Gears for sure, but I really wish TC would have at least updated a bit of the move set. It looks like the exact same animations from Gears 3.

they aren't

Kalentan

if I play horde mode before the campaign am I likely to run into any big spoilers?

I would say so. Buts it's hard to explain why without possibly hinting at the reason. I'd say at least play till the end of Act 3. Then you should be good to play.

Edzi

Team deathmatch, well is team deathmatch and king of the hill is king of the hill.

guardian, is where there is a leader, as long as the leader lives, the rest of the team will respawn, once the leader is killed, there are no more respawns,

Dodgeball, everytime you kill someone, someone on your team respawns, much like dodgeball.

Arms race is gun game but in team, every 3 kills the team changes weapons.

aaaand i dont know if there is another game mode?

Got it, thanks. I probably shouldn't have run out and gotten myself killed immediately as leader then.

TheXbox

Bout halfway thru Act 2, calling it for the night. I'm having more fun than I remember with Gears 3. Writing is solid, combat encounters are varied and challenging. Not sure about these robot dudes, though. Hit feedback just doesn't feel right. Don't think I've ever played a game where shooting robots felt good.

Ronny93

I don't get the fuss with the Windows Store. I never had a game from there but hated it because everyone hated it. I now bought FH3 and GoW4 there. It does not have all the comfort functions of Steam, but to me it's only a useless launcher. Not more, not less. I can start the game from there and I'm fine. That's it.

leng jai

Bout halfway thru Act 2, calling it for the night. I'm having more fun than I remember with Gears 3. Writing is solid, combat encounters are varied and challenging. Not sure about these robot dudes, though. Hit feedback just doesn't feel right. Don't think I've ever played a game where shooting robots felt good.

Binary Domain.

kingwingin

Versus is so good! i never really played gears 2, 3 or judgment online so this feels like a huge upgrade over gears 1.

Arms race is by far my favourite so far. Dont have to fight over power weapons or worry about someone camping them to respawn.

Also the graphics are great but man can the resolution bottom out. Got that vaseline look to it.

Hopefully servers/ loading maps can get better soon. As soon as the game came out it only took a couple of matches then became impossible to find a match for 10-20 minutes.

Don't know what the problem is but it's the only problem I have with the game. I want to be able to play a game within a minutes or two. Not 5 or 10 it starts to kill the hype.

Hugstable

Banned
Tried out Horde mode, had alot of fun but didn't know what to expect. Definitely didn't expect the game to last near 3+ hours haha, thought it was gonna be some 30 min thing, ended up taking a very long time. Only got to Wave 37 before we started wiping alot, after 6 or 7th wipe on 37 wave every just started dropping. Not bad for first time though I think!@

Top Bottom