• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Anyone having problems with joining a co-op campaign? I tried multiple last times tonight with a friend, but I couldn't join his game, and he wasn't able to jump into mine either.

The horde mode works just fine strangely. Not sure what is up.

Has anyone done a framerate test between a Xbox One and Xbox One S? The framedrops and tearing in multiplayer are kind of annoying. Would be nice if the S could iron that out.

is anyone else getting this weird ghosting effect on xbox one? It is very annoying. I stood against a wall to exaggerate it, because it was hard to pick up on my phone. But is basically happens any time I move. Almost makes the game unplayable. Its happening on enemies and team mates I can see as well

https://vid.me/CHb0

Some 3440x1440 21:9 pics I took PC Ultra.

Possibly spoiler? I don't think so though. It's the level after the prolog and it doesn't give anything away. I'll play it safe and put them in tags anyway.

4EGV5ac.jpg

QJP6ugT.jpg

CVJxQJb.jpg

N7vTyE9.jpg

EDIT: Man, I don't know why, but when you click on the images to enlarge them for some reason it looks like there is a loss in quality. Try copying and pasting the image into your browser. That shows full quality for me.

Xater

Has anyone done a framerate test between a Xbox One and Xbox One S? The framedrops and tearing in multiplayer are kind of annoying. Would be nice if the S could iron that out.

There really shouldn't be anything like that be happening. Not even on the standard Xbox One. Check the Digital Foundry video for comparison.

Your console might be dying.

I asked a dude why he queued for a competitive game just to sit in spawn and throw the match.

He messaged me to say he has kids and can't pay attention to a match.

-_-

There really shouldn't be anything like that be happening. Not even on the standard Xbox One. Check the Digital Foundry video for comparison.

Your console might be dying.

Or the game just doesn't run at a locked 60 fps in multiplayer.

EDIT: Which the Digital Foundry video confirms. Frame drops and tearing is perfectly normal.

Basically, Steam has a super long history of decent service. This means that they have won people's trust slowly over the years, and also that people have most of their PC games through Steam now.

This means that any potential newcomer to the PC digital distribution space has to battle two issues: PC gamers' natural distrust of anything and anyone (we're too used to dealing with shit that doesn't work), and also the sheer convenience of just having your whole library under a single point of entry.

EDIT: Oh, and also Microsoft's horrible reputation not only from GFWL as a system and also trying to implement paid Gold on PC, but also from the death of Windows Phone, OG Xbox One policies, Kinect as a whole, shady nagware/forced W10 updates and even several games through UWP itself, all that stuff doesn't help either. MS is fighting a very steep uphill battle.

They sure are.

But all of that is fair enough I suppose.

Ronny93

Anyone got this strange issue (PC). In singleplayer, if I walk / run and look at an object, it seems a bit blurry / not sharp. Then I stand still, wait 0.5s and the object gets crispy sharp. Turned everything to ultra. Don't know of a better way to describe the issue, any ideas? Same perception maybe?

Xater

Or the game just doesn't run at a locked 60 fps in multiplayer.

EDIT: Which the Digital Foundry video confirms. Frame drops and tearing is perfectly normal.

Yeah, those instances are incredibly rare though. You make it sound like it's constant. Definitely not the case, at least not for me.

Yeah, those instances are incredibly rare though. You make it sound like it's constant. Definitely not the case, at least not for me.

I never claimed it was constant. But, that doesn't mean it's not an annoyance. It's definitely not incredibly rare either.

Played some coop crossplay with soulflarz.
Amazed how well it ran until it kicked me.
Also never seen a loading screen so often.
*stares at flarz*

Barakov

Got into Act III and having a grand time. Act I kinda dragged for me. As soon as Act II started, I've been having a blast. The Coalition did this series right.

HiiiLife

How likely is it to be good at wall bouncing without changing button schemes?? Been playing since Gears 1 and could never get the hang of it lol.

JimiNutz

Banned
How likely is it to be good at wall bouncing without changing button schemes?? Been playing since Gears 1 and could never get the hang of it lol.

Im interested in this too.
Didn't even really know there were alternative control schemes for Gears. What are the alternatives?

HiiiLife

Im interested in this too.
Didn't even really know there were alternative control schemes for Gears. What are the alternatives?

I know one of them is changing evade and cover to two seperate buttons so you aren't constantly rolling when you wanna stick to a wall. It seems like it's the best option for bouncing

Leyasu

Banned
We are definitely going to need to get a horde thread going or at least use this one when it gets moved to community..

Can't wait to tonight when the kids are in bed and I can get back on!

Best gears yet Imo. Totally addictive

And Xbox servers went down for me and the game froze. Can't play now. Another fine Microsoft product.

Liking what I played so far, though. The deliberate shift to a different vibe is really working for me, even if a lot of the stuff in question is very...young. (Never sure why developers do this, surely long-running series should shift older instead of the opposite, right? This isn't Japan where adults stop gaming. You have a ton of Gears fans today who were young back in the Gears 1 days.) End of act 1 was definitely fun.

PC performance isn't as solid as I was led to believe pre-release. Sure, benchmark looks good, but actual game still has the classic Unreal Engine loading hitch. Maybe I can figure out how to free up space on my SSD...

JimiNutz

Banned
I know one of them is changing evade and cover to two seperate buttons so you aren't constantly rolling when you wanna stick to a wall. It seems like it's the best option for bouncing

That makes a hell of a lot of sense.
Will definitely experiment with the controls once my copy turns up from Amazon!

BHK3

Banned
Anyone got this strange issue (PC). In singleplayer, if I walk / run and look at an object, it seems a bit blurry / not sharp. Then I stand still, wait 0.5s and the object gets crispy sharp. Turned everything to ultra. Don't know of a better way to describe the issue, any ideas? Same perception maybe?

I know what you're talking about, if you move an inch it gets blurry then it gets crisp again. Happens as well if you zoom in, clears up even more. I figured it was a depth of field effect or something, a user also mentioned slight ghosting which I have seen as well. I blame all of this on the temporal anti aliasing, which while I hate usually it works well in this game in keeping the image clear.

Also I wish I could play with Xbox One players only on PC. I play using a controller since the game feels awful on keyboard but I see people doing 180's since they are using mice :(...

Genio88

Can't wait to play it later, just a shame Windows 10 store was completely broken for me with this game, couldn't preload it at all, i'll play on Xbox One and then i'll try again to download it on PC, perhaps they'll fix that store

Velikost

I can. GT: bloodbathnbyond

Something weird as fuck happened with my computer when I tried to invite you. Got disconnected from the Xbox stuff and Discord. Still haven't been able to resolve it on my end.

I'm on the Internet but I can't connect to certain shit and I have no idea why. Thanks anyways dude.

Theorry

Anyone having problems with joining a co-op campaign? I tried multiple last times tonight with a friend, but I couldn't join his game, and he wasn't able to jump into mine either.

The horde mode works just fine strangely. Not sure what is up.

Make sure firwall is closed and the NAT is open. Open ports of Xbox Live.

Ronny93

I know what you're talking about, if you move an inch it gets blurry then it gets crisp again. Happens as well if you zoom in, clears up even more. I figured it was a depth of field effect or something, a user also mentioned slight ghosting which I have seen as well. I blame all of this on the temporal anti aliasing, which while I hate usually it works well in this game in keeping the image clear.
(...

Exactly this. The slightest movement makes it blurry, standing still sharpens it. Really odd and annoying. Can't turn it off apparently.

Wall bouncing is kind of easy in this, which is weird cause I've never been able to walk bounce before. The Coalition nailed the evading and cover system as well. I'm impressed as hell with this game.

Theorry

That was a quick fix for the credits stuff. Still not the best but i understand they dont want to make crazy jumps. Slowly tune it to the best option. Most of all glad they acted so fast. Wich is very promising.

nOoblet16

Jumped straight to multi so I was confused how people kept doing it.

Thanks.
You don't need to spam B just hold it when you are approaching, after a while you'll get the timing and will be able to press it exactly when required.

Wall bouncing is kind of easy in this, which is weird cause I've never been able to walk bounce before. The Coalition nailed the evading and cover system as well. I'm impressed as hell with this game.
No less easier than Gears 3, where it was faster even.

nOoblet16

We are definitely going to need to get a horde thread going or at least use this one when it gets moved to community..

Can't wait to tonight when the kids are in bed and I can get back on!

Best gears yet Imo. Totally addictive
I made a Discord channel for this very purpose. Quote the original post for the link. It'd be helpful if this could be added in the OP or quoted when needed so that everyone can join it.

I've created a discord server open to both xbox and pc players for general stuff and LFG.

Quote for invitation link

Edit: Updated to make the invitation infinite use with no expiry.

Top Bottom