• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Has some generous soul got a Gears 2 code spare, my friend would like one as he trying to complete the trilogy before buying 4 and he already has 1 and 3. Thanks.

PM'd you

So far I really love this game. A little disappointed by where the story goes after Act 1, but I'm on Act V and there's still time to end strong. Gameplay wise I don't think there's any question this game is the best in the series. Horde and Versus are an absolute dream.

Are you guys playing Ranked much? If so, what playlists? Hard to justify putting time into it for me, as the lack of rolling parties (although I understand why) kind of kills momentum/fun...not to mention how impatient folks keep quitting during the "loading map" interval

TaterTots

Banned
Messing with the controller settings.....can someone explain to me the difference between zoom and target aiming? Is targeting just when you hard aim with the gnasher?

Kalentan

i bought the game today on disc. Is there any way to play the game without downloading the 11gb update? i tried disconnecting from LIVE but it when i install it says i need to connect for an update before i can play? It'll take all night for me to download 11gb. i'm seriously thinking of taking it back and getting a refund

There is a 11gb day-one patch for disc users.

B00TE

My brother was generous enough to send me a key for a normal preorder last night just so I could play on my PC (frees up Xbone for my dad too). God DAMN 60 FPS horde mode is the best. I don't think I can do keyboard controls though lol. Played Gears 1 on PC way back (not UE) and I don't remember the transition feeling this awkward to me, heh.

Mouse and keyboard would be so godly except for one glaring personal issue: using the spacebar for everything is so uncomfortable and cumbersome. What a shame because mouse aiming is so much superior to the controller it's unbelievable. Never have rifles been so useful in a Gears to me as they are with a mouse in this game.

But my thumb is not enjoying the movement. Anyone facing the same dilemma? Any recommended keyboard mapping to make movement more comfortable? I've tried other keys for running and nothing feels intuitive.
What keyboard are you using ? My deathstalker is super comfy, but I can see how standard keyboards would be uncomfortable.

is anyone else getting this weird ghosting effect on xbox one? It is very annoying. I stood against a wall to exaggerate it, because it was hard to pick up on my phone. But is basically happens any time I move. Almost makes the game unplayable. Its happening on enemies and team mates I can see as well

https://vid.me/CHb0

quoting for new day. Anyone know what this is? Tried messing with some settings on my tv and it didnt change anything

Kgamer314

Neo Member
The fact that it's been taking me ~5 minutes to get into a match is really deplorable. I found games instantly in Gears of War 3, a five year old game, yesterday! What's worse is how it bumps you back to the main menu after a single match so you get to wait in line again.

Maybe this is the game telling me to just avoid the frustration of versus multiplayer altogether.

Got about an hour or so in last night.

Honestly underwhelmed by the visuals, facial animation and voicework so far. For a 30fps flagship title I expected more. JD as your standard Nolan Drake archetype isn't winning me over either.

At least there has been plenty of combat so far, which feels like Gears, but the difficulty on Hardcore solo feels off with how easy it is to get revived by allied AI. You get a lot of get-out-of-jail free cards so you don't have to be as tactical about the combat, so far anyway.

The visuals are underwhelming through the prologue but by the time you see Papa Marcus they get better and better the game looks amazing you Won't be disappointed.

EL CUCO

Just watched a streamer get booted for update right as the final boss on wave 50 was going down. Mind you, it took them hours to get to that point...

aBarreras

Shameful servers, it was sure they would break today when they couldn't take the early players 4 days ago... fix this shit.

i hate when people are like this "shameful? what the fuck? what do you think they are doing? cratching their bellys or something?

there is not a magic button called "fix this shit" you know?

Theorry

:)

Hey Gears fans –

Today we have released some new updates for Gears of War 4, with a small Title Update to fix a blocking issue in Campaign and additional server side tweaks.

Title Update
We have released a small Title Update which is rolling out now to address a known issue that can block progress and require a Chapter Restart in Act 3, Chapter 5.

On Xbox One, this title update will be approximately 200mb.

On Windows 10, this title update will be approximately 300mb. In addition, you will need to ensure you update to the latest OS to receive this Title Update and future Title Updates. Please update as soon as possible. You can update by going to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your PC is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available.

Live Updates

Matchmaking Update
Our Online Services team continue to work around the clock on rectifying some of the matchmaking issues encountered by players. We have deployed another server side update which we anticipate will improve matchmaking wait times. We'll be monitoring it's impact closely.

Dodgeball Rounds To Win Increase
Rounds to Win: 3 -> 4
We’ve increased the Rounds to Win limit to extend the time spent in Dodgeball matches, which our data and fan feedback indicates is currently running a little on the low side.

Credits Change
We’ve made some changes to the Credit Gain rate based on our data and fan feedback. Please read more about that HERE.

Tecnniqe

Banned
387.4MB patcherino

Edit:

After monitoring our data and hearing your feedback, it was clear the calculations that determine the rate at which Credits are earned were under our own expectations – and yours. Our Player Progression team have been working hard to address this as quickly as possible in order to improve the experience of acquiring Gear Packs. As of now, a new server-side update to Credits is deployed in Gears of War 4.

The goal of these new changes is to provide a more consistent reward per match for our players, and bring the time required to earn Gear Packs – including the customization focused Elite Pack – closer to our expectations.

The following changes have been made to Credits and Gear Packs:
Elite Pack Credit cost has been reduced from 4000 to 3500
Match Completion bonus credits in Versus Multiplayer have now been increased

MCD

WTF

Thrice this happened now: my Xbox One S restarts itself when HDR Video is playing is showing up upon boot. Samsung KS8000 (US Number).

I will manually update my TV to Version 1141.0 see if it helps. Really shitty experience.

I was connected, went through all of the customization options and then clicked Versus. Now it says 'Connecting...' again...

Edit: Now I am connected again, try to get in a match before it decides to go off again.

Sky87

This update is taking a long ass time on PC. It seems like it actually creates a new folder (Microsoft.SpartaUWP_9.2.0.2_x64), and it slowly increases in size. Hopefully the old one deletes.

nOoblet16

So the only way to get scraps is to destroy bounties/characters/skins? Which means I have to wait to buy a pack and hope for a legendary drop or epic drop whoch I have to sacrifice, because otherwise the scraps I get is too low in number.

Hale_C

Great. My update download has frozen (windows). That was before it insisted I clear 80gb from my hard drive to download a ~350mb patch.

giphy.gif

Tecnniqe

Banned
So the only way to get scraps is to destroy bounties/characters/skins? Which means I have to wait to buy a pack and hope for a legendary drop or epic drop whoch I have to sacrifice, because otherwise the scraps I get is too low in number.

Yeah scrap is only from destroying box items. And its like 5-100 depending on rarity while you need like 2600 for a leg skin >.>

Hale_C

If it looks like this then it's working on the update: http://i.imgur.com/emmGE8N.png

Check your HDD activity.

I do indeed see my HDD working away, and that new folder you mentioned (though it no longer seems to be growing in size, it's stopped at ~27gb). This doesn't immediately strike me as an efficient patching method, but I guess it's all worth it for the Windows Store and UWP, right?

edit: There is goes again, the folder is getting bigger. Is it seriously going to recreate the entire 73.3gb original folder to apply a 387mb patch?

Sky87

I do indeed see my HDD working away, and that new folder you mentioned (though it no longer seems to be growing in size, it's stopped at ~27gb). This doesn't immediately strike me as an efficient patching method, but I guess it's all worth it for the Windows Store and UWP, right?

Yes, it creates a new folder and slowly seem to unpack the entire install again in there. Hopefully after that the old folder will delete and we'll get the disk space back. It's a VERY inefficient way, it creates unnecessary wear on the HDD writing such huge files for a 300+mb download.

Keep an eye on your disk space, it should keep going down.

So what's the consensus if I loved Gears 1 SP/MP, hated both for Gears 2, and enjoyed Gears 3 SP?

You'll probably love the campaign and Horde. If you didn't like Gears 3 MP, you won't like Gears 4 MP, but it's a lot like Gears 3.

Nice patch MS
MRMXppS.png

They really need to just release this on Steam and allow either Xbox Live linking, or credit every owner a Steam key. I bought it digitally just to get the PC version and the store is a freaking mess that keeps preventing me from playing it. When I can play it, the PC version is actually outstanding, but the store is holding it back. I still can't download Killer Instinct even though I own the game.

EDIT: I can't even download the new update on the Win10 store, so my PC copy is 100% unplayable now. This is just ridiculous.

Top Bottom