• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

I was going to tell you to have her take the system offline for the install but you mentioned she doesn't know anything so would likely have a difficult time doing that. It might not matter if you're not going to be playing until tonight. But installs have been terribly slow when installing online.

so when we install online it installs the disc data and the patch automatically?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I just got an Xbox One a couple weeks ago and I'm considering getting Gears 4. Is there matchmaking for Horde? It's the main draw for me and I have like... absolutely no one to play with from my real life.

There is matchmaking. Hard to get far though as it doesn't replace players who leave.

m23

I asked before but didn't get a response, does anyone know what the day 1 update consists of? Anything for campaign?

koji

If anyone wants to add me: kojiro82. Horde - CET (EU time) (on PC, but that doesn't really matter)

Noticed that you can invite players in a horde game from your friendlist when someone leaves or drops out.

Looks like you can't access the Xbox Clubs from the PC Xbox client, shame.

Ban Puncher

Got the game on PC, looks good.

A question though - is there some way to use the old 360 wired headset with my wireless 360 controller for voice chat? If I plug it in now all the audio just hits the mono headset speaker and the mic does squat. Or do I need to buy a new USB mic for the PC?

I'm a little more than half of the way through, and I wouldn't say it's back to being scary. It feels like it's own game, in a known series, which I think is a great thing.

Coalition nailed it. They've taken hold of the Gears universe and made it theirs now, and it really works.

There's a digital foundry video out there that showcases the difference between the PC version and XBO version, as well as just showing off the games visuals. Basically, both versions look amazing and run at native 1080p@30fps and up(PC) .

I'm currently level 4 in versus. Only played a few matches, and that mode feels fantastic.

This game is easily a game of the year contender.

Got about an hour or so in last night.

Honestly underwhelmed by the visuals, facial animation and voicework so far. For a 30fps flagship title I expected more. JD as your standard Nolan Drake archetype isn't winning me over either.

At least there has been plenty of combat so far, which feels like Gears, but the difficulty on Hardcore solo feels off with how easy it is to get revived by allied AI. You get a lot of get-out-of-jail free cards so you don't have to be as tactical about the combat, so far anyway.

jesu

For some stupid reason it downloads the game from the Internet instead of installing from the disk when the Xbox is online. It makes no sense.

No it doesn't, I've just installed it from disc.
Only the patch is downloaded.

Yes, but it tries to download the full game file, instead of the necessary patch files independent of the disc install. So it takes much longer than it should.

This is complete nonsense.

so when we install online it installs the disc data and the patch automatically?

It will ask if you want to install the patch.

Hale_C

Honestly underwhelmed by the visuals, facial animation and voicework so far. For a 30fps flagship title I expected more. JD as your standard Nolan Drake archetype isn't winning me over either.

At least there has been plenty of combat so far, which feels like Gears, but the difficulty on Hardcore solo feels off with how easy it is to get revived by allied AI. You get a lot of get-out-of-jail free cards so you don't have to be as tactical about the combat, so far anyway.

Yeah, the reviving on HC annoys me a bit too. I'm on one of the last few chapters and I've only been executed once the whole game. I've died a fair few times to one-hit-kill attacks though, and you'll find as you go through that there's more and more of those. Apparently on Insane you can't be revived, so there's always that for a challenge...

And yeah, visually it's attractive enough and it runs very well on PC, but I find all the art direction a little bland and dated. But maybe with Gears your hands are a bit tied as a developer in that respect?

Iceman829

What are the thoughts on multiplayer so far?

It's gears. The weapons seem to be more balanced than the previous games. People seem to be using a variety of weapons from the start now. Every battle doesn't turn into a gnasher two piece battle. The hammerburst and enforcer (smg) seem to be getting popular based on some games. The matches still revolve around that opening run for power weapons and flanking, using cover. They have just about all the game modes except for like wingman. Ranked matches have had many issues (improper balancing onyx vs bronze, 4 v 5 at the start, you have to back out and research after each match). Social seems fine and the matches continue to roll onto the next ones.

As per the normal - randoms suck, people don't know what the objective of each game type is, etc, etc.

How would you guys rank the loadout rifles?

HB over the Lancer, but it depends on your playstyle. They both work well in different situations and who doesn't love sneaking up and chainsawing an enemy in half

vort3x

How would you guys rank the loadout rifles?

I prefer the Hammer burst over all. Once active reloaded the hammer burst downs people in 3 trigger pulls if all shots land. Retro Lancer is a pickup weapon now and is very strong as well. Lancer is good for spray and pray or good weapon to hold people behind cover.

Hammerburst is probably the best right now. The enforcer is cool to use but it doesn't provide as much as a hammerburst/gnasher combo. I just wish it was semi-auto again. Gears 2 or 3 version :(. Also the retro lancer pickup is super good. You'll out match lancers easily.

Also I haven't used the xbox in a while, how does snapping work now? The snap button seems to just be a menu in Gears so I had to press the Home button, snap the dvr in and all this shit. Kind of a pain compared to the PS4.

vort3x

Hammerburst is probably the best right now. The enforcer is cool to use but it doesn't provide as much as a hammerburst/gnasher combo. I just wish it was semi-auto again. Gears 2 or 3 version :(. Also the retro lancer pickup is super good. You'll out match lancers easily.

Also I haven't used the xbox in a while, how does snapping work now? The snap button seems to just be a menu in Gears so I had to press the Home button, snap the dvr in and all this shit. Kind of a pain compared to the PS4.

Double tap the home screen for snap options.

Gears 2-3 HB was GOAT. They won't do that because it was too good and people with modded controller were destroying people online basically. I could shoot almost as fast as a modded controller and got called a cheater for it multiple times :( :D

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Mouse and keyboard would be so godly except for one glaring personal issue: using the spacebar for everything is so uncomfortable and cumbersome. What a shame because mouse aiming is so much superior to the controller it's unbelievable. Never have rifles been so useful in a Gears to me as they are with a mouse in this game.

But my thumb is not enjoying the movement. Anyone facing the same dilemma? Any recommended keyboard mapping to make movement more comfortable? I've tried other keys for running and nothing feels intuitive.

Jumeira

Banned
Just started Act 2, visuals are getting better and better. Great campaign so far, some moments of odd AI behaviour, but that's Gears right? Sometimes the enemies hand back waiting to die without fighting. Mostly unpredictable and fun to fight.

jesu

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1289357

This is what I've experienced with updates being available when attempting to install a disc to the system. I'm not attempting to spread misinformation, it's just what I've experienced.

And as I said in that thread look at your download queue, see how much is installed.
Then look at your bandwidth usage in the network settings.
What is installed will be much larger than what has been downloaded.

It's just nonsense that people keep repeating because the installs are slow.

DomLando

Not sure if this was answered earlier but I just picked up my pre-order from Best Buy. I received my code for the Black Walnut Gnasher but I am reading online there is a Brothers to the End Pack I was also supposed to receive?

Is that a code I'm missing or is it access another way? Thanks in advance.

Gears 2-3 HB was GOAT. They won't do that because it was too good and people with modded controller were destroying people online basically. I could shoot almost as fast as a modded controller and got called a cheater for it multiple times :( :D

One of the buttons on the controller is an actual snap button though, right?

koji

Mouse and keyboard would be so godly except for one glaring personal issue: using the spacebar for everything is so uncomfortable and cumbersome. What a shame because mouse aiming is so much superior to the controller it's unbelievable. Never have rifles been so useful in a Gears to me as they are with a mouse in this game.

But my thumb is not enjoying the movement. Anyone facing the same dilemma? Any recommended keyboard mapping to make movement more comfortable? I've tried other keys for running and nothing feels intuitive.

It's like playing Mass Effect on PC all over again... Eventually I got used to that though in the ME3 multiplayer. And no, I don't have any recommendations, I did order one of those gamepad things a couple hours ago, maybe that's a bit more comfortable. Heck I hope it's more comfortable it was pretty expensive. (Razer Orbweaver)

I've been going back and forth between controller since Friday always ending up with keyb/mouse. :)

I feel your pain, broseph. I saved all of the hate messages I got for "modding". Good times.

i bought the game today on disc. Is there any way to play the game without downloading the 11gb update? i tried disconnecting from LIVE but it when i install it says i need to connect for an update before i can play? It'll take all night for me to download 11gb. i'm seriously thinking of taking it back and getting a refund

sam777

Has some generous soul got a Gears 2 code spare, my friend would like one as he trying to complete the trilogy before buying 4 and he already has 1 and 3. Thanks.

Sanjuro

Get original Gears! Total ripoff.

J2QHkcL.gif

Top Bottom