• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Ronny93

This game <3

2Hdgu6Q.gif

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The whole credit / loot box system seems off. Halo 5 had a way better system that actually felt like you were constantly unlocking stuff.

It feels stingy. It seems as if at the very least the player should be frequently receiving the minor loot boxes for bounty cards which are, you know, the thing that helps the player get better loot boxes.

Maybe award extra bounty cards after matches based on medals earned during the match.

Bate

Did anyone have to redownload the whole thing on PC because the 73gb preload did not work because the windows store either demanded a patch that didn't load or called for an additional 80gb full dowload?

Dartastic

Holy crap I haven't played a gears game in a while. Forgot how... heavy it feels. Definitely is taking me a bit to adapt to the controls.

Caayn

Thats abit weird haha. Joined late?
Getting here arround 90 the whole time now. Its better now. But hopefully they change it some more. Probably will.
90 is still not a lot when the cheapest pack is 1000, and the pack people want is 3500. Was hoping for a larger credit increase.

see my post.
It's copying everything over from one folder to another
Kinda amazing how bad it is!

If that's the case couldn't we copy the files to a folder named correctly before? Or start the patch, cancel and copy manually, then restart the patch? I know it still involves copying but at least we'd see what's actually happening.

My only concern is if that would just confuse the W10 store even further.

Beat it on Saturday and enjoyed my time with it quite a bit. I've never been a huge Gears fan but I've played all of them aside from Judgement. Took almost 8 hours to finish it on Hardcore mode, ended up with 20 or so collectibles. I look forward to going through on Insane Co-op with a friend. Not direct spoilers but I'll cover them anyway, thoughts on the quality of each Act:
Acts I & II were great, bright, and fun romps that I could have really used more of. Db's were different enough from what I'm accustomed to in the franchise that I enjoyed my time with them although I'm shocked we didn't see more of them when the Swarm eventually shows up. Act III & IV were a total slog back into old school Gears territory, it wasn't particularly fun or interesting and the momentum from the past two acts comes to a crashing halt. Act V was just what was required, however. Great way to end the game aside from the weak narrative cliffhanger that is far too abrupt.

Definitely was worth my time and money, Horde is as excellent as I assumed it would be as well. General multiplayer I'll mess with for a bit but getting into a game seems to take forever on top of the credit system appearing rather weak.

Soulflarz

Banned
anyone wanna join for core tdm or such on pc? I'm shit btw :3

If that's the case couldn't we copy the files to a folder named correctly before? Or start the patch, cancel and copy manually, then restart the patch? I know it still involves copying but at least we'd see what's actually happening.

My only concern is if that would just confuse the W10 store even further.

who knows

how do you see on Xbox one if you got the last update or not? I bought the game this am, let install the 11gb day one patch and went to work. now I just checked, the game loads fine, but does not ask for the second 400mg patch, even after I hard reset the Xbox.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
how do you see on Xbox one if you got the last update or not? I bought the game this am, let install the 11gb day one patch and went to work. now I just checked, the game loads fine, but does not ask for the second 400mg patch, even after I hard reset the Xbox.

the game would tell you if you need a patch. If you can load it it's fine.

it might have been rolled into the bigger patch or if you have your console set to instant-on it might have installed it for you.

f@luS

More than a member.
Don't you guys find that there is some slight input lag ? Didn't play gears for a long time maybe it's how it's intended but it's not as reactive as any other shooter. Feels "heavy" not in a good way

I can't get this patch, it just "oops something went wrong" or it just sits at 344mb of 346.

Anyone else having this?

Yep. Mine is sitting on 384 out of 387. XBox version updated in a couple of minutes no problem, getting fucking nowhere on PC, though. Been at it for a couple of hours now.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I know it's cool because, ya know, it's Marcus. But damn if the quality in voice acting takes a nose dive when he opens his mouth...

Really warming to JD and Del and their banter.

Yep. Mine is sitting on 384 out of 387. XBox version updated in a couple of minutes no problem, getting fucking nowhere on PC, though. Been at it for a couple of hours now.

Mine just finished and then said "You can pay £41.74 to play this game now".

What a store.

EDIT: Sack that, it's now starting from scratch again........

Mine just finished and then said "You can pay £41.74 to play this game now".

What a store.

EDIT: Sack that, it's now starting from scratch again........

If I pause it and resume, it'll download again for a second, but then the max file size will climb too. Now I'm at 425 out of 425 and the progress bar is like 15% full.

If I pause it and resume, it'll download again for a second, but then the max file size will climb too. Now I'm at 425 out of 425 and the progress bad is like 15% full.

Mine got to 425 then seemed to finish, then tried to make me buy the game. Now it's just error/restart/error/restart in an endless cycle.

Calmine

Man oh man is the windows store terrible!

Started downloading the patch and was like cool shouldn't be long...and now it's downloading the whole game again!

TheTurboFD

I just did this, went back into the store, and it is asking me to Update again. Should I go ahead and update now?

Never mind. This didn't work. Up to 428 MB.....Seems like it is going to make me download the whole fuckin' game again.

Yup mines waited at 428 MB for about 20 minutes and then said update done.

Preordered weeks ago, preloaded days ago. Can't play on release date due to broken update. Fuck this.

Yep. Fucking MS Store. Forza Horizon 3's launch went off without a hitch for me (the launch, not the game). I thought it was safe!

If I pause it and resume, it'll download again for a second, but then the max file size will climb too. Now I'm at 425 out of 425 and the progress bar is like 15% full.

Now 809 of 809. I fucking love it.

Fuck this shit. It hit 50gb and started again! Think I'm going to be asking for a refund instead. Can't be bothered to go through this again and just hope it works.

Stuck in a loop of downloading and errors

is there a chance that its downloading to the wrong drive or something, there seems to be no way to tell it where to download it, and my game isn't on the default C drive.

Fuck knows though, this is hammered garbage as expected from Microsoft.

kevin1025

Banned
Ah, good old Gears. I hit everyone with the shotgun, same distance, they don't explode. They get me once and I'm done in. This is what I remember.

The campaign is fantastic so far, though.

Soulflarz

Banned
woo lag on a 980
THANKS PATCH
Ah, good old Gears. I hit everyone with the shotgun, same distance, they don't explode. They get me once and I'm done in. This is what I remember.

The campaign is fantastic so far, though.

It's all footsies and movement
It took me a bit to remember how the hell it worked.

edit: guys. if youre stuck at x out of x, it's copying files
stop worrying about the download being frozen, the download is done X_X

Moofers

The card/credits/scrap system needs some retooling. Its going to take ages to get my skills to the max level and even longer to get my class up to level 10.

I only want to play Engineer. To get my Repair skill to level 4, I need 10 of the card for that right now. There's a ton of different horde cards. The likelihood of getting that one 10 times means I gotta go through hella packs. Even if I focus on just being an Engineer (which I am), there are tons of cards for other classes as well as VS that are going to be useless to me, so I have to burn them for scrap. Problem is, you only get 5 scrap for each card you burn. So burn 8 cards to get one, then repeat that 10 times. For one skill to reach level 4. Now imagine that you eventually hit level 10 and want to equip 5 skills. Fuckin NUUUUUTS dude. I do not appreciate how grindy this is looking at the moment. I really hope that take another look at that because Horde is my main reason for owning Gears 4 and I'm already concerned that curious newcomers will take one look at that giant progression mountain they need to scale and just nope the fuck out of here to some other game.

woo lag on a 980
THANKS PATCH

Been stuck multiple times though and it's constantly erroring too. If they think I'm downloading the whole game again then they can refund me my money.

Moofers

Is Horde Mode still amazing?
In terms of how it plays, hell yes. Its the best version so far. But I have a complaint about the progression:

The card/credits/scrap system needs some retooling. Its going to take ages to get my skills to the max level and even longer to get my class up to level 10.

I only want to play Engineer. To get my Repair skill to level 4, I need 10 of the card for that right now. There's a ton of different horde cards. The likelihood of getting that one 10 times means I gotta go through hella packs. Even if I focus on just being an Engineer (which I am), there are tons of cards for other classes as well as VS that are going to be useless to me, so I have to burn them for scrap. Problem is, you only get 5 scrap for each card you burn. So burn 8 cards to get one, then repeat that 10 times. For one skill to reach level 4. Now imagine that you eventually hit level 10 and want to equip 5 skills. Fuckin NUUUUUTS dude. I do not appreciate how grindy this is looking at the moment. I really hope that take another look at that because Horde is my main reason for owning Gears 4 and I'm already concerned that curious newcomers will take one look at that giant progression mountain they need to scale and just nope the fuck out of here to some other game.

Are there physical copies of this for PC out there? If so, anyone know if they're free of b.s., ie, you put the disc in and find out 90% of the game still needs to be downloaded, like what happened with Doom?

woo lag on a 980
THANKS PATCH

Any idea what mines doing? It froze at 50gb then started from 0 again. I paused it and restarted it and it's continued from the restarted percentage but no longer says how much it intends to download.

I've genuinely got no idea what's going on here. I have a bunch of files but it's acting as if it's ignoring them.

Top Bottom