• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

What are the tradeoffs that they implemented for 60fps multiplayer on console? Is it dynamic resolution to 720p? lower quality assets or what? Digital Foundry have a video up yet? I'm curious. Also if so are those features like Dynamic res available on PC as well?

Yeah dynamic resolution is available on pc. Infact the graphics settings are rather vast.

RoKKeR

Played a few rounds of MP, my first time playing Gears in 60fps... awesome stuff. Gameplay feels great. I suck but had a few promising moments, will get back into the swing of things. Biggest gripe with the game at the moment is that the menus hang/chug quite a bit... hopefully something that's easy to fix.

Also, has anybody with an Elite controller mapped A to one of the back paddles? I tinkered with it a little bit earlier and I like the idea of being able to use RS while rolling.

Soulflarz

Banned
After my daily stacked steamrolling session ill be in.
Weve been rolling lately

rip
solo has been...interesting
it's usually a full team vs a bunch of randoms, and it seemingly doesn't care on rank :')
last match I was with 2 golds+2 of whatever are higher than that (top rank set) against 3 guys in placement and 2 bronzes.
fair

Xyber

Dammit. Had a great round of KOTH going, 45+ kills and a lot of points. It was maybe 30 points left of the game and then the servers break down. :(

TheRed

Played a few rounds of MP, my first time playing Gears in 60fps... awesome stuff. Gameplay feels great. I suck but had a few promising moments, will get back into the swing of things. Biggest gripe with the game at the moment is that the menus hang/chug quite a bit... hopefully something that's easy to fix.

Also, has anybody with an Elite controller mapped A to one of the back paddles? I tinkered with it a little bit earlier and I like the idea of being able to use RS while rolling.
I would definitely bind A to a paddle if the windows store would allow me to use a steam controller :(

I'm referring to when 3 people stand in the open or such, not "well okay, one ran into me and I OHKO'd and moved on", cause you shouldn't be winning the normal fights anymore.

Gnasher play has never about standing in the open, though, imo it's always been about wall bouncing. You shouldn't be winning a 2v1 out in the open with a gnasher, it's a reckless play.

Soulflarz

Banned
Gnasher play has never about standing in the open, though, imo it's always been about wall bouncing. You shouldn't be winning a 2v1 out in the open with a gnasher, it's a reckless play.

Was giving it as the example, the fact you have to space closer means your range to wallbounce and play footsies is gimped hard, making your opportunities to win against a group a lot slimmer in core playlists.
And yes, it's normally wallbounce shots and right hand advantage.

f@luS

More than a member.
My brightness and hdr settings keeps resetting to default if I close the game and start again. Any way to save them for good ?

Woooooow. Left my PC to download for an hour and a half after it deleted the whole game and it only did a couple gig. Definitely refund time. Deleting itself was one big crock of shit but having to redownload it at a fraction of the pace? Hell no.

Was giving it as the example, the fact you have to space closer means your range to wallbounce and play footsies is gimped hard, making your opportunities to win against a group a lot slimmer in core playlists.
And yes, it's normally wallbounce shots and right hand advantage.

I feel you, though I still think this is the best iteration of the multiplayer yet. Just not for Gnasher lovers. ;)

Soulflarz

Banned
I feel you, though I still think this is the best iteration of the multiplayer yet. Just not for Gnasher lovers. ;)

RIP me, how else am I supposed to maime people all day >_>
(actually checked my stats and I had a wide spread, my gnasher kd was one of my lowest at like 1.45)
I just miss it being a valid option when a teams coming at you.

im sorry but you are insane if you think gears 1 ue is more responsive than gears 4

It may have been getting used to the BS over a week of play compared to the one day (plus beta) of Gears4.

Overall this game is smooth. It's just the random input failures (compared to GearsUE that felt like the cover system was borked).

Game is near perfection for me. Every game has it's flaws, but this game's features and overall feel is second to none to me right now. I love that I can run customs with a friend against bots. Such a great way to unwind and learn the game in a stress free environment.

The gnasher also feels darn good online.

jadedm17

Why does the AI on my team race for support grenades then not use them?
This crippling-your-own-team nonsense never changes eh?

Love the game overall, but dealing with the same annoyance I did years ago in Gears 3 isn't fun.

Justinh

Finallly installing the game. Is there a code to get the pre order bonuses like zombie dom?

From where did you preorder it? I preordered digital on my Xbox, so there was a pack that was in my ready to install list and I got a code in my xbox messages to redeem for some other stuff. I'm guessing if you got a physical copy, either the store would send it to you or there would be a code in the package if it was the ultimate edition.

From where did you preorder it? I preordered digital on my Xbox, so there was a pack that was in my ready to install list and I got a code in my xbox messages to redeem for some other stuff. I'm guessing if you got a physical copy, either the store would send it to you or there would be a code in the package if it was the ultimate edition.

From bb. I had a digital dl but it was named gnash or something. Ill see what pops up after the install finishes

Its not. M&K vs controller. Not fair.

It really doesn't affect it that much. I play tons of FPS games with controller and do extremely well as do a ton of others I know. It really only affects a tiny percentage of ranked higher end players. If that's the case why not just allow a toggle for control type. Are they afraid people will spoof it to get around it? People already do that with those USB controller to M/K attachments.

This game is also way more catered to controller. Everything works better with it. Not saying you wouldn't have an aiming advantage but there's tradeoffs. I mean I know I'd definitely be playing with controller.

BizzyBum

Yeah, I completely understand why they separated PC and console for competitive versus, it just sucks or PC only players as the games multiplayer will probably be dead in a month or two.

Is "loading map" supposed to take minutes?! My lord its my first match and I don't know if something is wrong or if this normal.

It can, to me it seems like it happens if someone drops out. Can be pretty annoying if playing the Ranked/Core playlists (no bot backfilling). Played a match with a full five on my team and only two on the other. Needless to say, it was a boring match for my brother and I and probably an absolute frustrating match for the two enemy players.

Definitely seems like a pretty big issue for Ranked matches with people being dropped before the game starts.

Theorry

It really doesn't affect it that much. I play tons of FPS games with controller and do extremely well as do a ton of others I know. It really only affects a tiny percentage of ranked higher end players. If that's the case why not just allow a toggle for control type. Are they afraid people will spoof it to get around it? People already do that with those USB controller to M/K attachments.

This game is also way more catered to controller. Everything works better with it. Not saying you wouldn't have an aiming advantage but there's tradeoffs. I mean I know I'd definitely be playing with controller.

I am doing way better on PC with mouse and keyboard then controller.

TheRed

I think pc players play iT also with controller :) this game is not easy mouse and keyboard
I played campaign all the way with controller. Switched to kb/m for multi-player and it's way better, I was definitely way slower to aim than everyone when I tried controller, that would make everyone rightfully unhappy on xbox.

TheRed

Yeah, I completely understand why they separated PC and console for competitive versus, it just sucks or PC only players as the games multiplayer will probably be dead in a month or two.
I just hope word of mouth of it being a great PC version is enough to get a healthy community. I think it will sustain just at a smaller size than xbox.

nOoblet16

I am doing way better on PC with mouse and keyboard then controller.
Perhaps that's just because your playstyle gears more towards aiming with range weapons than close combat. Yes you can aim better with a shotgun but you still have to use movement to get closer safely which you can do a lot better with a controller. Considering the game is designed around CQC and blindfire (meaning movement is key and hardliners are at disadvantage) you might even hit higher peak if you can become better with the controller...but that's debatable ofcourse.

Top Bottom