• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

Theorry

Is Horde Mode still amazing?

Even better then before. The classes are cool.

--

That feeling when you go on a Gnasher spree and clear a point.

giphy.gif

f@luS

More than a member.
Don't you guys find that there is some slight input lag ? Didn't play gears for a long time maybe it's how it's intended but it's not as reactive as any other shooter. Feels "heavy" not in a good way
Am I alone ? :eek:

Ricker

Is it just me or are the new Roadie run extras really hard to pull,like hit B to quick vault over something or am I experiencing this input lag thing for the first time(on X1)...or maybe I am missing something,will recheck the controls this evening when I play again.

Am I alone ? :eek:

Nope,think I am feeling that also...

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Stats menu is still there. Isn't it called war journal or something? I remember browsing through it the other night

Found it lol on the main menu. Derp moment.

destroying cards. Some bounty cards give you it as a reward too.

Thanks.

Don't you guys find that there is some slight input lag ? Didn't play gears for a long time maybe it's how it's intended but it's not as reactive as any other shooter. Feels "heavy" not in a good way

Feels great to me but I have noticed some shots don't seem to go off with the Gnasher.

For those who are downloading the whole game again instead of patch just do this.

Close windows store
open powershell as admin
run this code below

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

let it finish then reopen windows store.

Worked perfectly
Quoting as this is what finally worked for me, though it didn't my first time. My second attempt I made sure to cancel my update first, then restarted computer, then ran powershell, restarted again, then started updating. It got up to about 100 meg, then finally showed me the total size of 387 or whatever. Then at 387 my bar was still tiny, and I just had to wait. I guess it was moving files as everyone said? Took about 30 more minutes and now I can play.

Quoting as this is what finally worked for me, though it didn't my first time. My second attempt I made sure to cancel my update first, then restarted computer, then ran powershell, restarted again, then started updating. It got up to about 100 meg, then finally showed me the total size of 387 or whatever. Then at 387 my bar was still tiny, and I just had to wait. I guess it was moving files as everyone said? Took about 30 more minutes and now I can play.

Yeah, this worked.

Another tip is DON'T pause and resume. It seems to stop at 384, if you pause it like I was it will fuck up and keep showing the file size getting bigger and bigger. Once it gets to 384, let it sit for a few minutes and you'll see the progress bar start filling, even though the download isn't going. That must be when it is moving files over.

Some of the actions/inputs are indeed feeling off. Not ruining the game, but it can be frustrating when your character won't vault or the Gnasher doesn't fire.

Played Gears 1 UE recently and felt there were some similar issues, though perhaps not as bad

Soulflarz

Banned
gears bothers people cause it's 90 footsies and popshots with stuff
er
high level gears is weird and it's awkward
gears 3 is ezpz imho, gears 4 is taking a ton of time for me to adjust to though, ughh

might just go play execution to have proper gnashers.
...gnashers do more in competitive, that's still really dumb, balance your game better.

MANGOD

Banned
Ive not dabbled in gears since 3 and have only briefly played the remaster. Ive played the prologue and am up to act 3 and theres something just not clicking for me.
Ive been playing on my 4k tv with hdr enabled and im presuming the input lag is just to high for my tv as the controls are really pissing me off with how unresponsive they are. Jacky as fuck and goddam it is it asking to much to be able to switch shoulder views! Rant over

Soulflarz

Banned
Ive not dabbled in gears since 3 and have only briefly played the remaster. Ive played the prologue and am up to act 3 and theres something just not clicking for me.
Ive been playing on my 4k tv with hdr enabled and im presuming the input lag is just to high for my tv as the controls are really pissing me off with how unresponsive they are. Jacky as fuck and goddam is it asking to much to be able to switch shoulder views! Rant over

gears has always had right hand advantage
I mean you can force lefty I'm sure.

gears bothers people cause it's 90 footsies and popshots with stuff
er
high level gears is weird and it's awkward
gears 3 is ezpz imho, gears 4 is taking a ton of time for me to adjust to though, ughh

might just go play execution to have proper gnashers.
...gnashers do more in competitive, that's still really dumb, balance your game better.

I think the idea was to not have gnashers totally dominating the core playlists.. and it worked. They are still viable, I'm never not carrying one, you just can't only use that weapon.

do all the guns in gears have terrible recoil?

playing with a controller so far and its felt terrible. going to test KB/M later.

If you're moving, yes. The lancer and hammerburst both have excellent recoil if you're stationary, the enforcer can even get downs at range if you fire in bursts.

I think the idea was to not have gnashers totally dominating the core playlists.. and it worked. They are still viable, I'm never not carrying one, you just can't only use that weapon.

That's a lazy solution to avoid properly balancing the weapons. Don't want the Gnasher to dominate? Then don't build it and the levels/sandbox in a way that it dominates.

Chin35char

So I'm in Act 2 now, chapter two. Do the enemies get any more cool because this game is fantastic except for maybe the most boring enemy type I have ever seen.

Soulflarz

Banned
That's a lazy solution to avoid properly balancing the weapons. Don't want the Gnasher to dominate? Then don't build it and the levels/sandbox in a way that it dominates.

Gnasher not dominating by nerfing it so you can only realistically win a 1v1 with it (you shouldn't be winning a 2v1 nowadays) is very unfun, especially for people who used to rely on it and do very well. Instead the style I played gears 3 kinda just...gets me maimed in 4
Not to say I only used it, but it definitely was the most fun teamwipe weapon for me.

Gears has never had the best balance, 3 is still probably going to remain my favorite one for everything at the least being viable. I shouldn't have to play execution mode for the old gears footsies that we loved though.

So while playing Gears 4, I thought I'd play it a bit differently and take some screenshots. I've uploaded the full gallery here
Here's a few tasters (open image in a new tab for maximum geargasm)
1920 x 1080 resolution

Will be adding a lot more
Edit: Forgot to mention, these are shots from the Xbox One version. Yep.

Saying all levels are designed for Gnasher play is misleading.. they are designed for flanking. The gnasher feels totally fine, I've been playing Versus since Friday and aside from the random (frustrating) shotty delay after a roll they are great and feel balanced.

Gnasher not dominating by nerfing it so you can only realistically win a 1v1 with it (you shouldn't be winning a 2v1 nowadays) is very unfun, especially for people who used to rely on it and do very well. Instead the style I played gears 3 kinda just...gets me maimed in 4
Not to say I only used it, but it definitely was the most fun teamwipe weapon for me.

Gears has never had the best balance, 3 is still probably going to remain my favorite one for everything at the least being viable. I shouldn't have to play execution mode for the old gears footsies that we loved though.

I've seen plenty of players go 2v1 with a gnasher, shit -- I've seen 3v1 a couple times in Dodgeball. The gnasher is not the problem. Just because you can't rush in head on and dominate with only that weapon anymore doesn't mean it's useless.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I went 3-8 first TDM, 13-4 second TDM, got 3 + bonus 40 credits in the first, 5 + bonus 50 in the second...
Someone please tell me this isn't real.

Leyasu

Banned
I went 3-8 first TDM, 13-4 second TDM, got 3 + bonus 40 credits in the first, 5 + bonus 50 in the second...
Someone please tell me this isn't real.

Ive been getting 70+ per win. My last game I went 18-3 and got a whopping 80 coins lol.

Opened an elite pack for a load if shit as well. Oh well. Game is just too good tho to let it get me down at the mo.

Been stuck multiple times though and it's constantly erroring too. If they think I'm downloading the whole game again then they can refund me my money.

Mine did this. Cant remember exact error code but when i googled it the solution was:
See if there is a folder called 'AUInstallAgent' in windows folder. If not create one.
Restart pc.

Strangly this worked. My download then just said downloading 344 of 367 (or there abouts). The numbers never changed but the bar was moving. When it reached the end it was done and worked.

Bit of a shit show but got there in the end.

Anyway, played the first 2 acts. Good fun. Running this on Alienware alpha, i5 860m model. 1080p, medium settings but high textures 50-60 fps for the most part. Im rather impressed with it.

Theorry

Well whatever, at least the one flaw with the game is grindy online cosmetics. I'll take that over any other issue.

Yeah same here. They just need to tweak it until it feels rewarding but also not broken that you get to much. Hopefully they add also like daily win packages or something or like daily win credits.
Just glad they responded fast also. Even tho its still not great.

Soulflarz

Banned
Saying all levels are designed for Gnasher play is misleading.. they are designed for flanking. The gnasher feels totally fine, I've been playing Versus since Friday and aside from the random (frustrating) shotty delay after a roll they are great and feel balanced.

I've seen plenty of players go 2v1 with a gnasher, shit -- I've seen 3v1 a couple times in Dodgeball. The gnasher is not the problem. Just because you can't rush in head on and dominate with only that weapon anymore doesn't mean it's useless.

I'm referring to when 3 people stand in the open or such, not "well okay, one ran into me and I OHKO'd and moved on", cause you shouldn't be winning the normal fights anymore.

Theorry

Arms Race and Dodgeball are pretty damn awesome. Great work adding two new good modes.

Dodgeball is great yeah. I always loved Execution but yeah sometimes you just sit there if you are killed quick. Now you are still active watching. And then bam you are back. The gamemode goes up and down. Its great.

What are the tradeoffs that they implemented for 60fps multiplayer on console? Is it dynamic resolution to 720p? lower quality assets or what? Digital Foundry have a video up yet? I'm curious. Also if so are those features like Dynamic res available on PC as well?

Top Bottom