• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 4 |OT| Still Epic

I'm so frustrated with this game. The beta was pure Gears nirvana and gave me the expectations that this would be the peak of the franchise.

My expectations were quickly shot down by how broken and unreliable the Gnasher is. Since the Gnasher is the bread and butter of this game's MP it pretty much ruins the experience.

Onikaan

I'm so frustrated with this game. The beta was pure Gears nirvana and gave me the expectations that this would be the peak of the franchise.

My expectations were quickly shot down by how broken and unreliable the Gnasher is. Since the Gnasher is the bread and butter of this game's MP it pretty much ruins the experience.

This is how I feel.

Beta MP>Final Game

TRios Zen

We're on hardcore. I've never been a fan of bullet sponge enemies in any game.It just feels like such an artificial way to increase "difficulty" and it always comes off as tedious to me. I had the same complaint with Destiny. My comment above was harsher than I intended it to be. My friend and I are still having a great time even though I'm not enjoying the combat as much as I'd like.

OH I hear you - and the campaign isn't perfect, but despite its faults I did enjoy it, a lot.

Bullet sponge enemies are why I didn't start on Insane difficulty, and as it is, I think hardcore is the right mix of challenging but achievable (the new normal maybe?).

th4tguy

Looking at buying this for PC. Is there a way to just buy it once and have it available on two computers? I do this with PS4 digital games so the wife and I can play coop together.

Do they normally expand the campaign via DLC in the gears series? I was just thinking whether the season pass would be worth it - I probably won't be playing much/any multi.

Do they normally expand the campaign via DLC in the gears series? I was just thinking whether the season pass would be worth it - I probably won't be playing much/any multi.

No they do not normally do that, they have done it a few times though, but I would still say hold off on the season pass until they announce something. Right now it seems super pointless unless you play a lot of private matches.

m23

It's documented that the Gnasher fires phantom rounds that do not register as hitting the target and sometimes your entire shot itself doesn't register as leaving your weapon. Idk what to tell you.

I'm assuming that's a network issue and not the actual shotgun balance.

It was also present in the beta from what I recall, where the gun wouldn't shoot.

Gurrry

Just played for the first time last night and had a question.

Is there no way to stay in the same lobby and continually play TDM the whole time? The only option I saw was to play ranked and pick TDM every time. The other option was the Social one and it lets you vote on a game mode and map after each round.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's fun when people watch you bleed out. Why revive.

I ran out of my way to revive a teammate, almost getting killed by crossfire. I get a kill on a guy sprinting up, he goes down again, I pick him up again. Then I go down and I see he roadie runs away to rush a guy and get blasted down.

good job man

So what's the verdict on this game, specifically the campaign and horde modes? Those are what I'm most interested in playing. Also, is the split screen implementation good? I'd like to play through it with a friend.

aBarreras

Just played for the first time last night and had a question.

Is there no way to stay in the same lobby and continually play TDM the whole time? The only option I saw was to play ranked and pick TDM every time. The other option was the Social one and it lets you vote on a game mode and map after each round.

since these are ranked matches, you need to do matchmaking to make sure there are 10 players everytime,

they should implement a social playlist where you can select the game mode, because sometimes the voting system dont work and you get to play 10 warzones in a fucking row

The horde part

are playing on insane or something? we took like 2 tries to pass it on hardcore

I ran out of my way to revive a teammate, almost getting killed by crossfire. I get a kill on a guy sprinting up, he goes down again, I pick him up again. Then I go down and I see he roadie runs away to rush a guy and get blasted down.

good job man

My favorite is the classic kill steal after helping your teammate out.

You see him go down so you open fire and down the enemy before they can finish your guy off. Then you make the grave mistake of reviving your teammate first only to watch him immediately blow away the enemy you just downed to save him.

I don't know why I can't get it through my head that I need to secure my kill first. Randoms can't be trusted.

Moofers

So what's the verdict on this game, specifically the campaign and horde modes? Those are what I'm most interested in playing. Also, is the split screen implementation good? I'd like to play through it with a friend.

Campaign is excellent and so is Horde. The leveling and skill building in Horde is a grind with the card system but its still a lot of fun and chasing the next skill slot unlock is addicting. I think its the best version of Horde that's been done in any game, hands down.

vort3x

YES.

That's what I was complaining about here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=220017605&postcount=4548

It seems like it's been happening fewer and farther between as I've been playing but some games it's so often I have to just back out because when the action ramps up it's unplayable.

I've yet to have this happen to me. Looks a lot similar to the freeze that happens in the beginning of the matches. Have you guys tried doing the 4 game refresh? See if it still does it after that?

vort3x

Have you guys seen this? They're showing out of stock but you can still pre-order. I don't think they're released yet.

51xBwiZBGjL._AC_US160_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LP5V5CU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

51eAPrQrf4L._AC_US160_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LP5V6F6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Campaign is excellent and so is Horde. The leveling and skill building in Horde is a grind with the card system but its still a lot of fun and chasing the next skill slot unlock is addicting. I think its the best version of Horde that's been done in any game, hands down.

Good. Good. Good.

Sounds awesome, thanks for the replies. Though it isn't making my decision between this and Dragon Quest Builders any easier...

aBarreras

I've yet to have this happen to me. Looks a lot similar to the freeze that happens in the beginning of the matches. Have you guys tried doing the 4 game refresh? See if it still does it after that?

this has been happening since friday, the freeze at the begining started with the patch on tuesday D:

Soulflarz

Banned
I guess asking in here- anyone want to help me run through the end on insane (you can be on any difficulty)

After 4-4 threw away my save I kinda have no will to solo that section again and just want to run it in coop :< ugh

Doubt I'll get anyone agreeing to it, but hey, I guess I can ask <_>

Alternatively I'm fine with just 4-4 if no one has the time, I just...don't want to waste an hour praying on rng in the opening door that I don't get nade lobbed 100x, that section is all luck :/

It kinda pains me (and my wallet, sorta) that I've beaten the game and now find myself with no desire to replay it again. It's what happened with Gears 3 and Judgment as well. I enjoyed the ride but don't feel like getting on again. I tried a match of Horde mode and didn't have a lot of fun.

Oh well, at least it's still there when I ever want to replay.

Leyasu

Banned

good job man

Fucking love playing online with people not wearing headsets..

Iceman829

Iam the only one who has not even touched campaign yet? when I get home from work, I go directly to team deathmatch

I only played the prologue launch night to tune some of my settings. Was going to play it co-op, but my partners internet died the other night. Been sticking to mp and horde

Grisby

Thinking back over the campaign today.

It was really good, but the lowest point for me was the (end of act 4 spoilers)
Swrumak. The first part with the reactors was ok, but the blisters felt like they were too pin point and there was an overdose of scions for that fight. Felt like that boss battle was made for co-op and on solo
it just dragged wayyyyy longer than it should have.

The Coalition did a damn good job though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Oh hell yeah.

Glad I got this for free from the nvidia promotion!

Been playing it on my PC and really pleased with how well it runs!

nOoblet16

Anyone up for private versus games ? PC and Xbox welcome?

It would be massive fun. As someone who has spent majority of his 5000 hours of Gears time playing private, nothing comes close to it ! And surely not playing against matched players on xbl.

Plus rolling matches and custom weapon placements !

Top Bottom